Metal Storm logo
You know you're a metalhead when...

Original post

Posted by The Alchemist, 13.10.2006 - 23:38
Well, lately I've been thinking about what does you make you a metalhead.
Listening to the music? going to concerts? dressing metal clothes? some attitude?

I don't know if I can consider myself a metalhead because I do listen to a lot of bands of different genres: Gothic, Folk, Power, Symphonic, Industrial, Atmospheric, Doom, Black, Progressive and Gothenburg. But, I don't dress metal clothes, I listen to many other kinds of music, I've never been in a metal concert... So, just being a metal expert makes you a metalhead?
What do you think?
26.05.2012 - 00:18
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I used to be very close minded, just after my Metalcore phase, I went on a Tr00 crusade. If it wasn't metal, it was shit.

I wish I could change it, but I guess I can just keep living a little more open minded from now on.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
26.05.2012 - 00:53
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.05.2012 at 21:05

It's not like I don't know the origins - I've seen him interviewed about the horns and I know about its evolution from his performances. It's no longer a symbol restricted to metal fans, even though they are the ones who largely helped popularize it.

Hell, even Avril Lavigne gives the horns during her concerts.

Around my area, it's been developed into an expressision meaning "bullshit." If you disagreed or saw something as stupid, you could just flash it without giving an explanation, you could just flash it. IT was basically saying "This is stupid and I'm not gonna explain why."
When I went to a show in Cleveland, I saw a dude do it to another guy (Who got clearly pissed off). When I asked him why it pissed him off he told me.
26.05.2012 - 01:56
Zombie94

Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.05.2012 at 00:15

Written by Uldreth on 26.05.2012 at 00:13
I tend to avoid calling myself metalhead just to escape this stigma.

Likewise. Too many idiots have ruined the title for the rest of us. I just tell people I listen to "everything" when they ask, just so they don't assume I'm one of those elitist asshole Youtube trolls going around bashing everyone for not having the same sophisticated taste in music as me.

It annoys me when people say they 'listen to everything'. Usually that means they just listen to whatever is on the radio. I highly doubt their favourite artists range from Mozart, to Tupac, to The Spice Girls, to Cannibal Corpse and Blood On The Dance Floor. I always answer that question with metal because, other than hard rock and some acoustic stuff, that really is all I listen to. Still, I understand the reason why you say it but despite some dumb metal fans, I'm still proud of who I am and where my interests lie. There's just as many ignorant fans of every other music genre.
26.05.2012 - 02:46
RobertNowhere

And there was a crew of drum n bass headz back in the day who were known as Metalheadz too...

but yeah, i think it has an ambivalent meaning in that it can refer to someone who has a thick skull or is hard-headed in the sense that the things people tell them just dont penetrate and/or it can refer to someone who is tough, so tough they can put their head through a wall

or i could be totally full of shit
----
http://robertnowhere.blogspot.com
26.05.2012 - 02:53
Mr. Blonde

Written by Zombie94 on 26.05.2012 at 01:56

Likewise. Too many idiots have ruined the title for the rest of us. I just tell people I listen to "everything" when they ask, just so they don't assume I'm one of those elitist asshole Youtube trolls going around bashing everyone for not having the same sophisticated taste in music as me.

It annoys me when people say they 'listen to everything'. Usually that means they just listen to whatever is on the radio. I highly doubt their favourite artists range from Mozart, to Tupac, to The Spice Girls, to Cannibal Corpse and Blood On The Dance Floor. I always answer that question with metal because, other than hard rock and some acoustic stuff, that really is all I listen to. Still, I understand the reason why you say it but despite some dumb metal fans, I'm still proud of who I am and where my interests lie. There's just as many ignorant fans of every other music genre.

Ya never know, that guy could exist.

On topic: If the music you predominantly enjoy is metal and it's not just a 10 second phase of one's life... then you're a metalhead. I really do think it is as simple as that and just like Cill94 said, if you're proud of who you are and where your interests lie then metalhead is a term to be proud of too!
26.05.2012 - 03:13
Edmund Fogg

You know you're a Metalhead when you're a metal turtle sent to destroy the Ninja Turtles.

----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
26.05.2012 - 03:28
Thrashette

Written by Boxcar Willy on 26.05.2012 at 00:18

I used to be very close minded, just after my Metalcore phase, I went on a Tr00 crusade. If it wasn't metal, it was shit.

I think that's common for young metalheads. I know I went through a phase like that when I was like 16-17, which was surprisingly sandwiched between phases of extreme open-mindedness... If being a metalhead means dismissing anything that isn't metal, it's not a label I can put on myself or would even want to. I would say that being able to appreciate any type of good music and even gaining some basic knowledge of other types of music (like knowing that rap music can involve talent, that what most people call Classical music would correctly be called Western art music, and that "goth" doesn't mean Marilyn Manson, Evanescence, and Cradle of Filth for instance) is part of being a metalhead. Metal is the only genre I go out of my way to listen to on a regular basis, but I wouldn't say it's the only good one.
26.05.2012 - 10:32
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.05.2012 at 13:41

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 25.05.2012 at 08:09
When you raise...

