Metal Storm logo
The return of true metal

Original post

Posted by animal, 06.01.2012 - 06:07
Quote:

The return of true metal

Brett Stevens, Houston Metal Music Examiner
December 26, 2011

Something interesting happened around 2003. At this point, the black metal community woke up and realized a couple of unsettling things.

First, they suddenly saw that since 1995, nothing much had been happening and the few good bands had been drowned out by a sea of imitators. Second, they recognized that what was replacing the "trve kvlt" black metal was a new form of music that mixed indie rock, shoegaze, emo, post-hardcore, and punk rock with black metal and death metal flavorings.

This was a counterpart to what happened in death metal around the year 2000 when "metalcore," or technical hardcore with death metal stylings, effectively replaced death metal. We now call this "technical death metal" and "melodic death metal" but it has less in common with death metal than breakaway punk bands like Neurosis and Human Remains.

Starting a few years later, the "true metal" movement was born. It exists in several genres, but has grouped heavy metal and speed metal into power metal, pushed death metal and doom metal into the same genre, and in black metal, has barely manifested itself at all. As black metal is the most popular underground metal genre perhaps ever, it will be the last to fall.

The press is even starting to notice.

Between revivals of classic heavy metal genres and iconic bands' reunion tours, it's clear that a love of tradition still runs deep in aggressive music culture. Metalheads are infamous for their Klingon-like loyalty to the bands and styles they love; many metal heads don't just let their musical tastes inform their listening habits, but everything from their style of dress to their social circles. In 2011, many bands sought to honour these hardcore fans with tours and albums that paid tribute to, and drew inspiration from, respected genre conventions. While still outside the mainstream, aggressive music now has the strength and power of a rich musical heritage all its own, and found success in celebrating that.

The year saw many significant bands reuniting, including the recent announcement that the original Black Sabbath line-up would be writing a new album together and embarking upon a world tour. Anthrax reunited with vocalist Joey Belladonna to record a new album, and thrash's Big Four (Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax) toured together for the first time in their mutual history.

Successful genre revivals, such as thrash and the New Wave of British Heavy Metal, continued to thrive. Unlike other genres, metal is not trendy, and to delve into a particular style of metal means to invest in a vast back-catalogue as well as seek out new music. Fans of NWOBHM are just as likely to be listening to old Raven LPs as they are to be enjoying the latest 3 Inches of Blood release. Albums are valued by fans for how much they adhere to the conventions of these beloved genres; to say something sounds exactly like an early example is a form of praise.

It's not so much that true metal is a genre, but a label that bands are applying to their music to say that they are not part of the newer hybrid genre, and that they want to return to the spirit that produced the great music of the 1970s, 1980s and early 1990s. The spirit is what allows bands to create music that carries the power of older metal, say fans, and many fans suggest that the newer music has lost that spirit because it's going in another direction. Whatever the case, the true metal movement is suggesting that metal isn't just a bunch of techniques and tropes, but a gestalt that ties them all together and communicates some kind of union with power and transcendence of the human condition, while more recent metal hybrids have been all about celebrating that human condition.

It should be exciting to watch this pan out.
10.01.2012 - 09:03
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Sorry if the above comment looks scrappy. It's my first attempt at multiple quotes and I don't really know what I'm doing.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
10.01.2012 - 10:15
ANGEL REAPER

Written by M C Vice on 10.01.2012 at 09:03

Sorry if the above comment looks scrappy. It's my first attempt at multiple quotes and I don't really know what I'm doing.

dont worry you'll get better
as far as Nightwish-Dimmu Borgir connection goes:I listened to Nightwish a lot and than just went into darker sound with DB's ETD ,Stormblast and For all Tid which are great symphonic BM albums...so i think that Nightwish was a step for me to get into more metal and end up in black metal at the end...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
10.01.2012 - 12:06
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 10.01.2012 at 10:15

Written by M C Vice on 10.01.2012 at 09:03

dont worry you'll get better
as far as Nightwish-Dimmu Borgir connection goes:I listened to Nightwish a lot and than just went into darker sound with DB's ETD ,Stormblast and For all Tid which are great symphonic BM albums...so i think that Nightwish was a step for me to get into more metal and end up in black metal at the end...

If you got the thing saying you'd been quoted, then it worked.
The symphonic link isn't really what got me into black metal, but once I started I got some more Dimmu Borgir albums cause I knew they had that orchestral element. The bit I liked most about them was the keyboards - Mustis and Stian Whateverhislastnameis were great. Shagrath and Girlioz just don't match up.
I'd like to see Mustis do a Warmen-style solo album, with mrominent keys/piano and several guest singers.
----
10.01.2012 - 16:49
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by M C Vice on 10.01.2012 at 09:02

Close, but wrong. And I keep meaning to check that band out sometime.

