Metal Storm logo
You know you're a metalhead when...

Original post

Posted by The Alchemist, 13.10.2006 - 23:38
Well, lately I've been thinking about what does you make you a metalhead.
Listening to the music? going to concerts? dressing metal clothes? some attitude?

I don't know if I can consider myself a metalhead because I do listen to a lot of bands of different genres: Gothic, Folk, Power, Symphonic, Industrial, Atmospheric, Doom, Black, Progressive and Gothenburg. But, I don't dress metal clothes, I listen to many other kinds of music, I've never been in a metal concert... So, just being a metal expert makes you a metalhead?
What do you think?
30.01.2011 - 13:27
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by KosfanMarya on 18.08.2010 at 19:06

Written by Deadpool on 04.10.2009 at 23:25

To be considered a metalhead, you must love metal. you don't have to dress like one, you don't have to go to concerts, you don't have to act a certain way. You just have to know what you love and never change it just because of the new trend. You just have to stick with who you are.

i agree with you so much my friend!i have nothing to say more!

I concur, I dress in metal fashion ocassionally in general, but all the time when I'm going to concerts obviously. People who go to concerts aren't necessarily 'true fans' however, some people who just love being out and can stand any music can sometimes be found
30.01.2011 - 13:33
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Personally I consider myself not just a metalhead, but also a metalneck, metalarm, metalleg and metaltorso. You'd never think I was into metal if you looked at me, most people think I only listen to classical music, because I wear suits. You don't have to look metal to be metal.
30.01.2011 - 14:50
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Guest on 30.01.2011 at 13:33

Personally I consider myself not just a metalhead, but also a metalneck, metalarm, metalleg and metaltorso.

Soft, with very fragile bones.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
30.01.2011 - 15:13
ANGEL REAPER
To be metalhead you just have to have metalhead spirit...
To do what you want,to think on your own and enjoy your music
Clothing style,going to the gigs,drinking a lot dont have anything with it....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
30.01.2011 - 18:00
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by vezzy on 30.01.2011 at 14:50

Written by Guest on 30.01.2011 at 13:33

Personally I consider myself not just a metalhead, but also a metalneck, metalarm, metalleg and metaltorso.

Soft, with very fragile bones.

Not that I'm not flattered by the attention or anything, but do you have anything to say on the subject of being a metalhead or are you just here to talk about me?
15.03.2011 - 15:06
BrokenKnuckles
I think its alot more than just owning a few metal CDs. I dont exactly dress like a metal head, my clothes are normally Jeans and a tshirt. But what make me a metal head I think is, the fact that I fucking love metal! and anyone I meet that loves metal becomes my best friend. Its almost like a fucking religion.
15.03.2011 - 19:19
Void_Eater
Account deleted
A metalhead is a devoted fan of heavy metal, and who is also knowledgable enough to know what the hell metal is.
17.03.2011 - 03:55
Yojimbo
Written by BrokenKnuckles on 15.03.2011 at 15:06

I think its alot more than just owning a few metal CDs. I dont exactly dress like a metal head, my clothes are normally Jeans and a tshirt. But what make me a metal head I think is, the fact that I fucking love metal! and anyone I meet that loves metal becomes my best friend. Its almost like a fucking religion.

I know exactly what you mean. I'm always explaining to people that the shows I go to aren't about violence and hatred. It's just people who relate to each other.
06.05.2011 - 19:03
Ghostdancer
A metalhead is someone who loves the music and is devoted to it. You don't have to dress any particular way, act in any particular way...just love the music and be yourself. Even though you don't necessarily need to go to shows to be a metalhead, I'd recommend taking in at least a few...the live experience can be a religious one. A group of metalheads coming together to share in the live experience creates a great atmosphere that can't be replicated in any other way. I don't go to gigs all that often, but when I do I walk away feeling just a bit more alive and in tune with the music and with my fellow metalheads.
----
"Bullshit! You didn't convince me!"
16.05.2011 - 06:37
king_matt
Written by Guest on 15.03.2011 at 19:19

A metalhead is a devoted fan of heavy metal, and who is also knowledgable enough to know what the hell metal is.

