Metal Storm logo
Metal Storm - Happy New Year And Some Updates

The team of Metal Storm would like to wish all of you a happy new year. We hope your Christmas has been as good as ours and are looking forward to another year with the best metal community out there.

In terms of New Year's resolutions, we recently updated the FAQ and brought it up to date with some new rules and permissions, especially regarding forum behavior, meme usage and quoting. We have become more and more lenient in the past and still feel that an open community is the best way to go. But a healthy community cannot work without some basic rules. And since the internet is evolving fast, new rules are needed to keep up.

We updated section 1.2 - The rules of posting as follows:

Quote:

Please refrain from using pictures to illustrate a point (memes) unless that point is clearly depicted by that picture. Especially we won't allow memes without any written text. If you feel that a picture can contribute to the topic in a funny or informative way, please add some lines to it, explaining your point. Posts not adhering to this will be deleted without warning. As will posts with multiple memes.

When quoting other users, please delete any nested quotes (quotes within quotes) you don't want to comment on. If you feel you need to post a nested quote, please see to it that it doesn't go above four layers of nesting. When quoting posts containing images or videos, please remove all images and videos in your quote unless you are directly referring to the image or video. In these cases, please avoid quoting more than one item at once.

We also changed the rules for submitting guest reviews as FAQ section 4.2 - Guest Reviews Rules & Guidelines will tell you.

Quote:

- New releases are reserved for staff reviewers. Guest reviewers must wait 90 days after a release date or 30 days after an official review is published, whichever comes first.

Which means that from now on, guest reviews for popular new releases should get accepted way easier.

We hope you can all live with these new rules and that each of you will do their best to keep this community as friendly and welcoming as it is.

The Metal Storm staff, elites and contributors.
Posted: 04.01.2012 by corrupt

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 46   Visited by: 576 users
04.01.2012 - 18:59
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
No meme's and I have to wait 60 more days? It's like you guys want me to go away

(I do agree with the nested quotes thing, those eventually get annoying when my page is 600 miles long)
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
04.01.2012 - 19:15
Baz Anderson

Written by Boxcar Willy on 04.01.2012 at 18:59

No meme's and I have to wait 60 more days? It's like you guys want me to go away

(I do agree with the nested quotes thing, those eventually get annoying when my page is 600 miles long)

No, you have to wait LESS days to review if there is an official review put on. And memes are not banned, they only require a little text to accompany them.
04.01.2012 - 19:18
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Baz Anderson on 04.01.2012 at 19:15

No, you have to wait LESS days to review if there is an official review put on. And memes are not banned, they only require a little text to accompany them.

I'm just yanking your chain however I thought we had to wait 60 days to post a review?
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
04.01.2012 - 19:25
InnerSelf
proofread free
I think it means that you can submit your review the next day after an official review is published, which is great.
just one question : if the band is not popular can we publish a review right away or do we have to wait 90 days also ?
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
04.01.2012 - 19:38
Valentin B
Iconoclast
The meme thing doesn't affect the Funny Stuff or Pub threads right?
04.01.2012 - 19:46
Baz Anderson

Written by Valentin B on 04.01.2012 at 19:38

Naa, it's the pictures that make the funny stuff thread so good.
04.01.2012 - 19:53
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Valentin B on 04.01.2012 at 19:38

we'll let it go there as those are less formal areas and that is almost the express purpose of the Funny Stuff thread.

we just don't want to see album or review discussions reduced to "picture of man making constipated face" with not so much as a word, with a reply of "facepalm meme #1504" ... maybe it was MS Radio or a review that brought people here, but the forum is likely what keeps the community coming back. we'd like it to retain some form of active, literate discussion. if "band x sucks!" or "band Y is awesome!" is deemed spam, stands to reason just a pic without words is no different.

