Metal Storm logo
Albums you love that everyone else hates & vice versa.

Original post

Posted by M C Vice, 10.12.2011 - 10:05
What are the albums that seemingly everyone hates but you think are great? Or so-called masterpieces that you find mediocre at best? Do you love Risk or Lulu? Do you thimk Blackwater Park or Painkiller are steaming piles of horse crap?
For me, Master Of Puppets was just boring. Take Welcome Home, Battery and The Thing That Should Not Be off it and I'd give it a 5.
I do, however, love Gallhammer's Ill Innocence (as well as The End), Judas Priest's Turbo and Black Sabbath's Seventh Star.
How about you? Where does your opinion differ to the masses. Go on, be honest. Its the internet, no one will ever know.
04.09.2016 - 07:12
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Angry Soul on 02.09.2016 at 06:46

Well, "hate" is pretty much a big word, but it's quite clear that most Iron Maiden fans find "Virtual XI" one of the lesser albums in their catalog. I love it though.

Me too.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
04.09.2016 - 21:57
Crimson Maiden

Well, I guess this is sort of related to the topic...I have an album by LL Cool J and people have told me they hate it...it is his, Mama Said Knock You Out" album---I am not a big fan of rap,but, I think the album is cool...8-]]
21.09.2016 - 18:56
DayFly

I'm not sure. if everyone else "hates" it, but I really like "Soldier of Fortune" by Loudness. Yes, it has Mike Vescara on vocals and its production lacks bite, but I think the songs are amazing. I also really like the "Pull" album by Winger, despite Winger being, you know, Winger.

For more metal stuff, I really enjoyed Lääz Rockit's Nothing's Sacred, even if neither the band in general are that highly regarded, nor this album in particular by those familiar with their work. Also, Horrorscope by Overkill I regard as one of the finest thrash metal albums ever, but people tend to ignore it.

As for hate: I never understood the appeal of Painkiller and Pleasure to Kill. The former just makes me feel stupid for the most part, while I have never understood why the latter is anything more than frenzied noise.
21.09.2016 - 19:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by DayFly on 21.09.2016 at 18:56

As for hate: I never understood the appeal of Painkiller and Pleasure to Kill. The former just makes me feel stupid for the most part, while have never understood why the latter is anything more than frenzied noise.

Head meet nail

qft.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.09.2016 - 16:18
DayFly

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.09.2016 at 19:19

snip

Felt uncomfortable for years for disliking those two. It's kind of good to dispense with all the pretentious bullshit every now and then.
23.09.2016 - 16:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by DayFly on 23.09.2016 at 16:18

snip

Felt uncomfortable for years for disliking those two. It's kind of good to dispense with all the pretentious bullshit every now and then.

I actually only liked and still like Coma Of Souls by Kreator and a bit of Terrible Certainty. The rest not at all. Same applies for all things concerning Sodom and Destruction. I have Always really disliked German thrash and still do to this day.

As for Painkiller never understood the fuss about that album. Okay it came after two extremely weak albums (Turbo and Ram It Down), but that's it. Judas Priest were jumping on the bandwagon of bands trying to sound heavy and aggressive. And well as for Priest's lyrics... they were andd had been extremely stupidly moronic for ages. Really some of the worst lyric writers of the well-known metal bands around.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.09.2016 - 17:00
Mikolaj
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.09.2016 at 16:31

snip

I actually only liked and still like Coma Of Souls by Kreator and a bit of Terrible Certainty. The rest not at all. Same applies for all things concerning Sodom and Destruction. I have Always really disliked German thrash and still do to this day.

As for Painkiller never understood the fuss about that album. Okay it came after two extremely weak albums (Turbo and Ram It Down), but that's it. Judas Priest were jumping on the bandwagon of bands trying to sound heavy and aggressive. And well as for Priest's lyrics... they were andd had been extremely stupidly moronic for ages. Really some of the worst lyric writers of the well-known metal bands around.

