Metal Storm logo
Albums you love that everyone else hates & vice versa.

Original post

Posted by M C Vice, 10.12.2011 - 10:05
What are the albums that seemingly everyone hates but you think are great? Or so-called masterpieces that you find mediocre at best? Do you love Risk or Lulu? Do you thimk Blackwater Park or Painkiller are steaming piles of horse crap?
For me, Master Of Puppets was just boring. Take Welcome Home, Battery and The Thing That Should Not Be off it and I'd give it a 5.
I do, however, love Gallhammer's Ill Innocence (as well as The End), Judas Priest's Turbo and Black Sabbath's Seventh Star.
How about you? Where does your opinion differ to the masses. Go on, be honest. Its the internet, no one will ever know.
08.09.2012 - 23:58
Angelic Storm
Melodious
No Prayer For The Dying by Iron Maiden, and Load by Metallica are two that instantly spring to mind as two maligned albums that I love! Also Demolition by Judas Priest, and Endorama by Kreator. I also find the latest Morbid Angel album to be decent, which is certainly not in line with common opinion on the album.

I also prefer both South Of Heaven and Hell Awaits (and probably Show No Mercy as well) over Reign In Blood.

As for albums that get a lot of praise that I myself think are at least overrated... well Phantom Antichrist by Kreator is a good example of that. I do like it, but I think the praise it has gotten is disproportionate... it's no Coma Of Souls or Pleasure To Kill, that's for sure! I also find Sodom's Agent Orange to be a bit overrated. I like it, but I find both it's predecessor and it's successor to be better overall albums that don't get as much praise. Especially Better Off Dead.
09.09.2012 - 01:21
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Despised Icons who discography. Incredibly consistent band, always good fun albums. They have put on some of the most energetic shows that I have seen, have had some good times at their shows. Guess that's one of the bands that I can be embarrassed about.
09.09.2012 - 06:16
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Also, I hate Djent, god that guitar tone makes me want to fork out my eyeballs.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
18.09.2012 - 16:42
Sangre Sani
I like Lulu, everyone hates it.
I don't like anything from Dream Theater, but almost everyone loves 'em.
01.10.2012 - 02:57
monoblogist
I thoroughly enjoy both Bruce Dickinson's "Skunkworks" and Sodom's "til Death Do Us Unite" (though the latter is not that poorly spoken of. maybe the former isn't either?)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skunkworks_(album)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%27Til_Death_Do_Us_Unite
----
http://monoblogist.blogspot.com/
01.10.2012 - 03:00
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 09.09.2012 at 01:21

Despised Icons who discography. Incredibly consistent band, always good fun albums. They have put on some of the most energetic shows that I have seen, have had some good times at their shows. Guess that's one of the bands that I can be embarrassed about.

The fuck would you be embarrassed about DI? O.o

They were one of the best bands out there during their time.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
01.10.2012 - 03:04
monoblogist
Almost forgot one of my favorite albums ever! Kreator's "Renewal" (and "Cause for Conflict" for that matter!) The first 5 songs flow together seamlessly, and are, all bye themselves, great album worthy!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renewal_(album)
----
http://monoblogist.blogspot.com/
01.10.2012 - 03:09
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Written by Boxcar Willy on 01.10.2012 at 03:00

In their genre, fuck yes they are.

I can't express how much shit I get for being a fan of theirs. I happen to enjoy Alex.
01.10.2012 - 03:21
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 01.10.2012 at 03:09

I can't express how much shit I get for being a fan of theirs. I happen to enjoy Alex.

They are in my top 3 favourite bands, There's nothing wrong with them at all, and I never see anyone bashing them, which is why I found your comment odd.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
01.10.2012 - 04:33
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Written by Boxcar Willy on 01.10.2012 at 03:21

Written by Guest on 01.10.2012 at 03:09

They are in my top 3 favourite bands, There's nothing wrong with them at all, and I never see anyone bashing them, which is why I found your comment odd.

