13 want it

01. Hate Train
02. Just A Bullet Away
03. Hell And Back
04. Rebel Of Babylon

Guest review by
Mattybu
Rating:
Back in the early 1980's, a little group called Metallica were an integral part in the spawning of a movement it's safe to say a large number of metalheads around the world revere. We all know enough of their story to understand their importance, and let's face it, back in the day these guys were on top.

Read more ››
published 06.07.2012 | Comments (26)

Found in 8 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 97   Visited by: 1146 users
13.12.2011 - 07:25
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
What a waste of a release.

In typical Metallica fashion.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.12.2011 - 07:43
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
What the hell they want to prove?
13.12.2011 - 07:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 13.12.2011 at 07:43

Nothing. That's the problem. They aren't trying to prove anything. They're just releasing shit while the Metallica name is still relevant.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.12.2011 - 07:46
Rating: 9
Angelic Storm
Melodious

All these songs were released individually to fan club members during their 30th anniversary week (last week) when they played 4 shows at the Fillmore. Each night they played a new song, and the studio versions (though in a rough mix form) were sent on to club members soon afterwards. All this is, is a collection of those songs.
13.12.2011 - 08:51
JCJen7

These songs are fine, I hadn't ehard them before, glad they released them.
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
13.12.2011 - 09:00
Chaosweaver

Is this to distract us from how absolutely shithouse LuLu was?
13.12.2011 - 09:10
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Chaosweaver on 13.12.2011 at 09:00

Is this to distract us from how absolutely shithouse LuLu was?

I doubt it, it's most likely just a huge coincidence. The 4 Fillmore shows last week featured lots of surprises, culminating in a reunion with Dave Mustaine on the final night, were he played five songs with them. I suspect these songs were arranged to be premiered at these shows before Lulu was released. So their release now, is just a timely coincidence I think.
13.12.2011 - 10:40
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.12.2011 at 07:45

while the Metallica name is still relevant.

As I've said earlier too[somewhere in MS] that Metallica loves to honor "LEGENDS"/ "PERSONAL FAVORITES". Remember, that live concert giving tribute to Sabbath[much more emphasis was on OZZY] when James was having an severe throat problem and Rob attacked by Viral fever, they did the concert. Even they step up on plastic award Grammy show and did some tributes where I think it was an unnecessary attempts, later they realized. Now, they did for Lou and the horrendous, skinny, funny, disfigured lyrical output wasn't exceptional. Fans bashing over this CD and threatening to kill Lou for sure has severely downgraded the fans image and their love for Metallica. So, to overcome all these, new EP is been out and soon the full fledged NEW ALBUM will be out soon and trust me that will gonna vanish some of the rage out of the fans.
13.12.2011 - 11:02
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 13.12.2011 at 10:40
Fans bashing over this CD and threatening to kill Lou for sure has severely downgraded the fans image and their love for Metallica. So, to overcome all these, new EP is been out and soon the full fledged NEW ALBUM will be out soon and trust me that will gonna vanish some of the rage out of the fans.

As horrendous as Lulu is, threatening to kill Lou Reed just makes those fans look pathetic. As for the EP, and releasing those unreleased songs, I feel certain that was always going to happen for the 30th anniversary celebrations anyway, the fact that the anniversary stuff happened not long after Lulu was just sheer coincidence. A very lucky coincidence for Metallica sure, but still a coincidence nonetheless. All that stuff that happened for the anniversary would have been planned months in advance, too much happened for that to have been arranged in 2 or 3 weeks. So the timing is just lucky for Metallica, rather than it being a knee jerk decision to try and appease fans because of Lulu.

Besides, every album should be judged 100% on it's own merits. Lulu should have absolutely no bearing on anyone's opinion of new Metallica material. But it will, because so many people are just stupid.
13.12.2011 - 11:10
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Angelic Storm on 13.12.2011 at 11:02

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 13.12.2011 at 10:40
Fans bashing over this CD and threatening to kill Lou for sure has severely downgraded the fans image and their love for Metallica. So, to overcome all these, new EP is been out and soon the full fledged NEW ALBUM will be out soon and trust me that will gonna vanish some of the rage out of the fans.

