07. Sanctuary [US release]
08. Charlotte The Harlot
09. Iron Maiden

Disc II [1995 reissue bonus]
01. Sanctuary
02. Burning Ambition
03. Drifter [live]
04. I've Got The Fire [Montrose cover]

This album is from the jurassic period of Iron Maiden, for the band's singer back in the days was not Bruce Dickinson, who was lead-singer for the band Samson at that time. Instead you will hear Paul Di'Anno, who has a fiery, kind of raw voice. With screaming guitars and the great bass-playing, which Steve Harris is famous for, Iron Maiden recorded their self titled debut.

Eight songs of raw power New Wave Of British Heavy Metal let Iron Maiden rise to this genre's headlining act in 1980. When I came into touch with Iron Maiden songs I decided to buy all their albums no matter what song or sound they contain. That was in the year 1996, but I was not familiar with the fact that Iron Maiden had a different lead singer before Bruce Dickinson as well as at the current time. So this album was a big surprise for me, but a real good one. As all fans know this album contains some songs that are famous live classics nowadays. For example the band's hymn 'Iron Maiden' as well as 'Running Free' and 'Prowler', which was re-recorded in 1988 with Bruce Dickinson.

This album though equipped with the voice of Paul Di'Anno contains really some pearls of Iron Maiden's works: 'Prowler' and 'Running Free', which are great at live performances. 'Transylvania', a fast instrumental and the hymn 'Iron Maiden', which is truly great for any encore at a concert. For all those who are yet Iron Maiden fans but do not own this album, I want to strongly recommend it because it has all Iron Maiden in known for, missing just the one and only Bruce Dickinson.

Written by Pierre Tombale | 29.09.2003

Guest review by
RavenLord
Rating:
For my first review, I was faced with a dilemma as to which album to look at. The answer lay in my current favourite band, and where better to start than the very beginning, in East London, 1980?

This is proto-Maiden v.1.1. There, that's the review right there. What, you want more? Okay. This album is a bit of a mixed bag at times. Taken in context, it's bloody amazing. Steve Harris wrote the majority of the songs here when he was a teenager, and the complexity of the songs for the era and age of composer amazes me. Unfortunately, the lyrics are not as polished as on later releases, and gems on this disc like "Prowler" pale in comparison when compared to "Caught Somewhere in Time" or "The Trooper."

Read more ››
published 04.08.2006 | Comments (25)

Guest review by
Arian Totalis
Rating:
After years of difficulty, Steve Harris must have been quite exhilarated when he learned that Maiden would have the opportunity to finally record their first full length album. While many fans may argue that this is one of Iron Maiden's most classic albums, Steve Harris himself was unhappy with the end result, thinking that there were many improvements that could have been made but simply weren't. Whether or not you like this album though, this is their debut album, so thus the classic words were rendered: "Iron Maiden can't be fought, Iron Maiden can't be sought".

Read more ››
published 23.02.2010 | Comments (18)

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 102 users
15.10.2006 - 18:13
Rating: 8
Dam3k

The review doesn't correspond with the mark lol...
----

16.12.2006 - 08:44
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
"missing just the one and only Bruce Dickinson"
I agree with you completely, and the review is indeed good.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
17.04.2008 - 20:11
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
i think its a good album cause bruce is not there to do farce. its really amazing this album and if paul wasnt now iron maiden wasnt anything. any of maiden fans have an opinion about "Holy Smoke" music video? how unmetal is that ?

my vote is 10 for this album
26.05.2008 - 23:47
Rating: 9
juanopereira

Why you gave the album just a 7.5? You said only good things about this album. I think it's a very low rank and the album is great, it deserves an 8.5 or a 9 at least.
29.05.2008 - 02:16
Rating: 10
Megadeth_Matt

Deserves a 9. Strange World is the greatest Maiden song EVER CREATED!!!
----
THE MAN
29.05.2008 - 12:52
Rating: 9
BloodTears
ANA-thema
This is a very strong album, and the one that got me hooked on Maiden.
Its one of the best albums of all time even if Harris thinks the productions sucks.

Every song is beautiful and thats enough to make it a brilliant album.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
29.05.2008 - 13:13
Warman
Erotic Stains
This certainly is one of my absolut favourite albums and one of the most important for me. It has put a mark on me, on my early teenage years. Songs like Prowler, Remember Tomorrow, Phantom of the Opera, Transylvania, Strange World and Charlotte the Harlot will always be sacred tunes for me.
----
28.11.2008 - 11:43
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Great Album a 9 would be fair (Prowler, Remember Tomorrow, Phantom of the opera, Transylvania, Iron Maiden) are classics
23.07.2011 - 01:30
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Great album. The review doesn't correspond with the rating though. I can't also imagine how the reviewer didn't mention "Phantom Of The Opera" in the classics.
22.07.2015 - 19:24
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I had same in 2005 I found out band had 3 singers total Lol even I knew band before , shame on me
BTW Doogie might be not Blaze, but band chose Blaze
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 5013 | This month: 4