Metal Storm logo
You know you're a metalhead when...

Original post

Posted by The Alchemist, 13.10.2006 - 23:38
Well, lately I've been thinking about what does you make you a metalhead.
Listening to the music? going to concerts? dressing metal clothes? some attitude?

I don't know if I can consider myself a metalhead because I do listen to a lot of bands of different genres: Gothic, Folk, Power, Symphonic, Industrial, Atmospheric, Doom, Black, Progressive and Gothenburg. But, I don't dress metal clothes, I listen to many other kinds of music, I've never been in a metal concert... So, just being a metal expert makes you a metalhead?
What do you think?
06.10.2009 - 22:27
SerratedSyringe

You might be a metalhead if people stare at you when you pull up to stoplights blasting brutal death metal with your windows rolled down.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
08.10.2009 - 11:51
MadGatsu

Written by Warman on 03.10.2009 at 20:45

Written by Biedrik on 09.07.2009 at 05:03

You know you're a metalhead if you headbang while you have sex.

And of course, you've got metal playing on your stereo while you're having sex, right?

Mikael Åkerfeldt of Opeth once did that, a great song came on and he just couldn't resist a different kind of banging at the moment. I think he got dumped after that... I know I have the article somewhere in my room.

That..is just....brutal lol
----
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
10.10.2009 - 02:52
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Biedrik on 09.07.2009 at 05:03

You know you're a metalhead if you headbang while you have sex.

And of course, you've got metal playing on your stereo while you're having sex, right?

Specially if it's something on teh lines of THIS
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
11.10.2009 - 04:58
Archetype

Written by Deadpool on 04.10.2009 at 23:25

To be considered a metalhead, you must love metal. you don't have to dress like one, you don't have to go to concerts, you don't have to act a certain way. You just have to know what you love and never change it just because of the new trend. You just have to stick with who you are.

I couldn't have said it better myself.
11.10.2009 - 23:02
MetallicA

Written by Dangerboner on 14.10.2006 at 01:53

Well, in my case,

...when your ears constantly ring and you continue to listen to loud music and go to concerts w/o earplugs.

...when you have over 500 cd's and still aren't satisfied.

yeah I'm guilty of that! jeez i really need to start wearing earplugs...

anyways, yeah you just have to love the music. That's all it takes. It doesn't matter if you listen to other kinds of music either...you'd be pretty fuckin boring if ALL you listened to was metal. I'm not saying metal is boring (I love it duh!) but being more open minded (in terms of music and other things) makes you a more well-rounded person in general. I used to dress metal all the time and then I just started wearing what I want to wear because I no longer felt the need to constantly have to prove myself to others of my metal-ness Hell, right now if you saw what I was wearing, you wouldn't think I liked metal that's for sure! Because of that, now my boyfriend gives me crap about dressing really girly (he likes the metal/ goth look alot)...I can only think, well do you want me to look like a dude then? Ofcourse I wear metal shirts still especially for the bands I love, just not every single day like I used to.

as for concert going, some people like concerts and others don't. IMO, It has nothing to do with being metal. I love concerts just cause I think they're really fun & I love the atmosphere at metal shows but I know plenty of metalheads who rarely go, some don't like concerts because they hate large crowds, others can't afford to go all the time, others always have to work, etc... I guess it depends on the person but it doesn't make them any less metal, especially if they love metal music.

about Akerfeldt, that cracked me up! I've never done that but I have stopped to headbang or growl or whatever while making out though hahaha!
----

God's disciples want you to die!
In the blazing inferno
Slewed on Satan's pitchfork
Burning for eternity
Death
I see it coming your way
by my hand... or by your fate
with no remorse.
11.10.2009 - 23:17
Jan

Written by Archetype on 11.10.2009 at 04:58

To be considered a metalhead, you must love metal. you don't have to dress like one, you don't have to go to concerts, you don't have to act a certain way. You just have to know what you love and never change it just because of the new trend. You just have to stick with who you are.

Yeah - agree totally!
24.10.2009 - 21:30
Hanyuchan

You're a metal head if you know the difference between Heavy Metal and hard rock.
28.10.2009 - 22:40
MetallicA

Written by Hanyuchan on 24.10.2009 at 21:30

You're a metal head if you know the difference between Heavy Metal and hard rock.

hahahaha yeah that is so true. It's annoying when I tell someone I listen to death metal and then they start talking about Godsmack or some shit.
----

God's disciples want you to die!
In the blazing inferno
Slewed on Satan's pitchfork
Burning for eternity
Death
I see it coming your way
by my hand... or by your fate
with no remorse.
06.08.2010 - 18:16
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
You might be a metalhead if youre whereing a metallica tee and somebody starts talking to you about linkin park. thats annoying as piss
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
06.08.2010 - 19:49
Perseverence
Account deleted
If an episode of Bevis and Butthead chaned your life... you might be a metalhead.
07.08.2010 - 00:28
JÄY
Metal slave
If youre not willing to miss a SINGLE second on a metal album, due to things interrupting you (pause, play...pause, play...pause, play)
07.08.2010 - 18:18
survine

