03. Explorers
04. Endless Cycle
05. Fastwalkers
06. Sycophant
07. Self Conspiracy
08. Unearthing History
09. Terraformer
10. Serpents In The Sky

Dwellers Of The Twilight is a two-piece black metal band from France - unsigned and searching for the right label. Sycophant is their second full-length release, following up 2009's Grey. And the differences are more than noticeable.

Initially it seemed as though the Dwellers (by the names of Human 1 and 2) sought out to join the hordes of raw lo-fi black metal projects, but Sycophant saw them take a turn in the right direction. The direction that makes reviewers like me draw comparisons to the likes of countrymates Deathspell Omega and Antaeus, for willing to experiment within the confines of what some think of as a tired genre.

The sound isn't entirely their own, but it's not exactly a carbon copy either. There seems to be a strong focus on the psychedelic effects the guitars create, distorting their way into a mythical, occult madness - sometimes even reminiscent of contemporary Akercocke. It's not the hoity-toity type of atmospheric black metal that a lot of Alcest rip-offs are vying to emulate, it's the kind of album you absorb while simultaneously taking in the mosaic that is W. Somerset Maugham's Of Human Bondage over tea and crumpets crepes (it's okay to think A Forest Of Stars here, so long as they have curly mustaches).

So you've got the psychedelia, the occultism, the all-around raw maniacal machine of a parasite that is the Dwellers Of The Twilight, but what of the spaced out intellectualism marred only by a true cynic's disbelief. That's a fancy way of me telling you that this isn't a straight-up balls to the wall anti-humanistic tongue-lashing for the weak, but a mesmerizing mix of spite and aggression with orchestrated insanity that borders on conspiratorial skepticism to go along with a time-changing propensity most progressive metal bands would be proud of.

This is both black metal for gentlemen as much as it is black metal for nihilists. See for yourself which group you belong to: http://dwellersofthetwilight.bandcamp.com/.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 10

Written on 15.12.2011 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments

Comments: 44   Visited by: 410 users
15.12.2011 - 12:57
Milena
gloom cookie
staff
Troy and a nine rating. Now that's something you don't see very often.
----
7.0 means the album is good
15.12.2011 - 13:24
KwonVerge
Odysseus
elite
For gentlemen and nihilists, aight? I'll approach it!
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
15.12.2011 - 15:25
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
French?! Black Metal?! The?! And?!

[EDIT]

S'on Spotify. Sexual guitar tone and sound. There's definitely an N.K.V.D./The Amenta etc. industrial tinge to this. Maybe even more than a tinge actually.

[EDIT]

I see they use a drum machine so definitely industrial oriented.
15.12.2011 - 15:46
Ag Fox
Angel No More
elite
Sweet review. Gonna check them out soon
----
loves 小巫
15.12.2011 - 16:28
Mikyz
I listened to this last week, I wouldn't rank them as high as DsO... but it's interesting black Metal, some kind of Raw Post-Black sound.... has more in common with the latest Dso then their other Kenose-like releases, add to that some slight industrial aspects. I'd like to see how it sounds with real drums.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
15.12.2011 - 17:31
Edmund Fogg
That's a fancy way of me telling you that this isn't a straight-up balls to the wall anti-humanistic tongue-lashing for the weak, but a mesmerizing mix of spite and aggression with orchestrated insanity that borders on conspiratorial skepticism to go along with a time-changing propensity most progressive metal bands would be proud of.
-----------------------------

That is one hell of a long sentence. Got lost for a bit haha. Nice review will try them out
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
15.12.2011 - 17:59
metaleaterr
abstract_bliss
Killer review!! Like the "distorting their way into a mythical, occult madness" expression. Can't wait to hear this! I like mythical occult shit!!
15.12.2011 - 18:22
PocketMetal
Never got why you praised "woods of desolation" and "defheaven" so much , I've come to the conclusion our tastes are very different .
I hope this one turns out to be real good .
15.12.2011 - 18:43
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by PocketMetal on 15.12.2011 at 18:22

Never got why you praised "woods of desolation" and "defheaven" so much , I've come to the conclusion our tastes are very different .
I hope this one turns out to be real good .

Well I liked it and Troy's and my tastes are like Yin and Yang.
15.12.2011 - 18:57
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Guest on 15.12.2011 at 15:25

For serious, as soon as the first track started playing, I was like... Joe, Rozz, the little Doc, Mikyz (even though he said he didn't like it as much), Clint W., etcetcetc would all dig this.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.12.2011 - 19:20
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Edmund Fogg on 15.12.2011 at 17:31
Got lost for a bit haha.

