Metal Storm logo
Death metal band saves cats from life on the street

06.01.2012 - 06:08
animal

Quote:

Death metal band saves cats from life on the street

Brett Stevens, Houston Metal Music Examiner
December 28, 2011

Our streets are awash in stray animals. The ASPCA estimates that "approximately 5 million to 7 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year, and approximately 3 million to 4 million are euthanized (60 percent of dogs and 70 percent of cats)."

Donald Tardy of death metal band Obituary and his wife, Heather, spend their spare time and most of their "spare" money picking up stray cats off the street and taking care of them. Their charity, the Metal Meowlisha, cares for 20 colonies of feral cats 365 days a year.

They say:

This also involves continually practicing Trap-Neuter-Return and using spay/neuter to control the population of free roaming cats in our area. The ASPCA endorses Trap-Neuter-Return as the ONLY Humane and Effective manner of managing free roaming cat populations, and so do we!

In caring for so many cats on the streets, we find many abandoned cats, especially in the current economy and college area that we are working in. Often they are in need of health care, some need extensive treatment. The MM works with our vet and local clinics to the sick and injured cats we find, and networks with the wonderful rescues and shelter in our city to help find homes for friendly, adoptable cats and kittens.

We strive to provide medical care as needed to sick or injured feral cats so they can be returned to their outdoor homes to live happily and comfortably. The MM embraces a no-kill ideology and strives to treat sick and injured cats without euthanizing cats based on financial considerations or testing positive for infectious diseases.
Advertisement

Especially in winter, when many people go on vacation and "forget" their pets, cats and dogs hit the streets in droves. These animals lose their collars, lose their way and soon are more wandering strays who fall prey to cars, starvation, disease and human cruelty.

You'd rather forget about this, and so would I. But death metal has never run away from the grim truths of life, or the knowledge that we can do something to fix all of these problems. One start is to help out Donald and Heather as they care for stray cats in their area.

For more information, visit the Metal Meowlisha page and consider making a donation or helping to publicize the metal cat salvation crusade. For great justice!
----
"I got 1,000 years of power! Come and get me!" Robert McLain- Royal Oak, MI
06.01.2012 - 07:27
JohnDoe
Account deleted
This is so cool
06.01.2012 - 08:54
The Turbanator

Written by Guest on 06.01.2012 at 07:27

This is so cool

Hahaha when I read your post and saw your avatar, I laughed so loud.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
06.01.2012 - 11:19
vezzy
Stallmanite
I was heartwarmed.

Then I read the final sentence: "For great justice!" Using the old as hell, beaten Zero Wing meme is much like Godwin's law: mention Nazis/Zero Wing and you instantly lose all credibility.

Okay, so Don Tardy collects stray cats. Well, big deal, should he be kidnapping people, mutilating their corpses and sell 'em on the black market? Death metal musicians aren't violent, sociopathic murderers, obviously. Most.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
06.01.2012 - 16:21
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by The Turbanator on 06.01.2012 at 08:54

This is so cool

I'm glad I unintentionally put a smile on your face.

the cat in my avatar is the cat my wife saved 2 years ago. It's our cat. Awesome, a bit crazy and unpredictable cat!
06.01.2012 - 16:32
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by vezzy on 06.01.2012 at 11:19

Okay, so Don Tardy collects stray cats. Well, big deal, should he be kidnapping people, mutilating their corpses and sell 'em on the black market? Death metal musicians aren't violent, sociopathic murderers, obviously. Most.

He's doing a nice thing, which not a lot of people do, so it is a big deal. And for a lot of people, playing in a death metal band is a sign you're an immature, violent and awful person anyway.
----
7.0 means the album is good
06.01.2012 - 17:04
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Milena on 06.01.2012 at 16:32
And for a lot of people, playing in a death metal band is a sign you're an immature, violent and awful person anyway.

Yeah, I was trying to say that I find that notion to be utterly idiotic.
----
06.01.2012 - 20:18
Edmund Fogg

Written by vezzy on 06.01.2012 at 17:04

And for a lot of people, playing in a death metal band is a sign you're an immature, violent and awful person anyway.

Yeah, I was trying to say that I find that notion to be utterly idiotic.

