Release date: September 1993

01. Walk The Path Of Sorrow
02. Dark Medieval Times
03. Skyggedans
04. Min Hyllest Til Vinterland
05. Into The Mighty Forest
06. The Dark Castle In The Deep Forest
07. Taakeslottet

Satyricon are one of the oldest of the Norwegian bands to form during the black metal boom of the '90s, helping to pioneer the sound alongside projects such as Burzum, Darkthrone, and Gorgoroth. Dark Medieval Times is the band's full-length debut, and it represents perfectly what black metal is all about.

That being said, Satyr and Frost weren't writing aimlessly in order to fit into the grim and frostbitten image that has since become more or less a stereotypical mockery. This is forward-thinking and somewhat experimental even for what many consider to be a relic.

The most notable elements responsible for the thick, icy atmosphere are the elegance and darkness that are projected by the incredibly distorted guitars. Of course, the "bad" - as in "not bad" - production paints an even more primitive picture than some of modern day's most lo-fi releases, yet the acoustic interludes make their way to the forefront without so much as a scratch. The transition between the grandpa's guitars and the electricals isn't exactly something to be desired, but on the whole it's not distracting enough to break your black metal trance.

Two key pieces to the puzzle help this album stand out from the rest in its division - vocals... and songwriting. Satyr's venomous shrieks play two roles: adding to the dark atmosphere, and toying along with the already evil-sounding riffs - something his bitter screams do perfectly. And while the acoustic interludes may not be the best transitionally, the album still flows evenly from beginning to end.

Primarily responsible for the elegant vibe is the keyboard. Subtle in its approach, and not so cheesy as to take away from the "serious" approach of the music, the keyboard on this album introduces some lighter expression without stopping to plant flowers. Add in some folkloric flute work to the multidimensional distorted riffs and you're in for quite an unorthodox concoction.

And don't worry about not being pleased with the extremity: Frost's near-supernatural work behind the drum kit is sure to keep your kvlt status in check.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 10

Written on 14.01.2012 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments

Comments: 12   Visited by: 175 users
14.01.2012 - 03:34
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Strange of you reviewing this album at this point in history

Lovely album indeed, I had lots of chances to purchase it and I missed them all.
Next time I won't fail.
14.01.2012 - 03:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Unhealer on 14.01.2012 at 03:34
Lovely album indeed, I had lots of chances to purchase it and I missed them all.
Next time I won't fail.

I just felt like reviewing something I'm already really familiar with... and I don't have anything new to hype at the moment.

I'm sure you can find a reissue on some online distro though.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.01.2012 - 04:59
Rating: 9
Septicfish

Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.01.2012 at 03:45

Next time I won't fail.

I just felt like reviewing something I'm already really familiar with... and I don't have anything new to hype at the moment.

I bought my copy at HMV for a few dollars, but that's only if you live in Canada/UK. I only know what I experience and see, so I hope you don't miss out on this wonderful album.
----
Ave Lucifer cornuta Magnus, Sanctus Satanas, dator vitae aeternae et signifer libero.
14.01.2012 - 05:31
RavenKing

Written by Septicfish on 14.01.2012 at 04:59

Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.01.2012 at 03:45

Next time I won't fail.

I bought my copy at HMV for a few dollars, but that's only if you live in Canada/UK. I only know what I experience and see, so I hope you don't miss out on this wonderful album.

In Canada, you can find the album at HMV or Archambault for only a little bit over 10$.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
14.01.2012 - 06:50
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by RavenKing on 14.01.2012 at 05:31
In Canada, you can find the album at HMV or Archambault for only a little bit over 10$.

Good news. Looks like I have a reason to look for a job.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.01.2012 - 14:04
Rating: 10
lord artan

I love this album
15.01.2012 - 03:16
Slinky666
Account deleted
This album is hit.
15.01.2012 - 15:01
Rating: 9
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Even though this kind of black metal is a part of the past for me, still I remember when I first heard the Walk The Paths of Sorrow, or Taakeslottet. Such a gem is hard to find even within the Norsk Arisk Black Metal.
----
18.01.2012 - 18:43
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Pretty much one of the best albums of all time. Awesome!!
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
13.08.2012 - 02:25
Rating: 8
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
After giving this album a couple of more serious spins. I definitely enjoy it more than I remember. I would take a full point of your rating though. There's close to no transition at all between acoustic and BM and that IS pretty damn distracting to me at times. This album would have gained so much if the transitions were smoother. That seems to be its only flaw so I can't be that harsh since I enjoyed everything else.

Great album.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
18.05.2013 - 10:10
Rating: 10
Copernicus

No other album has this "sehnsucht" and "mist" atmosphere...10 from me
15.11.2017 - 15:00
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Copernicus on 18.05.2013 at 10:10

No other album has this "sehnsucht" and "mist" atmosphere...10 from me

There are many of new bands as well, just check out scene regularly and outside Norway.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 6998 | This month: 10