That's probably the best way to sum it up in just one sentence.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
18.09.2011 - 01:42
listmor
With all these replies no one has managed to get it officially right.

Lets clarify something first. We arent asking about what is an extreme metalhead, a devoted metalhead etc. It is simply what is a metalhead.

A metalhead is someone who after hearing a classic album such as "master", "peace sells", "symbolic" etc etc doesn't say, "all those songs sound the same". That alone doesnt make them a metalhead. Secondly, as long as they prefer listening to metal and do so for more than 50% of the time when they are selecting the music that is being listened to then that listener my friends is a metalhead.
18.09.2011 - 23:26
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by listmor on 18.09.2011 at 01:42

Lets clarify something first. We arent asking about what is an extreme metalhead, a devoted metalhead etc. It is simply what is a metalhead.

A metalhead is someone who after hearing a classic album such as "master", "peace sells", "symbolic" etc etc doesn't say, "all those songs sound the same". That alone doesnt make them a metalhead. Secondly, as long as they prefer listening to metal and do so for more than 50% of the time when they are selecting the music that is being listened to then that listener my friends is a metalhead.

Well, all the songs on MoP do sound the same.
19.09.2011 - 00:54
listmor
Written by Guest on 18.09.2011 at 23:26

LOL, Well I guess it is "hip" to be seen as a Metalhead. But all that "hip" and the "hop" all sounds the same.
19.09.2011 - 07:39
JCJen7
Written by Guest on 18.09.2011 at 23:26

Lol, jokes? Cuz i have never really seen that as an argument gainst mop.
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
20.09.2011 - 13:29
edgethrasherx
You have to just love and enjoy the music. And also show support for the bands by not pirating their music, and going to concerts if you can
----
"killing for religion. something i don't understand"-Dave Mustaine
09.11.2011 - 21:11
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
I think part of being a metalhead is not giving a shit what others think. To me there is no right way to dress or anything like that, if you ove metal, then you love metal, and thats something that brings metalheads together despite race, apperance, or someother thing. So dress to me does not make a metalhead, but being devoted and loving the music does.
09.11.2011 - 21:18
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
You know you're a metalhead when you listen to Korn.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.11.2011 - 03:36
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.11.2011 at 21:18

While you rock the slipknot tattoo on your arm.
11.11.2011 - 06:46
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 09.11.2011 at 21:11

I think part of being a metalhead is not giving a shit what others think.

I've always seen this as part of the metal spirit. (although of course you don't have to listen to metal to have this attitude) Just being yourself, and not conforming just to fit in with others. Which is quite an irony, when so many people who class themselves as "metalheads" do compromise themselves just to fit in and to be accepted by their peers. From the outside, it probably seems like metalheads are rebels against mainstream society, and sheep/group think mentality. But most metalheads are just as guilty of that stuff as people who don't listen to metal.
11.11.2011 - 08:19
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Angelic Storm on 11.11.2011 at 06:46
But most metalheads are just as guilty of that stuff as people who don't listen to metal.

Too true. And most metalheads would rather die before admitting it, while others are just completely unaware how similar we metalheads are to the rest of the world.

We're just people who listen to music, not unlike anyone else.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.11.2011 - 09:30
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.11.2011 at 08:19
Too true. And most metalheads would rather die before admitting it, while others are just completely unaware how similar we metalheads are to the rest of the world.

We're just people who listen to music, not unlike anyone else.

