Metal Storm logo
Albums you love that everyone else hates & vice versa.

Original post

Posted by M C Vice, 10.12.2011 - 10:05
What are the albums that seemingly everyone hates but you think are great? Or so-called masterpieces that you find mediocre at best? Do you love Risk or Lulu? Do you thimk Blackwater Park or Painkiller are steaming piles of horse crap?
For me, Master Of Puppets was just boring. Take Welcome Home, Battery and The Thing That Should Not Be off it and I'd give it a 5.
I do, however, love Gallhammer's Ill Innocence (as well as The End), Judas Priest's Turbo and Black Sabbath's Seventh Star.
How about you? Where does your opinion differ to the masses. Go on, be honest. Its the internet, no one will ever know.
14.07.2013 - 18:34
MetalSpider
Britney Spears
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
07.03.2016 - 23:14
Enteroctopus
Carcass - Swansong: Kind of a thrashy, melodic direction for the band, but I like it!! My friend gave it to me because he thought it was garbage, so I figured, "What the heck? Free CD!"
08.03.2016 - 04:08
Lord_Regnier
To add to the discussion about "revivalist": the difference in the case of Thrash is that the genre was pretty much dead in the 90's. Black Metal and Death Metal, on the other hand, have been continually present on the scene since they started. Unlike Thrash, they didn't went through some "Golden Age" and almost disappeared a few years later.
Just try to find any good Thrash in the 90's. You will either find stuff that strays away from Thrash quite a bit or albums that just flat out suck.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
08.03.2016 - 15:59
@gent_-_orange
Written by Enteroctopus on 07.03.2016 at 23:14

Carcass - Swansong: Kind of a thrashy, melodic direction for the band, but I like it!! My friend gave it to me because he thought it was garbage, so I figured, "What the heck? Free CD!"

On the flip-side to that I would say Heartwork is completely mediocre, never really got the love for that record.
08.03.2016 - 19:49
Enteroctopus
Written by Lord_Regnier on 08.03.2016 at 04:08

Just try to find any good Thrash in the 90's.

Testament was pretty solid in the 90's, especially Low. Slayer had Seasons which is pretty close to a thrash classic.

I also liked Megadeth's Youthanasia quite a bit. Yes, it's a bit more of a rocking album, you might even say it leans in an arena rock vs thrash direction, but it has solid songwriting. "Family Tree" is one of my favorites.

And how can we forget Pantera? They pretty much dominated the mid-late 1990's. Pure, classic thrash? No, but who can argue with Great Southern Trendkill?! Smack in the middle of the "metal is dead" era, drunk-ass Phil managed to sober up long enough to put that to shame!

Written by @gent_-_orange on 08.03.2016 at 15:59

On the flip-side to that I would say Heartwork is completely mediocre, never really got the love for that record.

Couldn't agree more! Tracks 6 and 8 do have some nice guitar duels, though. I'm always up for a lead duel.
08.03.2016 - 22:39
Lord_Regnier
Written by Enteroctopus on 08.03.2016 at 19:49

Written by Lord_Regnier on 08.03.2016 at 04:08

Just try to find any good Thrash in the 90's.

Testament was pretty solid in the 90's, especially Low. Slayer had Seasons which is pretty close to a thrash classic.

I also liked Megadeth's Youthanasia quite a bit. Yes, it's a bit more of a rocking album, you might even say it leans in an arena rock vs thrash direction, but it has solid songwriting. "Family Tree" is one of my favorites.

And how can we forget Pantera? They pretty much dominated the mid-late 1990's. Pure, classic thrash? No, but who can argue with Great Southern Trendkill?! Smack in the middle of the "metal is dead" era, drunk-ass Phil managed to sober up long enough to put that to shame!

Never liked Testament one bit and "Low" I find boring as hell.
"Seasons In The Abyss" is a very good album but it's from 1990. I meant after 1990 when I referred to the 90's (I know it's a bit weird).
Megadeth and Pantera I never liked either. Apart from Slayer, I don't like American Thrash.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
09.03.2016 - 13:22
Jtbmetal123
A lot of people hate some stuff I listen to but I like all music. Including pop and some hip hop stuff. Its whatever.
04.07.2016 - 07:42
Sang Dalang Abu
Lurker of Chalice - Lurker of Chalice

I don't know why bunch of black metallers I've ever met really hate this album. They prefer Dark Funeral. They were yelling "where is the blast beat and shrieking sh*t vocal?"
17.07.2016 - 13:07
m.Kekchoz
Cryptopsy - The Unspoken King

So much hate about this one, but I think it is one of the most inventive technical death(core ?) album !
02.08.2016 - 06:16
no one
Account deleted
Written by Sang Dalang Abu on 04.07.2016 at 07:42

Idk why ppl i've ever met (who also loves bm) hate this album. They exlpained it this album too bad for bm.

They prefer Dark Funeral albums LOL .

