Metal Storm logo
Deathspell Omega

Original post

Posted by , 18.05.2006 - 11:39
A band truly leading the way in modern black metal with the godlike masterpiece that is 'Kenose', these have become a personal fave of mine.

Shrouded in mystery, they used to play a more typical (but very good) raw sounding black metal but 'Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice' saw the progression on to a more modern, intelligent form. They are perhaps most famous for their lyrical content which is concerned with satanism on a metaphysical level. You have to see and hear the lyrics for yourself to gauge why they're so phenominal.

Probably my fave black metal band really.
11.03.2009 - 16:14
Ascendant187

I was wondering, for those that have it, what they thought of the album Fas - Ite, Maledicti, In Ignem Aeternum? I saw it recently for a decent prize and was curious, as I've heard the Deathspell name thrown around here and there. Also, how long is the album?
11.03.2009 - 16:57
Hellkommando

Written by Ascendant187 on 11.03.2009 at 16:14

I was wondering, for those that have it, what they thought of the album Fas - Ite, Maledicti, In Ignem Aeternum? I saw it recently for a decent prize and was curious, as I've heard the Deathspell name thrown around here and there. Also, how long is the album?

The album goes for around 45 minutes, I have only just started listening to it and so far its pretty sweet and im liking it so far, hope that helps dude.
----

Formerly Desolate Gale
12.03.2009 - 16:11
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
It's pretty good indeed, I wouldn't say it's their best (that honour goes to Kenose and the recent split with S.V.E.S.T.) but it's still better than 98% of other black metal out there. It's definitely their most violent and dense album to date too.
12.03.2009 - 19:31
Lathronniel

Great band indeed, worth a lot listening it. I listened to it year ago, impressed me from the first listening The ideology is just perfect and the harmonization with the all instruments and elements is again perfect .
----
I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith...
12.03.2009 - 21:46
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I actually found a local store that sells All Deathspells work. I'm really surprised. I wouldn't expect to find a fairly underground, French, and Black Metal band sold in a store close to me. I can finally check these guys out for more then a few songs.
----
Coldgrits
29.08.2009 - 18:53
Got Mayhem?

I just started listening to these guys and it's definitely an interesting trip, namely their last two full lengths. There alot of times while listening to Fas that i'm reminded of Ordo Ad Chao by Mayhem. There are definitely some similar ideas being thrown around there.
----
09.11.2009 - 04:47
ItalktotheWind
Wood Troll
Amazing band. I actually have a tattoo of the words "Si Monumentum Requires Circumspice" under a Dore engraving of lucifer. Fas is my favorite full-length of theirs but the "Chaining the Katechon" EP is my favorite work by them. Their music is definitely love, hate or misunderstand.
----
"A witty saying proves nothing."
-Voltaire
12.11.2009 - 14:58
Ginnung

It's good to read that the lyrical concept is important for you, I agree. DSO is a great band.
29.12.2009 - 02:02
Got Mayhem?

Worst thing about DSO: Having no idea when a new piece of music is going to be comming out...
----
30.12.2009 - 15:06
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
http://www.cfprod.com/nh

All rare earlier recordings now reissued as a 5LP boxset. Just thought I'd spread the news.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
13.05.2010 - 22:44
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
After 5 or so years of listening to this I think SMRC is overtaking Kénosê as my favourite release of theirs. I also think Fas... is too technical and dense for its own good. Will always be a great album but never a classic. Can only wonder what the third part of the trilogy will be like, I'm predicting more melody than usual with a smattering of clean vocals, like in their last EP.

For a while I thought was actually getting bored of this band but I think it was more a case of me being disenfranchised by the deluge of internet morons that perpetually fornicate each other over the band's lyrics as if it were sent by Satan himself as the most profound written doctrine known to man, despite the fact not one of the fuckers can ever give any insight into what the lyrics actually mean.
14.05.2010 - 00:56
TheBigRossowski

When I listen to the song Crushing the Holy Trinity, I think about Leviathan a bit. Great shit, man, great shit
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
14.05.2010 - 02:19
Got Mayhem?

Written by TheBigRossowski on 14.05.2010 at 00:56

When I listen to the song Crushing the Holy Trinity, I think about Leviathan a bit. Great shit, man, great shit

I'm pretty sure that Wrest must have been listening to a lot of post-Shaxul DSO when recording Massive Conspiracy Against All Life. The guitars definitely seem to echo a Kenose/Fas style (But not nearly as chaotic and technical) and vocally he seems to echo Mikko Aspa as well. Both great bands and albums, but at the end of the day Deathspell Omega is superior in my mind. Like you said, it's great shit.
----
19.05.2010 - 01:24
Got Mayhem?

Anyone know where any news about the band can be found? I'm 99.9% certain at this point that they don't actually exist but I might as well ask.
----
23.05.2010 - 10:59
TheBigRossowski

Written by Got Mayhem? on 19.05.2010 at 01:24

Anyone know where any news about the band can be found? I'm 99.9% certain at this point that they don't actually exist but I might as well ask.

