Metal Storm logo
Albums you love that everyone else hates & vice versa.

Original post

Posted by M C Vice, 10.12.2011 - 10:05
What are the albums that seemingly everyone hates but you think are great? Or so-called masterpieces that you find mediocre at best? Do you love Risk or Lulu? Do you thimk Blackwater Park or Painkiller are steaming piles of horse crap?
For me, Master Of Puppets was just boring. Take Welcome Home, Battery and The Thing That Should Not Be off it and I'd give it a 5.
I do, however, love Gallhammer's Ill Innocence (as well as The End), Judas Priest's Turbo and Black Sabbath's Seventh Star.
How about you? Where does your opinion differ to the masses. Go on, be honest. Its the internet, no one will ever know.
05.03.2013 - 16:59
R Lewis
Well, well... It's not really hated, but, according to the rating, seems to be their worst album. I'm speaking about Rhapsody Of Fire's Triumph Or Agony. I found it damn powerful and varied, way superior to wide-acclaimed albums as Symphony Of Enchanted Lands Pt. II.
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
06.03.2013 - 04:28
Guib
Thrash Talker
So for me it would be... Modern Thrash in general... I love it, people hate it.
Especially old farts like Marcel

Witheria - Fire And Pain

Hexen - Indefinite Archetype

Skeletonwitch - Submit To The Suffering

Vektor - Forests Of Legend

Revocation - Conjuring The Cataclysm

What's the hate all about eh ? lol I mean ain't that fucking good !!!
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
06.03.2013 - 06:47
Deithial
I'm a big King Diamond fan, but I can't stand the Abigail album. It seems that one is always rated one of his highest. Was always a bigger fan of Conspiracy or Voodoo.
06.03.2013 - 07:06
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Guib on 06.03.2013 at 04:28

Well, ain't we through with Revocation, Vektor or Skeletonwitch?!

So, out of these, i think "Witheria" sounds really good.
06.03.2013 - 13:02
3rdWorld
China was a neat
St.Anger From St.Anger.
06.03.2013 - 15:05
Sunioj
I love Organic Hallucinoses from Decapitated. I've been into the band since the beginning, but they didn't stand out to me as much until that album came out. Something about the cold, sterile, yet punishing atmosphere of that album just makes it more exciting for me, the production is fantastic and the vocals are killer. This is just me, but I don't think Nihility or the Negation is really that good and to be honest is rather generic, though Winds of Creation is a beast of its own imo. So yeah, OH is my favorite decapitated album.
06.03.2013 - 16:28
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff

One thing is "hate" and a completely different thing is "not finding it special at all". The again, I suppose you were joking anyways.
I don't really put Skeletonwitch in the same pot with the revivalist thrash movement tbh...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
06.03.2013 - 16:56
Jtbmetal123
Written by Boxcar Willy on 28.02.2013 at 02:26

Written by Jtbmetal123 on 25.02.2013 at 20:05

Everybody hates Six Feet Under's Bringer Of Blood. I love it.

Well everybody hates SFU in general

Exactly my point, I like them so yeah.
07.03.2013 - 01:01
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by X-Ray Rod on 06.03.2013 at 16:28

One thing is "hate" and a completely different thing is "not finding it special at all". The again, I suppose you were joking anyways.
I don't really put Skeletonwitch in the same pot with the revivalist thrash movement tbh...

Why not LOL ? It is Thrash Revivalism... its just because you like it, you don't wanna put it with them lol and
I'm only HALF-joking lol
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
07.03.2013 - 01:12
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guib on 07.03.2013 at 01:01
It is Thrash Revivalism... its just because you like it, you don't wanna put it with them lol and

Uuuuuh, no... I just didn't feel it was 100% thrash. That is all. I'm not that shallow, thank you very much.
----
Rod, let me love you.
07.03.2013 - 01:14
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by X-Ray Rod on 07.03.2013 at 01:12

Written by Guib on 07.03.2013 at 01:01
It is Thrash Revivalism... its just because you like it, you don't wanna put it with them lol and

Uuuuuh, no... I just didn't feel it was 100% thrash. That is all. I'm not that shallow, thank you very much.

Well alot of thrash is not 100% thrash... but to me Skeletonwitch is still part of the Modern Thrash movement In fact its one of the bands on top of it.
That's usually one of the name people think of first when talking about modern thrash. Probably because they are quite unique.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
07.03.2013 - 01:17
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guib on 07.03.2013 at 01:14
Well alot of thrash is not 100% thrash... but to me Skeletonwitch is still part of the Modern Thrash movement In fact its one of the bands on top of it. That's usually one of the name people think of first when talking about modern thrash. Probably because they are quite unique.