Lucky for you, if you merely just mention the name Lurker of Challice on MS, someone will pull down your pants and lick your asshole.
02.08.2016 - 07:14
Mattybu
Written by Guest on 02.08.2016 at 06:16

Idk why ppl i've ever met (who also loves bm) hate this album. They exlpained it this album too bad for bm.

Lucky for you if you even just mention the name Lurker of Challice on MS someone will pull down your pants and lick your asshole.

lmao. QFT
02.08.2016 - 13:53
Overrwatcher
Bring Me The Horizon's There Is A Hell, Believe Me I've seen It. There Is A Heaven, Let's Keep It A Secret. is right now the 52nd lowest rated album on the entire website, out of 8011 albums having 20+ votes. Yes, it is lower rated than Super Collider, Stand Up And Scream, Roorback/Against, Korn II and III, Q2K, and many other famously awful albums. It is worse than Reload, the Graveyard Classics series, you name it, but why? Is it because of "I see BMTH, I vote 1"? All of those words are different links by the way.

It's a massive maturation for a previously edgy and melodramatic band easily compared to the likes of Attack Attack! and Asking Alexandria. People talk about "I want raw, genuine emotion." "I like albums written during legitimately troubled times." "I want good post-hardcore influences, not Sleeping With Sirens." "I want metalcore with atmosphere." Okay, maybe not the last one, pretty much nobody wants metalcore. But anyway, they say these things, and then 1 spam this album without even giving it a real listen. This is actually a pretty fucking good album, and one of my favorites of all time. Sure, Sempiternal may be more consistent and innovative, but There Is A Hell is a record that just oozes genuine anguish in every direction. The entire world hated Oli, even close friends/family and himself, and it really showed when making this album. When Suicide Season was being recorded, his life was trouble-free, so his music failed to deliver in the emotional aspect he kept trying to reach for. This is where it actually lands. "Crucify Me" is agreed to be the best song the band has ever put out, and there are a ton of other exceptional songs on here as well. It's a massive critical turning point of the band from the laughingstock of the alternative scene to a genuinely good act that eventually sold out horribly.

But don't worry it's literally worse than the worst Asking Alexandria album lel.

Written by m.Kekchoz on 17.07.2016 at 13:07

So much hate about this one, but I think it is one of the most inventive technical death(core ?) album !

Agreed. I can see the hate for it, and it is justified in some areas that aren't just "deathcore suxxxxxxxxx", but I find the album to be more hit than miss. People forget that there are a few songs that are just like the Cryptopsy we knew and loved, yet with enough of a twist to bring life to a band that failed to do anything relevant since Whisper Supremacy. And of course Flo's drumming is phenomenal as usual. While the clean vocals were bad, in a few situations they actually fit quite well. If you're expecting an inhumanly brutal assault like None So Vile then of course you won't like the cleans. It is the best Cryptopsy album? Hell no. Is it anything under a 5/10? Also hell no.
----
Overr's List Of Worthwhile Deathcore Albums

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 12.06.2016 at 19:43

Overwatcher, MS Xena, crumbled him in no time. MS needs you to kill the boredom in here.
02.08.2016 - 17:05
Sang Dalang Abu
Written by Guest on 02.08.2016 at 06:16

Lucky for you, if you merely just mention the name Lurker of Challice on MS, someone will pull down your pants and lick your asshole.

you?
02.08.2016 - 17:27
Mikolaj
Account deleted
Quote:

Lmfao

But seriously, I've never really seen a black metal fan who straight disllikes LoC. Altough a lot of people dont consider it a big deal, which I can understand.
02.08.2016 - 18:34
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 02.08.2016 at 17:27

Altough a lot of people dont consider it a big deal, which I can understand.

Not sure I can It's like not liking Murmuüre. Madness!
02.08.2016 - 19:08
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Overrwatcher on 02.08.2016 at 13:53

Bring Me The Horizon's There Is A Hell, Believe Me I've seen It. There Is A Heaven, Let's Keep It A Secret.

Really dig this album. I'm not really vocal about deathcore in general because it's not something I listen to on a daily basis. But I do like a few bands and albums and this album in particular is at least "good" and I never understood the shit thrown at it. I suppose it's because of the name. I mostly listen to the first track though, It's hella adictive.

Quote:
"I want metalcore with atmosphere." Okay, maybe not the last one, pretty much nobody wants metalcore.

Nah, it's just that most people don't know what metalcore can do or when they hear something they like they give it a completely different genre because they don't want to be related to metalcore (stupid, right?. I mean... Converge is metalcore and they are fucking brilliant and have a massive following.

