Metal Storm logo
Most influential metal album released the last 15 years.

Original post

Posted by Aristarchos, 10.01.2012 - 15:22
In the early 90's many new influential bands came and some new sub-genres emerged. But since late 90's not much new have happen. Bands are mixing the already existing sub-genres instead of creating new ones. The last new sub-genre I could think of that has emerged is post-metal, and that was with Neurosis' "Through Silver In Blood". The same year Therion released "Theli", which could be said turned symphonic metal into a sub-genre. But what have happened since then? OK, maybe djent has developed into a genre on it's own, but that is so far a very small genre.

So my question is: what is the most influential metal album the last 15 years, or since 1997 to date? I'm not asking about albums you think will be influential for the future, but for albums which influence have been proven.

1997 saw the release of HammerFall's "Glory to the brave", which is usually considered to be the album that made power metal popular again. But since that album only reinvented the 80's sound, and most of the newer bands were more influenced by older power metal bands like Helloween and Stratovarius, I can't say that is the most influential release.

The same year Rhapsody's "Legendary Tales" saw it's release. I personally think that was a more influential album since it brought in some new element to the power metal genre, the symphonics.

And then we have the nu metal scene, which was big in early 00's, but it was based on KoRn's debut released in 1994, so I can't think of any very important release in that genre, and the most commercial bands like Linkin Park could not be considered metal to me.

The nu metal hype was replaced by metalcore. I can't think of any specific metalcore album that has been influential. Most metalcore bands name In Flames and At The Gates' "Slaughter Of The Soul" (released in 1995) as their main influence, or maybe bands like Pantera and Sepultura (but that is early 90's).

We also have the folk metal scene, but although it has gained popularity in the 00's, it has been around since early 90's and the band Skyclad, and then a lot of different bands have emerged. I think Finntroll is the band that is most responsible for making the genre popular, or do you have any suggestions on any specific influential album in the genre released since 1997?

My vote for the most influential metal album since 1997 goes to Children of Bodom's "Something Wild", which (together with their later releases) is a typical example of how metal has evolved the last 15 years. Instead of creating new genres they are mixing as many genres as possible, and started what here usually is refered to as "extreme power metal", and had many followers.

edit: I have since I started this thread changed my mind, and I now think that Isis' "Oceanic" could be considered the most influential album. Neurosis was earlier (and definitely more influential, but outside the timeframe with their most influential album), but Isis expanded the sound further, and there are a lot of bands who have followed their path. I think that post metal is the genre that have evolved the most since 1997.
06.10.2012 - 16:11
Aristarchos

Written by Guest on 05.10.2012 at 12:45

Alright, I'm not gonna go on with the reasons why Amon Amarth is the most influential one, since it's probably factually wrong anyway. But one thing they did for sure is make Metal fun again, which is, for an eighties metal soul like me something to treasure.
And I can't talk about Opeth, since Fates Warning is as progressive as I can go. Ha.
Now let's grab a beer. Another one.

I would also add that for me metal has never been about image or attitude or being fun, for me metal has always been about music. You're calling Amon Amarth the Manowar of 2000's and that may be so, but in my world that isn't anything positive. I think Manowar was a good band, but I have never been a fan of their macho image. I can understand that Amon Amarth could be seen as an important band for those who just want metal to be fun, and I respect that there are people who want metal to be just fun, but since I'm not one of them, perhaps that's why I never really got into Amon Amarth, although I love a lot of other swedish death metal bands.

And sorry, but I don't drink beer, but you can have one.
07.10.2012 - 23:46
carnageofreason
Account deleted
Written by Aristarchos on 06.10.2012 at 16:11

Written by Guest on 05.10.2012 at 12:45

Written by Aristarchos on 04.10.2012 at 17:22

Written by Guest on 26.09.2012 at 13:06

Written by Aristarchos on 24.09.2012 at 13:42

Written by Guest on 17.09.2012 at 22:21

Well, the band that actually stands out for me in the 2000s is Amon Amarth, they are the ones who came back with the link between classic and metal the way Manowar did years before.
Yes, Amon Amarth are the Manowar of Death Metal.
And their albums are a pleasure to the ears, and they have the attitude.
Versus the World rules, but every Amon Amarth album has a song that goes directly in history.
Strangely and fortunately enough, metal bands don't dare copying them that much.

If not many bands copying them, I can't consider any of their albums the most influential since 97, which this thread is about.

Well, if you wanna talk semantics, you can't reduce the influence of a band to a strict musical one.
The image, the attitude, the resonance on other styles are other aspects that you have to take into consideration. It's not more about how many copycats it spawned, than about what it did for Metal in general, and in this light, I think Amon Amarth delivered. The most influential artists are also often the most difficult to copy.
And remember that a thread is a way to discuss things, if there was one answer to any subject, forums would get boring very fast.
Thanks for the interest though.