I never thought of them as revivalist somply because they sound (at least to me) a bit different from the rest of the bands that are usually called revivalist. One thing is "modern thrash movement" (whatever that means) and another is being revivalist.
----
Rod, let me love you.
07.03.2013 - 01:20
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by X-Ray Rod on 07.03.2013 at 01:17

Written by Guib on 07.03.2013 at 01:14
Well alot of thrash is not 100% thrash... but to me Skeletonwitch is still part of the Modern Thrash movement In fact its one of the bands on top of it. That's usually one of the name people think of first when talking about modern thrash. Probably because they are quite unique.

I never thought of them as revivalist somply because they sound (at least to me) a bit different from the rest of the bands that are usually called revivalist. One thing is "modern thrash movement" (whatever that means) and another is being revivalist.

Modern thrash to me (or revivalists) whatever since usually its pretty much the same are bands who STARTED playing thrash (can be mixed aswell) in the 00's (2000 to now) lol. That is modern thrash for me. You can even count some bands that started in the end of the 90's (98 - 99). With Skeletonwitch, it started in 2004 and they're playing some sort of Blackened Thrash... which is nothing new if you think about it. Absu ? Aura Noir ? Nocturnal Breed (sure it doesn't sound the same but its still Blackened thrash)
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
07.03.2013 - 01:36
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guib on 07.03.2013 at 01:20
Modern thrash to me (or revivalists) whatever since usually its pretty much the same are bands who STARTED playing thrash (can be mixed aswell) in the 00's (2000 to now) lol.

Hmmm the problem with this is that it means that any single thrash that has been formed recently is revivalist by default which is a bit weird since to me the term "revivalist" only implies that a band is trying to "revive" a sound from past years. So for me: "modern thrash" and "revivalist thrash" ain't the same thing... In fact, they can even be the exact opposite in the case of a modern band trying to make a different kind of thrash.
----
Rod, let me love you.
07.03.2013 - 01:40
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by X-Ray Rod on 07.03.2013 at 01:36

Written by Guib on 07.03.2013 at 01:20
Modern thrash to me (or revivalists) whatever since usually its pretty much the same are bands who STARTED playing thrash (can be mixed aswell) in the 00's (2000 to now) lol.

Hmmm the problem with this is that it means that any single thrash that has been formed recently is revivalist by default which is a bit weird since to me the term "revivalist" only implies that a band is trying to "revive" a sound from past years. So for me: "modern thrash" and "revivalist thrash" ain't the same thing... In fact, they can even be the exact opposite in the case of a modern band trying to make a different kind of thrash.

Well no a band playing thrash nowadays is reviving a sound by definition... just because its playing thrash.. no matter the other type its adding have it be Death, Black, Melodic, Prog, Technical (whatever) and anyways all those sound were already added to thrash in the 80's So yeah to me any band playing thrash nowadays is reviving a sound wether it has a different vibe to it or not. Doesn't mean its not good and not adding anything to the sound though. Yeah skeletonwitch has a unique sound but its still playing some old thrash... just like Witheria or Hexen.. or Vektor.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
07.03.2013 - 01:45
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guib on 07.03.2013 at 01:40
Well no, a band playing thrash nowadays is reviving a sound by definition... just because its playing thrash.

This reasoning is quite... weird.
Fuck thrash... Every single black metal band nowdays is revivalist, same as doom, sludge, prog, power, et-fucking-cetera. In other words, that definition of revivalist is completely devoid of any meaning whatsoever.
----
Rod, let me love you.
07.03.2013 - 01:47
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by X-Ray Rod on 07.03.2013 at 01:45

Written by Guib on 07.03.2013 at 01:40
Well no, a band playing thrash nowadays is reviving a sound by definition... just because its playing thrash.

This reasoning is quite... weird.
Fuck thrash... Every single black metal band nowdays is revivalist, same as doom, sludge, prog, power, et-fucking-cetera. In other words, that definition of revivalist is completely devoid of any meaning whatsoever.

