Metal Storm logo
Ronnie James Dio - New Tribute Album In The Works

Ronnie James Dio's widow Wendy Dio has revealed that she will be putting together a tribute album to honor one of the greatest metal legends that ever lived, her husband. So far, names such as Rob Halford (Judas Priest), Lemmy Kilmister (Motörhead), Ian Gillan (Black Sabbath), Alice Cooper, Glenn Hughes (Black Sabbath), Sebastian Bach (Skid Row), Chris Jericho (Fozzy) and Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters) have promised to take part of the tribute, planned to be released until the end of the year.

It is also confirmed that Dave Grohl will be covering Black Sabbath's song "The Mob Rules" and Rob Halford from Judas Priest will do the same for Rainbow's "Long Live Rock 'n' Roll". All the artists will have complete creative freedom in the choosing and recording of the songs.

Source: loudwire.com
Band profile: Dio
Posted: 15.01.2012 by ArgoP

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 39   [ 4 ignored ]   Visited by: 215 users
15.01.2012 - 13:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Ok ok all is good but who is Fozzy and Chris Jericho one more comersation , since I never heard about Fozzy
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.01.2012 - 15:40
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Irritable Ted on 15.01.2012 at 13:54

Hope they make a good job of it. Maybe they can do some of the more obsure songs, not just Holy Diver and Long Live Rock And Roll.

+1. I also like the names so far.
----
7.0 means the album is good
15.01.2012 - 18:22
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
As much as this sounds interesting, I think I might stick with the other tribute album, Holy Dio: A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio, the one that has all the power metal bands doing covers of songs from across his career. Power metal is a genre massively influenced by Dio's work, so therefore it seems a bit more... fitting, for lack of a better word, to have such bands doing covers of his material. If anyone's never picked up that album by the way, I highly recommend it. The Yngwie cover of Gates of Babylon and Stratovarius's version of Kill the King are awesome.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
15.01.2012 - 18:44
vezzy
Stallmanite
I'm neutral concerning tribute albums. Some covers can be pretty good (see Cathedral's cover of "Solitude" off Nativity in Black), but often they are nothing noteworthy or downright boring (Slatanic Slaughter or some shit, although YMMV, since I don't remember much of it).
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
15.01.2012 - 18:50
moe5512

I think that Dio's death is old news already, this just feels like a way for the producers to get lodz of moneez
15.01.2012 - 18:54
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Irritable Ted on 15.01.2012 at 13:54

Hope they make a good job of it. Maybe they can do some of the more obsure songs, not just Holy Diver and Long Live Rock And Roll.

I agree but I doubt they will do less known songs like you say, that would be an awesome surprise.
15.01.2012 - 18:54
RavenKing

Written by moe5512 on 15.01.2012 at 18:50

I think that Dio's death is old news already, this just feels like a way for the producers to get lodz of moneez

This is old news, Imo. He passed away almost 2 years ago.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
15.01.2012 - 19:04
JohnDoe
Account deleted

this will be done for charity reasons. So the "lodz of moneez" will go for charity.
15.01.2012 - 20:09
Berserk

Chris Jericho? way to try and get that WWE nonsense into this... Sure, he's in a metal band, but he's definetly not a METAL legend.
----
Fear the Old Blood
15.01.2012 - 20:21
moe5512

Written by Guest on 15.01.2012 at 19:04

this will be done for charity reasons. So the "lodz of moneez" will go for charity.

That they claim, yes
15.01.2012 - 21:25
AndMetalForAll
kual21
Great news!!
----
greets,
kual21
15.01.2012 - 21:43
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by moe5512 on 15.01.2012 at 20:21

Written by Guest on 15.01.2012 at 19:04

That they claim, yes

If Wendy Dio is involved, YES.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
15.01.2012 - 22:18
Iron Nostarion
Maiden Whore
Written by Berserk on 15.01.2012 at 20:09

Chris Jericho? way to try and get that WWE nonsense into this... Sure, he's in a metal band, but he's definetly not a METAL legend.

I was going to joke about Chris Jericho being a wrestler name and thought the musician was someone else, but now I'm really amazed. XD
----
To their tombs the people are immured,
There is their gold, treasure and wealth,
The only condition is to ignore them,
Those who feed on corruption and weave death
15.01.2012 - 22:49
malaikat

Seriously, who is this Fozzy person and why is he relevant.
15.01.2012 - 23:40
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by malaikat on 15.01.2012 at 22:49
Seriously, who is this Fozzy person and why is he relevant.