You find Coma of Souls better than pleasure to kill? Coma of Souls only has 2-3 really good songs on it, the rest is filler. Kinda what Mille Petrozza says.
23.09.2016 - 17:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 23.09.2016 at 17:00

Kinda what Mille Petrozza says.

I don't give a flying fuck what any of the band members say. Pleasure To Kill and, especially, Endless Pain total crap. Coma Of Souls is vastly superior to that dross.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.09.2016 - 18:46
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Guest on 23.09.2016 at 17:00

snip

You find Coma of Souls better than pleasure to kill? Coma of Souls only has 2-3 really good songs on it, the rest is filler. Kinda what Mille Petrozza says.

Yes, it has fillers but aggressiveness is much higher than "Pleasure To Kill". Infact, overall appeal and competence fits really well with "Coma Of Souls", and probably why it is been much appreciated by thrash community.

Well, that is what i feel.
23.09.2016 - 19:11
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
For me if fillers fits well in a record, it's not a filler for me anymore. Kind of become like songs which carry its own importance and contribution towards a record.
23.09.2016 - 19:11
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Pleasure To Kill is probably one of the few thrash albums from that era I genuinely enjoy. Great, gritty production and frantic songs. One of the few 80s produced thrash albums that doesn't sound weak as piss.
23.09.2016 - 19:28
The Batlord

I like JP's metal meathead lyrics. They're fun. "Jugulator" has some of my all-time fav lines.

"Iron claws and fangs of steel
Dripping from his tasty meal
Now it's time to jugulate
Feel your skull disintegrate

Jugulator killing time now
Reaches in and rips your spine out
"

One of the biggest metal bands on the planet just used "jugulate" as a verb. Epic.
----
Bands that suck: Dream Theater, Dragonforce, Pink Floyd, Pearl Jam, the folk rock half of Led Zeppelin, 99% of thrash metal bands from the turn of the century, Mumford & Sons, any death metal band influenced by Necrophagist.

That is all for now.
23.09.2016 - 19:29
Mikolaj
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 23.09.2016 at 19:11

Pleasure To Kill is probably one of the few thrash albums from that era I genuinely enjoy. Great, gritty production and frantic songs. One of the few 80s produced thrash albums that doesn't sound weak as piss.

Can only agree with that. Sounds also ahead of its time, vocalwise. Almost like a proto -black album.
23.09.2016 - 19:36
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 23.09.2016 at 19:29

Can only agree with that. Sounds also ahead of its time, vocalwise. Almost like a proto -black album.

Definitely. Most likely why I like it
10.10.2016 - 14:20
s_t_s

I love "Thornography" by Cradle of Filth while it was nominated biggest letdown when it was released. Sure it's not a typical CoF album (even tho the band like to change direction here and there) but it's fully enjoyable to me ! I even love "Temptation", yes I do ! I don't hate yet I don't really like "Manticore and other horrors", still by CoF, while most comments tended to be quite positive to it.

10.10.2016 - 14:57
3rdWorld
China was a neat
I loved Sunn O's collab with Scott walker. As I didn't have a lot of previous experience with Sunn O, I really digged it. But many people here bashed it and don't remember not even a single person liking it.
12.10.2016 - 13:10
Cy Nide

I really like Poetry for the Poisoned by Kamelot but fans of the band seem to despise that one.
12.10.2016 - 13:51
Mik
Account deleted
The only thing that comes to mind for me is Point of Entry by Judas Priest. I find it much better than British steel but somehow everybody seems to hate it. Otherwise, I cant think of anything else tbh.
12.10.2016 - 14:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 12.10.2016 at 13:51

The only thing that comes to mind for me is Point of Entry by Judas Priest. I find it much better than British steel but somehow everybody seems to hate it. Otherwise, I cant think of anything else tbh.