Don't take my comment too seriously. I'm actually very glad for every suggestion I get in this thread. And I agree that often it is the most influential artists that is the most difficult to copy. You can't for example deny the influence of Venom and Mercyful Fate, but I don't know how many bands there are that sounds exactly like them. But I'm not really sure what Amon Amarth have contributed to metal to be considered one of the most influential bands in recent years, at least if you compare to Opeth, Isis etc. but that is just my opinion and I could be wrong, and I respect that you have your opinion. I only think it is interesting to discuss things like this. And with the image, I don't think there is anything special with their viking image, since bands have had viking images since Bathory (and already in the 70's the american heavy metal band Legend introduced a viking image), but once again, this is just my opinion.

Alright, I'm not gonna go on with the reasons why Amon Amarth is the most influential one, since it's probably factually wrong anyway. But one thing they did for sure is make Metal fun again, which is, for an eighties metal soul like me something to treasure.
And I can't talk about Opeth, since Fates Warning is as progressive as I can go. Ha.
Now let's grab a beer. Another one.

I would also add that for me metal has never been about image or attitude or being fun, for me metal has always been about music. You're calling Amon Amarth the Manowar of 2000's and that may be so, but in my world that isn't anything positive. I think Manowar was a good band, but I have never been a fan of their macho image. I can understand that Amon Amarth could be seen as an important band for those who just want metal to be fun, and I respect that there are people who want metal to be just fun, but since I'm not one of them, perhaps that's why I never really got into Amon Amarth, although I love a lot of other swedish death metal bands.

And sorry, but I don't drink beer, but you can have one.

Man, you could seriously use a beer.
Just let go off things alright.
08.10.2012 - 14:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Stop the fucking quote train
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.10.2012 - 13:00
Aristarchos

Written by Guest on 07.10.2012 at 23:46

Man, you could seriously use a beer.
Just let go off things alright.

If you want metal to be fun, how about Finntroll? I personally find them both more fun and more innovative than Amon Amarth.
20.10.2012 - 15:14
Aristarchos

Written by Guest on 16.09.2012 at 13:31

The only truly ground-breaking album from that period that I can think of now is "Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale."

Thanks for your suggestion, but I would be even more thankful if you explain a little better why this album have been so ground-breaking. Personally I'm not a fan of what I heard by them, although I respect them, but I must admit I haven't heard the album you mention.
21.10.2012 - 03:08
Lit.
Account deleted
Someone has to be influenced by Hellbilly Deluxe.
23.10.2012 - 02:41
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I guess I could also add Emperor's "Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk" if it hasn't already been mentioned here. I shouldn't have to say it since we all know it, but it was still a big release for black metal in general.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
31.10.2012 - 17:31
Aristarchos

Written by CobiWan1993 on 23.10.2012 at 02:41

I guess I could also add Emperor's "Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk" if it hasn't already been mentioned here. I shouldn't have to say it since we all know it, but it was still a big release for black metal in general.

Yes, that one is really a good candidate, although I personally find it a bit too symphonic for my own taste. I hadn't had a thought that it was released within the timeframe, but it was released in 1997.
19.11.2012 - 18:33
Aristarchos

Another album that I was thinking of that hasn't been mentioned is Alcest's Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde. Not really the most influential since 1997, but perhaps the most influential since 2007, when it was released, since that was the album that, to my knowledge, started the entire blackgaze genre.
25.03.2013 - 19:44
Aristarchos

Written by Aristarchos on 20.10.2012 at 15:14

Written by Guest on 16.09.2012 at 13:31

The only truly ground-breaking album from that period that I can think of now is "Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale."

Thanks for your suggestion, but I would be even more thankful if you explain a little better why this album have been so ground-breaking. Personally I'm not a fan of what I heard by them, although I respect them, but I must admit I haven't heard the album you mention.

I have checked out that album now, and yes it is really innovative. it has a completely different sound then sham mirrors, and I find la masquerade more interesting. I still would say that emperor's anthems has been the most influential black metal album since 1997 though.
27.03.2013 - 14:43
Jtbmetal123

Major influence to me is Slipknot self titled.
28.03.2013 - 13:34
Metal_Elle

Without any hesitation, I would probably say Iron Maiden - "brave new world".
28.03.2013 - 20:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Metal_Elle on 28.03.2013 at 13:34

how has that album been influential to ayone?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.03.2013 - 15:22
Metal_Elle

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.03.2013 at 20:23

At least, it was for me. Because the music I'm composing has some elements from this album, as the modern keyboards sounds and fine riffs.
26.04.2013 - 18:35
Aristarchos

