Metal Storm logo
Video Game Speed Run Marathon!

06.01.2012 - 21:23
bj_waters

To be honest, I'm not sure if this thread belongs here, but it's more than just video games. Speed Demos Archive is a website that runs a charity marathon that runs for several days, beating video games as fast as possible for charity. They are receiving donations for the Prevent Cancer Foundation and you can watch their live stream at http://speeddemosarchive.com/. If you're into video games or charities or anything, give this a look. I've been following this event for a few years and I love it every time. They even raffle away prizes to those who donate!
08.01.2012 - 10:01
vezzy
Stallmanite
Wow, even speedrunners feel the need to donate ca$h to charity nowadays?

I don't know, but these are some of the most insane speedruns I've seen:

That alone's worth a few hundred bucks.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
08.01.2012 - 18:38
bj_waters

Written by vezzy on 08.01.2012 at 10:01

I don't know, but these are some of the most insane speedruns I've seen:

That was . . . . . . . . . interesting. Do you know if they used scripts or was tool-assisted at all?

Oh, and the speedrunners aren't donating their money, they using their skills to bring in donations from viewers of their stream, and they're doing REALLY well. They started with a goal of $50K, but they blew that out yesterday and they're on track for at last $100K. A hundred grand towards cancer research isn't something to laugh at.
08.01.2012 - 19:24
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by bj_waters on 08.01.2012 at 18:38
That was . . . . . . . . . interesting. Do you know if they used scripts or was tool-assisted at all?

Fernando's speedruns are legit, but I don't know about that one. I think it's real as well, they just have a knack for timing and engine exploitation.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
09.01.2012 - 02:28
bj_waters

Written by vezzy on 08.01.2012 at 19:24

Fernando's speedruns are legit, but I don't know about that one. I think it's real as well, they just have a knack for timing and engine exploitation.

I guess they could be individual level runs that have been spliced together into one big movie, sort of like Half-Hour Half-Life.
15.02.2012 - 00:14
Skøllgrim
Northern
Speed running kicks ass. I'm on a gaming break right now and don't know when I'll ever return to gaming but... when I do there's quite a few games I'd love to speedrun, in particular SNES games.
25.05.2012 - 05:24
bj_waters

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I'd just necro this one, since the title still applies!

SDA is now doing Summer Games Done Quick 2012, a charity marathon for the Organization of Autism Research. They'll be running all sorts of games (though you've already missed a mind-blowing Portal run, sorry) from now until Monday night, so GO CHECK IT OUT!
07.01.2013 - 01:31
bj_waters

Time to bump this up again!

Awesome Games Done Quick has begun once again! http://marathon.speeddemosarchive.com/

Be sure to check out the schedule, watch some runs, and donate! http://marathon.speeddemosarchive.com/schedule
16.03.2013 - 04:13
bj_waters

Yup, more bumping. This time for Crystals for Life for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation of Canada, which will consist of nothing but Final Fantasy speedruns. It starts tonight and goes until Tuesday.
27.07.2013 - 05:05
bj_waters

Bumping once again. Summer Games Done Quick 2013 goes until Monday night. The finale is going to be Zelda: Twilight Princess! Check it out!

http://marathon.speeddemosarchive.com/
05.01.2014 - 23:07
bj_waters

Yup, time to bump this back up again. Awesome Games Done Quick 2014 has just started and it goes until Saturday. They're raising money for the Prevent Cancer Foundation again, and this time their goal is $500,000. They take all donations through PayPal, so you don't need to have US Dollars (I don't think). Or you can just watch; that's cool, too.

The main site is here. I also know it that it is being restreamed twice, one with French commentary and another with German commentary.