09. Belly Of The Beast
10. Bring The Noise
11. I'm The Man 91

Comments

Comments: 36   Visited by: 111 users
08.01.2012 - 00:08
Void Eater
Account deleted
And the award for most pointless compilation album goes to...
08.01.2012 - 00:12
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I dunno... Deep Purple released another one too. Their entire discog is spread over about 30 compilations. That's more pointless in my opinion.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.01.2012 - 09:55
vezzy
Stallmanite
It's a maaadhouse, or so they claim, it's a maadhouse, oh, AM I INSANE?!

Wait, DP have another comp album? Great.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
08.01.2012 - 15:09
Angelic Storm
Melodious
What a totally pointless release this is...
08.01.2012 - 18:40
JohnDoe
Account deleted
I don't know which label releases these compilations, because there are a ton of them, I've seen Rush, Styx, Nirvana and some more, I don't remember. So don't blame it on the bands all the time.
09.01.2012 - 00:36
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 08.01.2012 at 18:40
So don't blame it on the bands all the time.

I almost never do. I'm well aware it's the record companies that are responsible for the vast majorities of these pointless compilations. And some are even released without the band's knowledge.
09.01.2012 - 00:49
RavenKing

Written by Angelic Storm on 09.01.2012 at 00:36

Written by Guest on 08.01.2012 at 18:40
So don't blame it on the bands all the time.

I almost never do. I'm well aware it's the record companies that are responsible for the vast majorities of these pointless compilations. And some are even released without the band's knowledge.

Yeah. It's often not the fault of the bands but it doesn't make those releases less pointless.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
09.01.2012 - 01:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
The band I can think of who has full power what is released of theirs by their record company is Iron Maiden, and as we all know they ARE the masters of pointless compilation.
And of ciourse the same applies to Manowar and all their live dvd's

another band with full power is Metallica but they are renowned for their pointless studio efforts and not compilations
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.01.2012 - 01:30
RavenKing

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.01.2012 at 01:01

The band I can think of who has full power what is released of theirs by their record company is Iron Maiden, and as we all know they ARE the masters of pointless compilation.
And of ciourse the same applies to Manowar and all their live dvd's

Yeah, Iron Maiden and Manowar are lame with all those pointless releases. It's sad to see how Maiden became the masters of cash grab. But all the blind Maiden fanboys are also to blame for it, as they will buy any useless shit from this band.
----
09.01.2012 - 06:52
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by RavenKing on 09.01.2012 at 00:49
Yeah. It's often not the fault of the bands but it doesn't make those releases less pointless.

Nope, it doesn't.

@Marcel: How do you know that those bands have total control over what their record company releases? If it is true that Metallica have that level of control over their releases, I find it all the more amazing that they've never released such a compilation. I can't think of another big band who has been going for more than 20 years that doesn't have some sort of "hits" compilation on the market. They should definitely be commended for that, even if for nothing else, by the haters.
09.01.2012 - 17:54
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Angelic Storm on 09.01.2012 at 06:52
They should definitely be commended for that, even if for nothing else, by the haters.

Well since they moved away from their thrash era, they probably don't want to release compilations of thrash songs because they no longer identify with that period in their lives.

And they can't make a compilation out of the shit they released after that because none of it's worthy of being compiled into a "best of" album.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
09.01.2012 - 18:25
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.01.2012 at 17:54
Well since they moved away from their thrash era, they probably don't want to release compilations of thrash songs because they no longer identify with that period in their lives.

And they can't make a compilation out of the shit they released after that because none of it's worthy of being compiled into a "best of" album.

Okay, there's some major problems here with that being a logical explanation for why they've never released a best of/compilation:

First off, there are countless examples of bands who have deviated from their original sounds who have released compilations/best of albums (Queensryche, Judas Priest, Megadeth, Annihilator, Kreator, and Anthrax just to name a few), so saying it's because Metallica moved away from thrash that they haven't released such a compilation really makes no sense whatsoever. It's also wrong to say they no longer identify with that period in their lives, as they quite clearly cherish that period of their career.

Secondly, Metallica are hardly not going to release a compilation because you and some others think everything they released after that is "shit". They themselves do not think that, and more importantly, they know many of their fans also do not think that. So they could still release a compilation featuring those songs, and they'd make easy money from it. So again, that makes no sense as a logical reason for why they wouldn't release such a compilation.
10.01.2012 - 00:50
RavenKing

That's not a reason. Nothing Iron Maiden released after "Seventh Son" is worthy of being compiled into a Best Of and it doesn't prevent them to release useless compilations every now and then.
----
10.01.2012 - 00:55
RavenKing

Written by Angelic Storm on 09.01.2012 at 06:52

How do you know that those bands have total control over what their record company releases? If it is true that Metallica have that level of control over their releases, I find it all the more amazing that they've never released such a compilation. I can't think of another big band who has been going for more than 20 years that doesn't have some sort of "hits" compilation on the market. They should definitely be commended for that, even if for nothing else, by the haters.

I don't know. Perhaps they simply don't like compilations and, since they are so rich and have so many other ways to make lots of money, they just don't bother for compilations.

But you have a point. As much as I hate Metallica, I can't blame them for compilations, unlike Iron Maiden.
----
10.01.2012 - 01:10
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by RavenKing on 10.01.2012 at 00:55
I don't know. Perhaps they simply don't like compilations and, since they are so rich and have so many other ways to make lots of money, they just don't bother for compilations.

But you have a point. As much as I hate Metallica, I can't blame them for compilations, unlike Iron Maiden.

