Metal Storm logo
Meshuggah

Original post

Posted by , 18.05.2006 - 13:14
A truly groundbreaking and highly distinctive band best know for using complex polymetric passages and time changes with gutteral barking vocals, chugging riffs and some absurd drum work. Pretty much responsible for smashing the conventions and preconceptions of metal.

Their obvious masterpiece is 'Destroy Erase Improve' which houses the wicked song 'Future Breed Machine'. Other briliant work include the uber aggressive 'Chaosphere' and the 21 minute experimental ep 'I'

It took me ages to fully appreciate this band and I saw them live before knowing any of their music. Heh, trying to headband along to these guys is a near impossiblity. Fantastic band and the members are a great bunch of guys with a fantasic sense of humour.
24.01.2008 - 10:37
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Loana dP Valencia of Nuclear Blast Records USA recently sat down with Tomas Haake and Mårten Hagström to discuss music, guitar, drumming, and the group's new album, "ObZen". You cand watch the 29-minute video at this location.
25.01.2008 - 03:26
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Got hold of "ObZen" a few days ago after the song 'Bleed' got leaked, afterwhich i was totally blown away. Possibly their heaviest song to date the guitars sound like 10 000 tanks shooting at once lol However hopeful i was after that i was a bit disappointed when i heard the rest of the album, which isnt like that song at all. I was hoping (after hearing Bleed) that a return to the "Chaosphere" or "Detroy Erase Improve" days but sadly not. In fact there are very few stand out tracks and all sound a little monotonous and slow like the previous 2 albums. A couple of fast songs like "Combustion" but the drumming is a little repetitive and the snare sounds like a sound-check, just repeatedly being bashed over and over...most songs just seem to start off and sort of flow on until they end after about 5 minutes each. "Pineal Gland Optics" is pretty awesome though, the main riff in it is insane.....perhaps the rest will grow on me, everything is just a bit...too groovy (for lack of better term).

Who knows...maybe in a few listens i will b e blown away or at least find a really stand-out track.
25.01.2008 - 17:07
/ELVET (O)
Account deleted
I can honestly say that I adore the new Meshuggah, perhaps not as much as Catch 33 but it's till one of the best things they've ever done. The first track is certainly on odd one but it's great nonetheless, one of my fave on the album. The sheer technicality of some of the songs is superb, especially seeing as they use a human drummer again. Overall it does encompass a huge range of what they've done so far which I think is why it'll appeal to a wide range. Amazing stuff.
22.02.2008 - 17:06
NOИ

I heard ObZen in a promo version with crappy sound, dont like it and delete it. I prefer their old songs like Spasm and offcourse my favourite New Millennium Cyanide Christ!
07.03.2008 - 02:23
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
They kick assss !! I didn't like Catch33 though, it's all one giant song split into pieces (individual tracks) and I don't like that. Nothing was good. ObZen is either out or coming out, I'll check it out on their myspace in a minute.
07.03.2008 - 08:42
NOИ

if you are a fan, perhaps you will like it! I am not that's why I don't like it so much.
08.03.2008 - 04:39
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
^^^ Hmmmm yess, it's good material, I'm downloading the first 5 tracks right now (I heard a couple tracks from their myspace page last night), great material!
09.03.2008 - 04:55
I, The Quatropus

The first time ever listening to Meshuggah was when I had this one metal compilation CD which had Rational Gaze on it. This was about 8th grade when I started listening to them. So, after that, I went home and ordered Chaosphere online and my bro went out and bought Nothing. I haven't really gotten a chance to hear all of DEI and Contradictions (shortened them), but I was able to hear some songs my bro had and it was amazing. I loved I and I love Catch33. I want to hear obZen, it's probably epic like all the others.
----
Burzum did it for the lulz
29.04.2008 - 08:30
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
I myself am not a fan. I saw the length of a Catch 33 (I'm a prog fan) and was absolutely ecstatic. I was not impressed at all. There was nothing to the song, simply repeated over and over, and those riffs...so repetitive and chugging...nothing sucks more than chugging riffs. I've listened to a lot of talented bands, so it would be unfair to say they aren't talented, but amazing and innovative? In my opinion fuck no! Worthless song writing (yes song writing is important in music) and of course awful lyrics. I thought my fortunes would improve with Destroy Erase Improve...but alas they did not. In fact that album was probably even worse than Catch 33. I tried again when i heard some stuff off of ObZen (rather ingenious title huh? I kid of course), you can litterally get up and not listen to half of the material, come back and not have missed a thing. That is sad when such a thing can happen. Idk if i can do this or not but a guy named cinedracusio from the metal archives said it perfectly so I will quote him here "Meshuggah is one of the bands to prove repeatedly that the 'thinking man's metal' label may flatter the listener, but nonetheless bore him or her to tears." I've heard much more talented bands so these guys didn't and never will do it for me...thats my opinion take it (most won't haha) or leave it...
01.05.2008 - 01:54
addiction

