05. Break The Ban
06. Like A Man
07. Wish
08. Seducer
09. Wise Up
10. Children Of The Grave
11. Prelude
12. The Storm

"Bang!" is the last album of the Swiss Thrashers of Gurd. Maybe that you don't know this band, so you'll have to know that they released their first album in 1995 and so, they're not newcomers. I remember that I had the luck to discover this band a bit later with the excellent "Down The Drain" a good old Thrash album full of catchy and groovy riffs. "Bang!" the new release if nothing new, nonetheless it's still a catchy music?

Without any doubts, US Thrash bands like Suicidal Tendencies, Pantera and Biohazard influenced Gurd. Without the "rap" side of Biohazard, Gurd plays this kind of Thrash with basic but effective guitars riffs and "groovy" attitude. This is a pure "in your face" music, simple on a side but catchy nonetheless. So, if you like this side of Thrash Metal and if you're a fan of all those US bands which were all so famous during the 90's I doubt that you'll not like "Bang!"

However, Spring, one of the most influential members of the combo chose to leave Gurd lately to create a new project, The Order. And now I think that his influences are a bit missing on the last album, though, one more time I have to add that Gurd just follows its way to play music. That's the main problem of the release, it's good to listen to this album, a lot of songs are nice and catchy and you'll like to headbang on the music but we don't have any risks too and when I listen to the album, I just have the feeling that we're still in the 90's with old Gurd's albums. At the end, I think that Gurd should try to take some risks I'm definitely sure that they're able to do something new too, they did something new and different back in time, so why not now too?

If you're not looking for something hyper original and just effective, if you still love some US "groovy" Thrash bands of the 90's or if you're just a fan of Gurd, you can have a look on "Bang!". There is nothing really new here (unfortunately) but the riffs just work, so why not?

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written by Jeff | 18.10.2006

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 7 users
18.10.2006 - 20:14
Herzebeth

Dude, I don't know this band..I know you rated them with a 6.8 (which means not good)...but dude, that cover artwork it's one of the most uhm..uhm..cool I've seen in a while and the cover alone made me want to get this piece lol.
----

Hits total: 3386 | This month: 11