Metal Storm logo
A humble thread to fix my playlist... and possibly yours

17.10.2006 - 18:28
Xaphiris
Hello metalstormers!

I created this thread to help me solve a problem. If you suffer the same symptoms, it may help you too.

The diagnosis:
Accute Metal-Head-Disarray

The symptoms are:
-mostly obscure bands on hard-drive
-countinued frustration upon playing the same old songs over and over
-sense of redundancy due to new material rarely/never coming to life
-loss of will to check up progress of really cool bands

If left untreated, this condition may lead to the sufferer's complete loss of interest and insight on several kick-ass metal bands. [tragic AMHD scenario]

Possible treatment:
A daily dosage of 100% good metal, administerred aurally.

This happened to me after spending too much time listening to underground, obscure and semi-obscure bands almost all the time. I really miss listening to bigger bands like Iron Maiden, Kreator, Burzum, Therion etc. Thus I ask you, fellow metalstormers to each comprise a list of music to recover.

I'd appreciate it if you'd keep your ambitious affections towards obscure bands back and enumerate only bigger bands [maybe even comment on them in a line or to max.]. Users please post one thread max, constantly editing it to add to the list [deleting an old post while keepig its contents alive in the new one is a way to keep yourself in the front of the list].

P.S. As soon as this threat reaches its goal and people will post very rarely, i'll have it locked, preferably kept for others to view. Should it become useless, I'll have it removed.

Thanks!
----
17.10.2006 - 19:19
Damnated
Churchburner
Nowadays I listen 99% to deeply underground bands, however, I'll post something good

doom

my current fav band, Uaral (pretty obscure, with only one album out)
The 3rd And The Mortal (In This Room is their best imo)
Evoken (awsome death/doom)
Nortt (funeral doom with a mix of black metal)
Dolorian (dark doom with some black influences. the music really can't be described)
Sunn O))) (drone doom. White2 being their best)

prog

Riverside (Second Life Sindrome is amazing, more rock then metal though)
Porcupine Tree (everything, their recent stuff is more metalish)

post-rock/experimental not metal, but worth listening to bands like Godspeed You Black Emperor! (everything is good), Sigur Ros (the vocals are desturbing sometimes, but nevertheless), Boris (their Flood album, the rest is not post rock)

death nothing!

black it's really hard to mention non-obscure bands, but lets see some

Negura Bunget (Maiestru Sfetnic and OM are great albums)
Blut Aus Nord (industrial, ambient black, get The Work Wich Transforms God)
Summoning (atmospheric metal, with some black roots)
Leviathan (from the states, preferably The Tenth Sub Level Of Suicide and/or Tentacles of Whorror, the style is ambient black)
Xasthur (similar to the previous, only a bigger emphasis on despair, has 4 great albums: Telepathic With The Deceased, To Violate the Oblivious, The Funeral Of Being and Sublimal Genocide)

Velvet Cacoon (again ambient/black, their album Genevieve is amazing)
Lurker Of Chalice (although labelled as ambient black, it has really nothing to do with the genre, but it is amazing, you have to get the self titled album! pretty obscure though)

Drudkh (getting some crdeit nowadays, is a very good folk/black band, every album is great, the peek is Autumn Aurora for me)
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
17.10.2006 - 19:28
Baz Anderson
staff
big bands?

well for extreme metal theres Emperor and Immortal, the two big black metal bands
Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, Vader maybe on the big death metal bands side

heavy metal and power metal - the biggest bands include Angra, Blind Guardian, Edguy, Gamma Ray, Helloween, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Primal Fear and Rhapsody Of Fire possibly

its hard to tell though what you are looking for, any specific types of metal you want big bands for?
17.10.2006 - 20:52
jadawal
I know exactly what you mean Bluecifer, the same thign happens to me! Haha, but I'll just list off some bands of random genres that are on my hard-drive now, they're all pretty famous and well-known, most of them I think.

