Metal Storm logo
Metallica - Release New EP

Following the week long 30th Anniversary celebration, which included many guest appearances (Dave Mustaine, Jason Newsted, King Diamond, Scott Ian and many more) as well as the posting of unreleased songs from the Death Magnetic album, Metallica has officially released the EP Beyond Magnetic, which was originally emailed/sent to fan club members.

The band explains on their official website: "This week, we're releasing those four tracks through iTunes exclusively in North America and on iTunes and additional digital retailers in other parts of the world as the Beyond Magnetic EP. All four studio versions of these songs were sent to Met Club members for free immediately following their live debut on stage at the Fillmore and tomorrow they will be available to everyone via the magic of digital downloading. They are the rough mixes, unfinished to their original degree of mixing from March of 2008, and those of you with very keen senses of sound might recognize bits and pieces from the 'Mission Metallica' videos posted in the summer of 2008."

The Beyond Magnetic EP tracklist and cover art:

01. Hate Train
02. Just A Bullet Away
03. Hell And Back
04. Rebel Of Babylon

Source: metallica.com
Band profile: Metallica
Posted: 16.12.2011 by Rog-Mothoth

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 41   Visited by: 342 users
16.12.2011 - 13:29
JD
Account deleted
Old news.
16.12.2011 - 16:16
Fenrisborg
Account deleted
Are these new songs, or old and previously unreleased songs?
16.12.2011 - 17:16
marcha2510
EDWARD THE HEAD
Written by Guest on 16.12.2011 at 16:16

Are these new songs, or old and previously unreleased songs?

Previously unreleased songs.
----
EVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIL DEAD!
16.12.2011 - 18:26
liveordie

Stop stealing!!!
16.12.2011 - 19:50
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Written by liveordie on 16.12.2011 at 18:26

Stop stealing!!!

Stop stealing what?
16.12.2011 - 20:39
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Mindheist on 16.12.2011 at 19:50
Stop stealing what?

Innocent peoples' money?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.12.2011 - 21:27
Ahto

Although i dont care about their new stuff i'm glad that they are still around cause i want to see them live one more time before they disappear
16.12.2011 - 21:31
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.12.2011 at 20:39

Stop stealing what?

Innocent peoples' money?

Metallica stealing money?! Troy, son, gods don't steal.
16.12.2011 - 21:37
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Mindheist on 16.12.2011 at 21:31

Hermes.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.12.2011 - 22:15
JÄY
Metal slave
A must-have
16.12.2011 - 22:16
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Mindheist on 16.12.2011 at 21:31

Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.12.2011 at 20:39

Stop stealing what?

Innocent peoples' money?

From Wikipedia:
Hermes is the great messenger of the gods in Greek mythology and a guide to the Underworld. Hermes was born on Mount Kyllini in Arcadia. An Olympian god, he is also the patron of boundaries and of the travelers who cross them, of shepherds and cowherds, of the cunning of thieves, of orators and wit, of literature and poets, of athletics and sports, of weights and measures, of invention, and of commerce in general.

Geez I can't figure out this damn quote system.
16.12.2011 - 22:47
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Written by Guest on 16.12.2011 at 22:16

From Wikipedia:
Hermes is the great messenger of the gods in Greek mythology and a guide to the Underworld. Hermes was born on Mount Kyllini in Arcadia. An Olympian god, he is also the patron of boundaries and of the travelers who cross them, of shepherds and cowherds, of the cunning of thieves, of orators and wit, of literature and poets, of athletics and sports, of weights and measures, of invention, and of commerce in general.

hmmm tell me again, he's fictional right? I thought so.
16.12.2011 - 22:57
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Mindheist on 16.12.2011 at 22:47

From Wikipedia:

I'm gonna take a wild shot an say History isn't your best subject?
16.12.2011 - 23:10
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Written by Guest on 16.12.2011 at 22:57

From Wikipedia:

Lit, seriously, are you telling me that the myths and legends that embody the Greek mythology are real? That Hermes, the cunning trickster, does really exist? And that he truly was behind the "stealth" of Apollo's cattle?
16.12.2011 - 23:28
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Mindheist on 16.12.2011 at 23:10

Written by Guest on 16.12.2011 at 22:57

From Wikipedia:

Lit, seriously, are you telling me that the myths and legends that embody the Greek mythology are real? That Hermes, the cunning trickster, does really exist? And that he truly was behind the "stealth" of Apollo's cattle?