Lulu should have absolutely no bearing on anyone's opinion of new Metallica material. But it will, because so many people are just stupid.

Lulu was been produced only for Lou and I read it somewhere that Metallica was on tour when this Velvet ugly dude approached to them. This album wasn't even properly planned and within a weeks they put a song streaming online everywhere and you call it has "no bearing on anyone's opinion". Now, the next record which is been planned a year back[ while on Death Magnetic tour I suppose] is making no breaking news anywhere. So, that Lulu was an honor album for Lou.
13.12.2011 - 11:42
Rating: 5
Risto
Wandering Midget
I for one am annoyed they released them, particularly the first two that actually have some good ingredients. They just don't sound finished which is typical Metallica these days
13.12.2011 - 13:20
Rating: 8
Cyroth

Instrumental wise, i like it, but man james' voice in some moments just sucks and the lyrics are somewhat 'meh'
----
13.12.2011 - 13:28
vezzy
Stallmanite
"Beyond Lulu" is next on the list.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
13.12.2011 - 15:01
Hugoj33

Another gay album
13.12.2011 - 15:21
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by vezzy on 13.12.2011 at 13:28

"Beyond Lulu" is next on the list.

I'm more afraid of a "Lulu II"
13.12.2011 - 16:35
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Apology for lulu i guess
13.12.2011 - 18:12
Edmund Fogg

If these are unreleased track from Death Magnetic, Why not simply do a Special or Deluxe edition or wathever with these tracks as bonus at the same time as Death Magnetic? ... Ooh wait, Reccord label marketing 101.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
13.12.2011 - 19:03
Iron Nostarion
Maiden Whore
Come on, take this band objectively for once. Either fucking fanboys or haters. This EP IS good. Lulu was horrible, I agree 100%, and St. Anger was, and Load was, and ReLoad was. And they sold out, and they are commercial as fuck now. However, please base your shit on the music instead of the image for once. :/
----
To their tombs the people are immured,
There is their gold, treasure and wealth,
The only condition is to ignore them,
Those who feed on corruption and weave death
13.12.2011 - 19:14
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Iron Nostarion on 13.12.2011 at 19:03

Come on, take this band objectively for once. Either fucking fanboys or haters. This EP IS good. Lulu was horrible, I agree 100%, and St. Anger was, and Load was, and ReLoad was. And they sold out, and they are commercial as fuck now. However, please base your shit on the music instead of the image for once. :/

Most people find it hard to be objective about any music, full stop. But when it comes to Metallica, it seems to be an impossibility to anyone but a very small minority. Metallica are a band that for the vast majority of people, it's impossible to be in any way rational when it comes to judging their music. It's usually blind praise, or blind hate, very little inbetween. Although with Lulu, even some of their own fanboys turned on them.

Me, I judge every new release completely and totally, on it's own merits, and based on no other factors but the music of that individual release alone. With that in mind, these 4 songs range from good to great, with Just A Bullet Away (AKA "Shine") probably being the best of the bunch. That one is a really great song, and I love James Hetfield's guitar solo in it!
13.12.2011 - 20:00
vezzy
Stallmanite
Objectively speaking, I found "Just A Bullet Away" to be painfully... dull.
----
13.12.2011 - 20:14
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Edmund Fogg on 13.12.2011 at 18:12
Record label marketing 101.

Exactly. Metallica know how to pinch every dime they can out of their audience. Probably the most shameless band I've ever come across.
----
13.12.2011 - 20:17
Tiago Rocha
Dark Lighthouse
Quote:

Most people find it hard to be objective about any music, full stop. But when it comes to Metallica, it seems to be an impossibility to anyone but a very small minority. Metallica are a band that for the vast majority of people, it's impossible to be in any way rational when it comes to judging their music. It's usually blind praise, or blind hate, very little inbetween. Although with Lulu, even some of their own fanboys turned on them.