Amon Amarth
Anorexia Nervosa
Athiest
Blind Guardian
Camel
Catamenia
Darkthrone
Death
Diabolical Masquerade
Ensiferum
Enslaved
Eternal Tears of Sorrow
Finntroll
Flogging Molly
Gojira
Gogoroth
Iced Earth
Immortal
Kalmah
Korpiklaani
Mayhem
Megadeth
Mortiis
Nightwish
Opeth
Orphaned Land
Pink Floyd
The Pogues
Porcupine Tree
Quo Vadis
Rhapsody of Fire
Slayer
Therion
Unleashed

That's a pretty nice set of bands actually!
18.10.2006 - 00:09
Xaphiris
Written by jadawal on 17.10.2006 at 20:52

I know exactly what you mean Bluecifer, the same thign happens to me!

Then you know what its like... to my shame I must admit that it is 2006 and I am struggling with a 40 GB hard-drive which normally shouldn't bee so chucked full of small bands like it is. In the past days I've deleted 30-40 bands to free some space. I gained around 4 GBs of space.

I also noticed that a lot of these little bands are side-projects by greater artists. Bloodbath and Demons & Wizards are here to stay, yet is it just me, or do other people get bored of side projects quicker as well?
----
18.10.2006 - 00:27
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Xaphiris on 18.10.2006 at 00:09

I also noticed that a lot of these little bands are side-projects by greater artists. Bloodbath and Demons & Wizards are here to stay, yet is it just me, or do other people get bored of side projects quicker as well?

it is relative. if the sideproject is different from the main band, then it's ok. but nowadays it's such a trend to make side projects, the qantity being important, not the quality. Swanö is the only musician, who made a ton of bands, and every one of them is orginal and great.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
18.10.2006 - 00:30
Vidrageon
Account deleted
Swanö is unique in that sense, though, like...Dream Theater sideprojects...can become really fucking mundane...fast.

I'm in a period where obscure and mainstream is just a blur, I can no longer tell what bands I listen to are mainstream or underground...well, yes, there's underground and there's 'underground', when I say mainstream I'm thinking Bloodbath/Blind Guardian mainstream and not Iron Maiden/In Flames mainstream.
18.10.2006 - 00:41
Damnated
Churchburner
basicly every metal band is underground, as mainstream are the Chili Peppers or Paris Hilton.
----

18.10.2006 - 01:39
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
More Mainstream Metal List Huh? Here ya go, I'll even list a Mix compalation list.

1.Shadows Fall-The Light that Blinds
2.Dream Theater-In the Name of God
3.MegaDeth-Into the Lungs of Hell
4.Shadows Fall-Casting Shade
5.Metalica-Fight Fire with Fire
6.Metalica-One
7.Iron Maiden-Number of the Beast
8.Iron Maiden-Wasted years.
9.Judas Priest-Breakin The Law
10.Judas Priest-The Painkiller
11.Judas Priest-Ram it down

There ya go, some classics and it's all Mainstream. A daily Dose of this'll get you back in shape.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
18.10.2006 - 01:47
Xaphiris
Written by Damnated on 18.10.2006 at 00:41

basicly every metal band is underground, as mainstream are the Chili Peppers or Paris Hilton.

Dude, I think you're getting waaaay too kvlt. What you need is a 2007 Wacken Open Air, hehe...
----
18.10.2006 - 01:53
Xaphiris
Has anyone ever know in advance they'll quickly get bored of a band after first listens, but before getting hooked on their tunes? I have a few examples: Entwine and Throes Of Dawn. They're great in what they do but people change... [they're off my hard-drive as of now]
----
18.10.2006 - 05:17
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Unfortunately, I suffer from the very same problem. I have over 25 gigabytes of metal music currently stored on my computer. There is so much music, that I don't know what to listen to on a regular basis. Everytime I get on my computer and I want to listen to some music, I quickly loose interest as my mind suddenly speaks "What in god's name am I supposed to listen to?" However, there are some bands that I simply love to listen to. Carcass, Exhumed, and Impaled never get old for me. As of right now, I am currently wondering avant garde metal, and the bands I recommend from that genre are Faith No More, Gorguts, and !T.O.O.H.!
18.10.2006 - 13:03
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
I agree here. I currently have a list of 220 different bands, and those are the ones that I do not own on CD. So that means, I have 220 bands to chose from everytime I get only. I usually just press a key on my keyboard, and then I press down while I have my eyes closed, and see whatever band pops up.