Go to the NED website. If anything happens with the band, you'll hear it from them first.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
12.07.2010 - 03:36
Got Mayhem?

I'm feeling a new album coming shortly (kinda) in the future. Typically DSO tend to release a full length, then an EP and split or two, and then in 3 or so years another full length. Fas... was released in '07 so...

I'm just an impatient fanboy really
----
12.07.2010 - 14:03
The Turbanator

Right. Haven't really paid any attention to this band, to be honest. Which album should I start off with?
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
12.07.2010 - 15:42
Got Mayhem?

Written by The Turbanator on 12.07.2010 at 14:03

Right. Haven't really paid any attention to this band, to be honest. Which album should I start off with?

Well, I don't think they have ever really made an 'accesible' album. But I think the majority will agree that their top three albums are "Si Monumentum Requires Circumspice", the "Kenose" EP, and "Fas, ite Maledicti in Ignem Aeternum". "SMRC" might be hard to digest because of it's length (77 mins). At the same time "Fas" is incredibly dense and complex. You can't go wrong with any of them because in their own twisted way they're all genious, you just may have to give them more than one chance to sink in. Hope you like them!
----
12.07.2010 - 17:00
The Turbanator

Written by Got Mayhem? on 12.07.2010 at 15:42

Well, I don't think they have ever really made an 'accesible' album. But I think the majority will agree that their top three albums are "Si Monumentum Requires Circumspice", the "Kenose" EP, and "Fas, ite Maledicti in Ignem Aeternum". "SMRC" might be hard to digest because of it's length (77 mins). At the same time "Fas" is incredibly dense and complex. You can't go wrong with any of them because in their own twisted way they're all genious, you just may have to give them more than one chance to sink in. Hope you like them!

Thanks man. I'll give "Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice" a spin now.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
13.07.2010 - 06:54
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt

Well, I don't think they have ever really made an 'accesible' album.

Manifestations 2002 is very accessible, and usually what I recommend to people who want to check them out.
13.07.2010 - 16:15
Got Mayhem?

Written by Dangerboner on 13.07.2010 at 06:54

Well, I don't think they have ever really made an 'accesible' album.

Manifestations 2002 is very accessible, and usually what I recommend to people who want to check them out.

Yea that's a good choice. I like to rec their 'new' sound to people because that's what they're usually interested in when asking about this band. Manifestations is definitely a good halfway mark between their old and new sound though, considering it was recorded after "Inquisitors", which of course was the album before "SMRC". Oddly enough I have yet to enjoy it as much as anything that came 'afterward'.
----
18.07.2010 - 19:14
Javier_000

I might ask to the people in the community about Deathspell Omega's "last albums". As far i remember i've heard Infernal Battles album and i really loved it.

Do Deathspell Omega has any 2008 - 20xx release? / been quite off the scene for some years now ^^
----
i freaks my draulics phuckin' hoes in college... beetches swinging on my nuts is so stylish...
19.07.2010 - 06:07
Got Mayhem?

Written by Javier_000 on 18.07.2010 at 19:14

I might ask to the people in the community about Deathspell Omega's "last albums". As far i remember i've heard Infernal Battles album and i really loved it.

Do Deathspell Omega has any 2008 - 20xx release? / been quite off the scene for some years now ^^

Well, since Infernal Battles the major releases have been:

Inquisitors of Satan - Full length 2002
Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice - Full length 2004
Kénôse - EP 2005
Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum - Full length 2007
Manifestations 2000-2001 - Compilation 2008
Manifestations 2002 - Compilation 2008
Veritas Diaboli Manet in Aeternum : Chaining the Katechon - EP 2008
Mass Grave Aesthetics - EP 2008

There have been some more splits and such but again, those are the major ones.
----
19.07.2010 - 18:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Mass Grave Aesthetics is actually from 2005 and was re-released as stand alone ep in 2008
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.09.2010 - 23:46
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
New Deathspell Omega album being released in November entitled 'Paracletus' and being released on Seasons of Mist.

Score.
04.09.2010 - 00:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
On Season Of Mist? Interesting, first Watain from NED to Season Of Mist and now DSO
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.09.2010 - 00:25
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Yeah it seems everyone's jumping ship.
04.09.2010 - 01:59
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
New album? November?

... Sweeeeeeeet, I know what I want for birthday present then.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
04.09.2010 - 02:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 04.09.2010 at 01:59

New album? November?

... Sweeeeeeeet, I know what I want for birthday present then.

to be able to got Dutch Doom Days and Roadburn
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.09.2010 - 03:17
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.09.2010 at 02:09

to be able to got Dutch Doom Days and Roadburn

Meh... With my current situation I can just make that wish before I die from cancer or something.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.