01. Cosmic Cortex
02. Echoless Chamber
03. Dying World
04. Tetrastructural Minds
05. Venus Project
06. Dark Creations, Dead Creators
07. Fast Paced Society
08. Outer Isolation

Oh shit, the Killjoy is reviewing a thrash metal album. Brace yourselves.

ADD-friendly review: This is not the worst album of the revivalist thrash movement I've come across.

In spite of my pseudo-crusade against anything revivalist, I admittedly found Vektor's Outer Isolation to be a clear step above the rest. Now, I compared these guys to Toxik when I first listened to the over-hyped debut, Black Future. They immediately built success off that sound, a highly technical form of thrash metal that even drew some appreciation from the prog crowd. Yet, people kept telling me how much more they had in common with Voivod, so I took a break and caught up with those old school thrashers.

Basically, if you listened to these guys before listening to Voivod and you didn't know Voivod is to thrash what Black Sabbath is to old folk's home, you'd think Vektor were being ripped off. Then you throw in Destruction, Coroner, Watchtower... all bands clearly miles ahead of Vektor, but all awesome bands. Which makes this awesome.

A proper review should focus more on the music than this, no? Well it's hard to focus on what's being presented here because it's all been done before and so much better. Ignoring the '80s and taking this for what it is (a contemporary thrash release), it's pretty cool shit. It's aggressive/progressive balls-to-the-wall-wrecking-your-neck-punishment-for-decadence. The problem is there is absolutely no identity. Like so many revivalist bands, it just makes you want to listen to the masters that did it better more than 20 years ago.

These are undoubtedly incredibly talented musicians capable of pulling off some of the most technical thrashing you've heard in the last decade. They write their songs with direction and magnitude (oh yeah!), the lengthier tracks refusing to wander around aimlessly; the shrieking vocals are pitched to perfection, almost spine-chillingly so; and the overall power keeps the album flowing without the stripped down heavy/power influence so many thrash metal outfits seem to be falling victim to.

If you're too lazy to check out thrash metal's golden years, then Vektor will help you re-live the past. If you're the "I read the book before it was a movie" kind of person, there isn't anything special going on here.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 4
Production: 7

Written on 03.12.2011 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments page 6 / 7

Comments: 193   Visited by: 732 users
08.12.2011 - 12:25
Rating: 9
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Daniell on 08.12.2011 at 11:00

Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.12.2011 at 09:15

Written by Whoblehwah on 08.12.2011 at 09:01
What kind of unprofessional bullshit is that?

Already addressed this question multiple times.

All that poor kid says is: "you dared rate the album lower than me, I hate you!"

mate, really, this is not the problem with this review. it isn't the rating at all. it's just that only 75/490 words have been written for the album. 15,3%! and i am probably not going to give this album a 10.
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
08.12.2011 - 13:50
Rating: 8
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Deadmeat on 08.12.2011 at 12:25

mate, really, this is not the problem with this review. it isn't the rating at all. it's just that only 75/490 words have been written for the album. 15,3%! and i am probably not going to give this album a 10.

You did give both Vektor albums a 10, I distinctly remember it, because I checked your votes before I posted my previous message. It was also visible in your "recent favorites" section. Now your rating for "Outer Isolation" is gone...

EDIT: no, I didn't mix things up with Vektor's demo. END EDIT.

As for the content of Troy's review - it has a sufficient amount of info about the music, it also contains other things that are significant to Troy's assessment of the album. There is nothing "unprofessional" there. Please don't be childish about reviews...
08.12.2011 - 14:22
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Daniell on 08.12.2011 at 13:50

Written by Deadmeat on 08.12.2011 at 12:25

1.You did give both Vektor albums a 10, I distinctly remember it, because I checked your votes before I posted my previous message. It was also visible in your "recent favorites" section. Now your rating for "Outer Isolation" is gone...

EDIT: no, I didn't mix things up with Vektor's demo. END EDIT.

2.As for the content of Troy's review - it has a sufficient amount of info about the music, it also contains other things that are significant to Troy's assessment of the album. There is nothing "unprofessional" there. Please don't be childish about reviews...

1.i have NEVER voted for OUTER ISOLATION. you can check it through an admin or i don't know. but i never voted for this album. i gave both demolition and black future a 10 but i never voted for this one cause i haven't completed it's listens yet.

