Metal Storm logo
New Album Recommendations 2012

Original post

Posted by Boxcar Willy, 20.02.2012 - 04:51
Written by R'Vannith on 20.02.2012 at 04:48

Written by Boxcar Willy on 20.02.2012 at 04:37

At the graves?

lol

Ya, perhaps they named themselves after the King Diamond track?

Or they really like At The Gates.
26.12.2012 - 09:31
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Calgary's thrashers Breed of War came up with their brand new album Blood.

Bandcamp.
28.12.2012 - 19:26
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Annisokay Released an album this year "The Lucid Dream[er]"

It's some decent Emo metalcore.

----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
29.12.2012 - 20:03
Misfit74

"It's some decent Emo metalcore."

Hahahaha! There is something so totally wrong with that statement.
29.12.2012 - 23:15
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Misfit74 on 29.12.2012 at 20:03

Bah, phoey on you

If you ever played any old Playstation 2 games, this sounds like it could be on a soundtrack to one of them. Probably why I like it so much.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
30.12.2012 - 16:16
InnerSelf
proofread free
Dirty BM, enjoyed it a lot.
Bandcamp
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
01.01.2013 - 07:47
Misfit74

Written by Boxcar Willy on 29.12.2012 at 23:15

Written by Misfit74 on 29.12.2012 at 20:03

Bah, phoey on you

If you ever played any old Playstation 2 games, this sounds like it could be on a soundtrack to one of them. Probably why I like it so much.

Come to think of it, Avenged Sevenfold did a few songs on one of the old (2005?) PS2 Madden games...so yeah. That makes some sense of sorts.
01.01.2013 - 10:33
psykometal
A staff guy...
This is a kick ass death metal album with some kick ass artwork.

Sulphur Aeon - Swallowed By The Ocean's Tide
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

02.01.2013 - 23:50
Edmund Fogg

Anybody in the mood for some Pagan?

Munruthel - CREEDamage

Bandcamp
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
05.01.2013 - 21:51
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
If Godflesh made black metal it would sound like this band / album:

Wish I could offer you more songs off this album, but I can't. It's really fucking good though.
06.01.2013 - 01:28
The Turbanator

Written by Guest on 05.01.2013 at 21:51

If Godflesh made black metal it would sound like this band / album:

Wish I could offer you more songs off this album, but I can't. It's really fucking good though.

Holy fuck that's amazing. Cheers for this! Just checked.. all their (his?) songs are untitled haha
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
06.01.2013 - 01:30
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by The Turbanator on 06.01.2013 at 01:28

Holy fuck that's amazing. Cheers for this! Just checked.. all their (his?) songs are untitled haha

On this album they appear to be
10.01.2013 - 18:17
The Turbanator

Just found out about this. DSBM band from Russia. 2012 release. Nothing on M/A about this band.

----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
10.01.2013 - 22:53
The Turbanator

Also just found out about this band called Okera. Melodic Doom Metal from Australia. This is their debut album, called "A Beautiful Dystopia". Worth checking out.

----
10.01.2013 - 23:17
IronAngel

Written by The Turbanator on 10.01.2013 at 22:53

Also just found out about this band called Okera. Melodic Doom Metal from Australia. This is their debut album, called "A Beautiful Dystopia". Worth checking out.

I found it too generic and overproduced. And it was of the "Novembers Doom", almost melodeath school of doom that I just don't care for. Had some decent melodies though. Daylight Dies was better in this similar style, IMO.
11.01.2013 - 03:12
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Female-fronted Powerviolence from Boston.

http://cerce.bandcamp.com/album/cerce

----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
11.01.2013 - 03:14
Edmund Fogg

Written by Boxcar Willy on 11.01.2013 at 03:12

Female-fronted Powerviolence from Boston.

http://cerce.bandcamp.com/album/cerce

YES! That is one Ballsy chick, Great band!
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
11.01.2013 - 16:56
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
http://galdra.bandcamp.com/album/galdra

Some straight up black from Canada Eh?

----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
12.01.2013 - 11:29
The Turbanator

Just found out about this band Porta Nigras. Their debut album, is really good.

"Billed as "Decadent Dark Metal" by the excellent taste-havers over at Debemur Morti Productions, Porta Nigra have just graced the world with their debut full-length recording. Fin De Siècle appeared in Europe a couple months ago and has just made its way to American shores this week. The title translates to "end of the century," but its meaning delves much further into themes of decadence and the overall degradation of society associated with European mindsets at the close of the 19th century. The sound swells with a culturally refined version of black-dark aggression, a little like Rotting Christ in a wine bar or Alcest in an absinthe-fueled fury. But really, comparisons won't do justice to the seven solid songs that fill out the record.

