Metal Storm logo
Dark Prog

Original post

Posted by Dane Train, 14.10.2006 - 03:35
For many years Progressive Metal was ruled by "upbeat" bands. Rush, Queensryche, Dream Theater, Symphony X, Threshold, etc. all had this sort of feel good sound to them. Yes, I know, Dream Theater has Awake and Queensryche has Operation: Mindcrime which are much darker, but as a whole, these and other bands all seemed to have a lighter feel to them

Yet, in recent years, a much darker vein has grown in Prog Metal. Bands like Evergrey, Green Carnation, Opeth, Nevermore, Agalloch, Tool, Deadsoul Tribe, Dornfall, and even Pain Of Salvation (to a degree) are taking Progressive Metal to a much darker place.

This new vein of Progressive Metal is exciting. It is really a throw back to what Prog is supposed to be all about. Being progressive! These bands are trying new things, and for the most part it seems to be working well. Lets hope they continue to progress and not get stuck playing the same basic style over and over *cough*Symphony X*cough*.
08.01.2008 - 12:16
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Guest on 08.01.2008 at 08:52

Checking out some Darkwater and Dornfall (I've heard of these guys before).

Kinda got hooked on Evergrey again The music they make is perfect for reflecting/relaxing, for me.

Oh, and I still stand by me point (albeit messy and unclear, I don't know what the hell I was doing then ) that Nevermore are predominantly Thrash and Power, BUT do deserve a mention for their Progressive elements

So do you like Darkwater?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
08.01.2008 - 15:52
Opium
Account deleted
Written by BloodTears on 08.01.2008 at 12:16

Kinda got hooked on Evergrey again The music they make is perfect for reflecting/relaxing, for me.

Oh, and I still stand by me point (albeit messy and unclear, I don't know what the hell I was doing then ) that Nevermore are predominantly Thrash and Power, BUT do deserve a mention for their Progressive elements

I'm yet to hear it, was busy and couldn't grab all of it in time

I'm bound to grab it in the coming days
08.01.2008 - 21:51
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Guest on 08.01.2008 at 15:52

Written by BloodTears on 08.01.2008 at 12:16

I'm yet to hear it, was busy and couldn't grab all of it in time

I'm bound to grab it in the coming days

Fair enough. Let me know what you think after you grab it.
----

My Instagram
07.03.2008 - 05:36
Evil Chip

Nevermore has nothing powerish in their style. Warrel Dane vocals are much more agressive than power metal vocals. Nevermoe is more like thrash-progressive. Opeth are kings of dark progressive. This is a new interesting subgenre. I think ayreon last album has something of dark progressive aswell.
07.03.2008 - 23:10
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I don't know if I mentioned Deadsoul Tribe here before but well they are one hell of a dark prog band. They are a major force although they are underrated. Very special band.
----

My Instagram
19.08.2008 - 17:51
hallowed.land
Account deleted
This is probably my favorite genre out there right now if I had to choose one. Alot of my favorite bands seem to fall under this catagory. I hope this style can see even more growth in the near future.
11.09.2008 - 20:14
Dark Blood
The Avenger
I'm a huge Evergrey fan, and I'm looking for some bands with similar dark atmosphere and lyrics. I've just discovered Green Carnation, I was satisfied with their songs on Myspace. Can anyone give me some recommendations?
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
11.09.2008 - 22:09
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by Dark Blood on 11.09.2008 at 20:14

I'm a huge Evergrey fan, and I'm looking for some bands with similar dark atmosphere and lyrics. I've just discovered Green Carnation, I was satisfied with their songs on Myspace. Can anyone give me some recommendations?

Evergrey and Green Carnation are both great bands to start with. If you go back about 15 years there is Awake from Dream Theater which is very dark (especially when compared to their previous album). Nevermore is another band I would highly recommend for their new approach to American Thrash Metal mixed with Technical/Progressive writing.
----
(space for rent)
11.09.2008 - 22:52
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Written by Dane Train on 11.09.2008 at 22:09

Evergrey and Green Carnation are both great bands to start with. If you go back about 15 years there is Awake from Dream Theater which is very dark (especially when compared to their previous album). Nevermore is another band I would highly recommend for their new approach to American Thrash Metal mixed with Technical/Progressive writing.