Irregardless if they were real or not, people did indeed worship them as gods and did believe in them and their traits. You said that Gods Don't Steal by proverbially comparing Metallica to any God you may or may not believe in. And thus, I brought up the fact that you were wrong about Gods not stealing, because in truth a God (Hermes) did steal or at least inspired Thievery. Saying Hermes and other Greek Gods weren't real is in no way different than saying the God or Gods you believe in isn't or aren't real.
16.12.2011 - 23:41
HeadStone

Good job Metallica
16.12.2011 - 23:43
Jeeers

Wierd conversation progression
17.12.2011 - 00:09
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Written by Guest on 16.12.2011 at 23:28

Irregardless if they were real or not, people did indeed worship them as gods and did believe in them and their traits. You said that Gods Don't Steal by proverbially comparing Metallica to any God you may or may not believe in. And thus, I brought up the fact that you were wrong about Gods not stealing, because in truth a God (Hermes) did steal or at least inspired Thievery. Saying Hermes and other Greek Gods weren't real is in no way different than saying the God or Gods you believe in isn't or aren't real.

The Greek mythology encloses stories, not sacred texts. Regardless of whether or not I believe in them, the fact is, it was created by insanely visionary philosophers and bards and not oracles or prophets just like the Arabian Nights. They were recorded in literary works as well as classical drama from Hesiod's to Homer's which excludes the idea of them being chronicled by a divine power, and to a greater extent the possibility that gods could steal. The Greeks used those myths to interpret life as it truly lies around them after their ancestors came up with a set of supreme beings to worship. Iliad and Odyssey are priceless diamonds but forgive me if I don't believe that the reason why lightning strikes is because somebody has angered Zeus or Apollo.

What I mean by metaphorically comparing Metallica to gods is that these guys have no longer anything to prove, they could team up with Eminem or Shakira and they would still remain kings of thrash. That's it. But I get your point though

EDIT: In order to avoid trolling here, and in case you would like to continue this discussion, PM me your response and I'd be happy to answer you back.

Sorry for getting off-topic everyone.
17.12.2011 - 00:27
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Mindheist on 17.12.2011 at 00:09

Written by Guest on 16.12.2011 at 23:28

The Greek mythology encloses stories, not sacred texts. Regardless of whether or not I believe in them, the fact is, it was created by insanely visionary philosophers and bards and not oracles or prophets just like the Arabian Nights. They were recorded in literary works as well as classical drama from Hesiod's to Homer's which excludes the idea of them being chronicled by a divine power, and to a greater extent the possibility that gods could steal. The Greeks used those myths to interpret life as it truly lies around them after their ancestors came up with a set of supreme beings to worship. Iliad and Odyssey are priceless diamonds but forgive me if I don't believe that the reason why lightning strikes is because somebody has angered Zeus or Apollo.

What I mean by metaphorically comparing Metallica to gods is that these guys have no longer anything to prove, they could team up with Eminem or Shakira and they would still remain kings of thrash. That's it. But I get your point though

EDIT: In order to avoid trolling, and in case you would like to continue this discussion, PM your response and I'd be happy to answer you back. .

Sorry for getting off-topic everyone.

Nevermind it. You got me. I surrender.
All mythology discussion aside, I don't think Metallica have been the kings of Thrash for a while now. Not since the Black Album.
I also can't help but notice a bit of irony in that statement: "they could team up with Eminem or Shakira and they would still remain kings of thrash." They could've teamed up with a Latina pop dancer or a white rapper for a collab project, but instead they teamed up with Lou Reed, guitarist/vocalist for one of the most influencial rock bands of the 60's and yet they came out with one of (if not THE) worst album of the decade.
17.12.2011 - 00:46
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Back on track...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.12.2011 - 00:51
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Written by Guest on 17.12.2011 at 00:27

Nevermind it. You got me. I surrender.
All mythology discussion aside, I don't think Metallica have been the kings of Thrash for a while now. Not since the Black Album.
I also can't help but notice a bit of irony in that statement: "they could team up with Eminem or Shakira and they would still remain kings of thrash." They could've teamed up with a Latina pop dancer or a white rapper for a collab project, but instead they teamed up with Lou Reed, guitarist/vocalist for one of the most influencial rock bands of the 60's and yet they came out with one of (if not THE) worst album of the decade.

Well, here's why I think they are untouchable. During their 30-year journey, they have released four timeless masterpieces that basically defined thrash metal. And sure after The Black Album they went downhill but no band has ever come even close to making an album in the vein of Puppets, Justice, Ride The Lightning or Kill'Em All. Back in the day when people thought that Motorhead, Sabbath, Priest and Diamond Head were the heaviest music could get, something called Metallica came into town and destroyed the world with amazing crushing riffs that no other band had it. And what about James' amazing vocals? Live in Russia in front of zillions can still manage to sing like a raging demon with enthralling growls and mesmerizing clean vocals. Certainly Dave couldn't have done it and, neither Tom nor John.