Conveniently, you won't have to rely on anyone's half-lucid attempt at describing the German band's engaging 50 minutes of velvet terror. Here at Decibel, we're giving you a listen to the whole record. So stream before you buy. Then go out and spend like civilization was crumbling over your head, all western currency was drained of every bit of its former worth, and the fascists were already scratching at your door. Cuz, hey, just about nothing in that last sentence is hypothetical."

Full album streaming here :

http://www.decibelmagazine.com/featured/full-album-stream-porta-nigras-fin-de-siecle/
----
12.01.2013 - 15:53
IronAngel

Just came across Plague Widow's EP. Grind/Death, a fairly demented sound. I guess this is what Joe would describe as ambient texturing. The drums are fucking sweet.

12.01.2013 - 17:02
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by IronAngel on 10.01.2013 at 23:17

Written by The Turbanator on 10.01.2013 at 22:53

I found it too generic and overproduced.

Ehh, overproduced? The sound is rather unpolished by today's standards and even the instrumental performance is pretty 'live'.

I agree their sound is generic but the songs are pretty good throughout. Worth checking out for doomsters.
12.01.2013 - 17:13
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by IronAngel on 12.01.2013 at 15:53
The drums are fucking sweet.

Urgh, I thought the drums were fucking terrible. Awful sound.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
12.01.2013 - 17:27
IronAngel

Written by Risto on 12.01.2013 at 17:02

Ehh, overproduced? The sound is rather unpolished by today's standards and even the instrumental performance is pretty 'live'.

Mm, I remembered it sounded even sleeker than this. Haven't played the album in months. But I remembered correctly that it was awfully lightweight, lacking the balls, grime and groove that makes good death doom. It's not bad, it's just mediocre. In a year of about a dozen very good death doom or funeral doom albums, it doesn't make the cut. If you've already heard Faal, Monolithe, Profetus, Saturnus, The 11th Hour, Derkéta, Anhedonist, Hooded Menace, Lurk, Inverloch, Indesinence, Evoken, Worship, Towards Darkness, Abske Fides, Hellvetron, Vulgaari and Nachtvorst, I'm not sure what you'd get out of Okera.

Doctor: you just have no taste!
12.01.2013 - 17:36
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
If you mean poor taste as in being bad at appreciating extremely badly produced drums, then yeah... I suck at that. It was a decent listening but the drums ruined everything.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
12.01.2013 - 17:46
Paz

True, through these drums my ears bleed... Nice dissonant riffs though.
12.01.2013 - 18:17
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I have to agree, the drums sound very weird. Quite detached from the rest of the sound as they're too far too foregrounded. Drums should be behind the music, not in front it. All I hear is "pita-pata-pita-pata pita-pata" and so on.
12.01.2013 - 18:39
Paz

I see no mention about Rahu's debiut album called The Quest for the Vajra of Shadows. Great lo-fi black with excellent songwriting from Finland.

PS. Orgasmic cover art-work too.
12.01.2013 - 19:03
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Paz on 12.01.2013 at 18:39

I see no mention about Rahu's debiut album called The Quest for the Vajra of Shadows. Great lo-fi black with excellent songwriting from Finland.
PS. Orgasmic cover art-work too.

That was very nice.

Actually, I've heard this before. I thought it sounded familiar. Saw someone mention it on Facebook once and checked out the song. I never did grab the whole album.
12.01.2013 - 19:22
Paz

Written by Guest on 12.01.2013 at 19:03

That was very nice.

Actually, I've heard this before. I thought it sounded familiar. Saw someone mention it on Facebook once and checked out the song. I never did grab the whole album.

One of the better bm albums I've heard last year. Highly recommend!
15.01.2013 - 19:41
Vombatus
Potorro
http://skumlord.bandcamp.com/

Discovered this sometime ago on the articles Troy used to write about underground bands.... checked it out again, and fetid black metal is still pretty damn awesome !
15.01.2013 - 20:33
The Turbanator

Written by Paz on 12.01.2013 at 19:22

Written by Guest on 12.01.2013 at 19:03

That was very nice.

One of the better bm albums I've heard last year. Highly recommend!

Really good. Thanks for this. So many good albums of 2012 I've just discovered haha.
----