Metal Storm logo
Pain Of Salvation - New Guitarist Announced

Pain Of Salvation is now complete, with the addition of their new guitarist Ragnar Zolberg. The band had this to say about the new addition: "We are certain that Ragnar will have everything that's needed to kick your asses on the upcoming tour, and our first four days of rehearsals only strengthened that feeling. He is an excellent guitar player and an outstanding vocalist, and he knows how to make use of those abilities while rocking out on stage. On top of that he is an awesome person. What's not to like?"

Zolberg stated: "Holy ravens! What the f**k just happened!? My gratitude and excitement for the upcoming tour is far beyond words and I feel unbelievably privileged to be sharing the stage with one of my favorite bands. I've been going through the songs during the whole Christmas that I'm spending here in London, but the only guitar I had was my nephew's guitar... he's 2 years old! Let's just say that it's a very small one but it sort of keeps in tune so it's not all bad. I can't wait to start rocking out to the music that we've all come to love so dearly and I will devote my whole heart to it!"

Zolberg will make his first appearance with the band during their European tour, starting in early February.

[Thanks to K?ulu for the tip!]

Source: painofsalvation.com
Band profile: Pain Of Salvation
Posted: 06.01.2012 by BoxCar Willy

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 28   Visited by: 101 users
06.01.2012 - 11:56
Milena
gloom cookie
Now lets see will this sound anything like the Pain of Salvation we're used to (or at least were before 2010). I think the other guys left partially because they couldn't handle Daniel anymore.
----
7.0 means the album is good
06.01.2012 - 11:57
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I don't understand the non-love for the Road Salt period. I'm totally for it.

And Daniel is known for having a big ego... so that must've influenced something.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
06.01.2012 - 12:24
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by BloodTears on 06.01.2012 at 11:57

I love both of the Road Salts, but they were one of the best prog metal bands ever, one does not simply scrap that and hope no one will be disappointed
----
06.01.2012 - 12:33
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Milena on 06.01.2012 at 12:24

Written by BloodTears on 06.01.2012 at 11:57

I love both of the Road Salts, but they were one of the best prog metal bands ever, one does not simply scrap that and hope no one will be disappointed

You make it sound like they are not one of the best prog bands out there anymore, which is not the case. Sure, not prog "metal" but I don't hold it against them. I always struggle with fans that can't accept change, especially when the quality of the releases still prevails. Sometimes it is just a matter of being open-minded. But there will always be people who don't like particular releases, I'm not questioning that.

Also, don't know this new guy, but I hope it works.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
06.01.2012 - 13:01
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by BloodTears on 06.01.2012 at 12:33

You make it sound like they are not one of the best prog bands out there anymore, which is not the case. Sure, not prog "metal" but I don't hold it against them. I always struggle with fans that can't accept change, especially when the quality of the releases still prevails. Sometimes it is just a matter of being open-minded. But there will always be people who don't like particular releases, I'm not questioning that.

Also, don't know this new guy, but I hope it works.

Well I personally don't hold it against them, but I know a lot of people who have been around at the time of TPE and Remedy Lane and who struggle to recognize that band in the PoS of today. I personally would have liked it more if they evolved the Scarsick sound further, but I guess they felt there's nothing more to accomplish there.
----
06.01.2012 - 20:02
nb

I am one that will always look forward to more Perfect Element and Remedy Lane type albums. But I also liked Scarsick, it was good, and the Road Salts were better than Scarsick.
06.01.2012 - 20:28
Milena
gloom cookie
Well, I can't dig up if he had bands before (or rather, I can, but not in my current open tabs), so here's a picture:

Tattoos of circles are very prog in my book
----
06.01.2012 - 20:57
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Milena on 06.01.2012 at 20:28

Well, I can't dig up if he had bands before (or rather, I can, but not in my current open tabs), so here's a picture:

Tattoos of circles are very prog in my book

He looks like a hipster, :/
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
06.01.2012 - 21:04
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Boxcar Willy on 06.01.2012 at 20:57

Nah, I think he's just got some fashion sense. It's not the metalheads' fault that hipsters take all good fashion from all subcultures and then mutilate it.
----
06.01.2012 - 21:12
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Milena on 06.01.2012 at 21:04

Written by Boxcar Willy on 06.01.2012 at 20:57

Nah, I think he's just got some fashion sense. It's not the metalheads' fault that hipsters take all good fashion from all subcultures and then mutilate it.