You're pretty much right, if you're starting a sound that has been played in the past, you're pretty much a revivalist yes... and it is exactly why I don't comprehend why people are so pissed because thrash does it. So many genre does it in metal. But yeah in fact playing black nowadays... is reviving an old sound, wether or not people are acknowledging (a revivalist) movement, or not. I never said the reasoning was awesome, but yeah it does fit to almost any genre since there's not so much new stuff in metal.. of course theres all the electronic stuff and some sub-genres that are pretty new and original.. but definitely not Doom, Prog, Black, Thrash, Death...

in fact you pointed out exactly why my reasoning works so well... and why I love modern thrash just as much as the old one
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
07.03.2013 - 13:05
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Cited above: example of morphing and twisting of a commonly accepted meaning of a term or phrase just to make it fit a personal definition. Your examples are also flawed as the death, black, progressive and even doom genres all have examples of variations that are unique to the modern era. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the term "revivalist thrash" was coined because no one could come up with anything new or original to do with the genre. "Revivalist thrash" is a neologism that has a shared, specific meaning amongst metallers, saying things like "playing black metal these days is reviving an old sound" shows how you clearly misunderstand this concept.
07.03.2013 - 13:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 07.03.2013 at 13:05

Cited above: example of morphing and twisting of a commonly accepted meaning of a term or phrase just to make it fit a personal definition.

Remember he also did that with the word 'scene'

As to what constitutes a 'scene' I urge Guib to read http://metalstorm.net/pub/review.php?review_id=11614
Even though the dissertation has 'Extreme Metal' in the subtitle it can also be applied to any other sort of music.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.03.2013 - 13:15
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.03.2013 at 13:12

Remember he also did that with the word 'scene'

I remember it well
07.03.2013 - 13:47
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I'm afraid it's easier to not read and stay the way you are...
----
Rod, let me love you.
09.03.2013 - 23:51
skrog1
Transformers: The Movie - Soundtrack

Love it!!!
----
LIKE THE OFFICIAL SKROG FACEBOOK PAGE TODAY!!!!

http://facebook.com/Skrogband
10.03.2013 - 01:00
Guib
Thrash Talker
Ok about the scene thing could you not bring that back all the time... its been awhile now and nobody cares anyways. I just used the wrong word back then, I didn't really care for ''fan base'' scene I was talking in general using the wrong word thats all, its completely different in this present case.

And I still stand by what I said. Revivalist is everywhere in metal wether or not you use it as an ''official'' term whatever that is. Its there for Black, Death or any main subgenre. Its not because thrash decided to use it that its no good for other genres. They're doing the exact same thing lol. They are reproducing an old sound with little change, theres some changes here and there but very few, just like thrash. So if it is safe to call thrash nowadays ''Revivalist'' then I don't see why it is not concerning other genres. I stand by what I said. And yes I still think Skeletonwitch is part of that Thrash reviving thing, I won't change my mind on this.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
11.03.2013 - 15:32
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guib on 10.03.2013 at 01:00
They are reproducing an old sound with little change, theres some changes here and there but very few, just like thrash.

Certainly not in the same degree as thrash. That's for sure.
----
Rod, let me love you.
14.03.2013 - 01:39
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.03.2013 at 15:32

Written by Guib on 10.03.2013 at 01:00
They are reproducing an old sound with little change, theres some changes here and there but very few, just like thrash.

Certainly not in the same degree as thrash. That's for sure.

? Well the degree matters little to me.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
14.03.2013 - 01:43
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
It looks like it matter just as much as the true meaning of a word and concept. Since you seem to wipe your butt with it.
----
Rod, let me love you.
14.07.2013 - 17:18
Grimbeard
I would like to throw Satyricon's Rebel Extravaganza album out there. Not many people are into that album but it's one of my all time favorites. I like my music dirty and that album is the dirtiest of their entire discog.
14.07.2013 - 17:27
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Fen - Dustwalker ... lol, Mr Doctor and JOOE
----
rekt
14.07.2013 - 17:38
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
You shouldn't be the one posting that... I'd bet good money that those who love the latest Fen are waaaaaay more than those who feel indiferent by it (because that's how I feel, I don't hate it... low 7 stuff).

Edt: Bah, I hate when I'm doing the page break when I'm posting to the user above.
----
Rod, let me love you.
14.07.2013 - 17:45
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by X-Ray Rod on 14.07.2013 at 17:38

You shouldn't be the one posting that... I'd bet good money that those who love the latest Fen are waaaaaay more than those who feel indiferent by it (because that's how I feel, I don't hate it... low 7 stuff).

I know you don't HATE it, I was just giving you a little shot
----
rekt