Thanks man but I know those bands. I'm not a Dream Theater fan, but there's one album I really like (Metropolis pt2) and Nevermore.. well I love them.
I was looking for something different maybe.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
11.09.2008 - 23:04
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Dark Blood on 11.09.2008 at 22:52

Thanks man but I know those bands. I'm not a Dream Theater fan, but there's one album I really like (Metropolis pt2) and Nevermore.. well I love them.

Have you tried Deadsoul Tribe?
----

My Instagram
11.09.2008 - 23:52
Anathemani@c

Quote:
Quote:

I think I should agree with Dark_Blood.. I dont like Dream Theater.. Only their train of thought alboum.. I agree with BloodTears cause 3 first Deadsoul Tribe albums are simply great.. I havent yet heard the fifth one... But anyway, A murder of crows is just a MASTERPIECE!
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
12.09.2008 - 03:07
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Written by BloodTears on 11.09.2008 at 23:04

Written by Dark Blood on 11.09.2008 at 22:52

I have actually. I also like them, but I've only heard once or twice their cds. I must buy some time to get into them.
----
12.09.2008 - 11:42
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Quote:
Quote:
Written by Anathemani@c on 11.09.2008 at 23:52

I think I should agree with Dark_Blood.. I dont like Dream Theater.. Only their train of thought alboum.. I agree with BloodTears cause 3 first Deadsoul Tribe albums are simply great.. I havent yet heard the fifth one... But anyway, A murder of crows is just a MASTERPIECE!

You should definately listen to their latest album. It's so good, especially if you loved murder of crows. I don't think Deadsoul Tribe ever released a bad album.
----

My Instagram
12.09.2008 - 11:45
Anathemani@c

Quote:
Quote:

You should definately listen to their latest album. It's so good, especially if you loved murder of crows. I don't think Deadsoul Tribe ever released a bad album.

I will... The only alboum I didnt like that much was The dead world.. I really love Murder of crows and january tree
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
13.09.2008 - 05:46
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Written by Evil Chip on 07.03.2008 at 05:36

Nevermore has nothing powerish in their style. Warrel Dane vocals are much more agressive than power metal vocals. Nevermoe is more like thrash-progressive. Opeth are kings of dark progressive. This is a new interesting subgenre. I think ayreon last album has something of dark progressive aswell.

I have always seen Opeth as a Death Metal band with Progressive elements. Pain of Salvation is in my opnion one of the most obscure bands in the prog scene now days, perhaps not the music but just the lyric content is really dark....

Also there is a really good Progressive Thrash/Power band called Outworld, worth checking it out
----
14.09.2008 - 08:45
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Must agree with 4look4rd about Outworld, but I wounldn't include thrash in their style. Still waiting for the new album btw.
There's also a great band that released an album recently.. and a great one if you ask me. Communic is the band. Very powerfull, heavy, and catchy at the same time. The vocals reminds me Warrel Dane from Nevermore. 5 stars band.. I love them
----
14.09.2008 - 10:52
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Dark Blood on 14.09.2008 at 08:45

Must agree with 4look4rd about Outworld, but I wounldn't include thrash in their style. Still waiting for the new album btw.
There's also a great band that released an album recently.. and a great one if you ask me. Communic is the band. Very powerfull, heavy, and catchy at the same time. The vocals reminds me Warrel Dane from Nevermore. 5 stars band.. I love them

Yes Communic are a great band, there's also Mindflow, which are very similar to them. Communic seems to be very connected to Nevermore and both seem to drink a lot from Dream Theater music, and since you don't like them maybe you won't like those bands But they are not copy cats, we just see their influences.
----

My Instagram
14.09.2008 - 12:24
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Written by BloodTears on 14.09.2008 at 10:52

Written by Dark Blood on 14.09.2008 at 08:45

Yes Communic are a great band, there's also Mindflow, which are very similar to them. Communic seems to be very connected to Nevermore and both seem to drink a lot from Dream Theater music, and since you don't like them maybe you won't like those bands But they are not copy cats, we just see their influences.