Let's just say there's lots of ignorant metal heads in the US. They are probably one of my favorite bands to see live. I've broken my nose twice are two different shows of theirs. Worth every bit of it.
01.10.2012 - 15:16
BlueMobius
Account deleted
It seems a lot of people like Sepultura's "Chaos A.D." but I found it rather average, especially compared to "Arise." Something about "Chaos A.D." sounds like the band couldn't quite decide if they wanted to play thrash or groove metal and you get all these songs that have elements of both but the elements don't quite meld together into a cohesive sound.
01.10.2012 - 18:01
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Finally i can post something in here again

Therion - Les Fleurs Du Mal

----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

08.10.2012 - 01:12
Angry Chair
Machine head - The Burning red

Fuck knows why.
----
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot
08.10.2012 - 02:31
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I Like - Everyone Hates:

I actually think Virtual XI is not as bad as everyone else thinks. Sure "Angel and the Gambler" and "Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger" are not all that great, but i enjoy every other song on the album.

I Don't Like - Everyone Loves:

I personally don't like Guns N' Roses "Appetite for Destruction", which is ranked #50 on the Top 200 albums list here on Metal Storm. I can't stand Axl Rose's raunchy vocals and lyrics, and the music doesn't help it much. I think it's pretty overrated overall.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
08.10.2012 - 21:34
Dinruth
I like almost anything that Varg has released and people here hate it

I'm not a big fan of Dream Theatre .. but maybe just because I have not dedicated enough time to their music
20.10.2012 - 00:22
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Angelic Storm on 08.09.2012 at 23:58

No Prayer For The Dying by Iron Maiden, and Load by Metallica are two that instantly spring to mind as two maligned albums that I love! Also Demolition by Judas Priest, and Endorama by Kreator.

I think I've already mentioned those, so I'm with you. No Prayer, Load and Endorama is some of the most underestimated albums ever. Love them all! Although I have to admit that the first two was some of the first metal albums I listened to at a very young age, so that probably have something to do with it. But like it matters? And also Demolition, which I've always liked. There's some kick ass songs there. Much much much better than Jugulator.
----
20.10.2012 - 00:26
LordFezzington
Lost To Apathy
Written by Warman on 20.10.2012 at 00:22

No Prayer For The Dying by Iron Maiden, and Load by Metallica are two that instantly spring to mind as two maligned albums that I love! Also Demolition by Judas Priest, and Endorama by Kreator.

I think I've already mentioned those, so I'm with you. No Prayer, Load and Endorama is some of the most underestimated albums ever. Love them all! Although I have to admit that the first two was some of the first metal albums I listened to at a very young age, so that probably have something to do with it. But like it matters? And also Demolition, which I've always liked. There's some kick ass songs there. Much much much better than Jugulator.

Pretty much going to agree with the entirety of these two posts. Though there is definitely some rough amongst the smooth with all the albums concerned!
----
"Pay no heed to anyone and do what seems right to yourself." - Franz Kafka, The Trial
2022 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=7001
2021 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=6742
20.10.2012 - 00:41
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Dislike, Wintersun,s debut, found it boring and overdone.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
20.10.2012 - 02:30
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Written by Boxcar Willy on 20.10.2012 at 00:41

Hey, I'm with you man . Nothing interesting about that album to me besides the usual diddley doo guitar work
----
22.10.2012 - 08:12
ToMegaTherion
Written by Nosurper on 20.10.2012 at 02:30

Written by Boxcar Willy on 20.10.2012 at 00:41

Hey, I'm with you man . Nothing interesting about that album to me besides the usual diddley doo guitar work

Does it count as disliking an album that everyone loves if i agree? There was one ok song on the album from memory... but otherwise it was just very... boring

shit fell asleep just thinking about it

I dont mind - while others despise
Metallica -Lulu
I actually don't mind this album... its not great by any means, but its not the worst album ever... and its certainly better than St. Anger.
23.10.2012 - 17:14
Fredd
Account deleted
I dislike Celtic Frost and Tool. They're just refusing to grow on my ears.
23.10.2012 - 17:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 23.10.2012 at 17:14

