04. Culture Of Entitlement
05. Hammerfist
06. Decoded
07. Evolutionary Dead End
08. Arctic Despair
09. Hegemony
10. Liberation/Salvation
11. Collapse

Blastanus is a Finnish death metal group worth remembering. Maybe not entirely for their music, but definitely for their name: Blastanus. And anything plus "anus" equals half a lol at least.

When it comes to living up to their name, these guys have the "Blast" half down to a science. There are a lot of blast beats on this. And somewhat surprisingly, without getting too repetitive, they sound great throughout. The drummer has chops and the production (which was done superbly) brings him out accordingly.

This only kind of lives up to the "anus" half, though. "Anus" shares with its more abused cousin, the word "asshole", some connotation of offensiveness. Collapse is brutal and ugly, but ultimately most of it hasn't got all that much that's new or ear-straining to it. By death metal standards, most of it is pretty safe. It's heard-it-before kind of stuff.

Not that that really matters when the music is executed really well. And, in the end, Collapse is brutal shit played really well. So if you don't care too much about uniqueness and you just want to go around stomping on things to some dirty death metal, this absolutely won't disappoint...

...Not much, at least. Thing is, there are a few really creative moments on this. But, by the end, they feel more like appetizers than meals. The intro and the closer, for instance, are brilliant. And they've got motherfucking saxophones in them. Anus. Wtf, sonically-psychotic moments blend seamlessly with some really filthy, barbaric sounding grind-infused death riffs. If this album isn't, as a whole, a drop-everything sort of deal, the intro and closer both are.

Written on 19.12.2011 by Wormdrink's real name is George and he's an American.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 116 users
19.12.2011 - 10:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
According to the world wide web this is more of a tech-death album whereas their debut is more along the lines of deathgrind.

Awesome name, but I doubt I'll bother with them. I've been straying from this kind of extreme metal recently.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
19.12.2011 - 11:01
wormdrink414

Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.12.2011 at 10:58

According to the world wide web this is more of a tech-death album whereas their debut is more along the lines of deathgrind.

Awesome name, but I doubt I'll bother with them. I've been straying from this kind of extreme metal recently.

There's some wanky solos, but most of the riffs seem more like simple, grind-influenced death to me.
19.12.2011 - 11:04
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by wormdrink414 on 19.12.2011 at 11:01
There's some wanky solos, but most of the riffs seem more like simple, grind-influenced death to me.

Are we talking Wormrot or Landmine Marathon.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
19.12.2011 - 11:06
wormdrink414

Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.12.2011 at 11:04

Written by wormdrink414 on 19.12.2011 at 11:01

Are we talking Wormrot or Landmine Marathon.

Definitely closer to Landmine.
19.12.2011 - 11:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by wormdrink414 on 19.12.2011 at 11:06
Definitely closer to Landmine.

Damn. Every time I tell myself I'm not going to bother with something I usually find a way to convince myself to at least consider it.

Not enough time in the world. But ya, I'll probably give this a chance now...
----
19.12.2011 - 11:50
Kuroboshi

Wait, Troy, you don't like Wormrot? o.O

Fun and great review as always! Have to much other stuff to check out and do right now to have the time though...
19.12.2011 - 21:16
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Kuroboshi on 19.12.2011 at 11:50
Wait, Troy, you don't like Wormrot? o.O

Oh I do, I just wanted to see where Blastanus fell in the grind spectrum (death with grind influence or grind with death influence).
----
20.12.2011 - 04:50
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
at first i struggled pronouncing the name, then i read the review and was like
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS

Hits total: 2877 | This month: 7