Me, I judge every new release completely and totally, on it's own merits, and based on no other factors but the music of that individual release alone. With that in mind, these 4 songs range from good to great, with Just A Bullet Away (AKA "Shine") probably being the best of the bunch. That one is a really great song, and I love James Hetfield's guitar solo in it!

Love the way you talk girl...
13.12.2011 - 21:34
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.12.2011 at 20:14
Exactly. Metallica know how to pinch every dime they can out of their audience. Probably the most shameless band I've ever come across.

Actually, all the members of their fan club got the tracks for free. And in any case, I can think of countless examples of albums being released, then mere months later, the same album being released with extra tracks to try and extort cash from true fans. This is almost always, a record company tactic, and nothing to do with the band. Major labels are notorious for doing this. Metallica, especially for their size, are hardly any worse in this regard than many other bands. A band as big as them could get away with far more than they're actually doing. It's also worthy of note, that Metallica have never released a greatest hits album, which is the ultimate cheap cash grab. I can think of countless bands who have several such hits compilations, yet Metallica don't even have one. Hardly makes them beyond doubt "the most shameless band"...

And at least these tracks are being released as an EP, which is far cheaper than the songs would be, if they'd decided to re-release the album with the extra tracks on it. (as many other bands have done in the past) £2.50 is about the price of a single, and very reasonable for an EP is you ask me...
13.12.2011 - 21:54
Iron Nostarion
Maiden Whore
Written by Angelic Storm on 13.12.2011 at 19:14

I'm glad there are people who still judge truthfully that way. And yes, "Just A Bullet Away" is indeed the best song on this record.
----
To their tombs the people are immured,
There is their gold, treasure and wealth,
The only condition is to ignore them,
Those who feed on corruption and weave death
13.12.2011 - 21:56
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Judging this on its own merits, overlooking the Metallica name, overlooking Lulu, overlooking their "sellout" releases in the '90s...

These songs are still boring.
----
13.12.2011 - 21:58
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Tiago Rocha on 13.12.2011 at 20:17
Love the way you talk girl...

Way to ruin an argument with your horny pleas of self-stimulation anxiety (that's code for v_____ pleas), you twit.

I guess if you're into older women/MILFs (in case you don't understand), it could work.
----
13.12.2011 - 22:04
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 13.12.2011 at 21:58
Way to ruin an argument with your horny pleas of self-stimulation anxiety (that's code for v_____ pleas), you twit.

I guess if you're into older women/MILFs (in case you don't understand), it could work.

Yes, I can totally see how his remark invalidates the points I made.

Anyway, your immature, off topic statements hardly paints anything you have to say on the subject in a credible light, does it?
13.12.2011 - 22:07
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Angelic Storm on 13.12.2011 at 22:04
Anyway, your immature, off topic statements hardly paints anything you have to say on the subject in a credible light, does it?

I can't paint worth a stotinka.

I already said that (objectively speaking: excluding past escapades and extravaganzas) that one song about bullets (it was so dull I forgot its name) failed to leave any impact. Just bland and uninspired.
----
13.12.2011 - 22:10
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 13.12.2011 at 22:07
I can't paint worth a stotinka.

I already said that (objectively speaking) that one song about bullets (it was so dull I forgot its name) failed to leave any impact. Just bland and uninspired.

You, objective? That would definitely be a first for you. Anyway, I find it ridiculous that you can assert that someone else's comment invalidates my points, all the while being totally immature about stating such.
13.12.2011 - 22:22
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Angelic Storm on 13.12.2011 at 22:10
You, objective? That would definitely be a first for you. Anyway, I find it ridiculous that you can assert that someone else's comment invalidates my points, all the while being totally immature about stating such.

Objectivity is a subjective manner. Also thought experiments and logical fallacies just because I can.

When did I assert that? I didn't mean he invalidated your arguments, just that he pointlessly tagged himself on it.
----

Hits total: 23701 | This month: 23