01. Cosmic Cortex
02. Echoless Chamber
03. Dying World
04. Tetrastructural Minds
05. Venus Project
06. Dark Creations, Dead Creators
07. Fast Paced Society
08. Outer Isolation

Oh shit, the Killjoy is reviewing a thrash metal album. Brace yourselves.

ADD-friendly review: This is not the worst album of the revivalist thrash movement I've come across.

In spite of my pseudo-crusade against anything revivalist, I admittedly found Vektor's Outer Isolation to be a clear step above the rest. Now, I compared these guys to Toxik when I first listened to the over-hyped debut, Black Future. They immediately built success off that sound, a highly technical form of thrash metal that even drew some appreciation from the prog crowd. Yet, people kept telling me how much more they had in common with Voivod, so I took a break and caught up with those old school thrashers.

Basically, if you listened to these guys before listening to Voivod and you didn't know Voivod is to thrash what Black Sabbath is to old folk's home, you'd think Vektor were being ripped off. Then you throw in Destruction, Coroner, Watchtower... all bands clearly miles ahead of Vektor, but all awesome bands. Which makes this awesome.

A proper review should focus more on the music than this, no? Well it's hard to focus on what's being presented here because it's all been done before and so much better. Ignoring the '80s and taking this for what it is (a contemporary thrash release), it's pretty cool shit. It's aggressive/progressive balls-to-the-wall-wrecking-your-neck-punishment-for-decadence. The problem is there is absolutely no identity. Like so many revivalist bands, it just makes you want to listen to the masters that did it better more than 20 years ago.

These are undoubtedly incredibly talented musicians capable of pulling off some of the most technical thrashing you've heard in the last decade. They write their songs with direction and magnitude (oh yeah!), the lengthier tracks refusing to wander around aimlessly; the shrieking vocals are pitched to perfection, almost spine-chillingly so; and the overall power keeps the album flowing without the stripped down heavy/power influence so many thrash metal outfits seem to be falling victim to.

If you're too lazy to check out thrash metal's golden years, then Vektor will help you re-live the past. If you're the "I read the book before it was a movie" kind of person, there isn't anything special going on here.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 4
Production: 7

Written on 03.12.2011 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments

Comments: 193   Visited by: 732 users
03.12.2011 - 23:43
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Troy Killjoy on 28.11.2011 at 19:26

Written by Angelic Storm on 28.11.2011 at 14:23
if this album is given a negative review by a staff member, they will incur a similar wrath that many associate only with mainstream metal fanboys.

----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
04.12.2011 - 00:02
Rating: 8
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Well i read the ADD review, and liked it.

even though it was made just to make fun of me.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
04.12.2011 - 00:03
Rating: 9
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
It's not about fanboyism. these guys are young and talented and you wrote a review as they are copy writers.

IMO this is one of the worst reviews i've ever read on MS. this band is all about music and this stupid review gives nothing to the reader about the band and/or their effort on the album. i call this nonsense....

this is not a masterpiece but especially the re-recorded songs are all very original and awesome....
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
04.12.2011 - 00:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Boxcar Willy on 04.12.2011 at 00:02

In all honesty that was actually written 3 days prior to your comment on OBC's article.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
04.12.2011 - 00:09
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Deadmeat on 04.12.2011 at 00:03
It's not about fanboyism. these guys are young and talented and you wrote a review as they are copy writers.
IMO this is one of the worst reviews i've ever read on MS. this band is all about music and this stupid review gives nothing to the reader about the band and/or their effort on the album. i call this nonsense....

Normally I'd give you this: -_-

But since you were so kind to point out the flaws in my review, allow me to explain.

I wrote this review like they're "copy writers" because they are. Everything here has been done before. And better. There are no original ideas here, not even one new concept. The sound is older than the wine in my grandfather's cellar.