I thought it was almost certainly
----
7.0 means the album is good
13.01.2012 - 09:58
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Your only "True Metal" if you cut off your middle and ring fingers.
----
13.01.2012 - 18:20
Guib
Thrash Talker
True Metal my ass -_- If you ask me, this is probably a bunch of old pissed off dudes who know their favorite bands are getting too old to jerk off lol

I love old bands, but to see them as being ''true metal'' and that all the new stuff should be ''put aside'' or simply not considered metal because of their hybrid approach and experimentations, thats a bit too much for me. I love alot of new bands, especially because they try new stuff, because they experiment. If it would always be the same crap over and over, I'd get bored and would just stop listening to anything lol. All music genre must experiment new stuff, else they just stagnate. I think this True thing, is stupid... that's my opinion, it is just another way to make people talk about it... kind of lame if you ask me. And also for them to be labeled ''True Metal'' (not part of the new hybrid wave) that's their problem... they don't know what they're missing
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
14.01.2012 - 01:24
RavenKing

Written by Guib on 13.01.2012 at 18:20

True Metal my ass -_- If you ask me, this is probably a bunch of old pissed off dudes who know their favorite bands are getting too old to jerk off lol

I love old bands, but to see them as being ''true metal'' and that all the new stuff should be ''put aside'' or simply not considered metal because of their hybrid approach and experimentations, thats a bit too much for me. I love alot of new bands, especially because they try new stuff, because they experiment. If it would always be the same crap over and over, I'd get bored and would just stop listening to anything lol. All music genre must experiment new stuff, else they just stagnate. I think this True thing, is stupid... that's my opinion, it is just another way to make people talk about it... kind of lame if you ask me. And also for them to be labeled ''True Metal'' (not part of the new hybrid wave) that's their problem... they don't know what they're missing

Agreed on everything.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
14.01.2012 - 01:57
Angelic Storm
Melodious
"True metal" is a ridiculous term, any way you look at it...
14.01.2012 - 05:12
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Angelic Storm on 14.01.2012 at 01:57

"True metal" is a ridiculous term, any way you look at it...

Yeah, really... Just the expression itself, seems like they're trying to prove something nobody cares about, except (excuse my words) the narrow minded people, who found it
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
14.01.2012 - 07:12
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guib on 14.01.2012 at 05:12
Yeah, really... Just the expression itself, seems like they're trying to prove something nobody cares about, except (excuse my words) the narrow minded people, who found it

The moment anyone uses that term in a totally serious fashion, I automatically cannot take them seriously at all.
14.01.2012 - 12:04
FOOCK Nam

True metal is Manowar !!!!!!!
14.01.2012 - 12:19
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by FOOCK Nam on 14.01.2012 at 12:04

Manowar are just as ridiculous as the term true metal itself.
14.01.2012 - 12:54
JacksonGuitars

I just wanted to say a bit about being "devoted" to a specific genre of metal. While I can't say that I am dedicated to BM, DM, or any other kind of metal, I find myself having to make a conscious choice to become dedicated to metal in general. The reason is is that, as I get older (28 now), I realize that I am becoming one of those people stuck in the past - the early 2000's and late 90's. While I don't particularly care for much of the music I listened to back then, it was an exciting time in my life, and from many of the shitty bands I listened to, I was able to go from fuck-if-i-know to SYL, to all the late 90's Century Media bands. To this I owe no less than a decade's worth of listening to extreme metal. To this I can attribute a desire to make that feeling come back; I am doing this now, by getting my history straight (Christe's Sound of the Beast, Ekeroth's Swedish Death Metal, Wiki, for examples), trying out bands I'd never heard before, both classic and new. What I believe the author of the article is trying to do is - maybe this is for himself, or for his audience too - to innovate where innovation cannot exist; that is, if it was metal before, and now it is metal with something else, then is it still metal?

I've come to think of creating new music that sounds like the old music is a bit like multiplying 1 times 1, over and over. The purpose of the article (or unintended consequence, it doesn't matter which) is not so much to create or end an argument over new versus old, but more so to realize that whatever net "true metal" is thought to cover should, instead, cover all the metal that has that innate energy or catalyst which caused us to find solace in the world of metal. That world, to me, has always been a positive (which, as a side note, has been one of the harder things for non-metal fans to realize) outlet for my energy or passion. True metal, instead of being some revival or avant-garde mix, is that which binds its fans together. The author may have been a bit ambitious and hasty, though.

tl;dr why can't we all just get along.
14.01.2012 - 14:58
FOOCK Nam

Written by Angelic Storm on 14.01.2012 at 12:19

That's why true metal is Manowar, Hailzzzz
14.01.2012 - 15:04
RavenKing

Written by Angelic Storm on 14.01.2012 at 12:19

In fact, the term True Metal sounds as if it was taken straight out of a Manowar album.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
14.01.2012 - 16:12
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by RavenKing on 14.01.2012 at 15:04
In fact, the term True Metal sounds as if it was taken straight out of a Manowar album.

I always thought it was actually them who invented the term, though I'm not certain about that...
15.01.2012 - 13:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I am not sure if they were the first to use the term true metal, but they did coin the phrase "death to false metal"
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996