Hipster.

I'm not really into the leather and spikes either, but this is a little too far.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
06.01.2012 - 21:18
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Boxcar Willy on 06.01.2012 at 21:12

I'm not really into the leather and spikes either, but this is a little too far.

Ummm, the dude has long hair, tattoos and I believe that's Axl Rose on his ripped shirt, so it's pure rock'n'roll fashion to me, not very obvious or classic but it's there. As I am a girl heavily interested in alternative fashion I think I have more merit in judgement than you (no offense - just stating it), as well as saying I wouldn't care if he wore ironic mustaches and oversized 70's glasses - Daniel picked him and that means he can do the job well.

I shouldn't have posted the photo as I hate it when people judge others based solely on their appearance but I wanted to put a face to the name, as well as engage in a discussion with someone about how young he is (you probably haven't noticed that) and how lovely it is for a young person to join such an acclaimed band.

Edit: I have been informed that the dude in the shirt is a certain Lil Wayne, so I go out there and google a bit and it's some random rap dude. So yeah, prog people suck in popular culture.
----
06.01.2012 - 21:21
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Milena on 06.01.2012 at 21:18

Ummm, the dude has long hair, tattoos and I believe that's Axl Rose on his ripped shirt, so it's pure rock'n'roll fashion to me, not very obvious or classic but it's there. As I am a girl heavily interested in alternative fashion I think I have more merit in judgement than you (no offense - just stating it), as well as saying I wouldn't care if he wore ironic mustaches and oversized 70's glasses - Daniel picked him and that means he can do the job well.

I shouldn't have posted the photo as I hate it when people judge others based solely on their appearance but I wanted to put a face to the name, as well as engage in a discussion with someone about how young he is (you probably haven't noticed that) and how lovely it is for a young person to join such an acclaimed band.

I'm just messing around with you

I'm still going to stick to my jeans and t-shirt... and my flat brimmed hat
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
06.01.2012 - 21:23
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Boxcar Willy on 06.01.2012 at 21:21

Sure you do, just don't bring down others who wanna try something else
----
06.01.2012 - 21:33
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Milena on 06.01.2012 at 21:23

Written by Boxcar Willy on 06.01.2012 at 21:21

Sure you do, just don't bring down others who wanna try something else

I don't mind an attempt at "style" I'm just not into this guys "Style". I guess I'm not "hip"

I also refuse to wear skinny jeans, even though I'm one skinny mofo.

----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
06.01.2012 - 22:42
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Hipster.

Pretty much. All he's missing is one of those stupid headband things.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.01.2012 - 22:54
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.01.2012 at 22:42

Pretty much. All he's missing is one of those stupid headband things.

*facepalms* If that's the way hipsters look in America now, some new definitions need to be established.
But hey, he's a European and we're gay, don't judge us.
----
06.01.2012 - 22:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Milena on 06.01.2012 at 22:54
*facepalms* If that's the way hipsters look in America now, some new definitions need to be established.

Pretty much exactly how they look, ya. Although the hipsters are starting to blend in with the scene kids, so you get your typical Bieber-ish skinny-jean wearing girlboys with sideswipe bangs and girls wearing men's plaid dress shirts with scarves 11 times too big for them. And gauged ears of course. And pretend you smoke but don't actually inhale because in reality you're a pussy.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.01.2012 - 23:02
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.01.2012 at 22:58

Pretty much exactly how they look, ya. Although the hipsters are starting to blend in with the scene kids, so you get your typical Bieber-ish skinny-jean wearing girlboys with sideswipe bangs and girls wearing men's plaid dress shirts with scarves 11 times too big for them. And gauged ears of course. And pretend you smoke but don't actually inhale because in reality you're a pussy.

