Metal Storm logo
Immortal: Best To Worst

Each album was listened to thoroughly enough to put it in its right place here. So, for now, hail Immortal, the mighty kings of northern darkness!!

Created by: Oaken | 18.01.2012

1. Immortal - At The Heart Of Winter
The heart of Immortal's discography is probably their best. Not a single track disappoints. All of them are played with a spirit that is stronger than the fury of a viking warrior, and with a performance that certainly proves to be outstanding and bedazzling. The black/thrash mix here is legendary and far from being cheesy. So, I congratulate Immortal for creating this masterpiece that will remain in my heart forever. Highlight Track: "Withstand The Fall Of Time".
2. Immortal - Battles In The North
The best pure-black album delivered by Immortal. The atmosphere on "Battles" is one of black metal's best. The whole sound is very harsh, with some bad BM-production, but unlike "Pure", the riffs here are not too chaotic, and Abbath, the tr00 tadpole, has grown into a mature frog. His croaks are marvellous, and his drumming doesn't fall behind. A-stuff. Not easy to digest, but kickass. Highlight Track: "Blashyrkh".
3. Immortal - Sons Of Northern Darkness
"Sons" is Immortal's return to awesomeness. After "Damned", they returned to "ATHOW"'s black/thrash sound, adding brutality and better production to the formula. Abbath is as breathtaking as ever, vocally and instrumentally, and Horgh delivers his best performance. Together, they succeed in creating a thick atmosphere reminiscent of the frozen lands of Antarctica. Highlight Track: "Sons Of Northern Darkness".
4. Immortal - Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism
An underrated effort that showcases Immortal in their younger, less-polished state. Abbath's shrieks are REALLY evil, the sound is by definition "tr00", and the riffs are some of the band's best in their early career, but what really makes this album something great are the demonic solos here and there. Highlight Track: "Unholy Forces Of Evil".
5. Immortal - Pure Holocaust
You won't kill me, right? Well, this album is excellent black metal, but the chaotic storm that this album is makes it really hard to decipher. Sure thing, there are some first-class tracks over here, but none of them match the evil unleashed by "Diabolical" or the brutality that is "Battles". The sound is on "Pure" is a holocaust in terms of chaos, and lacks that power that is featured in "Battles". Highlight Track: "A Sign For The Norse Hordes To Ride".
6. Immortal - All Shall Fall
After reforming, Immortal released All Shall Fall, and it's such a wonderful return I have to say. Retaining their thrashy sound from Sons, Immortal release a great album, that despite not being as aggressive as the previous releases, contains very solid material. The songwriting is catchy and varied, the production is fits the music well and the performance is very tight. Abbath doesn't sound as strong as before, as if age has taken its toll on him. Nevertheless, this is a great return that should not be missed by fans of the band.
7. Immortal - Damned In Black
"Damned" would have been a masterpiece if Immortal was a thrash band, but they aren't, so "Damned" is not a masterpiece. "Damned" takes a very sharp turn from the band's black metal sound, both music-wise and production-wise. We hear some mighty thrash riffage here, but it just lacks the spirit found on other Immortal album. There's no grimness like on "Diabolical", and there's no epic music like on "ATHOW". So, like "Beasts", "Damned" is uninspired. But good nevertheless. Highlight Track: "Wrath From Above".
8. Immortal - Blizzard Beasts
Not bad, but completely uninspired. I think of "Beasts" as a transition point between Immortal's black metal albums and their later thrashy counterparts, nothing more than that. On "Beasts", the riffs seem lost between black and thrash metal, but Abbath's shrieks are as croaky as usual, and Horgh delivers a good performance. Highlight Track: "Mountains Of Might".

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Oaken ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 26   Visited by: 231 users
18.01.2012 - 00:46
Lokaeda
Account deleted
"The black/thrash mix here"
18.01.2012 - 00:53
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Guest on 18.01.2012 at 00:46

"The black/thrash mix here"

What do you mean?
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
18.01.2012 - 00:56
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Battles over Sons? Pure Holocaust so low? Diabolical so high?

Eh, it's your opinion of course.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.01.2012 - 00:57
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.01.2012 at 00:56

Certainly. Especially the first one. Battles slays balls.
----
18.01.2012 - 01:14
Lokaeda
Account deleted
Written by Oaken on 18.01.2012 at 00:53

What do you mean?

That to me it's much more a Heavy touch rather than a Thrash touch. And I also agree with Troy but like he says, it's your opinion
18.01.2012 - 15:16
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Guest on 18.01.2012 at 01:14

Written by Oaken on 18.01.2012 at 00:53

What do you mean?