Accenting or reinforcing a statement is fine.

spam = bad.
meme alone = bad.
post with a complete sentence = fine.
post with a complete sentence + meme = fine.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
04.01.2012 - 19:56
demonsarising

It was always a 90 day wait before guest reviews, but now if there's a staff review before then, you can wait only 30 days, and its whichever comes first, so I'd say that its a good change.
04.01.2012 - 20:03
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by InnerSelf on 04.01.2012 at 19:25

I think it means that you can submit your review the next day after an official review is published, which is great.
just one question : if the band is not popular can we publish a review right away or do we have to wait 90 days also ?

not quite.

we want a buffer between the official review and guest reviews... as in theory as an official webzine our official reviews have some sort of weight or validity - at least enough so that we're inundated with cd's and requests. so now there is a 30 day gap between official and unofficial reviews.

goes like this.

Album is released January 1.

If the official review is up January 3, guest reviews will be accepted as of (roughly) February 3, 30 days from the official review.

If the official review goes up March 21, guest reviews will be accepted as of (roughly) April 1, 90 days from the original release.

If there is no official review, we'll accept guest reviews as of (roughly) April 1.

This also holds true for "less popular" bands as, let's face it, most the albums we get sent to review officially are from lesser known bands.

Bolded for emphasis:

Of course it is also worth noting that if you start writing regular, quality reviews you might very well get tapped to become an official reviewer.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
04.01.2012 - 20:13
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by BitterCOld on 04.01.2012 at 20:03

If the official review is up January 3, guest reviews will be accepted as of (roughly) February 3, 30 days from the official review.
If the official review goes up March 21, guest reviews will be accepted as of (roughly) April 1, 90 days from the original release.
If there is no official review, we'll accept guest reviews as of (roughly) April 1.

So, if I take rules to the extreme here:
If the album is released in January 1 and the official review comes... let's say 31 March, that means the guest review can be accepted the next day, right?
Just making sure I got it.

Also...THANK LORD for the quote rule. I friggin hate those mayan piramid quotes (Credit to Ag Fox for that expression).
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
04.01.2012 - 20:22
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by X-Ray Rod on 04.01.2012 at 20:13

So, if I take rules to the extreme here:
If the album is released in January 1 and the official review comes... let's say 31 March, that means the guest review can be accepted the next day, right?
Just making sure I got it.

Also...THANK LORD for the quote rule. I friggin hate those mayan piramid quotes (Credit to Ag Fox for that expression).

Yep, either 30 days from the official review or 90 days from release, whichever comes sooner.

Mayan Pyramid quotes ... sounds a hell of a lot more descriptive (and better) than Nested quotes.
----

04.01.2012 - 20:23
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by BitterCOld on 04.01.2012 at 20:22
Mayan Pyramid quotes ... sounds a hell of a lot more descriptive (and better) than Nested quotes.

It's not too late to change it ahhahahahaha
----
Rod, let me love you.
04.01.2012 - 21:59
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by X-Ray Rod on 04.01.2012 at 20:23

Written by BitterCOld on 04.01.2012 at 20:22

It's not too late to change it ahhahahahaha

Agreed. Mayan Pyramid quotes is what it should be called from now on, lol.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

04.01.2012 - 22:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Finaly something has been done whit nonc3 sence pic posts like in love tread for example totaly non sence pics
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.01.2012 - 22:19
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Bad English on 04.01.2012 at 22:16
Finaly something has been done whit nonc3 sence pic posts like in love tread for example totaly non sence pics

Maybe we should make a rule for typing coherently.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
04.01.2012 - 23:00
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.01.2012 at 22:19

Written by Bad English on 04.01.2012 at 22:16

Maybe we should make a rule for typing coherently.

typing is nothing to di whit non sence pics in every tread and yes why not that would be great rule
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.01.2012 - 23:29
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by BitterCOld on 04.01.2012 at 20:03

Written by InnerSelf on 04.01.2012 at 19:25

not quite.

we want a buffer between the official review and guest reviews... as in theory as an official webzine our official reviews have some sort of weight or validity - at least enough so that we're inundated with cd's and requests. so now there is a 30 day gap between official and unofficial reviews.

goes like this.

This also holds true for "less popular" bands as, let's face it, most the albums we get sent to review officially are from lesser known bands.

Bolded for emphasis:

Of course it is also worth noting that if you start writing regular, quality reviews you might very well get tapped to become an official reviewer.