But then again British Steel is an immensely weak album. I also prefer Point Of Entry. PoE is by far not as bad as people make it out to be. British Steel, Nostradamus, Redeemer Of Souls, Ram It Down, Turbo, Demolition, Angel Of Retribution, Jugulatro and I would dare say Painkiller (the single most overrated album in metal history, I'd say) are all worse than Point Of Entry.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.10.2016 - 18:44
Wiseman's Fear

Written by Cy Nide on 12.10.2016 at 13:10

I really like Poetry for the Poisoned by Kamelot but fans of the band seem to despise that one.

Me too, even though I can see why fans dislike it. It's very different from the rest of their discography and a lot darker than the rest of their stuff.

In turn, I can't see what's so special about The Black Halo. I like Epica (the album) a lot more because it has much stronger songs all around and works better. The thin guitar in This Pain or Nothing Ever Dies is irritating me as well.
29.10.2016 - 18:49
tominator
At best deranged
Iron Maiden - The X Factor
12.03.2017 - 21:55
RoyBoy432
Dr. Quark
I truly do enjoy putting on Judas Priest - Jugulator every so often. Partly because it was one of the albums that got me into metal; but I still do think it's underrated.
14.03.2017 - 18:37
m.Kekchoz

I always hated Suicide Silence, but I really like their new one ! A well done KoRn-ripoff !
27.03.2017 - 11:13
Winter Heathen

Lulu is a masterpiece. There's no denying that Lou Reed and Metallica truly put out the magnum opus of their career in 2012. When metal, and indeed rock, was on the verge of death, Lulu brought it all to its knees and made it suffer more and vanquish in agonizing pits of lava and tables.

Jokes aside, I like Super Collider. "Built For War" was awesome, as was "The Blackest Crow" and the whole album in general. When Megadeth goes mid-tempo, Mustaine seems to write songs for the radio, which don't exactly work, even though they should.
----
Power metal incarnate.
02.04.2017 - 19:47
Sang Dalang Abu

I read so many jokes here
21.04.2017 - 09:45
Jtbmetal123

I get hated on a lot because I have a very diverse music taste, that includes pop, hip hop, rap, ETC. Honestly i dont care. I like what I like.
21.04.2017 - 21:37
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.10.2016 at 14:49

Painkiller (the single most overrated album in metal history, I'd say)

+1

I was a baby when that thing came out, so I lack perspective, but listening to it nowadays and seeing its insanely high rating here and elsewhere, it has to be the most overrated album in metal history. It's just so vacuous, sterile, trying so hard to be fast and heavy that it forgets to be interesting in the songwriting department.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
21.04.2017 - 21:46
Metren
Dreadrealm
Albums I like a lot less than most other people:

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son, And Justice For All, Painkiller, Axioma Ethica Odini, Ashes Against The Grain, Stronghold by Summoning and Ayreon's 01. The latter is probably the only album on that list that I almost hate though, it's just so boring and pretentious with a completely overwhelming number of vocalists and completely underwhelming songwriting, a good example of a bad concept album it is as well, the story doesn't serve the music, the music serves the story, plain awful.

It's much harder to think of albums that others dislike that I love though... honestly can't think of a single example atm.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
22.04.2017 - 02:49
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
I thought the last Subrosa album was mostly crap and boring. The closing track, Troubled Cells, was the only one that I thought lived up to their previous work.

Written by Metren on 21.04.2017 at 21:37

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.10.2016 at 14:49

Painkiller (the single most overrated album in metal history, I'd say)

+1

I was a baby when that thing came out, so I lack perspective, but listening to it nowadays and seeing its insanely high rating here and elsewhere, it has to be the most overrated album in metal history. It's just so vacuous, sterile, trying so hard to be fast and heavy that it forgets to be interesting in the songwriting department.

It has a couple of great songs, but the rest is pretty meh by comparison. I like the album overall, but it definitly shouldn't be the No.6 metal album.
Still think it shits all over the current No.2, though.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
22.04.2017 - 10:11
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
South Of Heaven

Just couple of songs tighten the grip rest everything falls out flat. Yeah, i still gave that record a 7.