That to me it's much more a Heavy touch rather than a Thrash touch. And I also agree with Troy but like he says, it's your opinion

By heavy you probably mean "motorhead-influenced", and I never listened tom Motorhead in the first place to decide...
----
18.01.2012 - 15:35
Lokaeda
Account deleted
Written by Oaken on 18.01.2012 at 15:16

By heavy you probably mean "motorhead-influenced", and I never listened tom Motorhead in the first place to decide...

Not that much Motörhead (that I don't like btw). I mean, I feel those albums are the prelude to the I and Demonaz albums, that are heavily Bathory/Manowar influenced (imo).
18.01.2012 - 16:29
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Guest on 18.01.2012 at 15:35

Written by Oaken on 18.01.2012 at 15:16

Not that much Motörhead (that I don't like btw). I mean, I feel those albums are the prelude to the I and Demonaz albums, that are heavily Bathory/Manowar influenced (imo).

Haven't listened to these too!
----
19.01.2012 - 21:26
Milena
gloom cookie
Beastie is making lists again.
----
7.0 means the album is good
19.01.2012 - 21:31
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Milena on 19.01.2012 at 21:26

Beastie is making non-poser lists.

http://www.metalstorm.net/users/Ashbringer/profile Look at favorite bands list.
Your post has been fixed.
----
19.01.2012 - 21:36
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Oaken on 19.01.2012 at 21:31

Your post has been fixed.

If that is indeed true, I'm most certainly glad.
----
7.0 means the album is good
19.01.2012 - 22:04
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Milena on 19.01.2012 at 21:36
If that is indeed true, I'm most certainly glad.

Seventh sign of the apocalypse.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
19.01.2012 - 22:41
@gent_-_orange

Beastofmetal is back? Welcome back. If it is you Beast I think you know I Disagree with the placements on this list. But Immortal discography is consistent enough that you could choose 3 or 4 albums as your favourite.
19.01.2012 - 23:43
Oaken
Hipster
Written by @gent_-_orange on 19.01.2012 at 22:41

Beastofmetal is back? Welcome back. If it is you Beast I think you know I Disagree with the placements on this list. But Immortal discography is consistent enough that you could choose 3 or 4 albums as your favourite.

I'm back, but without passion. You probably won't be seeing me here as often as you used to. I lost passion in the music... That sucks.
----
20.01.2012 - 10:44
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Where's All Shall Fall?
I wanna hear Abbath do a cover of The Rainbow connection (originally by Kermit The Frog).
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
31.03.2012 - 20:31
Night Sight

Yes where is all shall fall? it's in second position for me ,and i think sons of northern darkness should be above the battles
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
31.03.2012 - 21:03
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Night Sight on 31.03.2012 at 20:31

Yes where is all shall fall? it's in second position for me ,and i think sons of northern darkness should be above the battles

I'll add it soon, and I personally prefer Battles over Sons.
----
30.06.2012 - 01:16
Oaken
Hipster
EDIT: Added All Shall Fall.
----
06.09.2012 - 17:04
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Lustful Maid on 06.09.2012 at 16:59

Wow, this list is APOS !

This list portrays my opinion, and if you agree with it, you're welcome. If you don't agree with it, you're still welcome as long as you stay respectable. But when you start saying my list is a piece of shit, I lose my respect for you.
So go on, tell me what's exactly shitty about this list.
----
07.09.2012 - 03:12
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Lustful Maid on 06.09.2012 at 20:48

Criticism is only restricted to the list. I am sorry if your feeling has been hurt.

( Immortal - Battles In The North
....The whole sound is very harsh,.....but unlike "Pure", the riffs here are not too chaotic ....)

Black Metal is Symphony of Darkness, not many black metal fans really can handle the skill in listening. A lot of your opinions up there are very misleading. I am afraid that new black metal listeners might be wrongly directed by your comments.

This is list isn't made for helping people get into black metal, it's my opinion only. And BTW, black metal isn't a symphony of darkness. If it's chaotic i.e. comes off as white noise, it sucks IMO.
----
01.07.2014 - 06:52
Incalus

Blizzard Beasts >>> Battle In The North...
01.07.2014 - 16:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
All Shall Fall was a fail and should be last. Their only bad album. The rest is good and hard to put in order of preference for me.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.08.2014 - 17:37
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.01.2012 at 00:56

Eh, it's your opinion of course.

Have to join, and Damned would be over Battles for me at least
----
23.08.2014 - 18:16
Ilham
Giant robot
Damned In Black so low. Sons Of Northern Darkness not #1. I'm out of here.
23.08.2014 - 23:44
ANGEL REAPER

I dont like Battles in The North ,but people seems to like that album.
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
20.03.2022 - 10:19
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Quote:
Abbath, the tr00 tadpole, has grown into a mature frog. His croaks are marvellous

That's wonderful
All hail the singing frog of Blashyrkh!

Hits total: 26584 | This month: 10