01. Cosmic Cortex
02. Echoless Chamber
03. Dying World
04. Tetrastructural Minds
05. Venus Project
06. Dark Creations, Dead Creators
07. Fast Paced Society
08. Outer Isolation

Oh shit, the Killjoy is reviewing a thrash metal album. Brace yourselves.

ADD-friendly review: This is not the worst album of the revivalist thrash movement I've come across.

In spite of my pseudo-crusade against anything revivalist, I admittedly found Vektor's Outer Isolation to be a clear step above the rest. Now, I compared these guys to Toxik when I first listened to the over-hyped debut, Black Future. They immediately built success off that sound, a highly technical form of thrash metal that even drew some appreciation from the prog crowd. Yet, people kept telling me how much more they had in common with Voivod, so I took a break and caught up with those old school thrashers.

Basically, if you listened to these guys before listening to Voivod and you didn't know Voivod is to thrash what Black Sabbath is to old folk's home, you'd think Vektor were being ripped off. Then you throw in Destruction, Coroner, Watchtower... all bands clearly miles ahead of Vektor, but all awesome bands. Which makes this awesome.

A proper review should focus more on the music than this, no? Well it's hard to focus on what's being presented here because it's all been done before and so much better. Ignoring the '80s and taking this for what it is (a contemporary thrash release), it's pretty cool shit. It's aggressive/progressive balls-to-the-wall-wrecking-your-neck-punishment-for-decadence. The problem is there is absolutely no identity. Like so many revivalist bands, it just makes you want to listen to the masters that did it better more than 20 years ago.

These are undoubtedly incredibly talented musicians capable of pulling off some of the most technical thrashing you've heard in the last decade. They write their songs with direction and magnitude (oh yeah!), the lengthier tracks refusing to wander around aimlessly; the shrieking vocals are pitched to perfection, almost spine-chillingly so; and the overall power keeps the album flowing without the stripped down heavy/power influence so many thrash metal outfits seem to be falling victim to.

If you're too lazy to check out thrash metal's golden years, then Vektor will help you re-live the past. If you're the "I read the book before it was a movie" kind of person, there isn't anything special going on here.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 4
Production: 7

Written on 03.12.2011 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments page 7 / 7

Comments: 192   Visited by: 728 users
13.02.2012 - 01:40
JCJen7

Written by BitterCOld on 13.02.2012 at 01:35

perhaps i misinterpreted the "only review this album has" and "the one guy who didn't like it" (when is scoring an album between good and very good not liking something?) as whining, but you immediately pop into mind about someone who doesn't seem to shut up about disagreeing with a review... after all you've made numerous remarks about that horrible abomination of an 7X album i reviewed... reading the recent posts just reminded me of the others.

Yeah, the second someone pointed it out I realized I didn't mean to say that he didn't like it, that was my mistake. and about a7x, you have a point there. But, on this particular review/thread, I wasn't trying to call out the review.
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
06.06.2012 - 17:48
Rating: 8
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
The comments we're more fun than the review
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
02.12.2012 - 07:59
tuerda

Odd, this review. I think what it says applies to about 99% of revivalist thrash, but Vektor is pretty much the one band for which it isn't true. To my ears, Vektor is actually taking thrash metal in a new(ish) direction. Granted, its not reinventing the wheel, but its one of very few probably the only recent thrash bands I have listened to that doesn't make me say "yeah, I've heard that before". That being said, I did enjoy the review, and I see where some of the comparisons come from (Toxik, certainly. I can't really hear any Destruction though).
02.12.2012 - 17:55
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by tuerda on 02.12.2012 at 07:59
probably the only recent thrash bands I have listened to that doesn't make me say "yeah, I've heard that before".

Ever heard of Voivod?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.12.2012 - 19:50
tuerda

Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.12.2012 at 17:55

Written by tuerda on 02.12.2012 at 07:59
probably the only recent thrash bands I have listened to that doesn't make me say "yeah, I've heard that before".

Ever heard of Voivod?

Yeah, Troy seems to think Vektor is a Voivod ripoff too. Its weird since I hear much more Toxik than Voivod. I even went so far as to go Youtube diving and listen to at least two tracks from each of the early Voivod albums, just to make sure it was not just me remembering things wrong. It was quite an enjoyable experience, but it did not change my mind. Although the Voivod influences are evident, I really don't think Vektor is all that similar.
02.12.2012 - 19:57
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by tuerda on 02.12.2012 at 19:50
I even went so far as to go Youtube diving and listen to at least two tracks from each of the early Voivod albums, just to make sure it was not just me remembering things wrong.

Killing Technology and Dimension Hatröss to be more specific.

Discussion aside: If you haven't heard these two Voivod albums... Do it. They are fantastic.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.12.2012 - 20:17
tuerda

Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.12.2012 at 19:57

Written by tuerda on 02.12.2012 at 19:50
I even went so far as to go Youtube diving and listen to at least two tracks from each of the early Voivod albums, just to make sure it was not just me remembering things wrong.

Killing Technology and Dimension Hatröss to be more specific.

Discussion aside: If you haven't heard these two Voivod albums... Do it. They are fantastic.

Thanks for the recommendations. I have listened to Killing Technology in its entirety and I agree it is very good. Dimension Hatross will go on my to do list
14.04.2013 - 07:19
Rating: 8
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Despite what this review says, I think this album is like a slap of Thrash metal in your face, this is one of the most interesting bands in Thrash nowadays, along with those guys from New York called Children. Simply awesome.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
11.12.2020 - 02:06
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
This review is terrible. In need of a re-write...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
04.12.2022 - 21:46
Rating: 10
Blindearth

7.5 for this masterpiece???
05.12.2022 - 05:03
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Blindearth on 04.12.2022 at 21:46

7.5 for this masterpiece???

I stand by the rating but the content of the review should be dismissed; I could have been far more articulate and less self-absorbed to explain my reasoning behind the rating but I was just a baby boy.

Most ratings of mine degrade over the years but this one stands the test of time. I think it's just a few notes shy of greatness -- the production and technicality alone are worthy of that descriptor. It's more of a personal issue with the vocal style and songwriting. The complexity sometimes impedes the flow to the point of distraction for me.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
05.12.2022 - 07:07
Rating: 10
Blindearth

Its always personal issue. I am not a fan of Voivod but I enjoy Vektor's albums so much. Everything else has been said already in the comments above.

Hits total: 19413 | This month: 68