It helped a lot to bring the metal genre to the mainstream in the early 00's. At least in Sweden it was that and HammerFall's Renegade which took metal to the mainstream.
26.04.2013 - 22:34
SuicidalCyco
Account deleted
Were there any albums from the 90s besides maybe Pantera's or some death metal that any lasting influence? I honestly can't think of any, maybe because I kind of just blow off the 90s because it was pretty much the worst for thrash. But at the same time good for death metal. But from 1997 on I personally can't think of anything that had any extreme lasting influence.
28.04.2013 - 16:58
Malphas

You're forgetting that the 90s were the golden era of black metal too
----
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
29.04.2013 - 02:20
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Malphas on 28.04.2013 at 16:58

You're forgetting that the 90s were the golden era of black metal too

Actually, since we're talking about stuff post-1997, most bands off the top of my head either released their best stuff before 1997 and/or just plain sucked by 1997. For example: Bathory's good stuff was way before 1997. Dissection's first two albums were before 1997, Emperor's Anthems was put out in 1997 but Eclipse (which is arguably more influential) was put out in 1994, as was Mayhem's De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas. Darkthrone's "unholy trinity" was way before 1997 and they turned to suckage by that year, as did Burzum. Satyricon's only good album Nemesis Divina was released exactly on year before. Behemoth, I guess, was black metal before 1997 but didn't stick to it and turned death metal-ish by 1997.
Enslaved, Immortal and Gorgoroth's Under The Sign of Hell are the only ones that, to my knowledge, can be considered influential in black metal post-1997.
29.04.2013 - 17:33
Malphas

That on the other hand is true xD what's also...at least possibly "influential" from that scene from 97 (and comes to my mind as we speek) would be Dimmu Borgirs Enthrone Darkness Triumphant and their last good album to date, Spiritual Black Dimensions from 99
----
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
15.07.2013 - 19:48
Aristarchos

Written by Guest on 26.04.2013 at 22:34

Were there any albums from the 90s besides maybe Pantera's or some death metal that any lasting influence? I honestly can't think of any, maybe because I kind of just blow off the 90s because it was pretty much the worst for thrash. But at the same time good for death metal. But from 1997 on I personally can't think of anything that had any extreme lasting influence.

There has been many albums from the 90's that have been influential. Especially in alternative metal, but also in black, gothic and images and words in prog.
16.07.2013 - 11:50
Warman
Erotic Stains
I'd say one of Children of Bodom's first three releases, or one of Nightwish earlier works are the most influential during the last 15 (or rather 16 now) years. Maybe something by In Flames though. Maybe even Cradle of Filth? Or maybe not. But CoB, Nightwish and In Flames released some solid metal classics and from there worked their way up to be metal bands most have heard of. Although it's impossible to point out the album during these years which have had the most impact on the whole metal scene.
----
21.07.2013 - 18:56
mz

Might be blackwater park
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
21.07.2013 - 23:14
Berserk

Written by Metal_Elle on 31.03.2013 at 15:22

At least, it was for me. Because the music I'm composing has some elements from this album, as the modern keyboards sounds and fine riffs.

I wish.. maybe if it was more influential, all that sludge, stoner, black doom, grindcore, etc.. garbage "metal" wouldn't be getting so damn popular on this site
----
Fear the Old Blood
22.07.2013 - 20:50
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Berserk on 21.07.2013 at 23:14

I wish.. maybe if it was more influential, all that sludge, stoner, black doom, grindcore, etc.. garbage "metal" wouldn't be getting so damn popular on this site

Personally, I rather have that than generic latter-day Iron Maiden and other rip-off bands.
And what the heck are you doing on this site if you don't like those genres? If it's such a problem...
22.07.2013 - 23:23
mz

Written by Berserk on 21.07.2013 at 23:14

was my immediate reaction after reading your comment. You'd better stick to your Steel Panther and let the others enjoy their "garbage metal"
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
23.07.2013 - 04:05
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by mz on 22.07.2013 at 23:23

You'd better stick to your Steel Panther and let the others enjoy their "garbage metal"

Bitch, don't you be dissin' Steel Panther.
23.07.2013 - 10:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 23.07.2013 at 04:05

Written by mz on 22.07.2013 at 23:23

You'd better stick to your Steel Panther and let the others enjoy their "garbage metal"

Bitch, don't you be dissin' Steel Panther.

Indeed. Steel Panther are awesome, especially live.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.07.2013 - 12:42
theFIST

I"d say Origin - Informis Infinitas Inhumanitas
At least to my knowledge technical death metal before was a diverse bunch of bands playing somewhat complex death metal, while now most seem to build on the clean origin sound
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
25.07.2013 - 18:39
Infernal Eternal

As of power metal (the thread started with it) I would say Nightfall In Middle Earth wa more influential than Glory To The Brave and Legendary Tales.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
01.08.2013 - 14:04
Lethrokai

Written by Guest on 26.04.2013 at 22:34

I'd say that this was when Dream Theater became very influential. Like it or not, the amount of change that was brought in by Scenes From A Memory to the metal genre was huge!
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.