Metal Storm logo
Deathspell Omega

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 18.05.2006 - 11:39
A band truly leading the way in modern black metal with the godlike masterpiece that is 'Kenose', these have become a personal fave of mine.

Shrouded in mystery, they used to play a more typical (but very good) raw sounding black metal but 'Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice' saw the progression on to a more modern, intelligent form. They are perhaps most famous for their lyrical content which is concerned with satanism on a metaphysical level. You have to see and hear the lyrics for yourself to gauge why they're so phenominal.

Probably my fave black metal band really.
15.11.2010 - 22:13
The Turbanator
Still can't get into them, after listening their latest release. This is mehhhh for me.

Oh and

Written by John Barleycorn on 11.11.2010 at 14:17
I am not in general a fan of wankery but I can enjoy some good masturbation from time to time

One of the best quote ever.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
16.11.2010 - 03:20
Prugor
Mr. Offensive
Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice, Kénôse, Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum are better in my opinion than the new album. New album just seems all thrown around, like a big chaotic mess.
----
Ah... Girl look at that body, Ah... I work out
16.11.2010 - 08:46
GTCarlson
Written by Prugor on 16.11.2010 at 03:20

Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice, Kénôse, Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum are better in my opinion than the new album. New album just seems all thrown around, like a big chaotic mess.

I'm assuming you mean you don't like the mix of slower and faster and more melodic stuff, because Fas is far and away the "chaotic mess" of their library. I think this one flows a lot better than Fas or Kenos do, not as good as SMRC but there is a general flow to the whole album. All in all at the moment this is at the top of my list for albums, but it's too early to tell if it will stick there after it's no longer "new".
16.11.2010 - 13:16
Prugor
Mr. Offensive
I still don't like it. I feel Kenose, SMRC, and Fas were alot stronger and had more of a punch.
----
Ah... Girl look at that body, Ah... I work out
17.11.2010 - 21:06
The Turbanator
Right. I'm gonna give Si Monumentum Requieres, Circumspice another listen. Lets see if this changes my mind.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
18.11.2010 - 09:20
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by The Turbanator on 17.11.2010 at 21:06

Right. I'm gonna give Si Monumentum Requieres, Circumspice another listen. Lets see if this changes my mind.

If Paracletus isn't up your alley, Si Monumentum won't be either I'm afraid. It's much harder to digest, it's less listener friendly so to speak. And it's almost twice as long as Paracletus.
18.11.2010 - 21:53
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Daniell on 18.11.2010 at 09:20

If Paracletus isn't up your alley, Si Monumentum won't be either I'm afraid. It's much harder to digest, it's less listener friendly so to speak. And it's almost twice as long as Paracletus.

Surely you mean FAS? SMRC is infinitely more listenable than Paracletus. The only thing it has over Paracletus is it's length which daunts a lot of people but it has a very simplistic structure compared to Paracletus. In fact Kenose, FAS, Katechon and Paracletus are remarkably different to SMRC, so much so that it's almost a bit of a black sheep in the sense it lacks the technical complexity of the latter three but is clearly not in the old school vein of Inquisitos of Satan et al. SMRC and Kenose are almost as different as Inquisitors and SMRC are.
18.11.2010 - 21:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
SMRC is clearly a transitional album music wise from their straight ahead old school bm of Inquisitors Of Satan to their current sound.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.11.2010 - 21:57
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Definitely, it's a great album because of that I'd say, It's a way off from the technical prowess of Kenose though.
18.11.2010 - 22:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 18.11.2010 at 21:57

Definitely, it's a great album because of that I'd say, It's a way off from the technical prowess of Kenose though.

And still SMRC is my favourite DSO album. Somehow it is so much darker than the other albums. And of course it listens as if you're attending a black mass.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.11.2010 - 22:10
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
The choral, operatic if you like, sections are definitely something that works extremely well in their music. Shame they didn't do it more often.
18.11.2010 - 22:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 18.11.2010 at 22:10

The choral, operatic if you like, sections are definitely something that works extremely well in their music. Shame they didn't do it more often.

Indeed, although I do enjoy the works after SMRC a lot as well. But somehow SMRC is still the best imo
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.11.2010 - 22:14
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Yeah it's probably my second fave after Kenose which for me has that perfect balance, Katechon coming third. I rarely listen to FAS though. I really should give it a proper few listens sometime.
18.11.2010 - 22:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 18.11.2010 at 22:14

Yeah it's probably my second fave after Kenose which for me has that perfect balance, Katechon coming third. I rarely listen to FAS though. I really should give it a proper few listens sometime.

FAS is best enjoyed on a good sound system and with headphones.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.11.2010 - 23:16
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Guest on 18.11.2010 at 21:53

Surely you mean FAS? SMRC is infinitely more listenable than Paracletus. The only thing it has over Paracletus is it's length which daunts a lot of people but it has a very simplistic structure compared to Paracletus. In fact Kenose, FAS, Katechon and Paracletus are remarkably different to SMRC, so much so that it's almost a bit of a black sheep in the sense it lacks the technical complexity of the latter three but is clearly not in the old school vein of Inquisitos of Satan et al. SMRC and Kenose are almost as different as Inquisitors and SMRC are.

