Metal Storm logo
Why These Are My Favourite Albums: Avant-80s Selections From Perfect Or Near-Perfect Works

Thumbs up: +3
Here they are, in order of year, and order of personal preference within each year. My utterly favourite songs from pre-1980 classics, rendered in my never-really-humble opinion, as everything should be.

Yes, that last bit may have been a touch of sarcasm. But this isn't. With few exceptions, every song on each album that made the list rocks - that's why I've rated them 9 or 10 - but these are my absolute favourites:

[Expect to see [a] Taste record[s] from around the same time make an appearance at some point in the future; Judas Priest and more Cream... we'll see] (if I were to expand the list by half-a-dozen right now, yes it's safe (almost certain) to say they'd be all the second albums not already mentioned, put out by those whom did 4/5/6/9/10/20 on the list, or either Taste or Priest)

Created by: Syk | 12.01.2012

1. Deep Purple - Shades Of Deep Purple
1968 - Prelude: Happiness/I'm So Glad, Mandrake Root, Help!, Hey Joe
2. Neil Young - Neil Young
1968 - The Loner, I've Been Waiting for You, What Did You Do to My Life, Last Trip to Tulsa
3. Jethro Tull - This Was
1968 - My Sunday Feeling, Serenade to a Cuckoo, Dharma for One, Cat's Squirrel, One for John Gee
4. Cream - Wheels of Fire
1968 - White Room, Those Were the Days, Crossroads (live at Winterland ? not Fillmore!)
5. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland
1968 - Crosstown Traffic, Little Miss Strange, Gypsy Eyes and the last three songs
6. Deep Purple - Deep Purple
1969 - Chasing Shadows, Blind, Fault Line/The Painter, April
7. Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
1969 - Cinnamon Girl, Down by the River, Running Dry (Requiem for The Rockets), Cowgirl in the Sand
8. Jethro Tull - Stand Up
1969 - A New Day Yesterday, Nothing Is Easy, We Used to Know, For a Thousand Mothers
9. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
1969 - Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, Dazed and Confused, I Can't Quit You Baby, How Many More Times
10. Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
1970 - Black Sabbath, The Wizard, N.I.B, The Warning
11. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin III
1970 - Immigrant Song, Friends, Celebration Day, Since I've Been Loving You, Tangerine
12. Jethro Tull - Benefit
1970 - With You There to Help Me, To Cry You a Song, Play in Time, Singing All Day, Just Trying to Be
13. Deep Purple - Fireball
1971 - Fireball, Demon's Eye, Fools, No One Came, I'm Alone, Freedom, Slow Train
14. Jethro Tull - Aqualung
1971 - Aqualung, Cheap Day Return, Up to Me, My God, Locomotive Breath, Wind Up [Quad version]
15. Neil Young - Harvest
1972 - everything 3-10
16. Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick
17. Jethro Tull - A Passion Play
1973 - The Story of the Hare Who Lost His Spectacles, Overseer Overture, Magus Perde
18. Led Zeppelin - Houses Of The Holy
1973 - The Rain Song, Over the Hills and Far Away, No Quarter, The Ocean
19. Neil Young - On the Beach
1974 - Walk On, Revolution Blues, For the Turnstiles, On the Beach
20. Rory Gallagher - Against the Grain
1975 - I'd almost say there are no missteps here, though song 4 or 5 can wear a bit too easily for some reason
21. Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Zuma
1975 - Danger Bird, Pardon My Heart, Cortez the Killer, Through My Sails (that last one = CSN&Y)
22. Black Sabbath - We Sold Our Soul For Rock N' Roll
1975 - War Pigs, others from BS/P + those whose titles begin with S or C
23. Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
1975 - In My Time of Dying, Kashmir, In the Light, Bron-Yr-Aur, Down by the Seaside, Ten Years Gone
24. Rush - 2112
1976 - 2112, A Passage to Bangkok, Lessons, Something for Nothing
25. Neil Young - Decade (compilation)
1977 - Southern Man, Ohio (CSN&Y again), Love Is a Rose, Campaigner
26. Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Live Rust (live)
1979 - When You Dance I Can Really Love, The Loner, Cortez the Killer + first three + last three tracks

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Syk ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 1   Visited by: 40 users
14.01.2012 - 15:39
Milena
gloom cookie
Oldies appreciation force!
----
7.0 means the album is good

Hits total: 2657 | This month: 2