Metal Storm logo
Blut Aus Nord

Original post

Posted by , 18.05.2006 - 11:52
Further proof that France do own the world's finest black metal bands.

Spanning black metal and industrial/ambient, Vindsval has created an absolute monolithe in post bm. He began with the title 'Vlad' before changing the name after two demos and creating the much loved 'Ultima Thulee' which really put them on the map. As his career progressed he experimented with industrial and ambient and has carved the now highly stylised and distinctive Blut Aus Nord sound.
22.06.2014 - 20:44
Lit.
Account deleted
(That awkward moment when you prefer the MV twins over MoRT).

Also, a store near me is selling all three of the 777 albums for like seven bucks each (HA!). I've only listen to the latest once, but I'm conflicting on whether or not I want to grab it.
22.06.2014 - 21:10
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 22.06.2014 at 20:44

(That awkward moment when you prefer the MV twins over MoRT).

Also, a store near me is selling all three of the 777 albums for like seven bucks each (HA!). I've only listen to the latest once, but I'm conflicting on whether or not I want to grab it.

The previous two own the third one if you ask me. Specially the second part of the triology. So, it's a no-brainer.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
22.06.2014 - 23:02
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 22.06.2014 at 21:10

The previous two own the third one if you ask me. Specially the second part of the triology. So, it's a no-brainer.

So it is. Thanks!
Only hope I can grab them before someone else does.
23.06.2014 - 11:03
Melkor

Written by Karlabos on 22.06.2014 at 16:28

(That awkward moment when the Memoria Vetustas were about the only albums you ever heard of Blut aus Nord)

you should obviously listen to their industrial stuff. but if you really enjoy (love ) the MVs i think it would sorta alter the impression of BaN you have now, the same happened to me.
btw if you love the MVs and ultima thulee you must check out an early project of vindsval - The Eye. really good. goes out for everyone!
23.06.2014 - 11:22
Melkor

Written by Ilham on 22.06.2014 at 15:22

Written by Melkor on 22.06.2014 at 13:01

I cant seem to understand why memoria vetusta 1 is not considered by any means there best album. i personally dont enjoy there industrial shift from the original raw black metal they played. surely WTTWG is a good album but i mv1 is my personal favourite. such beautiful riffs and songwriting. i just hope that mv3 will be proper traditional black metal and not just slow drums with weirdass sounds going around ( no hate pls )

If BaN goes back to doing boring traditional BM, it'd be a disaster. They brought some much to the genre and made great albums after MV, why would they come back to something that had been done a hundred times already? It's ok if you don't like change and innovation, or just don't like the change BaN operated in their music, but Metal would be in the gutter if guys like that didn't flip their shit for some reason and turn their back to traditional kvltness.
I don't know if this counts as hate. But if it does, you brought it upon yourself and even predicted it, so there .

i personally think they have turned their backs to the traditional kvltness as you say. atleast they should create some records with some drumblasts and sick riffs and solos.
and dont you think after WTTWG,morts,libers,777s even BaN has become repetitive?doing more or less the same thing over hundreds of songs?
23.06.2014 - 12:25
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Melkor on 23.06.2014 at 11:22

atleast they should create some records with some drumblasts and sick riffs and solos.
and dont you think after WTTWG,morts,libers,777s even BaN has become repetitive?doing more or less the same thing over hundreds of songs?

Up until Odinist, which I didn't like, I don't think they have repeated themselves enough to invalidate the fact they put out innovative and influential BM. But even if they had, it doesn't take the genius out of what they did before they started allegedly repeating themselves.
I don't believe BM is only about tremolo picking and hours long of blast beating. I guess it's just not the band for you if it's what you like.
EDIT: I haven't listened to much of what they released after 2008. But I'm sure my point still stands.
23.06.2014 - 12:52
mz

Written by Melkor on 23.06.2014 at 11:22

All of the albums you mentioned are completely different. Even the last part of the 777s is totally different from the previous two. I really don't see how they are repeating themselves on those ones you mentioned.
Also, you complain that Vindsval is doing the same thing "he" has done before (which as I said I disagree) and advice to do the same thing that "others" have done before him?
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
23.06.2014 - 15:39
Melkor

Well as i said im not much of a fan of their industrial work still i will give it more listens as most of you are panties down impressed by it. for me he is kinda repetitive still maybe because ive focused more on the first two albums.
19.08.2014 - 16:22
togo95

19.08.2014 - 16:44
Ilham
Giant robot
Would have been nice to have like, I don't know, a sentence, or even just random words that could have indicated if this was a new song. Instead of making me work for it. I suppose this is from MV III.
19.08.2014 - 23:51
Vombatus
Potorro
Production is really good, music is quite cool but 2 minutes ain't enough... though it is clearly very MV-ish, more kind of II than I in the riffing.
20.08.2014 - 18:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Ilham on 19.08.2014 at 16:44

Would have been nice to have like, I don't know, a sentence, or even just random words that could have indicated if this was a new song. Instead of making me work for it

Imagine having to put some work of your own into it, the horror, the horror!!!!

You would have died crying your eyes due to all the work you had to put into checking out unknown new music in the 80s.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.08.2014 - 18:20
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Eh, kinda boring,... Then again so is most of BAN's melodic black stuff.
----
Rod, let me love you.
20.08.2014 - 18:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 20.08.2014 at 18:20

I just wanted to say... then again so are MVI and II standard boring melodic black.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.08.2014 - 18:35
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.08.2014 at 18:33

I just wanted to say... then again so are MVI and II standard boring melodic black.

I really dont get it when some people say their debut or the first MV are unique stuff.
----
Rod, let me love you.
20.08.2014 - 18:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 20.08.2014 at 18:35

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.08.2014 at 18:33

I really dont get it when some people say their debut or the first MV are unique stuff.

