03. Explorers
04. Endless Cycle
05. Fastwalkers
06. Sycophant
07. Self Conspiracy
08. Unearthing History
09. Terraformer
10. Serpents In The Sky

Dwellers Of The Twilight is a two-piece black metal band from France - unsigned and searching for the right label. Sycophant is their second full-length release, following up 2009's Grey. And the differences are more than noticeable.

Initially it seemed as though the Dwellers (by the names of Human 1 and 2) sought out to join the hordes of raw lo-fi black metal projects, but Sycophant saw them take a turn in the right direction. The direction that makes reviewers like me draw comparisons to the likes of countrymates Deathspell Omega and Antaeus, for willing to experiment within the confines of what some think of as a tired genre.

The sound isn't entirely their own, but it's not exactly a carbon copy either. There seems to be a strong focus on the psychedelic effects the guitars create, distorting their way into a mythical, occult madness - sometimes even reminiscent of contemporary Akercocke. It's not the hoity-toity type of atmospheric black metal that a lot of Alcest rip-offs are vying to emulate, it's the kind of album you absorb while simultaneously taking in the mosaic that is W. Somerset Maugham's Of Human Bondage over tea and crumpets crepes (it's okay to think A Forest Of Stars here, so long as they have curly mustaches).

So you've got the psychedelia, the occultism, the all-around raw maniacal machine of a parasite that is the Dwellers Of The Twilight, but what of the spaced out intellectualism marred only by a true cynic's disbelief. That's a fancy way of me telling you that this isn't a straight-up balls to the wall anti-humanistic tongue-lashing for the weak, but a mesmerizing mix of spite and aggression with orchestrated insanity that borders on conspiratorial skepticism to go along with a time-changing propensity most progressive metal bands would be proud of.

This is both black metal for gentlemen as much as it is black metal for nihilists. See for yourself which group you belong to: http://dwellersofthetwilight.bandcamp.com/.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 10

Written on 15.12.2011 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 44   Visited by: 410 users
16.12.2011 - 19:03
Slayer666

Written by X-Ray Rod on 16.12.2011 at 19:01

It has been quite the year for Black metal indeed.... God how much we have been spoiled.

If 2012 is as good (or better) for BM, the world can end by December and I'll die a happy man.
16.12.2011 - 19:06
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Slayer666 on 16.12.2011 at 19:03

Written by X-Ray Rod on 16.12.2011 at 19:01

It has been quite the year for Black metal indeed.... God how much we have been spoiled.

If 2012 is as good (or better) for BM, the world can end by December and I'll die a happy man.

I honestly can't keep up too much anymore. It's like a friggin factory:
"Here comes a very good album... Listens to it... enjoy it a lot... here's ANOTHER very good album...etc."
The enjoyment doesn't last that long and it's just not as enjoyable when you feel like you have to take the time to really listen to the stuff.... If I take my time to enjoy each album from 2011 that I found good... I'll be done by 2013 It's almost too good it's annoying.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
16.12.2011 - 19:36
Carl Berg
Carl Berg
Quote:
This is both black metal for gentlemen as much as it is black metal for nihilists.

Now THAT is worth checking out.
16.12.2011 - 20:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by The Turbanator on 16.12.2011 at 09:33
Apparently they are signed to "Eichenwald". Also, is this 2011 album? M/A says it's 2009.

I have their "Grey" album, it's very good.

Nothing MA says about them is accurate. I think I would know since the band contacted me themselves.

It was finished recording in '09 and they had it ready to release, but didn't officially release it until November.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.12.2011 - 03:15
scaesura

May check this out more extensively than just the track I heard on youtube... Way too processed sounding for me though, I think.
17.12.2011 - 07:55
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by scaesura on 17.12.2011 at 03:15
Way too processed sounding for me though, I think.

If this is too processed you must really have an affinity for lo-fi stuff. The debut will probably impress you more in that case.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.12.2011 - 20:08
scaesura

Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.12.2011 at 07:55
If this is too processed you must really have an affinity for lo-fi stuff. The debut will probably impress you more in that case.

Well, mostly what gets me is the overbearing and obviously programmed drums. I've never liked those kind of drums, either in sound or in style, whatever you want to call them. The rest of the tone/whatever else is whatever, to me. I could live with it, if not for the drums.
17.12.2011 - 20:16
Evil Chip

This one and Rudra, Wolves in the Throne Room and Infestus are the best of the year for me.
17.12.2011 - 20:50
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by scaesura on 17.12.2011 at 20:08

Well, mostly what gets me is the overbearing and obviously programmed drums. I've never liked those kind of drums, either in sound or in style, whatever you want to call them. The rest of the tone/whatever else is whatever, to me. I could live with it, if not for the drums.

You should check out the The Axis of Perdition's first album if you hate programmed drums so much ;]
18.12.2011 - 10:20
Grody2themax

Written by Guest on 17.12.2011 at 20:50

Written by scaesura on 17.12.2011 at 20:08

You should check out the The Axis of Perdition's first album if you hate programmed drums so much ;]

I hate it when people irrationally hate on programmed drums. I think anyone would prefer real drums, but it doesn't make that much of a difference except for it maybe being too perfect. You'd probably never even notice the drums being programmed unless it was pointed out to you or they were done poorly.
18.12.2011 - 17:18
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Grody2themax on 18.12.2011 at 10:20
I hate it when people irrationally hate on programmed drums. I think anyone would prefer real drums, but it doesn't make that much of a difference except for it maybe being too perfect. You'd probably never even notice the drums being programmed unless it was pointed out to you or they were done poorly.

Not to mention that sometimes they sound far better than normal ones considering the fact that some styles like industrial sound better and more natural that way.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
20.12.2011 - 00:03
InnerSelf
proofread free
Sounds like something I'd enjoy, nice review
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
22.12.2011 - 06:26
Slinky666
Account deleted
I like this music. Good album.
30.12.2016 - 21:59
Rating: 9
koob

Came back to this album today, still very enjoyable, I wish they would put out something new !

Hits total: 9989 | This month: 7