Fozzy is Chris Jericho's heavy metal band... he's best known for his work in the WWF/WWE.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.01.2012 - 01:19
Olli

None of these talented musicians will be able to bring the power that Dios vocals added to his songs. It will be an interesting listen though.
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
16.01.2012 - 01:36
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Come on Maiden, come on Metallica, come on Diamond Head; Sabbath, Priest and Motorhead are waiting for you to complete the lineup. Only legends should honor him. Only soldiers from the dark times should sing his praises.
16.01.2012 - 06:52
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Well, I'm down. If it's better than the To Heaven Through Hell, I'll be satisfied.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
16.01.2012 - 07:06
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
I already love the concept, but I have to wonder why Ian Gillan is credited as being in Black Sabbath rather than Deep Purple. Yes, I realize he was actually IN Sabbath, but Deep Purple is where the magic happened. That's common knowledge.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
16.01.2012 - 08:03
Lethean
Account deleted

I got the same idea
16.01.2012 - 10:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 16.01.2012 at 07:06

I already love the concept, but I have to wonder why Ian Gillan is credited as being in Black Sabbath rather than Deep Purple. Yes, I realize he was actually IN Sabbath, but Deep Purple is where the magic happened. That's common knowledge.

same applies to Glen Hughes
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.01.2012 - 10:11
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.01.2012 at 10:08

Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 16.01.2012 at 07:06

same applies to Glen Hughes

Yeah, I didn't even notice that. They could have listed his impressive credits in the space where Sebastian Bach is now.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
16.01.2012 - 10:55
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by BitterCOld on 15.01.2012 at 21:43
If Wendy Dio is involved, YES.

Yep. As this tribute is officially endorsed by Wendy, it almost certainly means the proceeds from this album will be going to charity.

With the exception of Chris Jericho, who is anything but a metal legend, and shouldn't be included on this, I'm happy with how the lineup is looking thus far. Ronnie does deserve some of the top names in metal and true legends to pay tribute to him. Although it is unfortunately unlikely that we will get any less well known-songs turning up on this album, I'm still pretty excited for this.
16.01.2012 - 10:58
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Well, Gillen was Dio's replacement in Sabbath, so maybe the man Dio replaced will turn up. Anyone else curious to hear Ozzy sing Heavan & Hell?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
16.01.2012 - 11:03
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by M C Vice on 16.01.2012 at 10:58

Well, Gillen was Dio's replacement in Sabbath, so maybe the man Dio replaced will turn up. Anyone else curious to hear Ozzy sing Heavan & Hell?

He was, and I think "Born Again" is a very underrated album, although it's production is awful. There was a lot of animosity between Ozzy and Ronnie whilst Ronnie was still alive, so I'm not sure if he will be involved or not. Though I can't deny, it would be interesting to hear Ozzy do one of Ronnie's classics, and it would be a very fitting tribute.
16.01.2012 - 11:52
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Hmm, Ozzy singing Heaven and Hell would sound pretty out of place imo though I would still be quite interested in hearing it. actually I kinda hope they'll do at least one song off the Dio stuff on this 2012 tour.
16.01.2012 - 12:01
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Angelic Storm on 16.01.2012 at 11:03

Written by M C Vice on 16.01.2012 at 10:58

He was, and I think "Born Again" is a very underrated album, although it's production is awful. There was a lot of animosity between Ozzy and Ronnie whilst Ronnie was still alive, so I'm not sure if he will be involved or not. Though I can't deny, it would be interesting to hear Ozzy do one of Ronnie's classics, and it would be a very fitting tribute. I wonder if there's a way they could edit that together (it would rely on Dio having sung it sometime, though.)

I've always thought that Over To You, the last song Ozzy sang on Never Say Die, would have worked well as a duet with Dio - sort of handing the raighns over to his successor ("I handed my future over to you").
I also reckon that Rising, Streetwalker, I, Fear and I Could Have Been A Dreamer should be on it (with Bruce Dickenson doing Streetwalker, or maybe Halford or Kiske).
And the guy who replaced Dio in Rainbow should be there, too. Also, I reckon Born Again was better than Mob Rules.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
17.01.2012 - 01:27
RavenKing

Written by Angelic Storm on 16.01.2012 at 10:55

With the exception of Chris Jericho, who is anything but a metal legend, and shouldn't be included on this, I'm happy with how the lineup is looking thus far.

I think Sebitchian Back is anything but a metal legend either and I wonder what the hell he's doing there.
Skid Row is not even a metal band.
----
17.01.2012 - 01:34
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by RavenKing on 17.01.2012 at 01:27
I think Sebitchian Back is anything but a metal legend either and I wonder what the hell he's doing there.

Well, at least that is a matter for debate. Also, Ronnie was a legend of hard rock as well as metal, so even if what you said was true, then Sebastian has a right to be on it. Or at least, more of a right than Chris Jericho, who is major claim to fame is "wrestling", not rock or metal.
17.01.2012 - 01:43
RavenKing

Written by Angelic Storm on 17.01.2012 at 01:34

Written by RavenKing on 17.01.2012 at 01:27

Well, at least that is a matter for debate. Also, Ronnie was a legend of hard rock as well as metal, so even if what you said was true, then Sebastian has a right to be on it. Or at least, more of a right than Chris Jericho, who is major claim to fame is "wrestling", not rock or metal.

I see where you're coming from but I think Sebastian Back is simply too young, anyway. He doesn't belong to the same group of (old) metalheads like the others. I mean, people around Dio's age.
----

Hits total: 6078 | This month: 11