I put more effort into this review than Vektor put into writing original songs.
----
04.12.2011 - 00:09
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.12.2011 at 00:05

Written by Boxcar Willy on 04.12.2011 at 00:02

In all honesty that was actually written 3 days prior to your comment on OBC's article.

well actually, I read the whole thing, And well I am a huge fan an of revivalist thrash metal, so it seems I should take a look at this
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
04.12.2011 - 00:12
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
* I don't have ADD for the record *
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
04.12.2011 - 00:12
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.12.2011 at 00:09

Written by Deadmeat on 04.12.2011 at 00:03

Normally I'd give you this: -_-

But since you were so kind to point out the flaws in my review, allow me to explain.

I wrote this review like they're "copy writers" because they are. Everything here has been done before. And better. There are no original ideas here, not even one new concept. The sound is older than the wine in my grandfather's cellar.

I put more effort into this review than Vektor put into writing original songs.

i just disagree COMPLETELY. i want my comments to stay more focused on the rerecorded songs cause it's a fact that the new songs are not AS GREAT as the black future new songs. but for me songs like "venus project" and "fast paced society" are pure music. awesome, original and astonishing...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
04.12.2011 - 00:14
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Deadmeat on 04.12.2011 at 00:12
i just disagree COMPLETELY.

You disagree with my rating, or with my review?
----
04.12.2011 - 00:21
scaesura

Deadmeat, have you listened to the classics Troy mentioned?

Regardless, I liked the album. It's a fun enough listen. Gets a 7 from me though, because like Troy, I see nothing new or original. That, and I dont like thrash at all, as a general rule.
04.12.2011 - 00:27
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.12.2011 at 00:14

Written by Deadmeat on 04.12.2011 at 00:12
i just disagree COMPLETELY.

You disagree with my rating, or with my review?

i disagree with the review. with the way it has been written and with the picture it creates to the reader about the band.

on the other hand this is one of the bands/albums that need many listenings to be "absorbed" by the listener so i just feel sorry for those people who listen to "fast paced society" and cannot see the beauty on it. ok "dying world" is average. but "fast paced society" and the other 2 rerecorded songs are just pure masterpieces...
----
04.12.2011 - 00:33
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Deadmeat on 04.12.2011 at 00:27
i disagree with the review. with the way it has been written and with the picture it creates to the reader about the band.

on the other hand this is one of the bands/albums that need many listenings to be "absorbed" by the listener so i just feel sorry for those people who listen to "fast paced society" and cannot see the beauty on it. ok "dying world" is average. but "fast paced society" and the other 2 rerecorded songs are just pure masterpieces...

Well the first part of your comment isn't subjective, so it's better for discussion.

I think I painted a near-perfect picture with my review. I said it's good for what it is but that it's a copied sound that's already been done by some of the genre's masters over 20 years ago. I want the reader to think "oh, these guys sound incredibly similar to [band x] but they're also good at what they do". And I think anyone who reads this will think just that.

As for your off-topic fast-paced society jab and your opinion on what constitutes a masterpiece, this will come into play now: -_-
----
04.12.2011 - 00:39
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.12.2011 at 00:33

Written by Deadmeat on 04.12.2011 at 00:27

Well the first part of your comment isn't subjective, so it's better for discussion.

I think I painted a near-perfect picture with my review. I said it's good for what it is but that it's a copied sound that's already been done by some of the genre's masters over 20 years ago. I want the reader to think "oh, these guys sound incredibly similar to [band x] but they're also good at what they do". And I think anyone who reads this will think just that.

As for your off-topic fast-paced society jab and your opinion on what constitutes a masterpiece, this will come into play now: -_-

you didn't. and you know it.
you said to the reader "this is a technically gifted young band who plays just like the older ones. are you willing to listen to a copy-album? of course not"

fast paced society is absolutely on topic as it is a song of the album. i give you back your kind words.

i think we cannot say something more. we disagree on everything. i find this review stupid and 100% subjective.
----
04.12.2011 - 00:46
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Deadmeat on 04.12.2011 at 00:39
you didn't. and you know it.
you said to the reader "this is a technically gifted young band who plays just like the older ones. are you willing to listen to a copy-album? of course not"
fast paced society is absolutely on topic as it is a song of the album. i give you back your kind words.
i think we cannot say something more. we disagree on everything. i find this review stupid and 100% subjective.