Exactly. It was like a stupid thread a while back, where someone claimed that metalhead guys preffered fat/unconventionally attractive girls. Which is total nonsense. Most metalheads like to believe they are rebelling against regular society, bilssfully unaware of the fact that aside from the music they listen to, (and maybe also how they dress) they are no different to everyone else. There's a minority in most cultures who will be themselves no matter what, and not conform to an ideal just to fit in/be accepted by peers in that culture. The metal scene certainly doesn't have a monopoly on such attitudes. When I was younger, I did see metal as part of not conforming, being yourself, and not compromising yourself just to fit in. But over the years, I've realised that most metalheads are just as much sheep and conformist as everyone else. You're right, most metalheads won't admit it, but it's still true nonetheless.
24.11.2011 - 06:33
I will see the evil in their eyes? The power behind Metal is very huge. Besides they go to concerns and collection original discs of Metal bands, finally a true headbanger can not tolerate disturb. We are free and pride people.
----
Lord of abyss, you are more powerful is thousand suns, you are more terrible a infinite deaths. I will see the heaven lit by burst; I will see the glory burn in infernal flames.

Rockers Go to Hell: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39GILx56cV8

The Emperor
04.12.2011 - 17:12
Kennoth

Fuck me kid, if that's true, I shit metal for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
04.12.2011 - 17:17
Kennoth
Written by Angelic Storm on 11.11.2011 at 06:46

Written by Guest on 09.11.2011 at 21:11

I think part of being a metalhead is not giving a shit what others think.

I've always seen this as part of the metal spirit. (although of course you don't have to listen to metal to have this attitude) Just being yourself, and not conforming just to fit in with others. Which is quite an irony, when so many people who class themselves as "metalheads" do compromise themselves just to fit in and to be accepted by their peers. From the outside, it probably seems like metalheads are rebels against mainstream society, and sheep/group think mentality. But most metalheads are just as guilty of that stuff as people who don't listen to metal.

I have nothing more to add. A lot of metalheads believe themselves to be more intelligent or more rebellious than the rest of the world, when in fact they're generally just as close-minded and prone to "follow the leader" mentality like anyone else.

For me, you're a metalhead if you think and act for yourself, if you're not easily influenced by others, if you can form your own logical opinion (or maybe I'm just asking too much on this), and of course, if you're listening to metal at least 50% of the time. That's all.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
13.01.2012 - 01:12
lordchadi
In my teenage i used to wear metal shirts but now i don like that despite that im now more expert in metal than before
13.01.2012 - 07:05
slinx
I was on a river cruise for New Year's Eve. The bar was open and drinks were going everywhere, usually enough drinks to make me get up and dance; however I had hurt my foot a few days before and couldn't put too much pressure on my toes.

The atmosphere was intended for couples, lovers, and married older folks (30's-50's) and all music played was of the funky 70's \ 80's dancing variety found at all white people dances and weddings. Two hours of this and two hours additional of white rap (non offensive rap that is telling the group to dance) I finally had enough of guitar solo-less songs, went outside to the deck, turned on my mp3 player with one earbud in and rocked the fuck out.

Five minutes later I walked back in aurally satisfied, went straight to the bar and ordered a Bud Light & Miami Vice. Got back to my table, put my other earbud in, yelled at my foot for being a pussy, and started headbanging \ dancing. Neon Knights!!!!

That's how I know I'm a metalhead.
----
'You're short, you're fat, and even for a film critic you are ugly.' - The Critic
13.01.2012 - 07:18
Void Eater
Account deleted

Poser, I only listen to old school 80's metal like Poison and Motley Crue.
14.01.2012 - 05:36
Guib
Thrash Talker
I know im metal when I wake up... Sick, and Im very frustrated because any music I put gives me a headache and I just wanna thrash the fuck out of my house, cuz it REALLY PISSES ME OFFF !!!#@!#@!
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
14.01.2012 - 20:00
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
You know you're a metalhead when you are a chronic Heavy Metal nerd and beats the fuck out off the kids who listen to Bieber, Black and ( following contemporaries)!!
14.01.2012 - 20:45
Uldreth
No, that is not called a metalhead, that is called a fucking asshole .