01. Cosmic Cortex
02. Echoless Chamber
03. Dying World
04. Tetrastructural Minds
05. Venus Project
06. Dark Creations, Dead Creators
07. Fast Paced Society
08. Outer Isolation

Oh shit, the Killjoy is reviewing a thrash metal album. Brace yourselves.

ADD-friendly review: This is not the worst album of the revivalist thrash movement I've come across.

In spite of my pseudo-crusade against anything revivalist, I admittedly found Vektor's Outer Isolation to be a clear step above the rest. Now, I compared these guys to Toxik when I first listened to the over-hyped debut, Black Future. They immediately built success off that sound, a highly technical form of thrash metal that even drew some appreciation from the prog crowd. Yet, people kept telling me how much more they had in common with Voivod, so I took a break and caught up with those old school thrashers.

Basically, if you listened to these guys before listening to Voivod and you didn't know Voivod is to thrash what Black Sabbath is to old folk's home, you'd think Vektor were being ripped off. Then you throw in Destruction, Coroner, Watchtower... all bands clearly miles ahead of Vektor, but all awesome bands. Which makes this awesome.

A proper review should focus more on the music than this, no? Well it's hard to focus on what's being presented here because it's all been done before and so much better. Ignoring the '80s and taking this for what it is (a contemporary thrash release), it's pretty cool shit. It's aggressive/progressive balls-to-the-wall-wrecking-your-neck-punishment-for-decadence. The problem is there is absolutely no identity. Like so many revivalist bands, it just makes you want to listen to the masters that did it better more than 20 years ago.

These are undoubtedly incredibly talented musicians capable of pulling off some of the most technical thrashing you've heard in the last decade. They write their songs with direction and magnitude (oh yeah!), the lengthier tracks refusing to wander around aimlessly; the shrieking vocals are pitched to perfection, almost spine-chillingly so; and the overall power keeps the album flowing without the stripped down heavy/power influence so many thrash metal outfits seem to be falling victim to.

If you're too lazy to check out thrash metal's golden years, then Vektor will help you re-live the past. If you're the "I read the book before it was a movie" kind of person, there isn't anything special going on here.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 4
Production: 7

Written on 03.12.2011 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments page 4 / 7

Comments: 193   Visited by: 732 users
04.12.2011 - 21:34
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by pisymbol on 04.12.2011 at 13:51
Nice review Troy. I have only one issue with it. If you can move the following paragraph:

I appreciate the criticism, but I don't feel the change necessary because that's not how I wanted the review to play out. As explained (just a minute ago), I listened to the album and wrote the review to reflect the listening process. The first thing I noticed about this (and last) was the lack of originality. Throughout the album I was able to notice the quality of the songs, so the beginning and the end of the review are reflective of my initial and conclusive thoughts on the album, with the positive aspects in the body to represent how I felt listening to the body of the album.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
04.12.2011 - 21:36
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Cryzpin on 04.12.2011 at 21:21
there is SOOO little about the music itself, that it's a copied reshufled average of three other old bands? That's really not an information one would like to get from staff review.

-_-

I've already responded to this.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
04.12.2011 - 21:55
Rating: 9
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.12.2011 at 21:36

Written by Cryzpin on 04.12.2011 at 21:21
there is SOOO little about the music itself, that it's a copied reshufled average of three other old bands? That's really not an information one would like to get from staff review.

-_-

I've already responded to this.

so you are a reviewer and staffer who says to whoever doesn't like his review "fuck you"... we appreciate that...

it seems that i am not the only one who finds this review negative (when you say it is positive).
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
04.12.2011 - 21:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Deadmeat on 04.12.2011 at 21:55
so you are a reviewer and staffer who says to whoever doesn't like his review "fuck you"... we appreciate that...

Actually I've responded to all positive and negative comments I've received in a mature manner. It's unfortunate you can't muster up the ability to comment in the same fashion.

I answered that user's question in this thread already. I don't feel the need to do it again.

Just as I don't feel the need to explain to a cement-head like yourself that unoriginal does not always equal bad, especially since the ONLY negative thing about this album in my review is that unoriginality.

But keep frothing at your keyboard. I'm sure everyone looking at this thread is enjoying you as you make an idiot out of yourself.
----
04.12.2011 - 21:59
RavenKing

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.12.2011 at 01:02

They are extremely in debt to Killing Technology and Dimension Hatross VoiVod not to the leater periods

Btw not only musically but also logowise and concept wise and title wise.