Now I'm all for agreeing to disagree, but you're saying things about me that aren't true.

I didn't paint a good picture? And I know it? Bullshit. I did my best to explain this album to people who have listened to thrash and to those who respect the genre's history. I didn't go out of my way, admittedly, to describe the sound on its own because I felt Vektor did so little in their own approach that it would be doing them more of a service than they did for me as the listener.

Also, that paraphrase job is awful. Where in my review did I say "of course you aren't willing to listen to a 'copy-album'"? Oh right, nowhere. Because the end of my review clearly states fans of thrash will appreciate this for what it is, but they won't find anything new and exciting in it.
----
04.12.2011 - 00:53
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Fuck this review and fuck the dude who posted it!
Buaaaaaaaa
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
04.12.2011 - 00:57
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.12.2011 at 00:46

Now I'm all for agreeing to disagree, but you're saying things about me that aren't true.

I didn't paint a good picture? And I know it? Bullshit. I did my best to explain this album to people who have listened to thrash and to those who respect the genre's history. I didn't go out of my way, admittedly, to describe the sound on its own because I felt Vektor did so little in their own approach that it would be doing them more of a service than they did for me as the listener.

Also, that paraphrase job is awful. Where in my review did I say "of course you aren't willing to listen to a 'copy-album'"? Oh right, nowhere. Because the end of my review clearly states fans of thrash will appreciate this for what it is, but they won't find anything new and exciting in it.

i am a reader and at least for me the "picture" wasn't good.

in the end of your review you say "there isn't anything special going on here." so "you shouldn't be willing to listen to it".

and to say something more focused on the review. we live in 2011. after 30 years of thrash metal i dont think that there are many more to be played on so "old" genres. i, personally feel that especially the DEMOLITION stuff is extremely UNIQUE and ORIGINAL. the whole riffing style, the awesome leads and generally the guitars even if they are not new in the sound (who plays new things on 2011) i think that are totally refreshing and unique. same with vocals and production.
----
04.12.2011 - 00:57
Rating: 7
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I don't know, I am not familiar too much with Destruction besides their first EP and full-length and I could never get into Watchtower, but Vektor don't remind me of Coroner. I am also only partially familiar with Voivod, but from what I have listened, I also don't see much in common. And definitely no relation to Toxik whatsoever.

I actually think Vektor make a very a original breed of thrash and I don't see any copying here. It's quite genuine stuff. I have not gotten into Outer Isolation yet, but I have not heard anything like Black Future ever.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
04.12.2011 - 01:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by K✞ulu on 04.12.2011 at 00:57

I don't know, I am not familiar too much with Destruction besides their first EP and full-length and I could never get into Watchtower, but Vektor don't remind me of Coroner. I am also only partially familiar with Voivod, but from what I have listened, I also don't see much in common. And definitely no relation to Toxik whatsoever.

I actually think Vektor make a very a original breed of thrash and I don't see any copying here. It's quite genuine stuff. I have not gotten into Outer Isolation yet, but I have not heard anything like Black Future ever.

They are extremely in debt to Killing Technology and Dimension Hatross VoiVod not to the leater periods

Btw not only musically but also logowise and concept wise and title wise.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.12.2011 - 01:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

This album reminded me plenty of Destruction's Release From Agony, which isn't altogether a bad thing. Like I tried to point out in the review, it isn't that the sound is bad, it's that it just sounds rehashed. It's good for what it is but I wanted more from the originality department. Hell, Sodom's latest did an excellent job with bringing heavy, catchy thrash music that didn't borrow from their early releases just because it would be the easy thing to do. They wrote new songs and their riffs were very different from the past - although they still managed to stick to their signature style.

As for the Coroner reference, that was mostly due to the high level of technicality (same with Watchtower). Both bands played some truly out-of-this-world technical riff-fests that made me wet in my nether regions. Vektor definitely have that going for them, in that they can play their instruments and they know when to highlight their skill level and when to keep it thrashing.

