Metal Storm logo
Studying and metal?

Original post

Posted by VaronoZz, 13.12.2011 - 13:13
I am during my exams period, and as always i cant concentrate without having music playing next to me, talking about the most of the subjects. And i have noticed that i can listen just some really specific kinds of metal than can keep me concentrated. Slow tempos, without big changes with characteristic monotony i could say. Such as Summoning, Drudkh and A Forest of Stars. So i would like to hear if im not the only here, and get ideas for alternative solutions!
24.04.2012 - 17:49
Lit 2.0
Account deleted
I find that turning the music lower than usual provides a nice experience no matter the type of metal.
24.04.2012 - 18:22
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Well,

if I'm writing essays- Thrash Metal works best for me.

Studying for written exams--Black Metal. it really helps me out to concentrate on my scripts tbh.
25.04.2012 - 04:44
Thrashette

On a somewhat related note, I got my new top score on Word Mole while listening to black metal... Maybe I should try studying with it sometime.
For writing essays, I just put my playlist on shuffle most of the time
27.04.2012 - 03:12
Crucifux
Account deleted
I try not to listen to music when I study. I'm always tempted to zone out, especially if it's music I really like; however, if it happens to be less distracting than the noise around me, then I'll plug in. It's not impossible to concentrate if I'm focused enough. Music with a monotonous level of sound or songs I'm very familiar with seem to be the most effective.
27.04.2012 - 10:32
bran

I was sick with bronchitis in high school and had an important test that i had to take an important test to graduate,but the doctor didnt want me going to school, and the test had to be administered with someone watching me take it. so she told me to get compfortable so i asked if i could listen to some music while i do the test, she told me to it was my house and do whatever would make me compfortable so i put on slayers hell awaits cd and the look on her face was priceless. she asked me you can study while listening to this? i told her yes. the results came back a couple months later and she gave me the results and had a huge grin on her face i got a 5/5 on the test,.
----
top 5 albums of 2012 so far.

1. wintersun- time I
2. woods of ypres- woods V grey skies and electric light
3. agalloch- faustian echoes EP
4. the slow death- II
5. kreator- phantom antichrist
02.05.2012 - 06:26
Igeldude

I always had trouble staying awake in English class during reading time, so I brought some music one day and tried that. I went from reading about 2 - 4 pages to about 30 pages a day during the half hour slot.
15.05.2012 - 10:07
SunFalcon

I Tried To Listen To Music When I Study But I Can't Focus Then I Found That Having Some Break Of Music Is Better
----
What Left Of Me Shall Build A New World
17.06.2012 - 13:40
Infernal Eternal

I study while listening to Opeth.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
17.06.2012 - 14:10
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Infernal Eternal on 17.06.2012 at 13:40

Opeth.

Seriously, if i would have done the same I would have never passed in any sort of examinations.
17.06.2012 - 14:33
Infernal Eternal

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 17.06.2012 at 14:10

Opeth.

Seriously, if i would have done the same I would have never passed in any sort of examinations.

Many friends ask me how I pass in my exams studying that way but it's just me, right?
----
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
23.06.2012 - 12:08
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Infernal Eternal on 17.06.2012 at 14:33

Opeth.

Many friends ask me how I pass in my exams studying that way but it's just me, right?

I somehow feel that claiming to be "me" sucks big time.
23.06.2012 - 14:50
Thrashette

Opeth seems to be good music to listen to while writing lab reports, in my experience that is...
23.06.2012 - 15:49
Infernal Eternal

Written by Thrashette on 23.06.2012 at 14:50

Opeth seems to be good music to listen to while writing lab reports, in my experience that is...

Agreed
----
23.06.2012 - 15:49
Infernal Eternal

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 23.06.2012 at 12:08

Written by Infernal Eternal on 17.06.2012 at 14:33

Opeth.

I somehow feel that claiming to be "me" sucks big time.

?
----
23.06.2012 - 16:53
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
My experience is that usually if you have to read something, it is better not to listen to anything because you mind will be concentrating alternatively between the music and what you are reading; therefore, your efficiency will decrease. So it is better to just read or to just listen to music to "maximize utility" from both.

On the other hand, sometimes, when I am writing, (metal) music is just fine.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
24.06.2012 - 22:34
J:oKeR

Written by K✞ulu on 23.06.2012 at 16:53

My experience is that usually if you have to read something, it is better not to listen to anything because you mind will be concentrating alternatively between the music and what you are reading; therefore, your efficiency will decrease. So it is better to just read or to just listen to music to "maximize utility" from both.

On the other hand, sometimes, when I am writing, (metal) music is just fine.

agreed, when i read and listen to music, i can't remmember anything what i read. I only listen to metal when im doing math, makes math not so boring haha...
----
Aaaaaaaaaa
28.06.2012 - 20:10
Windir

If metal is great (which obviously is) it's impossible for me to focus and I end listening to music and forget everything about whatever I had to study... so I have to do a break from music while studying
16.12.2013 - 17:29
R Lewis

Mostly instrumental&quiet music, as God Is An Astronaut, Nest, sleepmakeswaves, This Will Destroy You, Pelican and such...
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
18.12.2013 - 12:57
Skl3ros

I literally cannot learn without music anymore. it's the reason why learning is fun for me because I always listen to new complex albums that take a while to get used to and that I couldn't get into otherwise. also I mostly listen to fast music when I'm learning because it somehow gives me the energy and motivation to keep on learning for hours if I need to. without music I cannot concentrate and get absorbed in thoughts all the time.
20.12.2013 - 16:43
Jtbmetal123

I refuse to study without metal.
25.12.2013 - 21:18
DyingWorld

I can't study with metal because I would never get any work done. Studying seems to work better for me with ambient music like Tangerine Dream and Neptune Towers.
14.01.2014 - 08:03
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
When I do It either has no lyrics or I cant understand them. Extreme metal doesn't distract me but a voice I can understand really does and I wont learn as well. If I'm still not very familiar with the subject then I'd rather have silence, but If the material was very coherent to me or I was redrafting something It wouldn't matter and I'd listen to anything. I really like silence every now and then though it's good for you.
----
Coldgrits
15.01.2014 - 21:49
LLTNF
Account deleted
I always listen to music when I study, yes. I am a full-time student and have to do school work on a daily basis and if it weren't for the inspiration that music gives me the whole experience of education would be much more arduous and dreadful! I don't have any special "study music" or albums or anything, I just listen to whatever it is I am in the mood for at the time.
16.01.2014 - 05:22
Lit.
Account deleted
I don't even like reading with music on, much less studying.
16.01.2014 - 14:55
LLTNF
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 16.01.2014 at 05:22

I don't even like reading with music on, much less studying.

Haha, I don't like music on when I read recreationally either but when it comes to academics music is a must for me; maybe I should be studying something different.
16.01.2014 - 19:43
Warman
Erotic Stains
I can't listen to music while studying, with the exception of doing math. I haven't done any real math since high school though, so I really don't know how it would work these days. Anyway, when it comes to my university studies today, music is no option while studying.
----
16.01.2014 - 20:50
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
As I've said earlier, chaotic music has always clicked with my studies.

Metal music good for Maths. When you're trying to crunch some dx or dy, spin any metal disc and I think it give you tremendous support.