Metal Storm logo
Best Black Metal albums of 2011

Original post

Posted by The Turbanator, 24.12.2011 - 20:25
Apologies if there's already a thread about it. What's your favorite BM releases of this year? Not necessarily a pure BM release.

Top of my head :

Alpha Eri by Alrakis
Celestial Lineage by Wolves In The Throne Room
Torn Beyond Reason by Woods Of Desolation
Mammal by Altar of Plagues
777 Sect(s) and 777 Desanctifaction by Blut Aus Nord
Noregs Vaapen by Taake
Femundsmarka - Eine Reise in drei Kapiteln by Waldgefluester
Dort, wo das alte Böse ruht by Aaskeria
Passion by Anaal Nathrakh
Fallen by Burzum
Diotima by Krallice
Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa by Moonsorrow
Vlast by N.K.V.D
Kosmonument by Oranssi Pazuzu
Redemption at the Puritan's Hand by Primordial
Heart of Darkness by TOBC
Beyond the Watercolor Sunset, We Feel New Life by Verwustung
Epoch by Fen
Abzu by Absu
20.04.2012 - 16:16
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Savopipo on 20.04.2012 at 08:23
The question is if "proper" is a good thing in black metal. I respect of course that people think that (and evolution will of course in the long run take the best parts of black metal and incorporate them in as a part in something else) but imo "proper" is a bit of a turn off where black metal is concerned. As a side note I must say that to me punk has nothing to do with the USA (no offense intended).

Are you one of those people who claim that everything forward-thinking in black metal is "hipster" and "untrue"?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
20.04.2012 - 16:31
Savopipo

Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.04.2012 at 16:16

Written by Savopipo on 20.04.2012 at 08:23
The question is if "proper" is a good thing in black metal. I respect of course that people think that (and evolution will of course in the long run take the best parts of black metal and incorporate them in as a part in something else) but imo "proper" is a bit of a turn off where black metal is concerned. As a side note I must say that to me punk has nothing to do with the USA (no offense intended).

Are you one of those people who claim that everything forward-thinking in black metal is "hipster" and "untrue"?

No not at all, quite the opposite. I believe black metal must progress otherwise it will only be a sad and depressing thing from the past. But I do believe that it's possible to progress while maintaining some of that "over the top" feeling that was the mark of the pioneers.
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com