03. The Prophecy Of The Great Sleep
04. Regression Within The Hive
05. Disturbance Of The Coccoon
06. The Marshall Prophecy
07. Pakuni Shaman Chant Of The Altrusian Moth

Staff review by
BitterCOld
Rating:
Five months ago I reviewed Sleestak's 2010 release, Skylon Express? in retrospect, underscoring it. Call it an 8. In any case I drew a comparison between them and the band immediately preceding them on my mp3 player, Sleep. Five months and one release later, they have furthered that comparison. Kind of. So I'm gonna run with that as my intro bit. Stoner Doom/Rock Sleep followed up their awesome Holy Mountain with the monolithic one track Dopesmoker? Stoner Doom/Rock Sleestak followed up their awesome Skylon Express with a "one track" epic The Fall Of Altrusia.

Read more ››
published 19.07.2011 | Comments (27)

In their follow-up to Skylon Express the lizardmen of Sleestak have let loose an engulfing and bewildering blend that mixes stoner doom with all sorts of various space-prog rock elements. Crushing doom riffs are followed by prolonged mellow sections that have you experiencing flashbacks... even if you never dropped acid.

These creepy hissing folks are a hell of a lot better writing songs than shooting their tiny little crossbows...

BitterCOld's picks | More picks ››

Found in 8 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 12   Visited by: 161 users
08.01.2012 - 18:17
Rating: 9
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Very good album indeed. Obviously overlooked by many but deserves the spotlight.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
09.01.2012 - 03:08
Susan
Smeghead
Very much overlooked! But BitterCOld wrote a great review, now I'm yelling about it all over the place, so hopefully it'll get some more attention

It's one of those albums where everyone who has heard it likes it... we just need to get more people to actually listen to it.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
04.02.2012 - 07:20
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Such a good album! Just got around to listening to it recently.
----
Coldgrits
05.02.2012 - 21:50
Sleestak

Hi, was just reading the album info above. I know some places we list Jon as a session violin player but he has never recorded with us. He was supposed to play violin on the studio version of "Altrusia" but we couldnt merge schedules and we were on a time crunch. We do have an old live version with him playing on it recorded back in '06 I believe. He was actually a main part of the band for about a year and we did write a song with him specifically but never did anything with it except for one live performance, it was called "Spiraling Tower Of Human Bones". We may call on him for the next studio effort though...
16.02.2012 - 11:36
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Altrusian Moon - A Lo-Fi Collection Of Psychedelia and Space Rock came out recently and it's just as listenable. Good, good, good.
----
Coldgrits
15.06.2012 - 17:26
InnerSelf
proofread free
Just finishing my first play through and oh do I regret not listening to it last year, it sounds like top 10 material. And on a different but related note : thank god for Bandcamp
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
15.06.2012 - 21:36
Rating: 8
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by InnerSelf on 15.06.2012 at 17:26

Just finishing my first play through and oh do I regret not listening to it last year, it sounds like top 10 material. And on a different but related note : thank god for Bandcamp

Yea, BitterCold brought to my attention how much of an idiot I am: Sleestak are from my hometown, Milwaukee. Never knew about them until he rec'd me this album. Good stuff.
----
rekt
17.06.2012 - 16:19
Ag Fox
Angel No More

you've committed the sin of voting before listening to all the nominees? *gasps*
----
loves 小巫
17.06.2012 - 19:41
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Ag Fox on 17.06.2012 at 16:19

you've committed the sin of voting before listening to all the nominees? *gasps*

I did *hides his face and runs to weep in the corner*
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
14.07.2013 - 08:43
theembryo

"Disturbance of the Cocoon" Fucking brilliant!
12.10.2017 - 17:44
Rating: 8
musclassia

Remember tagging this to listen to years ago, finally got round to giving it a go. Not sold on the vocals, but really like the musical side - a really good mix of stoner, post-metal (very obvious Isis influences, which is good cos it's done well) and prog, would say Disturbance of the Cocoon and Exiled From The City stood out the most on first listen but it was all pretty great overall
16.06.2023 - 13:29
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
I don't know how many rounds I galloped on and every time it has come to crush my weak fucking soul.

Monstrous record.

Hits total: 7686 | This month: 14