Written by Archetype on 11.10.2009 at 04:58

Preach on, took the words right out of my mouth.
07.08.2010 - 18:47
Angelic Storm
Melodious

As a few people have already stated, I really cant put it any better than this. xD
07.08.2010 - 21:13
RavenKing

Well said. I don't look like a metalhead at all. I never go to concerts. I hate beer and drugs.
Still, I've been listening almost exclusively to metal music for more than 25 years.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
07.08.2010 - 21:28
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Written by RavenKing on 07.08.2010 at 21:13

...I hate beer and drugs...

and what does that have to do with metal in the first place?
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
07.08.2010 - 22:03
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Zombie on 07.08.2010 at 21:28

Absolutely nothing. lol But I think its just automatically expected that if you're a metalhead, (if you're male especially) you will be an alcohol/beer drinker. I think drugs are sometimes associated with metal as well, but to a far lesser extent than beer.
07.08.2010 - 22:27
RavenKing

Written by Zombie on 07.08.2010 at 21:28

Written by RavenKing on 07.08.2010 at 21:13

...I hate beer and drugs...

Beer and drugs have nothing to do with being a metalhead or not. My point was that too many people think you need such shit to be a true metalhead, a mentality I always found quite retarded.
It's what you're listening to that makes you a metalhead, not silly behavior.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
08.08.2010 - 00:07
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Ok.. its just that i never did drugs or even smoke cigarettes and i've been listening to metal since i was 8 years old.
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
09.08.2010 - 02:13
whatsacow

You might be a metalhead if you make a movie about edward scissors masturbating, with say, bloodbath playing in the background; and take every chance you possibly can to call it br00tal
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
09.08.2010 - 15:03
Perseverence
Account deleted
If you go to a show to meet women, you might be a metalhead.
10.08.2010 - 07:59
whatsacow

Written by whatsacow on 09.08.2010 at 02:13

You might be a metalhead if you make a movie about edward scissors masturbating, with say, bloodbath playing in the background; and take every chance you possibly can to call it br00tal

Ok... I have no memory of typing that lol.

I think being a metalhead is comes down to having a metal dominated taste in music. I guess I'm mainly a metalhead; as metal takes up about 70% of my music collection, but I don't dress like a metalhead (apart from some band shirts occasionally) and have short hair, and besides, the people who fit the metal aesthetic are generally considered poseurs anyway. I'm not an overly violent person, and i highly doubt the majority of metalheads are. We just are normal individualistic people combined over a passion of darker, faster and heavier forms of music. Thats basically what makes up a metalhead: Love of the music.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
13.08.2010 - 11:50
Perseverance
Account deleted
If your mom says "Move this guitar so I can fukking vacuum!"
If you are a wunnabie Jeff Foxworthy you just might, just might be a Redneck Metalhead!
17.08.2010 - 04:24
SerratedSyringe

Written by Guest on 09.08.2010 at 15:03

If you go to a show to meet women, you might be a metalhead.

I really hope you were kidding...
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
17.08.2010 - 11:23
ForeverDarkWoods

Written by Angelic Storm on 07.08.2010 at 22:03

I think drugs are sometimes associated with metal as well, but to a far lesser extent than beer.

Where I'm from just about all the metalheads at least smoke weed (some do heavier stuff too), so this is not so strange to me.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
17.08.2010 - 17:50
FOOCK Nam

One of my roomates said metal people are often known to be with drug.
17.08.2010 - 19:12
HugeTheConqeror

Being a metalhead is about the music first and foremost, but I think it also encompasses a strong commitment to individuality. We love our music, no matter how many others tell us that it is crap and nothing but noise. To metalheads, allegiance to something that we love in the face of public disapproval is a badge of honor.
----
Pardon me while I wreak my vengeance.
18.08.2010 - 08:27
whatsacow

Written by HugeTheConqeror on 17.08.2010 at 19:12

Being a metalhead is about the music first and foremost, but I think it also encompasses a strong commitment to individuality. We love our music, no matter how many others tell us that it is crap and nothing but noise. To metalheads, allegiance to something that we love in the face of public disapproval is a badge of honor.

Amen viking man. Amen.
----
18.08.2010 - 12:27
ForeverDarkWoods

Written by HugeTheConqeror on 17.08.2010 at 19:12

I fully agree. What I posted about drugs was just an observation.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
18.08.2010 - 19:06
KosfanMarya

i agree with you so much my friend!i have nothing to say more!
30.01.2011 - 11:51
Vivi'

I also agree - a metalhead is someone who loves metal. That's it. I wear heels and really don't care.

About the concerts - for me the most amazing thing is great music played live, so I think the true fans goes to concerts.