I'd suggest you listen more to:

Behemoth,
Mithras,
Daath,
Sadus,
Testament,
Grave,
Emtombed,
Green Carnation,
Morbid Saint,
Nevermore,
Wormphlegm,
Evoken,
Vader,
Vio-Lence,
Witchfinder General.

That should be enough for the moment.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
18.10.2006 - 14:22
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I think nevermore gets kind of old quickly.it happened to me.
and well,as for bluecifer you should try out the underground metal community here with bands like tiarra (recommended for guys bored of gothic metal),god("barbarian metal" lol),magica,ataria,gothic,vena cava,adi manolovici sindykate,altar,trooper,and if you want manowarish metal,do check out legacy.and for romanian grindcore try coaie pe zacusca ,cotoiu vesel eviscerat, and popa labator
i only listened to tiarra,altar,adi manolovici and magica out of that list. tiarra has the nice epic bandname-track on their demo,altar has recently been promoted quite a lot,and they're a decent thrash/hardcore band.trooper sounds quite a lot like hammerfall but they have some originality.adi manolovici,well,if you live in bucharest there's no way you haven't heard of him,but if you don't,he's a fantastic guitarist with wonderful instrumental hard rock/heavy metal
but it's your choice what to check out
and you could see the "what after metal?" thread if you find nothing good on this page
18.10.2006 - 14:43
Eight
Shapeshifter
Oshit, thats my symptomes, althought the problem with me is that i have only 10GB harddrive (ha-ha, not funny) and i can't get much music incoming on it, and i don't want to erase old bands.
And im a lazyars.
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
18.10.2006 - 16:29
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Valentin B on 18.10.2006 at 14:22

altar has recently been promoted quite a lot,and they're a decent thrash/hardcore band

they were just awsome live, but they sound belove avarege at home. A good band from the country is Vokodlok.
----

18.10.2006 - 21:19
ASiema113
Well I don't know about the concept your going for but can suggest some guys who are (definatly)worth checking out.

-Buckethead(Spokes for the Wheels of Torment is good, but a popular song would be Nottingham Lace)

-Jason Becker(lots of good stuff check out Speed Metal Symphony)

-Rusty Cooley(Check out some of the stuff on Chopss From Hell)

Then there's some other guys like Steve Vai, Joe Satrini, John Petrucci who played stuff like G3 where they covered Jimi Hendrix's Foxy Lady.

Some bands you can check out Children of Bodom, Dying Fetus, Vader,Behemoth, Dissection.
Enjoy
----

Written by Guest on 18.01.2008 at 09:05

People are always at their very best when they're dead.
20.10.2006 - 01:11
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
Written by ASiema113 on 18.10.2006 at 21:19

Well I don't know about the concept your going for but can suggest some guys who are (definatly)worth checking out.

-Buckethead(Spokes for the Wheels of Torment is good, but a popular song would be Nottingham Lace)

-Yngwie Malmsteen(lots of good stuff check out Speed Metal Symphony)

Then there's some other guys like Steve Vai, Joe Satrini, John Petrucci who played stuff like G3 where they covered Jimi Hendrix's Foxy Lady.

Some bands you can check out Children of Bodom, Dying Fetus, Vader,Behemoth, Dissection.
Enjoy

Personally, I can't see many people agreeing to Children Of Bodom, but the rest are a good bunch;)
20.10.2006 - 01:19
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
elite
I havent really caught on to what exactly your feeling. So you listen to alot of metal, but the bulk of it seems to be new and underground bands, and you feel you have missed the bigger bands? Or is it your after something more memorable that doesnt get boring fast?

I can reccomend Iced Earth, Therion, Immortal, King Diamond, Vital Remains as big bands.

