04. Sequoia Throne
05. Palms Read
06. Limb From Limb
07. Spoils

Isosceles
08. Wretch
09. Goddess Bound
10. Goddess Gagged

Protest The Hero has a love/hate thing going on... either you like it, or I hate you. Honestly folks, this is one of the best albums I've ever heard. I was a musical virgin going in, and a technicality slut coming out. This is a must hear album.

The album starts off with the killer track, "Bloodmeat". That song alone sold me on this album; it has the technicality of the guitars and the drums, and the melody coming out of Rody Walker. The album is a complete blitzkrieg to the ears; everything is fast and in your face. The guitar is just simply wonderful, ranging from those heavy chugging breakdown riffs to some of the best solos on the planet. And the bass is even better. Bass in most ensembles is supposed to maintain the groove of the songs and follow along.

Not in Protest The Hero.

The bass is in its own little world, played incredibly fast and technical. It's definitely a highlight on this album. The drums are also great throughout the album; they create different beats, giving the songs a little more variation.

The best part of this album is the musical god known as Rody Walker. I would give up a lot to have the voice that he has - it's melodic and he can certainly scream. It has a certain uniqueness that is unmatched by anyone I have ever heard. During the song "Bloodmeat", at about the three-minute mark, my jaw dropped. I have never heard something so beautiful.

This album is the cat's meow. Literally. During the song "Wretch", you can hear a cat meow. Now I don't know whose cat got into the studio, but it's a nice added effect! The only thing I don't like is the "8-bit" effect that you occasionally hear in some of the tracks.

This is a great album, and is at the top of my list of recommendations. Buy now!

Highlights: "Bloodmeat", "Goddess Bound"

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by Boxcar Willy | 07.01.2012

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
jupitreas
Rating:
N/A
Fortress, Protest The Hero's latest album, is definitely one of the most anticipated releases this year, which is really hardly a surprise considering what a smash hit their debut excursion into kitchen sink metal, Kezia, turned out to be. Those who enjoyed the band's previous attempt at totally schizophrenic yet catchy music will be happy to hear that, by and large, Fortress is more of the same just better and more mature.

Read more ››
published 26.01.2008 | Comments (16)

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 101 users
07.01.2012 - 18:23
Rating: 9
JÄY
Metal slave
Indeed, it's amazing.
09.01.2012 - 00:11
Rating: 10
Coolingsrock
Awesome
25.01.2012 - 08:52
3rdWorld
China was a neat
After listening to Kezia, i wonder if anything can ever top it.I listened to Bloodmeat, but still i wonder if they can better their debut.
02.03.2012 - 01:30
JD
Account deleted
I did enjoy this album a lot
02.03.2012 - 01:32
Rating: 10
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 02.03.2012 at 01:30

I did enjoy this album a lot

Told you you would
----