And Voivod - who I only tried to familiarize myself with more this past week as a result of writing them off long ago since I never really enjoyed their music - I was reminded of their guitar sound from their early releases. The Toxik reference is also as a result of the guitars, but also in the vocal approach. Not because this guy wails like a banshee, but because his pitch is incredible.
----
04.12.2011 - 01:09
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.12.2011 at 01:02

They are extremely in debt to Killing Technology and Dimension Hatross VoiVod not to the leater periods

I am actually listening to Killing Technology right now, and yeah, there is something, but would say that Vektor are absolutely not original and this has been done before etc as the review suggests?
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

04.12.2011 - 01:09
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

I didn't even factor that in. Wow.
----
04.12.2011 - 01:12
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.12.2011 at 01:05

This album reminded me plenty of Destruction's Release From Agony, which isn't altogether a bad thing. Like I tried to point out in the review, it isn't that the sound is bad, it's that it just sounds rehashed. It's good for what it is but I wanted more from the originality department. Hell, Sodom's latest did an excellent job with bringing heavy, catchy thrash music that didn't borrow from their early releases just because it would be the easy thing to do. They wrote new songs and their riffs were very different from the past - although they still managed to stick to their signature style.

As for the Coroner reference, that was mostly due to the high level of technicality (same with Watchtower). Both bands played some truly out-of-this-world technical riff-fests that made me wet in my nether regions. Vektor definitely have that going for them, in that they can play their instruments and they know when to highlight their skill level and when to keep it thrashing.

And Voivod - who I only tried to familiarize myself with more this past week as a result of writing them off long ago since I never really enjoyed their music - I was reminded of their guitar sound from their early releases. The Toxik reference is also as a result of the guitars, but also in the vocal approach. Not because this guy wails like a banshee, but because his pitch is incredible.

Hence, not so much rehashing after all... I will check Release From Agony too.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

04.12.2011 - 01:14
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by K✞ulu on 04.12.2011 at 01:12

I honestly think it's a lot of rehashing - from a multitude of bands. That's what I find unoriginal about them. It's not like I think they rip off one band - they rip off a slew of them.
----
04.12.2011 - 01:24
sbgmetal

I liked their last album a lot more...
04.12.2011 - 01:42
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.12.2011 at 01:14

Written by K✞ulu on 04.12.2011 at 01:12

I honestly think it's a lot of rehashing - from a multitude of bands. That's what I find unoriginal about them. It's not like I think they rip off one band - they rip off a slew of them.

Taking bits and pieces from a multitude of influences and mixing them together in a unique way is something I'd consider as original. After all it often leads to a somewhat new and identifiable sound.

Originality is something you'll rarely find in all this revivalist thrash stuff so it almost goes without saying that this album would pay homage to some classic band/s at times. But there is much here I think that is their own style, or at least something which I've only yet encountered with this band. I totally disagree about Vektor suffering from 'absolutely no identity'.
04.12.2011 - 01:43
JÄY
Metal slave

It's a total rip-off.
04.12.2011 - 01:46
MyNameJeff

Whatevs. it's still very probably the best thrash album of 2011. now let's have a look at watchtower and the new voivod the are supposedly out this month. this band has a very big personality and an equaly big future.
04.12.2011 - 01:52
Rating: 10
Tornado Of Souls

Good review, but I disagree that this is lesser than the music that influenced it, I've listened to all the bands you compared it to but I enjoy this just as much if not more so than those bands. So even if its not as original I certainly think it is executed as well as if not better than some of the bands that came before them.
04.12.2011 - 02:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.12.2011 at 01:09

I didn't even factor that in. Wow.

You're welcome

But like you said, it isn't bad at all it's just been done before by a whole slew of others.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.12.2011 - 02:08
Void Eater
Account deleted
I haven't really found a band that Vektor is ripping off. The closest comparison is Killing Technology era Voivod, but Voivod never did anything else with that sound; going for a less thrashy more progressive approach. Vektor seems like what Voivod would have done if they decided to continue with the Killing Technology sound.

Hits total: 19455 | This month: 37