Wait...What? Why? The human mind isn't a complex thing and one should be defined by his musical taste no? After all Metal is a way of life [/sarcasm]
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
06.01.2012 - 20:40
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
That is awesome!
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
06.01.2012 - 23:09
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

http://metalstorm.net/events/news_comments.php?news_id=11040
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.01.2012 - 23:39
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by animal on 06.01.2012 at 06:08

the metal cat salvation crusade.

Proud to say that my girlfriend and I are part of it
Well, the association we're part of is not metal by any means, but they do the same thing in our city of Toulouse.
(plus, one of 'our' cats is like a female Lemmy reincarnated as a cat )
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
06.01.2012 - 23:46
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Darkside Momo on 06.01.2012 at 23:39

Written by animal on 06.01.2012 at 06:08

the metal cat salvation crusade.

Proud to say that my girlfriend and I are part of it
Well, the association we're part of is not metal by any means, but they do the same thing in our city of Toulouse.

My family has also adopted cats, we have to brothers, Cooper and Theo, one's scared of everything and the others dumb as a stump and cross eyed but i love them both
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
06.01.2012 - 23:56
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Boxcar Willy on 06.01.2012 at 23:46

Written by Darkside Momo on 06.01.2012 at 23:39

My family has also adopted cats, we have to brothers, Cooper and Theo, one's scared of everything and the others dumb as a stump and cross eyed but i love them both

Cats are great indeed
the Lemmy lady-cat I was speaking about is one that was rescued by the association, but we didn't adopt her. Even if we wanted, we couldn't, because she is really, really possessive and wouldn't be able to bear the presence of our two own cats...
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
07.01.2012 - 05:11
Lit.
Account deleted
I hope he calls it "Obituary Home For Wayward Kitties."
But, seriously, that is so adorable.
07.01.2012 - 10:46
The Turbanator

I always hated cat. No offense.

I loveeee dogs though.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
08.01.2012 - 13:28
Roro

I am in love with this band already !!
08.01.2012 - 14:43
Slayer666

I'm pretty sure they just decapitate and eat the cats after (raw, of course).
08.01.2012 - 15:03
Angelic Storm
Melodious
So Donald Tardy is an awesome person as well as an awesome drummer it seems! Obituary may no longer be making great albums, but at least Donald is doing a great thing here!
08.01.2012 - 18:43
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Slayer666 on 08.01.2012 at 14:43

I'm pretty sure they just decapitate and eat the cats after (raw, of course).

not funny at all...
08.01.2012 - 20:09
ANGEL REAPER

OK i have resisted from posting this for 2 hours!
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
08.01.2012 - 21:26
Slayer666

Written by Guest on 08.01.2012 at 18:43

not funny at all...

If you dislike cats as much as I do, it's pretty funny.
08.01.2012 - 21:31
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Slayer666 on 08.01.2012 at 21:26

Written by Guest on 08.01.2012 at 18:43

not funny at all...

If you dislike cats as much as I do, it's pretty funny.

then why bother replying on this thread?
08.01.2012 - 22:03
vezzy
Stallmanite
Probably because a death metal musician nurturing stray cats isn't particularly notable.

Also because it's a very plausible theory. Mind you, I like cats too, that doesn't mean I can't post pictures of graphically slaughtered kittens (besides the rules stopping me, ofc).

In all fairness though, they should think of a better charity name. Metal Meowlisha?...
----
08.01.2012 - 23:58
Mattybu

Written by vezzy on 08.01.2012 at 22:03

In all fairness though, they should think of a better charity name. Metal Meowlisha?...

Dude Metal Meowlisha is fucking badass.
14.01.2012 - 06:46
Richard 32

Thanks for sharing this! I think this is a great thing to help quell the stereotypes of heavy metal. I just watched an episode of some crime show my family was watching and they were basically blaming a murder on satanism and both on heavy metal. WTF are people thinking?

Written by The Turbanator on 06.01.2012 at 08:54

This is so cool

Notice also the OP's username is "animal"?
15.01.2012 - 05:19
Kennoth

Yeah, great thing indeed. Nothing that notable though.
----
*insert something deep and profound*