Metal Storm logo
Bathory

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 18.05.2006 - 12:56
What can I say about one of the most influential bands in history? Bathory ranged from thrash, to black, to viking metal, two of which he pioneered. In all honesty, I prefer this band over Burzum and Mayhem anyday (not in relation to style).

My fave album is predictably 'Blood Fire Death'. Just an amazing combination of styles with a wonderful atmosphere, song writing and presence. A godlike album in my eyes. 'Bathory' and 'Under the Sign of the Black Mark' come very close however with their blackened thrash briliiance.

Anyway, RIP Quorthon.
13.05.2011 - 23:58
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by Lord_Regnier on 27.03.2009 at 02:11

I absolutely love Bathory's Black Metal albums (their first 4 albums).

But I don't like anything they have done after "Blood Fire Death". Their viking metal albums are too atmospheric for my tastes (I'm really not fond of viking metal in general). As for their Thrash albums, I think vocals are so awful they ruin everything.

Their BM period is very interesting, imo. Bathory was the first band ever to play BM. Hellhammer/early Celtic Frost and Venom were old school Thrash Metal, not BM. Among the bands that are considered as the first wave of BM, only Bathory sound close to BM as we know it nowadays.

What? The vikings albuns are just amazing, and i think the black metal albuns too (but i prefer the bathory viking era ). Twilight of the gods is one of the best! I can almost see the mist when listening for the first two tracks... )
14.05.2011 - 01:41
ANGEL REAPER
Fuck i think i have listened to Bathory and The return like 10000000000000000 times so far like almost whole Under the..... album and i dont like Blood Fire Death album except for 3 songs from there.... Hammerheart is my favorite so far and Twilight is pretty damn.... Blood on ice is cool and Destroyer of worlds is decent piece of Trash metal....Nordland saga is also briliant ,just i Quorthon died before he was able to finish it....
Only thing i absolutely hate is those Requiem and Octagon albums.....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
14.05.2011 - 13:16
Bulletdodger
I love the first 6 albums , the others are not bad , but the first 6 are pure awesomenes.
----
Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können.
David Hilbert
14.05.2011 - 18:20
RavenKing
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 14.05.2011 at 01:41

And with good reason. Those albums are so awful, saying they suck is a compliment.
Personally, I don't like any Bathory album after "Blood Fire Death".
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
14.05.2011 - 18:26
ANGEL REAPER
Written by RavenKing on 14.05.2011 at 18:20

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 14.05.2011 at 01:41

And with good reason. Those albums are so awful, saying they suck is a compliment.
Personally, I don't like any Bathory album after "Blood Fire Death".

well i agree with you on those two...
I like Hammerheart and twilight albums ,but not big fan of Blood Fire Death becaouse i really dont like those fast songs that are there....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
15.01.2012 - 03:30
Corax
Good ol' Bathory has gotten a lot of verbal beating because of the later albums. As BulletDodger said, the last bunch of albums weren't rubbish, they just didn't reach the same massive weight, height and width as the earlier ones. I'd say the mid period is the best, when things are progressing. Bathory's early period is way to overrated, the late period is way too underrated.
15.01.2012 - 11:23
Savopipo
When the first Bathory album was released I bought it and recorded a tape with it and then I played that tape more or less constantly for at least four days. At the time it was the most extreme shit you could by in a normal record shop and noone that I played it to could understand what I saw in it. The second album didn't give me the same feeling and after that I lost interest.
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
06.07.2017 - 17:49
Hammerheart is an incredible album! I think the way Qurothon built this creepy, foreboding atmosphere around his very Viking-esque vocal approach was absolutely perfect. I really love the short pauses in the deep sounding drums too. The whole album really just screams Viking war songs on a ship sailing towards battle...awesomeness!