First time I saw the logo and cover of a Vektor album, old Voivod instantly came to my mind.
However, I don't know much about Voivod because I never liked it.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
04.12.2011 - 22:02
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.12.2011 at 21:58

Written by Deadmeat on 04.12.2011 at 21:55

Actually I've responded to all positive and negative comments I've received in a mature manner. It's unfortunate you can't muster up the ability to comment in the same fashion.

I answered that user's question in this thread already. I don't feel the need to do it again.

Just as I don't feel the need to explain to a cement-head like yourself that unoriginal does not always equal bad, especially since the ONLY negative thing about this album in my review is that unoriginality.

But keep frothing at your keyboard. I'm sure everyone looking at this thread is enjoying you as you make an idiot out of yourself.

you've spent then 2-3 paragraphs talking about originality and said almost nothing about the album. this was my 2nd complaint after originality. it's like you don't want to understand...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
04.12.2011 - 22:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Deadmeat on 04.12.2011 at 22:02
you've spent then 2-3 paragraphs talking about originality and said almost nothing about the album. this was my 2nd complaint after originality. it's like you don't want to understand...

I don't want to understand? I've already addressed that "issue". I did it for effect. The review reads as I felt about the album. I was constantly reminded how unoriginal this was, so my review reflects that. I wanted to beat it into the heads of everyone as the album beat it into my head. And don't go all "you don't even talk about the music", because - as pointed out in the review itself - I'm well aware of that. I didn't need to talk about the music; name-dropping cleared that up and simultaneously proved my point on the lack of originality.
----
04.12.2011 - 22:11
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.12.2011 at 21:32
Exactly, the fact that I focused on the lack of originality reflected how I felt when listening to the album. I wrote this review as I heard the album - it was like, I've heard this all before, but it's still some pretty solid thrash. And then it ended with ya, it's still not original but oh well, if you don't care for originality this is a good thrash album.

I'd say that's pretty positive - if the only real downfall is the lack of originality.

Yep, I think it's because most of the review seemed to focus on the unoriginality, that it could be misinterpreted by some as a negative review. But then when you realise the unoriginality was really the only criticsm levelled at the album, it does place the music in a much more positive light by the review. If I cared a lot about unoriginality, then I would see it as a very negative review. But in this day and age, when to be truly original in metal is undoubtedly a far harder task than it was in the 70's/80's/90's, then it's almost not living in the real world to expect originiality from new bands. For me, originality is always seen as a bonus, rather than a requirement from me to like a new band's music. The quality of the music itself is always the most important factor for me, and even if you are original, that certainly is not on it's own, necessarily going to result in a great album. In fact, it can sometimes result in terrible music.

For me, what makes so many bands in the revivalist thrash seen so dull, isn't that they are unoriginal, it's that they by and large, have no real memorable songs. Much like many of the 2nd/3rd tier thrash bands that were around in the 80's. And vocals on their own certainly can give a band their own identity, take Forbidden. What really made them stand out from the pack wasn't so much their music (although it is great thrash), but the vocals of Russ Anderson. So I think even in this day and age, it is possible for a new thrash band to stand out from the crowd. I mentioned The Haunted in another thread, and for them, it was the hardcore vocals of Peter Dolving and an infusion of the Gothenburg sound that made their thrash so fresh, and identifiably "them". Okies, Im going on a bit now, so, I'll stop now...
04.12.2011 - 22:16
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.12.2011 at 22:05

Written by Deadmeat on 04.12.2011 at 22:02

I don't want to understand? I've already addressed that "issue". I did it for effect. The review reads as I felt about the album. I was constantly reminded how unoriginal this was, so my review reflects that. I wanted to beat it into the heads of everyone as the album beat it into my head. And don't go all "you don't even talk about the music", because - as pointed out in the review itself - I'm well aware of that. I didn't need to talk about the music; name-dropping cleared that up and simultaneously proved my point on the lack of originality.

ok. but just don't say that your review is positive. you take a flaw (in your opinion) of the band/album and keep on repeating it. there is no positivity.
----
04.12.2011 - 22:18
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Angelic Storm on 04.12.2011 at 22:11
Okies, Im going on a bit now, so, I'll stop now...

I thought that was actually all relevant and you brought up good points - especially about the vocals. I mean, I didn't give the originality a 1, because there is still enough about Vektor that makes you think, oh this is Vektor. It's just that "this is Vektor" is like saying "oh this is a combination of everything I've already heard".