Metallica maybe will never succeed to recatch their early sound, and frankly I'm not even sure if they are even trying to; but one thing for sure, their contributions, popularity and success will forever stay carved in history. They will forever remain the band that got me into metal and that's the case for millions others. And dammit if bashing them is gonna make me a true metalhead then I'm fucking proud to be a poser.
17.12.2011 - 01:42
whatdeathbrings

Written by Ahto on 16.12.2011 at 21:27

Although i dont care about their new stuff i'm glad that they are still around cause i want to see them live one more time before they disappear

No! Its time to disappeeeaarr yeah yeahya
17.12.2011 - 02:40
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Quote:
Well, here's why I think they are untouchable. During their 30-year journey, they have released four timeless masterpieces that basically defined thrash metal. And sure after The Black Album they went downhill but no band has ever come even close to making an album in the vein of Puppets, Justice, Ride The Lightning or Kill'Em All. Back in the day when people thought that Motorhead, Sabbath, Priest and Diamond Head were the heaviest music could get, something called Metallica came into town and destroyed the world with amazing crushing riffs that no other band had it. And what about James' amazing vocals? Live in Russia in front of zillions can still manage to sing like a raging demon with enthralling growls and mesmerizing clean vocals. Certainly Dave couldn't have done it and, neither Tom nor John.

Metallica maybe will never succeed to recatch their early sound, and frankly I'm not even sure if they are even trying to; but one thing for sure, their contributions, popularity and success will forever stay carved in history. They will forever remain the band that got me into metal and that's the case for millions others. And dammit if bashing them is gonna make me a true metalhead then I'm fucking proud to be a poser.

I couldn't have said it any better. The Black Album is a masterpiece as well but people here on metalstorm are too afraid to admit it. No other album in history brought metal into the spotlight like this album - even if it wasn't as heavy as the previous releases - it was still amazing work.
17.12.2011 - 03:02
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by WorpeX on 17.12.2011 at 02:40
I couldn't have said it any better. The Black Album is a masterpiece as well but people here on metalstorm are too afraid to admit it. No other album in history brought metal into the spotlight like this album - even if it wasn't as heavy as the previous releases - it was still amazing work.

Calling the Black Album a "masterpiece" is totally subjective, so people can dislike it without having to "admit" to anything.

Though it's exactly because of the fact the album brought metal into the spotlight and more into the mainstream, that it's reviled so much.
17.12.2011 - 03:06
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Imma run to the store right now!
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
17.12.2011 - 03:21
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Written by Angelic Storm on 17.12.2011 at 03:02

Written by WorpeX on 17.12.2011 at 02:40

Calling the Black Album a "masterpiece" is totally subjective, so people can dislike it without having to "admit" to anything.

Though it's exactly because of the fact the album brought metal into the spotlight and more into the mainstream, that it's reviled so much.

The fact that people don't like it because its mainstream is exactly why I said that metalstorm members are afraid to admit it. This site has a clear bias towards the underground bands and a dislike for bands who are famous. Not that anything is wrong with this at all, i'm just pointing it out. I tend to agree with users on this site on most issues, but not this particular one.

"Masterpiece" isn't totally subjective. The Mona Lisa is a masterpiece but I personally think its hideous. The word is simply by definition "the artists best work" and even if someone doesn't particularly like it, that doesn't change popular opinion of it.
17.12.2011 - 03:34
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by WorpeX on 17.12.2011 at 03:21
The fact that people don't like it because its mainstream is exactly why I said that metalstorm members are afraid to admit it. This site has a clear bias towards the underground bands and a dislike for bands who are famous. Not that anything is wrong with this at all, i'm just pointing it out. I tend to agree with users on this site on most issues, but not this particular one.

"Masterpiece" isn't totally subjective. The Mona Lisa is a masterpiece but I personally think its hideous. The word is simply by definition "the artists best work" and even if someone doesn't particularly like it, that doesn't change popular opinion of it.

I don't doubt that there are people who deep down like the album, but would never admit it publicly. That doesn't mean that it can't be dislliked in a genuine capacity though. You can't say that everyone who doesn't like is just afraid to admit that they do.

Popular opinion, whether that be in the mainstream, or on a site like this, cannot be used to accurately measure the quality of music. Therefore, the Black Album being Metallica's "best work" can only ever be stated as an opinion, not as a matter of fact.
17.12.2011 - 03:39
Mindheist
No Longer Human

This site has a clear bias towards the underground bands and a dislike for bands who are famous.

Spot-on.
17.12.2011 - 06:03
Lit.
Account deleted

This site has a clear bias towards the underground bands and a dislike for bands who are famous.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one that noticed that.
17.12.2011 - 06:36
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 17.12.2011 at 06:03

I'm so glad I'm not the only one that noticed that.

Its been that way for awhile...

Underground Bands = Fuckin \/
Famous Bands = Fuckin OMGWTFFMLFTW over 9000 occupy Toronto, Wall Street, Tokyo, Obama...

Hits total: 10866 | This month: 6