Metal Storm logo
Biggest Influences As A Musician

Original post

Posted by spirit_inblack, 17.10.2006 - 04:27
I am using this thread to express your feelings for the musicians that inspire/influence you, no matter what instrument you play. I play guitar, and my biggest influences are (in no specific order) Tony Iommi, Dave Mustaine, Kerry King/Jeff Hanneman, Jon Schaffer, Trey Azagthoth, Mikael Akerfeldt/Peter Lindgren, Chuck Shuldiner, Ralph Santolla, Murray/Smith of Maiden, John Petrucci,and of course, Dimebag.
Most notable out of that list are Jon Schaffer, Dimebag, Akerfeldt, Petrucci, and Murray/Smith. They are unbelievable. Most say that Dimebag is overrated, and he probably is, but his style has influenced me and his death saddened me a lot. It's hard to see a legend like that leave in such a way. I like Jon Schaffer a lot because of the technicality and precision he uses with his rythym guitar. Not to mention that he is one of the riff-masters of metal. I can't express how much these guitarist mean to me, they have influenced me musically and personally, in a way I can't really explain.
14.06.2009 - 17:38
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.06.2009 at 17:36

Written by Deadmeat on 14.06.2009 at 17:09

...and Marco Foddis (Pestilence).

Aha a drummer that taught himself to drum. He only took up drumming when they formed Pestilence. And if I am not mistaken his original instrument was piano or something like that.

haha my first was piano too! basically what i like the most on this guy is his vibe, you know the rythm he gives to the songs... not as much as cavalera but he is great too!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
14.06.2009 - 17:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Deadmeat on 14.06.2009 at 17:38

Aha a drummer that taught himself to drum. He only took up drumming when they formed Pestilence. And if I am not mistaken his original instrument was piano or something like that.

haha my first was piano too! basically what i like the most on this guy is his vibe, you know the rythm he gives to the songs... not as much as cavalera but he is great too!

Rumour has it that after Pestilence stopped he stopped playing music altogether.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.06.2009 - 17:41
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.06.2009 at 17:39

Written by Deadmeat on 14.06.2009 at 17:38

Rumour has it that after Pestilence stopped he stopped playing music altogether.

yeah i checked his history a while ago and dint find something more after pestilence...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
17.06.2009 - 02:09
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
My influences for my guitar playing are probably Hetfield, punk stuff like the Ramones and the Misfits, the Gotheburg music scene, thrash metal and Iron Maiden. I don't play many songs by other groups, I like inventing my own riffs and the above mentionned scenes are what inspire me the most.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
17.06.2009 - 14:23
Warlock84
My biggest influences in all equality are Dimebag, Jon Schaffer, Jesper & Bjorn of In Flames, Zakk Wylde, Jean-François Dagenais of Kataklysm/ Ex-Deo, and Johan Söderberg & Olavi Mikkonen of Amon Amarth. Dimebag for his unique and gifted style that has been completely unmatched, and for his fun-loving personality. Jon Schaffer for his speed, technicality, and amazing composition. Zakk for his insane solos and bludgeoning riffs. Jean-Francois, Johan & Olavi for their driving melodic-death riffage, and Jesper & Bjorn for their dual guitar sound and song structure.
----
All we are is the passion that burns inside us