Not that it means the music is bad. Like you said, originality seems like more of a bonus than a requirement. I listen to black and death metal up the yang. Out of the 200+ albums I've listened to this year, maybe a dozen or so could be considered original. As in, worthy of more than a 6 in the originality department. Avant-garde bands command higher originality ratings, but sometimes at the expense of good music.

In this case, the originality didn't kill the enjoyment for me, as suggested by my overall rating and the positive remarks in my review. That being said, it's a lack of originality based on thrash metal - something that was already waning in the '90s.
----
04.12.2011 - 22:20
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Deadmeat on 04.12.2011 at 22:16
ok. but just don't say that your review is positive. you take a flaw (in your opinion) of the band/album and keep on repeating it. there is no positivity.

My review is positive.

My overall score is positive.

My remarks about the band's abilities are positive.

The one negative thing about the album was repeated for, let's say "artistic purpose".

If you can't see that, you obviously didn't read the entire review.
----
04.12.2011 - 22:27
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.12.2011 at 22:18

Out of the 200+ albums I've listened to this year, maybe a dozen or so could be considered original. As in, worthy of more than a 6 in the originality department.

ok your review is positive. say it more times to believe it yourself.

as you are a staff member and not a "stupid asshole lurking on the net" i wonder how the fuck you can listen to 200 albums (or more) in a year and be fully able to understand them. how the f**k can you write reviews for albums you've listened only 1,2 or 5 times? this is extremely unprofessional, especially froma staff member as you are.
----
04.12.2011 - 22:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
It is easily possible to listen to an album 5 times max and fully comprehend it. Almost no music whatsoever is so "deep" that more spins are needed.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.12.2011 - 22:31
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Deadmeat on 04.12.2011 at 22:27
ok your review is positive. say it more times to believe it yourself.

as you are a staff member and not a "stupid asshole lurking on the net" i wonder how the fuck you can listen to 200 albums (or more) in a year and be fully able to understand them. how the f**k can you write reviews for albums you've listened only 1,2 or 5 times? this is extremely unprofessional, especially froma staff member as you are.

Okay, now you're getting on my nerves.

I won't bother with the review comment because you're too thick-headed to understand anything.

How can I listen to 200 albums? I dunno, how can anyone? Let's see, I know off hand MechanisT, Ag Fox, Marcel, and myself have all listened to over 200 albums this year. Sorry you can't keep up?

And what is unprofessional about listening to an album 5 times in order to review it? You're reaching here guy. Your argument holds no weight.
----
04.12.2011 - 22:36
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Ok for me 2 or 5 times are ok to create an opinion about how you like an album and a general opinion. but to review it, someone should listen to it more and digest it deeper. and there are many bands and albums out there that need more than 5 spins...
----
04.12.2011 - 22:36
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Aaaaaaaah the unprofressional card, truly the most hilarious weapon a reader uses against the reviewer. I love it everytime I see it.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
04.12.2011 - 22:39
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Deadmeat on 04.12.2011 at 22:36
Ok for me 2 or 5 times are ok to create an opinion about how you like an album and a general opinion. but to review it, someone should listen to it more and digest it deeper. and there are many bands and albums out there that need more than 5 spins...

Is that what you're upset about now? I didn't listen to it enough?! I even listened to other bands just so I could comment on the similarities between this and a band like Voivod.

And trust me, this isn't one of those albums you need to listen to more than five times to "get". It's thrash metal. It's not like Shrek.
----
04.12.2011 - 22:42
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.12.2011 at 22:39

Written by Deadmeat on 04.12.2011 at 22:36

Is that what you're upset about now? I didn't listen to it enough?! I even listened to other bands just so I could comment on the similarities between this and a band like Voivod.

And trust me, this isn't one of those albums you need to listen to more than five times to "get". It's thrash metal. It's not like Shrek.

no, i saw yesterday your list and as you've mentioned that i said my opinion.

also believe me, some vektor songs need many listens to be fully digested unless you are the god...
----
04.12.2011 - 22:43
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Deadmeat on 04.12.2011 at 22:42
also believe me, some vektor songs need many listens to be fully digested unless you are the god...

Oh do they? I didn't notice. I was too busy being reminded of the '80s.
----
04.12.2011 - 22:46
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.12.2011 at 22:43

Written by Deadmeat on 04.12.2011 at 22:42

Oh do they? I didn't notice. I was too busy being reminded of the '80s.

you loose..
----
04.12.2011 - 22:49
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Deadmeat on 04.12.2011 at 22:46
you loose..

What? You've gone from complaining about the originality score, the content in the review, how the review was written, my listening habits, and now how I can't seem to "grasp" the "complexity" of a revivathrash release... and you left with nothing.