2.i only answered at your complaint about the 7.5 rating. sorry but i don't want to re-discuss my other complaints cause probably our discussion will be deleted. so there is no meaning on that.
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
08.12.2011 - 14:35
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
People need to stop caring about Deadmeat now. Seriously, send him to Coventry or he'll keep posting.
08.12.2011 - 16:05
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
@Deadmeat: let's not argue, it doesn't matter much anyway
08.12.2011 - 18:04
Rating: 5
hadriel
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.12.2011 at 00:09
I put more effort into this review than Vektor put into writing original songs.

I lol'd

Great review that sums up the album nicely. Skimmed over the comments quickly and I don't get all the complaints about the lack of focus on the music itself. I thought the review gave readers a greater than sufficient idea of what the album would sound like and in the end the discussion pertaining to originality, identity and general focus on the actual consequence of the release of this album was much more fitting and insightful. tbh, more reviews should adhere to this format. Anyone can pickup an album and describe it (well maybe not anyone), but it takes a lot more effort/skill to analyze the actual significance and value that an album contributes to music/listeners.
08.12.2011 - 20:03
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by hadriel on 08.12.2011 at 18:04
Great review that sums up the album nicely. Skimmed over the comments quickly and I don't get all the complaints about the lack of focus on the music itself. I thought the review gave readers a greater than sufficient idea of what the album would sound like and in the end the discussion pertaining to originality, identity and general focus on the actual consequence of the release of this album was much more fitting and insightful. tbh, more reviews should adhere to this format. Anyone can pickup an album and describe it (well maybe not anyone), but it takes a lot more effort/skill to analyze the actual significance and value that an album contributes to music/listeners.

You're quite honestly my favorite person in the world right now.

I've actually thought of reviewing in this style for a while now - writing about the implications of an album as opposed to just the sound. I mean, describe black metal in 250+ words? Boring, we all know what black metal sounds like by now. But talking about what it is about the album that makes you want to listen more or to throw it in the garbage? That's what I like to read about an album. If someone tells me to listen to this new black metal band, I ask two things: 1. Who do they sound like? 2. Do you think I'd like it based on my personal taste?

I try to answer those two questions in this review. Vektor sounds like [a lot of bands], and if you like modern thrash that copies those bands, you'll like this album.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.12.2011 - 20:28
Rating: 7
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Guest on 08.12.2011 at 14:35

People need to stop caring about Deadmeat now. Seriously, send him to Coventry or he'll keep posting.

he'll keep posting if you keep invoking him.

For all, this thread has been reported again. one more time for users insulting one another, warnings will be issued (regardless as to position on ms: staff, elite, regular user... clear?) and i'll just start hacking away at any post in which the antagonists were involved. even if valid points.

fucking reanimated corpse of napolean on a pogo stick, i have better things to do than revisit and babysit this thread every 48 hours because people cannot handle the fact other people don't have the some opinion on music.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
10.12.2011 - 04:45
Butters49
Lol wtf
----
"Sataaaaaaaaan. Yeah yeah!"
-King Diamond
12.12.2011 - 11:56
Fredd
Account deleted
12.12.2011 - 19:30
Hendrikse
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 12.12.2011 at 11:56

This +1
13.12.2011 - 15:38
Thought.
A Dying God
Over-hyped or not... black future was a fucking treat! Excited to bite into this one!
----
There is no God but the one that dies with me. I have no life but the one I take with me to the grave. We come into this world alone. And we will die on our own. I live. I die. Ain Elohim.
14.12.2011 - 04:16
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Good review. as an old school thrash fan it's nice to see a band embrace that era and pay homage - yet they are original enough to hold my attention
----
rekt
14.12.2011 - 04:21
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by K✞ulu on 04.12.2011 at 00:57

I don't know, I am not familiar too much with Destruction besides their first EP and full-length and I could never get into Watchtower, but Vektor don't remind me of Coroner. I am also only partially familiar with Voivod, but from what I have listened, I also don't see much in common. And definitely no relation to Toxik whatsoever.

I actually think Vektor make a very a original breed of thrash and I don't see any copying here. It's quite genuine stuff. I have not gotten into Outer Isolation yet, but I have not heard anything like Black Future ever.

Ktulu...I see BIG comparisons to old schoolers Coroner and Voivod! Look deeply at Coroner's Punishment For Decadence and No More Color and anything by Voivod pre-Nothingface. That being sad I can dig Vektor because of these memories!!!
----
rekt
15.12.2011 - 01:57
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I listened to it for the third time today. It just gets better with every listen.

I loved the production, the bass is really present in the mix along with the other instruments and the vocals. And the vocals... god, those high pitch screams have nothing to envy to Araya's.

