Metal Storm logo
Ronnie James Dio - New Tribute Album In The Works

Ronnie James Dio's widow Wendy Dio has revealed that she will be putting together a tribute album to honor one of the greatest metal legends that ever lived, her husband. So far, names such as Rob Halford (Judas Priest), Lemmy Kilmister (Motörhead), Ian Gillan (Black Sabbath), Alice Cooper, Glenn Hughes (Black Sabbath), Sebastian Bach (Skid Row), Chris Jericho (Fozzy) and Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters) have promised to take part of the tribute, planned to be released until the end of the year.

It is also confirmed that Dave Grohl will be covering Black Sabbath's song "The Mob Rules" and Rob Halford from Judas Priest will do the same for Rainbow's "Long Live Rock 'n' Roll". All the artists will have complete creative freedom in the choosing and recording of the songs.

Source: loudwire.com
Band profile: Dio
Posted: 15.01.2012 by ArgoP

Comments page 2 / 2

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 39   [ 4 ignored ]   Visited by: 215 users
17.01.2012 - 09:39
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Will someone do Rainbow Eyes?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
17.01.2012 - 10:18
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by M C Vice on 16.01.2012 at 12:01
I've always thought that Over To You, the last song Ozzy sang on Never Say Die, would have worked well as a duet with Dio - sort of handing the raighns over to his successor ("I handed my future over to you").
I also reckon that Rising, Streetwalker, I, Fear and I Could Have Been A Dreamer should be on it (with Bruce Dickenson doing Streetwalker, or maybe Halford or Kiske).
And the guy who replaced Dio in Rainbow should be there, too. Also, I reckon Born Again was better than Mob Rules.

I've actually never thought that about that song until now, but yep it would have worked very well as a duet I think.

There are a lot of lesser known songs I'd like to see on this album, but I know there won't be many, if any. I think Bruce would be great on "Streetwalker", or something more darkly epic like "Gates Of Babylon". Gillan would do an awesome performance of the latter I think too, or "Computer God". I think Michael Kiske would do a great "Rock N' Roll Children", or "Stargazer".

You mean Graham Bonnet? That would certainly be very interesting to hear. As for "Born Again" being better than "Mob Rules"... "Mob Rules" would slightly edge it for me, but "Born Again" is still mostly great, and very underrated I think.

@Ravenking: Well, Sebastian isn't exactly a spring chicken anymore, but I can see what you're getting at. Even so, my intitial point that he fits into this project much better than Chris Jericho, is still a valid one I feel.
17.01.2012 - 13:49
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Irritable Ted on 17.01.2012 at 11:32
Would love to hear Stargazer, Gates Of Babylon, All The Fools Sailed Away, Shame On The Night, Egypt The Chains Are On, Evilution, Night People, Sunset Superman, Sacred Heart, Born On The Sun, Buried Alive, I, Bible Black or Shivers.

Absolutely perfect choices! All of them would be great to hear on this album. Also, "Time Machine", "I Speed At Night", "Falling Off The Edge Of The World", "Faces In The Window", "Jesus, Mary, & The Holy Ghost", "Killing The Dragon", "Lonely Is The Word"... I could go on forever actually...
18.01.2012 - 09:16
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Have they said who'll be playing the music?
How about this Dio Tribute Band:
Drums - Vinnie Apiece (Black Sabbath, Dio, Heaven & Hell)
Bass - Jimmy Bain (Rainbow, Dio)
Keys/piano - Micky Lee Soule (Elf)
and the ultimate dual guitar combo - Tony Iommi and Richie Blackmore
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
22.01.2012 - 14:59
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Irritable Ted on 22.01.2012 at 13:49
Faces In The Window, well anything from the Dream Evil album would be great. The Strange Highways and Master Of The Moon have some real overlooked gems. I hated Strange Highways when it came out, but now I get it. No salvation for Angry Machines and Magica though.

Pretty much agreed on everything here. "Dream Evil" might just be my favourite Dio solo album, so just about anything from that would be most welcome. Both "Strange Highways" and "Master Of The Moon" have many great songs on them despite being overlooked albums in his discography. "Angry Machines" and "Magica" are both weak albums, with the former album only containing one song I love. ("Don't Tell The Kids") "Magica" isn't quite as bad, but it's got an awful lot of filler on it.
22.01.2012 - 16:30
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Irritable Ted on 22.01.2012 at 15:09
I'd have to go for Hunter Of The Heart for the great bass line. Maybe This Is Your Life as well.

I think it says a lot about that album that I can't even recall what those songs sound like, and "Magica" is much the same for me...
22.01.2012 - 17:12
modercai
Account deleted
Why is Dave Grohl everywhere?
22.01.2012 - 21:45
Whoblehwah

1. Why do Ian Gillian and Glenn Hughes have Black Sabbath next to their names when both are more famous for being in Deep Purple? That just seems a bit off to me.

2. Lol at everyone crying about Chris Jericho. I hope Tenacious D is added to the line up just to make people cry even more.
22.01.2012 - 23:14
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Whoblehwah on 22.01.2012 at 21:45

1. Why do Ian Gillian and Glenn Hughes have Black Sabbath next to their names when both are more famous for being in Deep Purple? That just seems a bit off to me.

2. Lol at everyone crying about Chris Jericho. I hope Tenacious D is added to the line up just to make people cry even more.

1. It is likely because they have a strong connection with Dio, as all 3 were members of Sabbath.

2. Ironic, making a comment about crying which is in itself completely childish. Hurrah!

Hits total: 6077 | This month: 10