Metal Storm logo
Where do you think metal will be in 20 years?

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 06.12.2011 - 21:40
What genres do you think will still be going strong and which ones do you think will be running low? Fusion genres? How do you anticipate your favorite genres will be changing? Which genres need the most change in your opinion? Etc., etc. I just thought it was an interesting thought.
08.12.2011 - 20:13
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Most pointless argument ever. Power metal is already mainstream.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.12.2011 - 20:47
theFIST
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.12.2011 at 20:13

Most pointless argument ever. Power metal is already mainstream.

not so much here. here media doesn"t present anything even Rock related except of acdc, emo shit and the occasional display of Rock and Metal fans as dark clothed weirdos standing in mud in front of a stage.....
i was lucky to have seen a Motörhead interview + performance extract on tv when i travelled to Germany years ago and that way got to know about the existence of Metal
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
08.12.2011 - 20:50
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Ah. Well in Canada (probably in the States too but I don't live there and couldn't tell you) power metal makes its way to the hard rock stations on a regular basis. It's not a rarity by any means to hear shit like Dragonforce and Stratovarious.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
09.12.2011 - 00:09
fightwithsteel
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.12.2011 at 20:50

Ah. Well in Canada (probably in the States too but I don't live there and couldn't tell you) power metal makes its way to the hard rock stations on a regular basis. It's not a rarity by any means to hear shit like Dragonforce and Stratovarious.

Then I'm moving to Canada! The United States are horrendous for music.
09.12.2011 - 02:04
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Guest on 09.12.2011 at 00:09

Then I'm moving to Canada! The United States are horrendous for music.

I think Troy would tell you the music they play in the States is equally as horrendous as power metal

Though, Troy, I wouldn't go as far as putting Strato in the same box as DF... like 'em or not, Strato used to have their shit together, and they got a lot of it back in the recent years, at least according to some of my friends who are big fans of them (I personally don't like 'em a lot). DF just had a couple of moments scattered on their first and that's all.
----
7.0 means the album is good
09.12.2011 - 02:59
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Milena on 09.12.2011 at 02:04
Though, Troy, I wouldn't go as far as putting Strato in the same box as DF... like 'em or not, Strato used to have their shit together, and they got a lot of it back in the recent years, at least according to some of my friends who are big fans of them (I personally don't like 'em a lot). DF just had a couple of moments scattered on their first and that's all.

Oh I wasn't trying to compare them with that post, I just meant I've heard both of those bands receive radio play - and then of course there's Metallica/Maiden/Sabbath and the likes.
----
09.12.2011 - 11:29
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Gorgoroth will win a Grammy.
I've never listened to them but I want to see the reactions in the media when Infernus thanks Satan in his acceptance speech. Assuming Gaahl and King ov Hell haven't re-taken the name by then.
Oh yeah, has anyone worked out my Black Fortress prediction from earlier?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
09.12.2011 - 11:38
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Same as today. You're going to have a shit load of crap music, but when you wade through the pile of shit you find those gems.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
09.12.2011 - 22:57
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by M C Vice on 09.12.2011 at 11:29

I've never listened to them but I want to see the reactions in the media when Infernus thanks Satan in his acceptance speech. Assuming Gaahl and King ov Hell haven't re-taken the name by then.

Actually, that is a very realistic prediction, I wouldn't be surprised if it really happens.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
10.12.2011 - 02:35
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by vezzy on 09.12.2011 at 22:57

Written by M C Vice on 09.12.2011 at 11:29

Actually, that is a very realistic prediction, I wouldn't be surprised if it really happens.

The grammy or the name steal?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
10.12.2011 - 03:30
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Well judging by korns new path, the outlook looks dim.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
10.12.2011 - 12:41
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by M C Vice on 10.12.2011 at 02:35

Both, but mostly the Grammy.

Infernus thanking Satan made me laugh due to the sheer irony, but it's quite likely.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
12.12.2011 - 17:13
theFIST
Written by vezzy on 10.12.2011 at 12:41

Written by M C Vice on 10.12.2011 at 02:35

Both, but mostly the Grammy.

Infernus thanking Satan made me laugh due to the sheer irony, but it's quite likely.

as long as the prize doesn"t get a murder weapon it"s ok
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
18.12.2011 - 21:05
arwestromen
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.12.2011 at 20:50

Really...cool I've never heard any "new" metal music on the mainstream radio except the good oldies from the 80's.....you're lycky
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
18.12.2011 - 21:20
king_matt
Wow. They literally play no metal on any radio stations here. I may have heard a song or two from Metallica's black album, but that's it.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
05.01.2012 - 18:13
Aristarchos
I think most of the more difficult genres would be commercialized, like death metal had been in melodeath and so on. I wonder when melodic djent is coming?
22.05.2012 - 16:06
Death metal And power metal will be stronger than today. Probably extreme folk bands like Ensiferum will be popular too.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
22.05.2012 - 16:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Infernal Eternal on 22.05.2012 at 16:06
Death metal And power metal will be stronger than today.

Really? Both genres have become increasingly stale over the years and are running out of ideas... what makes you think in 20 years they'll be stronger?
----
22.05.2012 - 18:49
arwestromen
Metal will probably be in the same place as jazz and blues are today....at least the mainstream metal bands.
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
23.05.2012 - 19:21
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.05.2012 at 16:22

Written by Infernal Eternal on 22.05.2012 at 16:06
Death metal And power metal will be stronger than today.

Really? Both genres have become increasingly stale over the years and are running out of ideas... what makes you think in 20 years they'll be stronger?

Well, boths genres have dedicated fans.
----
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
23.05.2012 - 19:29
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Infernal Eternal on 23.05.2012 at 19:21

You think fans will be dedicated after more than 40 years of the same sound? I personally think that's quite a stretch. Even guys like Daniel and Marcel who appreciate the revivalist death scene will likely grow tired of a revivalist revivalist death scene in 20 years.
----
23.05.2012 - 19:50
Written by Troy Killjoy on 23.05.2012 at 19:29

Written by Infernal Eternal on 23.05.2012 at 19:21

You think fans will be dedicated after more than 40 years of the same sound? I personally think that's quite a stretch. Even guys like Daniel and Marcel who appreciate the revivalist death scene will likely grow tired of a revivalist revivalist death scene in 20 years.

Good point. However, many albums with good new ideas have been released the latest years.
----