I got lost listening to the album. I was hoping to write a bit of a crazy review to reflect that crazy vibe.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.12.2011 - 19:26
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Interesting...
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
15.12.2011 - 20:38
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.12.2011 at 18:57

For serious, as soon as the first track started playing, I was like... Joe, Rozz, the little Doc, Mikyz (even though he said he didn't like it as much), Clint W., etcetcetc would all dig this.

You had me at "This is both black metal for gentlemen as much as it is black metal for nihilists." Seriously... Both kinds of black metal are for me so this is like... for me squared! Checking it out asap.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
15.12.2011 - 20:39
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by X-Ray Rod on 15.12.2011 at 20:38
You had me at "This is both black metal for gentlemen as much as it is black metal for nihilists." Seriously... Both kinds of black metal are for me so this is like... for me squared! Checking it out asap.

You sir, are anything but a gentleman.
----
15.12.2011 - 20:41
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.12.2011 at 20:39
You sir, are anything but a gentleman.

I would disagree, old bean!
/tophat

Also... Am I the only one that for some reason thought the album was some kind of tech death just because of the artwork?
----
Rod, let me love you.
15.12.2011 - 20:42
Ag Fox
Angel No More
elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.12.2011 at 18:57

very affectionate
----
loves 小巫
15.12.2011 - 20:46
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by X-Ray Rod on 15.12.2011 at 20:41
Am I the only one that for some reason thought the album was some kind of tech death just because of the artwork?

If I hadn't known ahead of time that I was reviewing a black metal album, I would have definitely pegged this as a tech-death release based on the cover. It has a very Decapitated/Beneath the Massacre look to it.

Not that I think Beneath the Massacre are in any way good. But still. Cover art.
----
15.12.2011 - 20:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Ag Fox on 15.12.2011 at 20:42
very affectionate

It's the only way I can refer to him in a nickname kind of manner without confusing people with Godin (aka the true Doc).
----
15.12.2011 - 20:53
Ag Fox
Angel No More
elite
I know, but I just found it quite endearing =P

Pretty good album btw. Won't rate it as high as you, still on my first listen but it sounds really enjoyable atm
----
loves 小巫
15.12.2011 - 20:55
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Ag Fox on 15.12.2011 at 20:53
Won't rate it as high as you, still on my first listen but it sounds really enjoyable atm

I have a feeling many won't agree with the rating, but I know for a fact a lot of people who like black metal will at least think this is good. I'd be surprised if any of the users I chat with even semi-regularly give this anything less than a 7.
----
15.12.2011 - 23:05
hadriel
Awesome review, got me interested enough to check out some samples and it sounds pretty sick. Gonna give it a full go when I get some time this weekend, thanks! I generally like albums that aren't over-produced, but it sounded a little bit too raw to top some of my other favorites from this year. I get that it's what they were going for, and from what I heard it's a good match for the rest of its qualities, but I still prefer the 'crispness' of other releases like WoD and Deafheaven this year... mind you, that's just the vibe I got off the samples and I may become more accustomed to it after a full listen.
15.12.2011 - 23:19
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by hadriel on 15.12.2011 at 23:05
Gonna give it a full go when I get some time this weekend, thanks!

Glad to hear it piqued your interest. Lemme know what you think of it when you're done listening in full.
----
16.12.2011 - 02:01
Fredd
Account deleted
Holy fuck. you gave an album a 9. will check out.
16.12.2011 - 02:02
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Guest on 16.12.2011 at 02:01
Holy fuck. you gave an album a 9. will check out.

It's really not as rare an occasion as people make it out to be!
----
16.12.2011 - 09:33
The Turbanator
Apparently they are signed to "Eichenwald". Also, is this 2011 album? M/A says it's 2009.

I have their "Grey" album, it's very good.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
16.12.2011 - 13:39
A bit "samey", isn't it?
16.12.2011 - 14:02
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Merchant of Doom on 16.12.2011 at 13:39

A bit "samey", isn't it?

Coming from a funeral doom fan ;] You should be used to "samey"
16.12.2011 - 14:48
Written by Guest on 16.12.2011 at 14:02

Written by Merchant of Doom on 16.12.2011 at 13:39

A bit "samey", isn't it?

Coming from a funeral doom fan ;] You should be used to "samey"

ah, ah, lol...
16.12.2011 - 18:52
Slayer666
Cool beans this album. Not sure about "brilliant", though, but a very satisfying listen. Its shine fades a bit when placed against all the other releases this year, though.
16.12.2011 - 19:01
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Slayer666 on 16.12.2011 at 18:52

Cool beans this album. Not sure about "brilliant", though, but a very satisfying listen. Its shine fades a bit when placed against all the other releases this year, though.

It has been quite the year for Black metal indeed.... God how much we have been spoiled.
----
Rod, let me love you.

Hits total: 9994 | This month: 12