completely, 100% disagree with the post above mine....their music is not exactly like progressive metal that you need some time to comprehend and take in slowly....and yes you will find it repetitive if you listen to their songs casually as you so obviously did...
i dont like stupid labels like 'thinking mans metal' and crap like that, that people that want to be different and 'smart' invent without asking the band what they think about such labels....they do find that label stupid....because it is....
apart from that though they do write nice songs (song writing exists if you actually pay attention....), but it is very difficult to get into them and you have to like the overall sound to pay more attention to their songs....but its ok if you couldnt hear anything more than repetitive riffs over and over...not everyone has an ear for such music....
----
alive in the superunknown
01.05.2008 - 03:44
TheVonBraun
Account deleted
I totally agree with OP- they're pretty awesomely ground breaking.

and I have the new album ObZen, and I really like it.

its only downside is that most of it is so complex and technical that it demands your attention, so its not really a sit-back-and-drive kinda album, if you know what I mean.

fav songs on it: Combustion, Bleed (ofc), ObZen, Pravus
25.01.2010 - 13:26
Xenomorph

Obzen is fucking metal genuis man. them again im a huge fan. so anything they do is fucking awsome to me. Obzen is hell of a song to play on the drums
28.06.2011 - 17:54
JD
Account deleted
What the best release to start with this band? i already listened so many times to their album "Nothing" and i watched the bonus DVD, its average\good, but am not sure yet, maybe this band isn't my type, or its just an average album.
29.06.2011 - 02:05
(((O)))

Written by Guest on 28.06.2011 at 17:54

What the best release to start with this band? i already listened so many times to their album "Nothing" and i watched the bonus DVD, its average\good, but am not sure yet, maybe this band isn't my type, or its just an average album.

The "I" EP is the best Meshuggah release if you ask me, it's just one track that is 21 minutes, I just wish it was longer.
01.07.2011 - 13:09
JD
Account deleted
Written by (((O))) on 29.06.2011 at 02:05

Written by Guest on 28.06.2011 at 17:54

The "I" EP is the best Meshuggah release if you ask me, it's just one track that is 21 minutes, I just wish it was longer.

Thanks for the suggestion, i will give it a try soon
01.07.2011 - 16:31
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
"I" might be a bit much for your first listen though. I'd always recommend Destroy Erase Improve first. Sums up Meshuggah's flavour with plenty of catchy and memorable songs.
01.07.2011 - 17:55
Dööm

Written by Guest on 01.07.2011 at 16:31

"I" might be a bit much for your first listen though. I'd always recommend Destroy Erase Improve first. Sums up Meshuggah's flavour with plenty of catchy and memorable songs.

I second that.
02.05.2012 - 08:41
Void Eater
Account deleted
Just saw them live. If you haven't, do it. Pretty much the greatest thing ever. It's like being in a small Japanese town 50 miles away from Hiroshima and seeing the explosion in person, but like 10 times more intense.
02.05.2012 - 10:14
Zombie94

Written by Guest on 02.05.2012 at 08:41

Just saw them live. If you haven't, do it. Pretty much the greatest thing ever. It's like being in a small Japanese town 50 miles away from Hiroshima and seeing the explosion in person, but like 10 times more intense.

I've heard that the mosh pits at a Meshuggah show are something special
02.05.2012 - 12:01
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Guest on 02.05.2012 at 08:41

Hmmm, I saw them live a year back. They looked and sounded great, but I walked out after 4 songs (or was it one?) coz I was bored :/
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
02.05.2012 - 15:50
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Zombie94 on 02.05.2012 at 10:14

I've heard that the mosh pits at a Meshuggah show are something special

I really wonder how the fuck does the moshpit react to Shuggah's strange grooves from their latest efforts. I picture it something like moshing in the moon.

It's impressive how this band is either insanely awesome or boring for most people.
16.06.2020 - 19:13
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Summer 2020 UPDATE

It will hardly come as a surprise to anyone that all of Meshuggah's shows previously announced for the summer period of June and July 2020 will be either postponed or cancelled due to current Covid-19 pandemic. We are in discussions with all the festivals and promoters with the intention of finding a new date for the events but in the end some shows might still have to be cancelled. Please bear with us and we'll share the latest updates on Meshuggah's sites as soon as we have news for you all.

Source: Band's Facebook page