07. A Seaside Serenade
08. Darkened Days To Come
09. Coming Down
10. This Lonely Lake
11. Fading Star
12. The Enigma Of Life
13. Oscura Realidad [bonus]
14. The Enigma Of Life [acoustic version] [bonus]

Sirenia have returned to us almost exactly two years after their fourth album, The 13th Floor. I'll be honest, back in June 2010 when I first heard that Sirenia was making a new album, I was shocked for a few reasons. 1) The 13th Floor still felt new to me. 2) The songs on the new album would feel rushed because of the short wait, and 3) It's with the same singer! Holy Jesus! 2012 is coming! Yes, they have the same singer for this album. Anyway, so I was very excited when previews for The Enigma of Life were available. The previews were very good and I really did think this would be the best Sirenia record. Let's just say I was a little off.

The album is, well, just like the last one. The melodies are the same, the lyrics are the same, etc. A summation of the lyrics are as follows: "lost, fading, the end, ending, this is the end, dreams, dreams that fade, pass away, dark lane." That's all you need to know. As far as the music goes, well, again it's recycled. "The Twilight in Your Eyes" is identical to "The Path to Decay", "A Seaside Serenade" is identical to the bridge of "The Seventh Summer", "This Darkness" sounds like "Sundown", the intro to "Fading Star" sounds just like "Farther Away" (oh wait, that's by Evanescence!). And I'm sure there are more that I missed. So, basically this is a softer carbon copy of The 13th Floor.

Who do I recommend this album to? Not many people, just Morten Veland fanboys and gals. If you're looking to sample Sirenia, Stay away! I repeat stay away! If you're into heavier music, try At Sixes and Sevens. If you're into lighter but still gothic music, try Nine Destinies and a Downfall or you could try The 13th Floor if you can stomach some growls.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 5
Songwriting: 3
Originality: 3
Production: 8

Written by burnmeupinside | 20.06.2011

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
KwonVerge
Rating:
Morten Veland doesn't require any introduction, anyone interested in gothic metal has a special place in his heart concerning this Norwegian musician whose love for gothic rock and metal at the same time inspired him to walk upon his own path in the scene. The years have passed though and inspiration doesn't last forever, even if your role on early Tristania was crucial and you hold aces in the pack just like At Sixes And Sevens and An Elixir For Existence.

Read more ››
published 20.06.2011 | Comments (25)

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 24 users
11.01.2012 - 17:06
CyberSymphony
Ollie
This review says it all about Sirenia.

Hits total: 3507 | This month: 3