Thanks, that cleared a lot of confusion up.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
05.01.2012 - 00:27
Mad Mike

If this were youtube, at least 10 people would've posted a meme on this thread as a form of mockery.
----
Did you ever notice that the people who tell you to get a life are normally people who should be dead in the first place?
05.01.2012 - 00:41
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Mad Mike on 05.01.2012 at 00:27

If this were youtube, at least 10 people would've posted a meme on this thread as a form of mockery.

oh, and you have to change your username now.

----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
05.01.2012 - 00:49
Void Eater
Account deleted
Since when has overuse of memes been an issue on Metalstorm?
05.01.2012 - 00:51
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 05.01.2012 at 00:49

It's not "overuse" so much as it is "any use".

I'm not a big fan of the rule but it is what it is I guess.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
05.01.2012 - 00:56
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.01.2012 at 00:51

Written by Guest on 05.01.2012 at 00:49

It's not "overuse" so much as it is "any use".
I'm not a big fan of the rule but it is what it is I guess.

I agree, I'm not that fan of the rule either but I see what is the main point. It's just a way to prevent things of getting out of our hands before it actually happens.
----
Rod, let me love you.
05.01.2012 - 02:28
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Which was the point. it's a bit pre-emptive after having several reports feature threads with a lot of nothing posts... and one that was simply two people spamming memes back and forth at each other.

i'd rather nip it in the bud now then lose people who have something to say to a sea of stupid images.

it's not like asking someone to type a complete sentence to accompany a meme is asking terribly much.

then again, maybe it is.

which might be part of the reason many people lament that the forum ain't what it used to be.
----

05.01.2012 - 02:31
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Elio on 05.01.2012 at 00:41

Written by Mad Mike on 05.01.2012 at 00:27

oh, and you have to change your username now.

nah. the name Captain Obvious existed long before memes or the internet. that, along with "Sherlock" were the common retorts when i was a kid and someone pointed out the ridiculously clear.

and to reply to the other's point...

Youtube doesn't have mods. Without mods, MS would become Youtube... oh joy wouldn't that be a site worth visiting?
----

05.01.2012 - 14:08
jadawal

Written by BitterCOld on 05.01.2012 at 02:31

Youtube doesn't have mods. Without mods, MS would become Youtube... oh joy wouldn't that be a site worth visiting?

I agree - without simple rules the MS forum would pile up a lot of garbage.

As for the memes, I was never a fan of them. Although I can understand the humour they could hold, many people get out of hand using them just for trolling and mockery. And I'm sure when people are posting the same memes and videos over and over in [mayan pyramid] quotes it mutilates the the server memory.

Good job to the MS staff for putting these straightforward but effective rules in place.
05.01.2012 - 15:00
AndMetalForAll
kual21
Good news
----
greets,
kual21
05.01.2012 - 15:19
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Written by jadawal on 05.01.2012 at 14:08

And I'm sure when people are posting the same memes and videos over and over in [mayan pyramid] quotes it mutilates the the server memory.

While that is certainly true, the rules are there to keep the forum clean and readable. The server can handle it
----
05.01.2012 - 18:44
Slayer666

Written by BitterCOld on 05.01.2012 at 02:31

Arrow to the knee jokes would reign even more supreme than now. Which seems impossible, but I assure you it is not.
05.01.2012 - 19:34
selken
Irreligious
Well, the meme thing is kind of strict.
Anyone pissed of by this will have two options, adhere or walk away, I think it's the best to maintain this site's cleanliness.
Also, they are free to apply the saying "my house, my rules".
At least this keeps rational people discussing in this site...
----
05.01.2012 - 20:23
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by selken on 05.01.2012 at 19:34
Well, the meme thing is kind of strict.

Well, that's the thing that I know pissed some people in the staff. The fact that people call it "strict".
It's not strict at all... People can post all the senseless memes they want in the funny stuff thread, it's there for a reason... But outside that thread, they aren't different than just posting smilies. The rule is actually very flexible, in the case the picture/video has some text/speech... as long as the pic/video with the text/speech on it are enough to make a point... It's fine.

But if it's just a pic/video without any text/speech... You back it up with some words of your own. Somehow some people find that incredibly hard to do which blows my mind.
----
Rod, let me love you.

Hits total: 4414 | This month: 6