For longetivity i highly rate Therion, Edenbridge, Ensiferum. These bands i have non stop played since hearing them.
20.10.2006 - 02:19
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
Written by Dark Cornatus on 20.10.2006 at 01:19

after something more memorable that doesnt get boring fast?

you hit the nail on the head there DC... that's exactly what he meant.
20.10.2006 - 03:14
Necronomicon
Account deleted
if you are interested in GOOD death metal you should seriously check these out:
Cannibal Corpse
Deicide
Decapitated
Necrophagist

they kick ass!!
24.10.2006 - 20:19
ASiema113
Written by Guest on 20.10.2006 at 01:11

Written by ASiema113 on 18.10.2006 at 21:19

-Jason Becker(lots of good stuff check out Speed Metal Symphony)

Enjoy

Personally, I can't see many people agreeing to Children Of Bodom, but the rest are a good bunch;)

Yea I guess so, let's replace COB with Keep Of Kalessin. Obsiden C has some brutal riffs with unrelenting speed but also mixs in some real dark, flowing(but complex) riffs as well, on Armada must own album for BMer's.
----

Written by Guest on 18.01.2008 at 09:05

People are always at their very best when they're dead.
25.10.2006 - 19:45
Valentin B
Iconoclast
also i can see you like opeth and cradle of filth,so you should try the sound of perseverance by death
it's unbelievable-the only death metal band i really like
28.10.2006 - 02:53
Eternal Flames
I would firstly suggest you spread your music taste evenly between bigger bands and more underground obscure bands, as otherwise you'll soon get sick of the bigger bands too. Anyway, some suggestions of decent more metal "mainstream" bands include Rage (speed/power), Running Wild (power), Dissection (melodic death/black), Savatage (heavy/power), Limbonic Art (symphonic black), (old) Celtic Frost (thrash/death/black), Evergrey (progressive), Grave Digger (classic speed) etc. There's a few that haven't been mentioned that you might find don't get boring fast. It really depends what style you are looking for.
01.11.2006 - 07:18
nana.MD
Star-Queen
hmm...perhaps u could listen more to death supreme bands, such as:
- necrophagist
- sleep terror
- quo vadis
- nile
- martyr
- spawn of possesion
- all shall perish
- requiem
- malevolent creation
- the haunted
- gorgasm
- hate eternal
- mucopus
- nocturnus
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
03.11.2006 - 12:43
Xaphiris
Written by nana.MD on 01.11.2006 at 07:18

hmm...perhaps u could listen more to death supreme bands

I'm not really looking for big bands from a specific genre. I'm a huge fan of death metal, but in spite of that, I've never heard of about 30% of the bands some of you people listed...

I believe you when you say they're good, but they're still too small IMO. I'd get their album, and listen to it, 8-10 songs on an album [if I'm lucky] and I'd end up hungry for more, yet bored of the same shit in Repeat Mode...

It feels like there is so much they still have to say but takes them several years before they actually say it. Hell, even cheesy pop bands are more inspired than some of these guys... take Necrophagist, they formed in 1992. They had a demo out that year, then another in 1995. Took them another 4 to come up with a full studio release. So far they've got 2 studio releases.

Pardon my prejudice, but I'm just sick and tired of "More! More!" Damn it, for me it ain't worth listening to a band, trying to figure them out, only to be left with a sence of defficiency... And I am certainly not going to go look for "similar bands", because there are no two bands alike and all them "similar bands" would just create a swirling mixture in my mind...
----
10.12.2007 - 15:09
RockeRoy
Man, you need Gojira, Textures, Opeth, mastodon, Between the buried and me,lamb of god, chimaira,Despised icon and Tool
if you like odd time signatures,brutality,originality this are all Flawless bands!!!
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
16.12.2007 - 21:16
Bulletdodger
On my mp3 palyer the playlist goes like this:
Slayer
Sepultura
Iron Maiden
Metallica
Motorhead
Marduk
Napalm death
Death
Led Zeppelin
Nightwish
Moonspell
Rammstein
Iced Earth
Satyricon
----
Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können.
David Hilbert
16.12.2007 - 21:41
selken
Irreligious
Just look at the "bands" page in this site, aproximately the first 4 pages contain the "big" names.
----