So everyone says this has been done before. Truth is I never checked out old Coroner or Watchtower... and just Nothingface from Voivod. Ergo, this sounds relatively new to me and it works perfectly for my ears.

I'll check out the pioneers soon to give my final opinion on this, but for now, this could be on my top 10 of 2011.
15.12.2011 - 02:00
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Unhealer on 15.12.2011 at 01:57
...Ergo, this sounds relatively new to me and it works perfectly for my ears.

I'll check out the pioneers soon to give my final opinion on this, but for now, this could be on my top 10 of 2011.

I'm not judging you for thinking this sounds new (especially since you haven't spent time listening to their predecessors) but as pointed out in my review, this is good enough as a revivalist album to help you relive those glory days based on what a good job the band does paying homage to their influences.

The only negative thing I had to say about this was the originality factor - but if it's something you're able to overlook more so than myself, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up in more "top 10" lists.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.12.2011 - 02:23
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.12.2011 at 02:00

I'm not judging you for thinking this sounds new (especially since you haven't spent time listening to their predecessors) but as pointed out in my review, this is good enough as a revivalist album to help you relive those glory days based on what a good job the band does paying homage to their influences.

The only negative thing I had to say about this was the originality factor - but if it's something you're able to overlook more so than myself, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up in more "top 10" lists.

Nah, of course, I got that.
I'm also very stubborn with the "originality" factor. If somebody recommends me a band labeled as "Melodic Death Metal" or something similar I will probably not listen to it or check it with a "So you think you can do better?" attitude since it's likely I'll prefer to stick to At The Gates and "the others" instead of that band I believe this is exactly what happened to you.

In this case, even I if check out the pioneers and agree with you, I will be probably still enjoying this album as it is counts as a "personal pioneer" for me. As if someone checked Warbringer or Evile before the so-called "Big 4" and friends.
15.12.2011 - 02:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Unhealer on 15.12.2011 at 02:23
As if someone checked Warbringer or Evile before the so-called "Big 4" and friends.

Being Argentinian: You're doing it right.
----
15.12.2011 - 02:38
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.12.2011 at 02:24

Being Argentinian: You're doing it right.

Doing it the best I can!
18.12.2011 - 05:30
matia
Well spoken troy, i wish all people could share and use your powerful yet simple approach regarding the reviews of new releases. Honesty is a virtue indeed, we should first be honest with ourselves and accept the fact that almost everything , at least in our metal world, is already "played to perfection" by those who "invented" and those who progressed each genre's sound so many years ago.
13.01.2012 - 23:33
mz
I dont get the unrest about the review , a 7.5 means sth between good and very good according to MS standards, that is not bad at all.
personally I like this kind of reviews about the highly ranked albums. Well this album is on top 20 and every one expects good music but the downsides of the records can be understood this way.
As far as originality goes, Im not familiar with the bands named in the review, so this album gets a 8.5 until I listen to those bands.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
19.01.2012 - 00:30
Misfit74
I've generally been listening only to Death Metal the past year+. I come from a Thrash Metal background and followed that since it's beginnings. After seeing this album on nearly everyone's top-10 lists for 2011, I decided to give it a whirl. I was pleasantly surprised. And, though it would be very easy to say "sounds like a Destruction rip-off band", I decided to keep an open-mind and not condemn it based on that type of conclusive (and perhaps errant) thinking. I think the album's opening track is pretty damn good. I particularly like the chord progressions and simply the types of chords chosen to build into some quality Thrash. I have to give this some more listens, but I'm encouraged by this album so far and it might make me dabble into Thrash once again - if not make it a regular part of my music-listening.
12.02.2012 - 02:13
JCJen7
I know this is all in the past, especially now that Troy quit this site, but anyways. I completely support his review (though disagree), and have nothing wrong with him not liking the album. I can however understand the people who are a little mad. I mean, let's be honest, this album is a fantastic thrash record, probably deserved something in the 8.5-9 rating range...from anyone BUT Troy. He just doesn't seem to care much for thrash, especialy not the new stuff. So, the one guy who doesn't like this album reviewed it, and basically told us what we knew he would. That if you like thi s album, its because you don't know much about tharsh history.. And some people don't like that message, and understandably so.
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
12.02.2012 - 12:08
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by JCJen7 on 12.02.2012 at 02:13

That if you like thi s album, its because you don't know much about tharsh history..

