05. MDCC A.D. Pt. I
06. MDCC A.D. Pt. II
07. P.I.R.
08. No Trace Of Madness
09. Not Only Women Bleed
10. Death By My Side
11. The Untouchables
12. The Untouchables [2004 version] [digipack bonus]

It's good sometime to have some bands in Europe who want to play Power Metal but are able to understand to that it can be a good thing to do something different than all the ones who chose to do "happy flower" Power. This is the case of the Swedish guys of Nostradameus who release this year their 5th album, "Pathway", a really cool release of thrashy Power. It's maybe not perfect yet but believe me, it's good to have this kind of CD in our hands sometime?

Nostradameus was a band of Melodic Power Metal in the past but they always had good strong heavy riffs in their compositions. However, even if it's still Power Metal, "Pathway" is a lot more oriented toward Thrash and "US Power", as an example the singer can even sing with an aggressive voice and it's great because it doesn't sound so "happy" and so boring at the end. We have power here, we have energy and even anger sometime and really it's good to listen to this album. Plus, musically speaking, the riffs are heavy and aggressive, it's not a simple double drum bass Power Metal, there is something more here, definitely.

On the other hand, and even if the majority of the songs and the production are really good, we're still able to find some choruses and melodies which sound a bit too much like some basic European Power Metal. It's not a big problem because the album is good anyway but yes, too bad that the band didn't find the way to remove all those sonorities. Though, don't worry, it's just a little problem and in general, the album is good and clearly better than a lot of other European Power Metal releases. If you like heavy Power or simply, the so called "US Power" Metal, you'll have to check this release.

"Pathway" is not a revolution, but it's a really good album of thrashy Power Metal. If you're bored by "sweety" Power, have a look on this one, you'll probably have some good surprises. With this album, Nostradameus confirms all its ability to write great music. If our guys follow this way, I'm sure that a lot of good things will come for them!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by Jeff | 09.03.2007

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 17 users
27.12.2011 - 05:00
NLthrasher

I will check this release, I'm in the mood for a good thrashy power metal band

Hits total: 4455 | This month: 7