04. Earth Pus: Salvation [acoustic version]
05. Transcendence [feat. Ross Dolan]

Disc II [DVD]
+ Live at Rock School Barbey, Bordeaux
+ Performance in Joao Onofre's "Box Sized DIE"
+ Other live performances
+ Soundtrack of Gorod live performance at WFMU radio show
+ Photo gallery

Gorod is a technical death metal band that, if you have not heard, you should listen to. After the teaser for the upcoming EP was released, I eagerly awaited the official release. There was quite a lot to anticipate really: acoustic interpretations of two great songs from the first two albums, a Cynic cover, a new 15-minute song, and a less exciting re-recording of "Earth Pus." Was Transcendence worth the wait? In the end, almost as much as I expected.

The acoustic interpretations - and they are not just merely acoustic versions - show the undoubted talent of the band. It is obvious that a lot of work was put into composing these renditions. The band is not simply covering itself with acoustic guitars but is bringing forth almost new songs implementing classic guitars, percussion, and what seems like fretless bass. These sound like variations on a theme done in a pseudo-flamenco style without vocals. The result is beautiful music, which shows the band in a new light while proving once more how diversely they can use their skills.

The re-recording of "Earth Pus" has a better sound but does not have the groovy outro that the original did. In fact, I do not see a lot of sense in including that song on the EP since it does not even feature the new vocalist Julien "Nutz" Deyres; the vocals are done by the band's former vocalist Guillaume Martino.

The cover of Cynic's "Textures," on the other hand, feels right at home on this release. The subtle guitar playing, the complex rhythmic shifts, and the sheer epic beauty blend perfectly with even more intricate material of acoustic interpretations and the monstrous title track.

"Transcendence" is a real piece of art. This is a hymn to complexity, musical talent, and the art of songwriting. The accurate guitar lines splatter like flamboyant colors on an avant-gardist's canvas while the bass and drums either play the guitars' game or go other places and have fun in their own world. Nevertheless, there is a lot of precision and thought-out structuring in this piece: some parts of the song sound as if they were flirting with each other - stealing each other's theme and then joining in a chorus or bridge or another logical resolution. This makes the attentive listening experience incredibly adventurous, but the flow of ideas is almost conceptual, like there is a reason one part follows the other. By the way, the song features three vocalists: the current, the old one, and Ross Dolan of Immolation; however, behind all the instrumental goodness, there is not even time to evaluate each one's contribution, but one will notice the clean singing?

To conclude: Transcendence is one of the more successful experiments this year, and Gorod prove yet once again that they are one of the most original bands in the technical department of metal.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by K✞ulu | 15.12.2011

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 47 users
15.12.2011 - 17:06
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I love tech deth, i should check this out.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
15.12.2011 - 17:12
Fredd
Account deleted

Total 8.5?
Rating: 8
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Boxcar Willy on 15.12.2011 at 17:06

If you have not heard Gorod before, check all of their previous catalog; it's really different from anything else I've heard in tech death.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Boxcar Willy on 15.12.2011 at 17:06

You really should. These dudes are amazing. Although this is just an EP and that just contains some different verions, I would recommend that you get this album album over Transcendence.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

15.12.2011 - 17:16
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 15.12.2011 at 17:12

Total 8.5?

The overall score is reduced because I think the first song is really out of place here, but as far as the four criteria, the EP is stellar.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

15.12.2011 - 17:21
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by K✞ulu on 15.12.2011 at 17:16

Written by Guest on 15.12.2011 at 17:12

Total 8.5?

The overall score is reduced because I think the first song is really out of place here, but as far as the four criteria, the EP is stellar.

ah, I see
16.12.2011 - 22:57
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Love this band, seriously by far the most unique and varied Tech Death band out there thesedays. absolutely love how groovy their sound is and how they still manage to keep the music intricate and technical.

"Transcendence" as an EP didnt really appeal to me, as I never really give a shit about re-released songs or covers. But the title-track is absoletely mind-blowing. 15 minutes of genius, building up to an unforgettable climax this is probably my favorite song of the last couple of years. It colossal, beautiful, gripping, groovy and just incredibly well structured and thought-out.

Now all we need is a new ALBUM!
16.12.2011 - 23:07
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 16.12.2011 at 22:57

Love this band, seriously by far the most unique and varied Tech Death band out there thesedays. absolutely love how groovy their sound is and how they still manage to keep the music intricate and technical.

"Transcendence" as an EP didnt really appeal to me, as I never really give a shit about re-released songs or covers. But the title-track is absoletely mind-blowing. 15 minutes of genius, building up to an unforgettable climax this is probably my favorite song of the last couple of years. It colossal, beautiful, gripping, groovy and just incredibly well structured and thought-out.

Now all we need is a new ALBUM!

I took me an unbelievable amount of time to get into the title track, actually just like the acoustic interpretations. I pretty much agree with everything you said there, both about Gorod in general and the title track.

By the way, have you seen this: http://www.metalinjection.net/tv/view/8108/gorod-2012-new-album-studio-update?
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Hits total: 7815 | This month: 10