While that may or may not have some basis in fact, there are a lot of other bands who are rich but also release compilations. If being rich is why Metallica aren't doing it, why are other bands who are also rich still releasing pointless compilations/best ofs?

Iron Maiden are a good example. They probably aren't any less rich than Metallica, so why are they releasing these compilations when Metallica are not?
10.01.2012 - 01:28
RavenKing

Written by Angelic Storm on 10.01.2012 at 01:10

Written by RavenKing on 10.01.2012 at 00:55

While that may or may not have some basis in fact, there are a lot of other bands who are rich but also release compilations. If being rich is why Metallica aren't doing it, why are other bands who are also rich still releasing pointless compilations/best ofs?

Iron Maiden are a good example. They probably aren't any less rich than Metallica, so why are they releasing these compilations when Metallica are not?

It's a really hard question to answer. I don't know why Metallica never jumped in the bandwagon when it comes to compilations.
I really can't find a logical explanation. Like you said, other bands don't need at all to release compilations to make lots of money but they do it.
But I must admit I agree with Metallica's approach in this case.
----
10.01.2012 - 02:46
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Note to self: Don't ever make jokes about Metallica. People can't handle your sense of humor.
----
10.01.2012 - 02:48
Mattybu

Well Iron Maiden did exactly that, From Fear To Eternity limited itself to only their lame albums... One of the dumbest releases in the compilation landscape IMO
10.01.2012 - 02:53
Mattybu

Written by Angelic Storm on 09.01.2012 at 18:25

Secondly, Metallica are hardly not going to release a compilation because you and some others think everything they released after that is "shit". They themselves do not think that,

I find that few artists are willing to criticize their own stuff.. In the MA interview Illud Divinum Insanus was called "a great record", Metallica has openly defended Lulu (Lulu.), so it's hard to trust bands. I personally would not believe it if Metallica was interviewed and said Load, Reload, or St. Anger was good.

I like how Dave Mustaine called Risk shitty in his book, it proves he at least somewhat is willing to buck up about things.
10.01.2012 - 03:07
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.01.2012 at 02:46

Note to self: Don't ever make jokes about Metallica. People can't handle your sense of humor.

You're either backtracking, or you seriously need to start telling more humorous jokes... or even jokes that actually resemble jokes. The post I replied to looked like a totally legitimate, and serious post, there was no hint of humor at all. And that's how it appeared to everyone else I'd imagine, gathering by the replies...

@Hundred: Dave most likely is only saying that about Risk, because he knows it's what most of his fans think. Like he only went back to thrash to try and retrieve those fans. Why would Metallica bad mouth "Load" etc, if that's not what they really feel? Now that would be poseurdom at it's worst.
10.01.2012 - 03:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Dave is actually the worst poser/poseur to ever grace the face of this earth.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.01.2012 - 03:16
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.01.2012 at 03:13

The "worst on earth" is a bold statement, but I would agree that he is a poser. If "Risk" had brought him the stardom he craved, he likely would be stating he loves the album now.
10.01.2012 - 06:28
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Angelic Storm on 10.01.2012 at 03:07
You're either backtracking...

I don't backtrack. I just happen to forget that the ultra serious Metallica defenders can't handle a bad word or two about their fave band.

I don't care enough about them as a band to care whether or not people read into my posts as serious or humorous.

And for the case of being on topic, I don't care about Anthrax or this album either, since a compilation of their best music would just be a re-release of Spreading the Disease.
----
10.01.2012 - 08:05
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.01.2012 at 06:28
I don't backtrack. I just happen to forget that the ultra serious Metallica defenders can't handle a bad word or two about their fave band.

I don't care enough about them as a band to care whether or not people read into my posts as serious or humorous.

And for the case of being on topic, I don't care about Anthrax or this album either, since a compilation of their best music would just be a re-release of Spreading the Disease.

Metallica are not my fave band, and how can I not handle a bad word or two being said about them, when I myself have criticised them? Ravenking hates Metallica, and from Hundred's responses, I think it's safe to say he doesn't fall into the category of blind Metallica fanboy either. Yet they also both responded to your post as if you had made a serious point.

You may not care about it, but if you present your post in a serious format, then you shouldn't be shocked when people take it as being serious.
16.01.2012 - 19:39
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Another Anthrax comp?

take a drink.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.01.2012 - 02:26
RavenKing

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.01.2012 at 03:13

I thought this title belonged to Joey DeMaio...
----
19.01.2012 - 03:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Apparently this sold a whopping 64, sixty four, copies, in the US in its first week after release
to compare... Worship Him sold 280,000 in its first week and We've Come For... just under 100,000 in its first week.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.01.2012 - 03:58
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.01.2012 at 03:37

Apparently this sold a whopping 64, sixty four, copies, in the US in its first week after release
to compare... Worship Him sold 280,000 in its first week and We've Come For... just under 100,000 in its first week.

Wow, thats low.

so they made like $8 off of this.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
19.01.2012 - 04:01
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.01.2012 at 03:37

this compilation is released by Universal music; they release every mainstream/famous band - pop, rock, metal and god knows what. Metalheads won't buy this.
19.01.2012 - 04:05
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
That's not the reason this doesn't sell. The reason is it another cheaply done cashgrab affair of a washed up band. And finally people are catching on.

Btw 64 copies in its first week? Even an unknown band on a unknown label sells more
hopefully this will hit home to Scott and Charlies and show them what Anthrax really is nowadays.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 6053 | This month: 27