at least in my occasion (cause i was a part of the conflict) this wasn't the case-point. the fact is that Vektor doesn't seem in my eyes (and many other people's eyes as i know) as a clopyright band. this may all have been played but then almost ALL todays bands should get a 1-5 rating in originality. if so then why does MS use this "rating system"? to remind us the beautiful days of the past? i dont think so. i think that what Vektor does is very original for today. they are UNIQUE and separated from all other thrash metal bands. ok they are not the first ones to play with many riffs and leads but they are the first ones (ok maybe there are some more i dont know) in the last 15-20 years to do that. they have their own sound, and they have already their own style. honestly, if the point is that it all has been played again then we should give ratings between 1-5 in originality from now on right? the fact is that vektor is at least VERY UNIQUE. i dont now where to put it if not in the "originality" score.
----
12.02.2012 - 12:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by JCJen7 on 12.02.2012 at 02:13

I know this is all in the past, especially now that Troy quit this site, but anyways. I completely support his review (though disagree), and have nothing wrong with him not liking the album. I can however understand the people who are a little mad. I mean, let's be honest, this album is a fantastic thrash record, probably deserved something in the 8.5-9 rating range...from anyone BUT Troy. He just doesn't seem to care much for thrash, especialy not the new stuff. So, the one guy who doesn't like this album reviewed it, and basically told us what we knew he would. That if you like thi s album, its because you don't know much about tharsh history.. And some people don't like that message, and understandably so.

Troy not liking the album? He gave it a 7.5 which means GOOD.
I care a lot about thrash and would have scored it a 7 I think.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.02.2012 - 17:13
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.02.2012 at 12:48

If I could get a dollar every time someone says "he/she didn't like the album" with a review that has 7,0 or more.... Damn, that would be a lot of money.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
12.02.2012 - 23:16
JCJen7
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.02.2012 at 12:48

I care a lot about thrash and would have scored it a 7 I think.

I am not argueing that. I tried to make my statement come out basically like this "I am sure that Troy gave the album what he thought it deserved, and I have no problem with that. I just understand why some people have a problem with reading this review." Sure, i shouldn't have said "anyone" but Troy, especially considering you usually end up having a differant reaction to records as most people. but to those most people, this is a great record. And the only review they get from this site is from a guy who everyone already knew wouldn't praise it because of originality. That's all I meant from it.
----

CHECK THESE OUT
12.02.2012 - 23:29
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by JCJen7 on 12.02.2012 at 23:16
And the only review they get from this site is from a guy who everyone already knew wouldn't praise it because of originality. That's all I meant from it.

instead of whining incessantly because someone doesn't like an album as much as you do, you could, instead, take the time to write your own review...

but that'd be too much work. so much easier to disparage and call into question other people's opinions because they don't synch up with yours.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
13.02.2012 - 00:33
JCJen7
Written by BitterCOld on 12.02.2012 at 23:29

instead of whining incessantly because someone doesn't like an album as much as you do, you could, instead, take the time to write your own review...

but that'd be too much work. so much easier to disparage and call into question other people's opinions because they don't synch up with yours.

-_- I am a little taken aback at how quick you are to insult me, seemingly without even reading what I said. I never questioned what he wrote. I don't even see how you got that out of what I said. Once again, all I am saying is that I completely support Troy writing this review, it was well-written, and explained his opinion on the topic well. However, the people that are complaining about it not synching up with their own opinions are probably doing so because the only review they read on this site is an opinion that they feel doesn't really depict the overall feeling around the album. And I do not personally consider 2 posts of trying to explain the actions of others as incessantly whining. Your little insulting rant at me seems to be a little out of left field.
----

CHECK THESE OUT
13.02.2012 - 01:35
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by JCJen7 on 13.02.2012 at 00:33

Written by BitterCOld on 12.02.2012 at 23:29

-_- I am a little taken aback at how quick you are to insult me, seemingly without even reading what I said. I never questioned what he wrote. I don't even see how you got that out of what I said. Once again, all I am saying is that I completely support Troy writing this review, it was well-written, and explained his opinion on the topic well. However, the people that are complaining about it not synching up with their own opinions are probably doing so because the only review they read on this site is an opinion that they feel doesn't really depict the overall feeling around the album. And I do not personally consider 2 posts of trying to explain the actions of others as incessantly whining. Your little insulting rant at me seems to be a little out of left field.

perhaps i misinterpreted the "only review this album has" and "the one guy who didn't like it" (when is scoring an album between good and very good not liking something?) as whining, but you immediately pop into mind about someone who doesn't seem to shut up about disagreeing with a review... after all you've made numerous remarks about that horrible abomination of an 7X album i reviewed... reading the recent posts just reminded me of the others.
----

Hits total: 19498 | This month: 80