Written by m.Kekchoz on 17.07.2016 at 13:07

I don't know if inventive but it's pretty good and I never understood the butthurt... Then again, I was never a huge fan of their classic period anyways.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.08.2016 - 21:32
Maco
Pvt Funderground
There's a lot of hate for Xasthur now that I checked in other websites. I can't ask in real life because I don't have friends who listen BM. They barely listen to Slipknot and My Chemical Romance :'(
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
02.08.2016 - 22:57
Mikolaj
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 02.08.2016 at 18:34

Written by Guest on 02.08.2016 at 17:27

Altough a lot of people dont consider it a big deal, which I can understand.

Not sure I can It's like not liking Murmuüre. Madness!

I think not liking LoC is more understandable to be honest. Murmuüre is great ambient music most of the time and is a bit easier to digest I think than LoC, for people who arent that much into dissonant stuff. At least I think so.
02.08.2016 - 23:25
Paz
Elite
Written by Guest on 02.08.2016 at 22:57

At least I think so.

Dude, where did you come from?! You know all these bands... When I was your age, I was listening to some Disco Polo or something
02.08.2016 - 23:39
Mikolaj
Account deleted
Written by Paz on 02.08.2016 at 23:25

Written by Guest on 02.08.2016 at 22:57

At least I think so.

Dude, where did you come from?! You know all these bands... When I was your age, I was listening to some Disco Polo or something

You know these bands too, you have them on your favourite albums list . Well of course I search all the time for new music and try to find gems,but seriously, you definitely do know more bands than I do..

Also...Disco polo. What the heck, dude
02.08.2016 - 23:52
Paz
Elite
Written by Guest on 02.08.2016 at 23:39

You know these bands too, you have them on your favourite albums list . Well of course I search all the time for new music and try to find gems,but seriously, you definitely do know more bands than I do..

Also...Disco polo. What the heck, dude

Thanks for restoring my morale! It's great to have you with us

Forgive me, I was young and foolish
07.08.2016 - 14:48
For me, it's Kamelot's The Black Halo. Every fan of Kamelot seems to love the album and calls it their masterpiece but somehow it's doesn't work for me. For example, in This Pain and Nothing Ever Dies the guitar sound is horrible. It's way too thin.

Sure there are some amazing songs on the album, like Memento Mori or March of Mephisto but on the whole, I think that Epica is a much better album. It's much more consistent in its quality.
10.08.2016 - 06:43
Metal Ninja
The album by "Scorn" - "Vae Solis" is a album my friends cannot stand haha ..and another is GGFH (Global Genocide Forget Heaven) - Disease, which I agree can be only to certain peoples tastes.
27.08.2016 - 07:24
Ganondox
All hope is Gone by Slipknot. I don't get why that album gets so much hate. Same goes for Come Clarity by In Flames.
27.08.2016 - 08:37
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Ganondox on 27.08.2016 at 07:24

All hope is Gone by Slipknot.

Good album.

The only thing that puts me off here it's very draggy. Half way through you see they've done with the record. After that, it's just a number playing with random notes. Probably, that is why people get pissed off. Also, they were looking for aggression which is totally missing out from here.

Couple of songs kick started to the level of early-Slipknot and then slowly merged into mellow section. Certainly, people didn't expect the level of expectation to get lower.
27.08.2016 - 09:40
Ganondox
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 27.08.2016 at 08:37

[ Also, they were looking for aggression which is totally missing out from here.

Sure, it's more melodic than Slipknot's earlier albums, but it still has some really aggressive songs, like Gematria and All Hope is Gone.
27.08.2016 - 09:50
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Ganondox on 27.08.2016 at 09:40

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 27.08.2016 at 08:37

[ Also, they were looking for aggression which is totally missing out from here.

Sure, it's more melodic than Slipknot's earlier albums, but it still has some really aggressive songs, like Gematria and All Hope is Gone.

As I said, it has in some songs. You can even include "Psychosocial" in it.

If you look into the latest release ".5: The Gray Chapter", that is one hell of an aggressive record. Pretty much everyone is appreciating the fact that they got back into roots and developed a record which everyone was waiting anxiously( surely after disappointment from "All Hope..").
27.08.2016 - 10:37
Ganondox
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 27.08.2016 at 09:50

If you look into the latest release ".5: The Gray Chapter", that is one hell of an aggressive record. Pretty much everyone is appreciating the fact that they got back into roots and developed a record which everyone was waiting anxiously( surely after disappointment from "All Hope..").

Except me, as I much prefer the more melodic direction that All Hope is Gone took.
30.08.2016 - 07:45
Sang Dalang Abu
Xasthur - Suicide in Dark Serenity [EP]

And this! ppl I've ever met in internet/forum and talk sh*t about this album "fail black metal or emo metal", what a poser.
02.09.2016 - 06:46
Angry Soul
Well, "hate" is pretty much a big word, but it's quite clear that most Iron Maiden fans find "Virtual XI" one of the lesser albums in their catalog. I love it though.
----
"The valor that struggles is better than the weakness that endures." - Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel

"Art is the Tree of Life. Science is the Tree of Death." - William Blake