Must be people who aren't familiar with a lot of black
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.08.2014 - 18:39
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.08.2014 at 18:12

You would have died crying your eyes due to all the work you had to put into checking out unknown new music in the 80s.

Always a pleasure to see my humour is appreciated and to give you something to complain about yourself.
20.08.2014 - 21:28
mz

Not bad, but this is a waste of energy for Vindsval. I know it seems selfish to want the musicians do whatever you like but I really wished these MV series went under the name of another band, or simple weren't produced at all.
----
20.08.2014 - 21:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Ilham on 20.08.2014 at 18:39

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.08.2014 at 18:12

Always a pleasure to see my humour is appreciated and to give you something to complain about yourself.

You call what you posted here humour? well that last remark of yours was humourous indeed.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.08.2014 - 22:05
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.08.2014 at 18:37

Must be people who aren't familiar with a lot of black

I haven't seen a lot of people calling the debut and the MVs "unique". And rightly so, as they are not.
On the other hand, lots of people say they are great albums (as long as melodic black metal is concerned). I personnally think MVI is one of the best melo-black album ever (if not the best), MVII was quite meh-ish however.
20.08.2014 - 22:20
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Vombatus on 20.08.2014 at 22:05
I haven't seen a lot of people calling the debut and the MVs "unique". And rightly so, as they are not.
On the other hand, lots of people say they are great albums (as long as melodic black metal is concerned). I personnally think MVI is one of the best melo-black album ever (if not the best), MVII was quite meh-ish however.

Agreed, a great album for what it is, one that stands above most of its peers so to speak.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
20.08.2014 - 22:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I wouldn;t even call MVI gret just a normal okay melodic black album but that's it.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.08.2014 - 22:08
V01d

Just picked up copies of The Mystical Beast of Rebellion (with the three bonus tracks) and The Work Which Transforms God (with the Thematic Emanation Of Archetypal Multiplicity EP), going to wait for nightfall so the atmosphere is just right. Never heard a track off of either, so wish me luck. I've already heard their first two, and greatly enjoyed them. As others have said, they are not unique in the realm of black metal by any stretch of the imagination, though they contain some charming elements.
21.08.2014 - 22:52
Ilham
Giant robot
I wish I could go back in time to be able to rediscover TWWTG. I'm so envious.
21.08.2014 - 22:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
The Mystical Beast is probably my least fave BaN album, but the three bonus reissue tracks are great.
21.08.2014 - 23:10
mz

Written by V01d on 21.08.2014 at 22:08

Just picked up copies of The Mystical Beast of Rebellion (with the three bonus tracks) and The Work Which Transforms God (with the Thematic Emanation Of Archetypal Multiplicity EP), going to wait for nightfall so the atmosphere is just right. Never heard a track off of either, so wish me luck. I've already heard their first two, and greatly enjoyed them. As others have said, they are not unique in the realm of black metal by any stretch of the imagination, though they contain some charming elements.

screw The Mystical Beast of Rebellion. Just go directly to the TWWTG+TEoAM. Play them in the order and see the magic of music
----
21.08.2014 - 23:55
V01d

Written by mz on 21.08.2014 at 23:10

Written by V01d on 21.08.2014 at 22:08

screw The Mystical Beast of Rebellion. Just go directly to the TWWTG+TEoAM. Play them in the order and see the magic of music

From what little I've read about The Mystical Beast of Rebellion, it is very repetitive, minimalistic, almost the same constant drum tempo through the album, Transilvanian Hunger styled black metal. If that is the case, I am going to love this album. As far as TWWTG, I really have no idea what to expect, so my mind is wide open for that one.
22.08.2014 - 00:05
Alien1988

The Mystical Beast is also my least favourite BaN record but I find myself enjoying it more and more over the years. First I could not stand the repetitiveness but it's becoming a strength of the album for me since it creates nice and filthy atmosphere. And there are those who claim it to be the ultimate BaN classic but I think every album they have ever made is considered the ultimate classic by certain people (go Ultima Thulee ). And TWWTG... well, The Mystical Beast can't really touch it, can it?
22.08.2014 - 22:11
V01d

Listened to The Mystical Beast of Rebellion last night. I went out in the dead of night, with ugly overcast skies, and twisted, mangled trees on either side of the road I was traversing. Being a lover of minimalist black metal, this album really appealed to me. After the first track, composed of freezing cold tremelo melodies, the atmosphere took on a nightmarish vibe, which greatly unnerved me as I was hypnotized by the repetitive drumming. This album really took me to a different place, and I greatly enjoyed it, though I can completely understand why this wouldn't be everyone's thing. I think having the right kind of listening atmosphere can (may) be essential to the individual experience someone has with the music in question. This album would have done absolutely nothing for me had I been listening to it on youtube in my brightly lit living room, though one may also argue that the music itself should suffice as to draw you into its own atmosphere, if it's well written enough.

In any case, going to listen to TWWTG for the first time tonight. I am not expecting a reprisal of the style on MBoR, going in with an open mind and no expectations. Can't wait.
02.09.2014 - 18:06
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Reality03 on 02.09.2014 at 17:20

Listened to TWWTG and MORT on a regular basis the last couple of months and they are both fantastic. Which Album should i listen next in their discography?

Depending on how you feel about either album, either the Thematic Emanation Of Archetypal Multiplicity EP (which is basically an EP full of songs like Procession Of Dead Clowns) and the 777/Liber trilogies if you want more like the two albums, or the Memoria Vetusta duology if you want something different (typical, albeit good meloblack style). They're releasing a new album continuing the series, so it might be best to get on that sooner than later.