I didn't realize we were playing to win, but by the sounds of you clutching at straws, I think I just racked up a W.
----
04.12.2011 - 22:53
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.12.2011 at 22:49

Written by Deadmeat on 04.12.2011 at 22:46
you loose..

What? You've gone from complaining about the originality score, the content in the review, how the review was written, my listening habits, and now how I can't seem to "grasp" the "complexity" of a revivathrash release... and you left with nothing.

I didn't realize we were playing to win, but by the sounds of you clutching at straws, I think I just racked up a W.

you didn't get what i meant but i think we can't discuss so let's leave it as it is...
----
04.12.2011 - 22:54
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Deadmeat on 04.12.2011 at 22:53
you didn't get what i meant but i think we can't discuss so let's leave it as it is...

----
05.12.2011 - 08:15
Fat & Sassy!

As the dust clears, the rest of Metal Storm comes out of their shelters to gaze upon the wreckage. And thus, Troy and Deadmeat's long, doomed relationship came to end. It turned out that there was more pushing them apart than an ocean between them. Things may look gloomy now, but the future holds bright new opportunities for these once-lovers. Troy wipes a tear off his cheek, as he looks ahead to many more excellent reviews to be written. This journey has just begun.

The end. :3
05.12.2011 - 08:18
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 05.12.2011 at 08:15
The end. :3

Maybe my next review will be in story format. Or I'll save it for my Dwellers of the Twilight review.
----
06.12.2011 - 02:01
areida

This thread has amused me to no end, but I now feel compelled to comment. Like with all Great Disputes Between Gentlemen I feel truth lies somewhere in the blasted landscape between Killjoy and the inimitable Deadmeat.

Is this a spankingly good release from a talented band? Yes, and the review acknowledges it as such. 75% is not a bad score. This isn't elementary school; no one is sending Vektor to bed without supper for getting a C, because that's not what 7.5 means. I'd call 3/4 stars a positive rating indeed.

Does Vektor owe much to Destruction and Voivod (and Emperor, at times)? Yes, and I bet they'd gladly acknowledge that. The rhythm tracks on Tetrastructural Minds and Fast-Paced Society would fit in perfectly on Killing Technology. Schmier's fingerprints are all over Dave's riffing and singing. Ihsahn is probably a little jealous of what Vektor was able to do in the black metal section of the title track.

The real argument here seems to be what the definition of originality is. Do you consider Quentin Tarantino original? He's made his career doing exactly what you accuse Vektor of: taking pieces of other's work and assembling them into a slick, fast-paced presentation. I have no problem with this, as by that analogy Outer Isolation is the Pulp Fiction of thrash.

There are no real answers here. I love this album, and have spun it up almost daily since September. I do think Troy is unwise to discount the originality from only a handful of playthroughs. The lyrics are something that no review I've read has touched on beyond "Space nerd sci-fi werds", yet songwriting is the standout feature of Vektor for me. I'm sometimes baffled by the well, frankly, poetry that David creates. I think anyone who hasn't needs to take a listen to this album with the full lyrics open. I guarantee there's treasures to be found.
06.12.2011 - 02:31
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by areida on 06.12.2011 at 02:01

I guarantee there's treasures to be found.

this band is all about treasures mate! in 2011 i haven't seen another young band creating so mature and beautiful music... (i've read a bit the lyrics but you've pushed me to do it even more now!)
----
06.12.2011 - 07:31
bloodface

Interesting.......the points in the review have me wanting to check this out. nothing wrong with derivative if it is well done.

i appreciate more of the thrash revival than most...one i do hate though is gamma bomb. horrible lyrics, liner notes, songs............unbelievably horrible. seems like a weird al yankovic approach without being funny, nostalgic, or sentimental.......piece of shit band. earache should be embarrassed for signing the air bags.

ugh...theri i go again wanting to say something positive and end up negative.
06.12.2011 - 07:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by bloodface on 06.12.2011 at 07:31
Interesting.......the points in the review have me wanting to check this out. nothing wrong with derivative if it is well done.

Indeed, and this is executed rather well. You'll probably enjoy it to be honest, especially if you're a fan of the current thrash resurgence.
----
06.12.2011 - 07:34
bloodface

Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.12.2011 at 07:32

Written by bloodface on 06.12.2011 at 07:31

Indeed, and this is executed rather well. You'll probably enjoy it to be honest, especially if you're a fan of the current thrash resurgence.

more of a fan than not of the thrash resurgence and a huge fan of voivod.

Hits total: 19453 | This month: 35