Of course I meant Fas. Which isn't that long either... I think it's called a brainfart
18.11.2010 - 23:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Daniell on 18.11.2010 at 23:16

Written by Guest on 18.11.2010 at 21:53

Of course I meant Fas. Which isn't that long either... I think it's called a brainfart

Or did you mean a mix of FAS and SMRC? Cause SMRC is almost twice as long whereas FAS is about as long as Paracletus.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.11.2010 - 00:03
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
I haven't listened to any DsO prior to Paracletus for about 1 year and it shows
17.10.2011 - 03:54
JÄY
Metal slave
Where should I start with this band?
17.10.2011 - 04:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by JÄY on 17.10.2011 at 03:54
Where should I start with this band?

The Kenose EP for sure, then follow the trilogy in order: Si Monumentum ---> Fas ---> Paracletus.

Maybe end with Kenose actually, after the trilogy. Kind of a best for last situation.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.10.2011 - 07:04
Savopipo
I've always enjoyed DO when listening to them but I feel now that I lost track of them somewhere along the way. Great black metal band with the right feeling though.
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
04.02.2012 - 01:30
Solemn23
Account deleted
Quote:
Deathspell Omega - Paracletus (full-length)
Through: Norma Evangelium Diaboli / Season of Mist - 2010 (CD/LP)

ALBUM REVIEW:
For most of those familiar with the Black Metal Underground, this band needs no actual introduction anymore. For those few who've managed to stay oblivious to the arts of Deathspell Omega for as long as they have, it's probably time to sell your shit metal collection and get out your pop-rock albums again and quit while you're ahead.

Deathspell Omega's "Paracletus" is their self-proclaimed third volume of their full-length trident, after primarily "Si Momentum Requires, Circumspice" and secondly "Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum". And like its foregoers it does not disappoint for a second. These full albums known for their extreme variety of tempo and riff structures are truly masterpieces that give the term Black Metal a whole other dimension. Paracletus has everything you would expect from a worthy Deathspell Omega full-length. Words are merely here to guide you, but it is by far an album to be experienced first-hand, at full volume. This entire album is dissonant, vile, wrong but oh so right, crude yet so delicate, measured chaos, sinister, ominous, and so much more. Again piling up the odd and off pace guitar riffs, mainly influenced by some wicked jazz, track after track. This also lengthens itself as far as the drum patterns that seem to be ever changing in their structure and rhythm. Whereas Mikko's known harsh convicting vocals and whispering damnation are pretty well known and appreciated, I was positively surprised by a short clear spoken praise in the song "Dearth" (presumably done by Hasjarl or a guest).

While the influences of jazz and fusion are promptly mentioned in many reviews or columns about this band, do not underestimate the power of Deathspell Omega to still throw in the more than occasional fast, blasting crude black metal violence in to their tracks. And know that especially their full-lengths will even contain some very, almost casual, classical influenced, obscure interludes.

SCORE: 93%

S.23
31.05.2012 - 16:14
The Turbanator
New DSO!

----
31.05.2012 - 17:02
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
That's it? :/
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
31.05.2012 - 17:54
The Turbanator
Written by Troy Killjoy on 31.05.2012 at 17:02

That's it? :/

yeah sadly. Hopefully other songs are longer.
----
31.05.2012 - 18:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by The Turbanator on 31.05.2012 at 17:54
yeah sadly. Hopefully other songs are longer.

It wasn't the length that bothered me. It was the song. Sounds like a Kenose reject.
----
03.06.2012 - 15:14
Oaken
Hipster
SMRC was such a monster. I unfortunately haven't checked out the other albums yet.
EDIT: I didn't like Fas and Drought AT ALL. To me, they came off as chaotic white noise, which made listening to them extremely painful.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
05.07.2012 - 15:18
helofloki
I love this band. Picked up paracletus a couple weeks ago and can't stop listening to it. These songs are so well made and so deliciously evil. They make their guitars sound like organs in a satanic cathedral. They can take a single riff or melody and transform it from hideous black chaos into a spectral universe of sound. Each moment is carefully chosen, each note given its due. I hear some post rock influences on here that I dig and yet it still maintains that Deathspell Omega atmosphere. I highly recommend this to anyone who likes their music with a spoonfull of evil. This is good stuff.
10.09.2012 - 02:34
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I've slowly fell in love with this band, they've been inspiring me a lot lately.
06.09.2014 - 18:43
V01d
For a chronological listen that spans Deathspell Omega's discography, and for a more complete understanding of the progression of their sound, here is the correct order of their works, to my understanding:

Infernal Battles
Manifestations 2000-2001
Inquisitors of Satan
Manifestations 2002
Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice
Mass Grave Aesthetics
Kénôse
Diabolus Absconditus
Fas - Ite, Maledicti, In Ignem Aeternum
Chaining the Katechon
Paracletus
Drought
27.09.2014 - 13:51
Persona
If you want a briefer recap, Infernal Battles has an early version of Drink the Devil's Blood. It's interesting comparing that one to the one of SMRC. The first one is a by-the-numbers raw black metal song, with straightforward satanic lyrics and a production that would give Ulver a headache. If you played me this in 2000 and told me what DsO would later accomplish, I would have laughed in your face. Makes me wonder how many other bands could make brilliant records by simply fine-tuning their sound.