I totally agree with you on Celtic Frost but disagree with you on Tool
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.10.2012 - 17:29
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.10.2012 at 17:25

My beef with them is that people call both "avantgarde" and I really really don't see why or how. You know how much I like avantgarde-y stuff
23.10.2012 - 17:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 23.10.2012 at 17:29

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.10.2012 at 17:25

My beef with them is that people call both "avantgarde" and I really really don't see why or how. You know how much I like avantgarde-y stuff

Only INto The Pandemonium can more less be viewed as avantgarde, but then you have to place it in the period it was released.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.10.2012 - 20:39
VPeter
Loves: Paradise Lost's Believe in Nothing. Even the band disowns it, considering it the deformed half brother of their discography. I find it pretty enjoyable, their best of the electronic era. Dark Tranquillity's Haven is often overlooked together with The Mind's I but Haven is my favourite Dark Tranquillity album, it also isn't as tiring to listen to like some of their later albums and has this really futuristic atmosphere. I also enjoy The Mind's I. I wish the band returned back to their experimental era.

Hates: A lot of metalheads enjoy Tiamat's older albums The Astral Sleep and Clouds. But I find them really average and am really glad that they changed their sound all of their later albums are far superior.
23.10.2012 - 20:50
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Love Indie Rock, most here don't.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
24.10.2012 - 05:03
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
I'm not one to criticize anyone's musical tastes. Listen to whatever the heck you want. I'll answer the question nonetheless.

Doesn't melt my butter, no matter how many tries:
- Wintersun
- Pantera
- Baroness
- Meshuggah
- Sylosis

There, I covered a lot of genres. I could name about 25 more too.
----
rekt
04.11.2012 - 08:05
PowerThrash
What are the albums that seemingly everyone hates but you think are great? Wintersun - Wintersun

Or so-called masterpieces that you find mediocre at best? Wintersun - Wintersun

07.11.2012 - 05:05
FourMechALEX
Account deleted

No Prayer For The Dying by Iron Maiden, and Load by Metallica are two that instantly spring to mind as two maligned albums that I love!
I also prefer both South Of Heaven and Hell Awaits (and probably Show No Mercy as well) over Reign In Blood.

I agree entirely! I love No Prayer For the Dying, I didn't even know it had a bad rep, and Load I actually really like... I don't know why because I typically am one of those only likes early Metallica types, but it's just a good album. On the same note I am not excited by the black album. Enter Sandman is ok I guess, it's catchy-ish, but that whole album just bores me. And I definitely prefer Show No Mercy to Reign In Blood. Don't get me wrong I do think Reign In Blood is a great album but I like Show No Mercy a lot better, probably due to my preference for earlier style thrash in general. Not that Reign In Blood was even that much later, but then again I do still like it.

I also like Risk. Well okay I like almost all Megadeth but that's irrelevant. I don't think Risk fits with Megadeth or what they had done previously or did afterwards, but I think that it came out well and I appreciate the "risk" they took. I don't listen to it very much at all but I should because there are some quite good songs on it, like Wanderlust and Ecstasy for example, they just have a cool feeling to them. On the flip side, Crush 'Em is terrible and should NOT have happened; it's not just that it's a dance song but that it is a dull unexciting auditory chaotic and not in the good thrash way dance song. Why Megadeth why?!
07.11.2012 - 05:11
FourMechALEX
Account deleted
Written by CobiWan1993 on 08.10.2012 at 02:31

I personally don't like Guns N' Roses "Appetite for Destruction", which is ranked #50 on the Top 200 albums list here on Metal Storm. I can't stand Axl Rose's raunchy vocals and lyrics, and the music doesn't help it much. I think it's pretty overrated overall.

Neither do I, same reasoning, and it just doesn't appeal to me. Actually I don't like Guns 'N' Roses in general, but I can't cite a real reason why, I just don't. I actually have some songs by them on my iPod and I remember that they're there occasionally and wonder why I never listen to them and so I listen and the songs aren't bad but they don't excite me and I guess that's why. They actually are quite good, and many of my friends are pretty obsessed, but I can't get into it.