I know what you mean. It's not that I don't like DT, I do, but my impression is that they've created their own style, but they didn't evolved it, seems they are stuck with it. Besides they don't appeal to me like some other bands like Ayreon, for example. Their music is more versatile and you can see in it that he tries to get many other styles than just progressive. Anyway, this is my impression of them, but I totally respect and value them, specially Petrucci and Portnoy.
I went to Mindflow's Myspace, they seem nice.. I might check some albums. thx
----
06.11.2012 - 20:08
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Seen many good bands mentioned above, but as the title says we're talking about "Dark Prog" for which the most significant band is Mundanus Imperium for me. Here, check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OjQpNk5nnI

Other bands worth to mention is Lengsel (black metal-ish, though their first album is definitely an ear candy), Winds and Leprous apart from the obvious Opeth.
----
06.11.2012 - 20:17
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I wouldn't consider Leprous dark prog, they draw much inspiration from prog rock even though they add extreme metal elements.
----

My Instagram
09.11.2012 - 18:24
Hellish Star

Darkology
Outworld
Beyond Twijlight
The Nightmare Stage...
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
15.11.2012 - 02:55
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
I've never heard of "dark prog", sorry.
----
rekt
15.11.2012 - 09:56
R'Vannith
ghedengi
"Dark" just seems like an adjective to describe the mood rather than having anything to say for the style that each of these bands have. I mean when you consider bands like Outworld and Opeth are tagged under this same descriptor it's obviously very loose, those two bands are stylistically miles apart.
15.11.2012 - 13:50
Fredd
Account deleted
I like this thread. Useful.
15.11.2012 - 14:30
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Dark Suns, everything before their latest album.
17.11.2012 - 10:23
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by R'Vannith on 15.11.2012 at 09:56

"Dark" just seems like an adjective to describe the mood rather than having anything to say for the style that each of these bands have. I mean when you consider bands like Outworld and Opeth are tagged under this same descriptor it's obviously very loose, those two bands are stylistically miles apart.

Seems to me it's a made up name on the fly to sub catagorize metal even more....like we don't have enough sub genres already
----
rekt
17.11.2012 - 10:25
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Unhealer on 15.11.2012 at 14:30

Dark Suns, everything before their latest album.

Again, I don't agree with this thread at all but if you are asking me to name a prog metal act that plays less than joyful music I'd say Blindead (they are more post/sludge than prog however)
----
rekt
17.11.2012 - 17:32
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by tea[m]ster on 17.11.2012 at 10:25

Again, I don't agree with this thread at all but if you are asking me to name a prog metal act that plays less than joyful music I'd say Blindead (they are more post/sludge than prog however)

I don't know why you quoted me on that, but I don't agree this is worth a sub-genre either. But if someone asks for prog bands with a dark feel instead of mostly up-beat songs it's totally valid.
18.11.2012 - 08:07
R'Vannith
ghedengi
When I read the thread title I read it as "Dark" Prog, as opposed to "Dark Prog" if you know what I mean. As I said the former seems just descriptive of mood/feel. It does seem to needlessly create another sub category but it is helpful if you looking for prog that fits that mood description. Bands like Nevermore, Communic, Evergrey and Opeth fit it well I think. Seems to be exclusively a metal thing too, can't think of anything I would say fits the "dark" description from prog rock.
19.11.2012 - 20:46
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Written by R'Vannith on 18.11.2012 at 08:07

When I read the thread title I read it as "Dark" Prog, as opposed to "Dark Prog" if you know what I mean. As I said the former seems just descriptive of mood/feel. It does seem to needlessly create another sub category but it is helpful if you looking for prog that fits that mood description. Bands like Nevermore, Communic, Evergrey and Opeth fit it well I think. Seems to be exclusively a metal thing too, can't think of anything I would say fits the "dark" description from prog rock.

^This
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).