This doesn't look like that^^ is all I'm saying. Not to be defensive of the guy, I'll probably butcher him in my mind till he proves to be as awesome guitar player and backup singer as Johan was. But this doesn't strike me as hipster. It's pretty much just more modern rock'n'roll. A bit more mainstream, yeah, maybe even a bit too feminine for some people's tastes. Not false ironic and false deep.
----
06.01.2012 - 23:07
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Milena on 06.01.2012 at 23:02
It's pretty much just more modern rock'n'roll.

It's more like pseudo-GnR revivalism.
----
06.01.2012 - 23:13
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.01.2012 at 23:07

It's more like pseudo-GnR revivalism.

Fashion magazines call that type of shit "rocker chic" and "grungy glam" and other impossibilities but in all honesty, the "GnR" fashion wasn't anything special, and there is no "true" GnR revivalism, so there is no such a thing as a "pseudo" one.

But what do I know, I'm just a girl, I haven't seen a gazzilion pictures of people dressed in all sorts of both yucky and good shit, and I can't tell a poseur from a person who dresses the way they like (shitty or not), and I can't tell a hipster from a guy with a moderately quirky dress sense
I wish I haven't posted the picture, but I guess that, while I've informed some people about the dude's age and gave them an idea about the future "look" of the band they're going to get used to on stage, I've provoked others to "hipster" comments.
----
06.01.2012 - 23:18
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Milena on 06.01.2012 at 23:13

I think you're taking this too seriously. You realize you're talking to a guy who has never spent more than 30 minutes in his life (total) listening to their music? And that I listen to a genre where men make out with each other, cut themselves, and wear make-up?
----
06.01.2012 - 23:31
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.01.2012 at 23:18

post I've accidentally deleted

I'm sorry if this seemed a bit rantish. This wasn't about PoS (the dude just joined today after all) or anyone's aesthetic preferences against mine. It's just that, I don't know a lot of things about, well, things, so I'm annoyed to no end when someone belittles my knowledge in those strong areas of mine. And when it is made by a person who, I'm absolutely sure in it, actually knows a lot less about the subject in question.

I mean, you don't just argue with a fashion loving girl, especially when you're trained not to notice any trace of it (how many of you guys could name all the stuff and materials that hang in your sister's closet) and ESPECIALLY not about touchy subjects what is someone's personal fashion sense (again, shitty or not) and what is a trend sold to the masses
----
06.01.2012 - 23:34
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Milena on 06.01.2012 at 23:31
I mean, you don't just argue with a fashion loving girl...

One does not simply win an argument with a girl...
----
07.01.2012 - 00:37
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.01.2012 at 23:34

Written by Milena on 06.01.2012 at 23:31
I mean, you don't just argue with a fashion loving girl...

One does not simply win an argument with a girl...

(not to be a dick but i thought this was funny)

http://thedoghousediaries.com/1764
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
08.01.2012 - 02:49
Symmachus

Ragnar Zolberg is an awesome sounding name. Congratulations to him for getting the new guitar spot in Pain of Salvation.

However, there didn't need to be so much "hipster" assigning...
08.01.2012 - 08:14
Fat & Sassy!

This fashion banter is so un-fucking-metal. -_-

And accordion

to the general understanding of what a "hipster" looks like, it seems everyone ever is a hipster.
09.01.2012 - 18:24
Parasomnia

Well fuck... That narrows down the realm of "real metalheads".. Hipster? Seriously? I thought progressive music was the one place where the music took center stage.. I don't give a shit what dude looks like, he can shred better than any "hipster" I've ever heard..
09.01.2012 - 18:47
Parasomnia

Ragnar Zolberg's original band Sign. I could see his playing style fit in with the progressive *metal Pain of Salvation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khgqpt3R7H0&feature=related

Hits total: 4455 | This month: 9