Seriously? I think I've seen rap artists do that. It's definitely no longer "metal" or whatever.

Quite right. Not only rap artists, even pop stupid fraternity often use it.

But I missed the Metal horns and since it was been famous by Rio's grandmom( when Rio was leaving for her first Metal tour...her grandmom used this "Metal devil horns" back in 60's) it was once considered one of the famous gesture by the metalhead. Humph!
26.05.2012 - 14:27
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 26.05.2012 at 14:26

You quoted the wrong person there, champ.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.05.2012 - 15:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Mr. Blonde on 26.05.2012 at 02:53

On topic: If the music you predominantly enjoy is metal and it's not just a 10 second phase of one's life... then you're a metalhead.

Exactly. It's actually the only music I have enjoyed since 1979 (with a couple of ska and mod bands thrown in in the very early Eighties, some punk as wel and some real hardcore) So, almost 33 years (this coming September to be more exact) down the line it is safe to say my 10 second phase is over and I am a die hard metalhead who only becomes more die hard by the year.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.05.2012 - 20:02
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
I do believe that this was supposed to be a play on the Jeff Foxworthy thing...finishing the post with a punchline. All I see is a bunch of poo. Someone say something funny! (And one more thing...if my 6 year old nephew who only likes cartoon songs grabs my guitar and plays it- I'm not gonna go "Well, I guess my guitar is no longer metal." Don't allow others to ruin what is metal to you! I want some of you to think about how ridiculously serious you are being on an obviously whimsical forum topic. You even have ME doing it!)

Howsabout this:
You might be a metalhead when your death metal band is playing a gig, and your metal Mom shows up and does circular wheelies in her wheelchair in the moshpit. (True story. Lol.)
26.05.2012 - 20:25
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Tristus Scriptor on 26.05.2012 at 20:02

(And one more thing...if my 6 year old nephew who only likes cartoon songs grabs my guitar and plays it- I'm not gonna go "Well, I guess my guitar is no longer metal."

Bitch, you crazy (and rather unfunny at that). Cartoons are fucking metal.
26.05.2012 - 20:33
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
Written by Zombie94 on 26.05.2012 at 01:56

I like you. hehe. I'm proud of my over two decades of metal worship. I'm no elitist. I listen to anything from Suffocation to Dio, Emperor to Cradle (in which I don't call trendy and Hot Topic-y just because they sell albums), Maiden to Being Killed, Nightwish to Mortician, Deicide to Extol (see what I did there?)...whatever. But I'm not so proud as to say that I'm above the metalhead label. Hell, some metal people call me goth 'cause of my look. Give me a break. Ozzy wears guyliner. Besides; my wife loves it when I do. Whatever. Sure. Those nights...call me goth. We can talk Nosferatu. I'm tired of everyone trying to find reason to either fight or put their tail between their legs.
26.05.2012 - 20:36
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
Written by Guest on 26.05.2012 at 20:25

Written by Tristus Scriptor on 26.05.2012 at 20:02

(And one more thing...if my 6 year old nephew who only likes cartoon songs grabs my guitar and plays it- I'm not gonna go "Well, I guess my guitar is no longer metal."

Bitch, you crazy (and rather unfunny at that). Cartoons are fucking metal.

Lol. Well...YOU are funny. And that Mom story was true (God rest her soul)...which was the only thing I wrote here that I personally find funny. I'm serious about the rest. And at least 45% of my viewing pleasure is cartoons, thank you very much! I think you miss my point. (Or you are joking. I never know on here, haha!)
27.05.2012 - 00:52
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Tristus Scriptor on 26.05.2012 at 20:33
...or put their tail between their legs.

I'm assuming that's directed at me because I don't advertise myself as being a metalhead, which is a pretty weak attempt at generalizing to be honest.

I don't tell people right off the bat that I listen to metal when they ask what music I listen to because normally they just ask "like Metallica" and explaining anything beyond that becomes an annoyance after so many prior discussions regarding my musical taste. It has nothing to do with cowardice.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
27.05.2012 - 04:41
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.05.2012 at 00:52

Written by Tristus Scriptor on 26.05.2012 at 20:33
...or put their tail between their legs.

I'm assuming that's directed at me because I don't advertise myself as being a metalhead, which is a pretty weak attempt at generalizing to be honest.

I don't tell people right off the bat that I listen to metal when they ask what music I listen to because normally they just ask "like Metallica" and explaining anything beyond that becomes an annoyance after so many prior discussions regarding my musical taste. It has nothing to do with cowardice.

