Metal Storm logo
Retro band

17.12.2011 - 02:35
arwestromen

Didn't know if I should've posted this in the rock forum or here but...meh

For a few years now (2 at least) alot of bands have come up with a style very similar to late 70's early 80's metal bands or even sounding like the early 70's bands like deep purple or Led Zeppeling.

I really enjoy this kind of music direction but some times it feels like they just ripping of classic metal bands

what do you think? Do you like it? hate it? thinks it unoriginal and lazy?

Some bands with this retro sound that I've heard of is:

Graveyard
Ghost
Enforcer
White Wizzard
H.E.A.T.
Witchcraft
Horisont
The Devil's Blood:
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
17.12.2011 - 12:14
vezzy
Stallmanite
Don't forget to add Wolf.

I generally don't listen to traditional revivalist metal because I often find it dull and generic.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
17.12.2011 - 15:51
arwestromen

Written by vezzy on 17.12.2011 at 12:14

Don't forget to add Wolf.

I generally don't listen to traditional revivalist metal because I often find it dull and generic.

Oh yeah forgot about them.....true some bands do get "old" quite fast...like White wizzard but that's mostly because the band isn't that good in the first place
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
18.12.2011 - 07:07
Aluminum Alloy

I dunno, I have Graveyard's Hsingen Blues, and while there's a couple good songs (Uncomfortably Numb is probably the best), I often can't help wondering why I don't just go ahead and listen to Led Zeppelin. They did it first, and they did it better.

Until these types of bands starting taking these old styles and improving, rather than just rehashing, they'll never be worth much.
----
Here at the edge of this world
Here I gaze at a pantheon of oak, a citadel of stone
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God...
Then God is not dead
18.12.2011 - 21:02
king_matt

Don't forget The Sword.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
20.12.2011 - 23:47
gav1230

I like that new bands are trying to bring back oldschool metal but I wish some more talented people would try.
21.12.2011 - 05:22
bj_waters

What about bands like Airbourne and Wolfmother? I haven't really listened to them and I understand that they may not be metal, but I believe they're taking ideas from AC/DC, Led Zepplin, and other early heavy metal/hard rock sounds.

And isn't Ravage kind of doing the same thing?
08.01.2012 - 03:01
lordchadi

I prefer to listen to the masters
the old bands are sooo talent & skillful than these bands
08.01.2012 - 03:26
NLthrasher

I don't really like most of these bands, I like the old masters far better. The only one I think is quite good is Ghost, they are kind of revivalist but they also give the music their own spin.
12.01.2012 - 19:53
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
Written by king_matt on 18.12.2011 at 21:02

Don't forget The Sword.

Hell yeah, good band.