Dude? WTF? Why would you assume that's directed at you? Do you think I'm out to get you or something? Are you feeling guilty? Lol. I told you that I like you, find you funny, and just a little douchebaggy (playfully)...then went on to identify with you by even saying that I, myself, can be an ass at times. No it wasn't toward you. I was speaking of how for a while there I stopped being metal altogether (cut my hair, went to church 3 times a week, gave in to management at a shitty job that I hated...well, still kinda do that, actually...tried to drop all darkness...let's just say i was misguided by a lot of bad things happening to me in my life...thought God was punishing me) But yea. I didn't want to admit all that. But if it's to make peace with a fellow music lover- so be it. But I LOVE admitting to being a metalhead. That's the only place we differ here. And there's nothing wrong with that.
27.05.2012 - 04:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Tristus Scriptor on 27.05.2012 at 04:41
But I LOVE admitting to being a metalhead. That's the only place we differ here. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Fair enough. And sorry again for the misunderstanding, I'm a great communicator in person but I've never been great at online communication.
----
27.05.2012 - 06:54
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.05.2012 at 04:45

But I LOVE admitting to being a metalhead. That's the only place we differ here. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Fair enough. And sorry again for the misunderstanding, I'm a great communicator in person but I've never been great at online communication.

Well...I guess since I was looking back at some of the discussion comments, I saw that my whole "6 year old with my guitar" comment and lack of agreement with you about the horns thing kinda looked as if in opposition with ya, I don't totally blame you for assuming. Call it a 20/20 retrospect. I really just considered that stuff forum discussion banter, though. But, really... I want to have fun on here. I'm not much of a fan of heated debates. (If you look at the topics I've created; they almost always mention having fun. Either that, or I go so far as to flat out say "no fighting".)
27.05.2012 - 08:07
Stoned Crow
Account deleted
Written by Tristus Scriptor on 27.05.2012 at 06:54

Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.05.2012 at 04:45

Well...I guess since I was looking back at some of the discussion comments, I saw that my whole "6 year old with my guitar" comment and lack of agreement with you about the horns thing kinda looked as if in opposition with ya, I don't totally blame you for assuming. Call it a 20/20 retrospect. I really just considered that stuff forum discussion banter, though. But, really... I want to have fun on here. I'm not much of a fan of heated debates. (If you look at the topics I've created; they almost always mention having fun. Either that, or I go so far as to flat out say "no fighting".)

There is nothing like an on-line romance. Love is in the air.
27.05.2012 - 08:23
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
Quote:
Quote:

There is nothing like an on-line romance. Love is in the air.

I love love in all of it's loveliness. Hail Satan. (Sincerely, a Christian in a black leather clown suit.)
27.05.2012 - 09:02
Stoned Crow
Account deleted
I was only wondering if you two were interested in a third leg...

I would only be worried if you were a Christian in a white dress and a fish hat- even then I wouldn't be "worried"
(Sincerely, a Christian in a white tee-shirt and blue jeans)
27.05.2012 - 10:54
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Another /offtopic comment and account deleted.
28.05.2012 - 00:51
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
WTF? Did Stoned Crow really get deleted for being silly on a silly forum toic? If that's the way it is- then whoever did that needs to get laid.
28.05.2012 - 01:04
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Tristus Scriptor on 28.05.2012 at 00:51

WTF? Did Stoned Crow really get deleted for being silly on a silly forum toic? If that's the way it is- then whoever did that needs to get laid.

No. He offed himself. There's an option to delete your own account. Some of us (staff/elite) are as "wtf 'ed" as you are.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
28.05.2012 - 01:15
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
Written by X-Ray Rod on 28.05.2012 at 01:04

Written by Tristus Scriptor on 28.05.2012 at 00:51

No. He offed himself. There's an option to delete your own account. Some of us (staff/elite) are as "wtf 'ed" as you are.

Gotcha. I didn't think ya'll were that sphincterfaced.
28.05.2012 - 02:16
Zombie94

Dude? WTF? Why would you assume that's directed at you? Do you think I'm out to get you or something? Are you feeling guilty? Lol. I told you that I like you

Actually you said you liked me . You misquoted earlier. I'm the guy who said he was still proud to announce being a metalhead despite the stigma it sometimes carries. Troy's the one who doesn't like being associated with metal elitists.
28.05.2012 - 02:35
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
Aw. You jealous? hehe. JK. I know I said that. I was referring to many almost heated debated he and I have, and what I said to him at a different time to try and chill our headbutting. You musn't have paid attention to the rest of it. But, as stated above- I gots lots of love to give! Bring on the bro-hugs!!!
28.05.2012 - 02:39
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
Earlier: "But I LOVE admitting to being a metalhead. That's the only place we differ here. And there's nothing wrong with that." See, Cill94?
28.05.2012 - 02:55
Zombie94

Written by Tristus Scriptor on 28.05.2012 at 02:39

Earlier: "But I LOVE admitting to being a metalhead. That's the only place we differ here. And there's nothing wrong with that." See, Cill94?

I see
28.05.2012 - 22:34
Zombie94

Written by Boxcar Willy on 26.05.2012 at 00:18

I wish I could change it, but I guess I can just keep living a little more open minded from now on.

Same (although without the metalcore phase). I kept on getting beaten in arguments with more open minded people, and soon realised it was because I didn't actually believe in what I was saying, I'd just allowed myself to be influenced by the elitists. But everyone has the capacity to change. Nobody's born wise, you get there by making mistakes and being told you're a tool