02. Beaten Bloodied Broken
03. Judas Complex
04. Eve of Deceit
05. Lies of the Betrayer
06. Nazi's Torch
07. Road To Ruin
08. Final Doom
09. Pro A Pera Argentum

Depending on what track you throw on first, you'll either immediately love this album, or immediately laugh at it. Take the title track; it kicks off with a riff that sounds like it was ripped straight from Ashes Of The Wake, moseys into a pretty lame, mid-paced opening verse, then proceeds to stumble around with some pop metalcore-esque clean vocals. It's not a good song. But it doesn't come close to capturing the sonic goodness of some of the other tracks on this. Judas Complex fluctuates pretty manically from being interesting, to being anodyne, brutal and crazy sounding, to being just plain mushy.

It goes from sounding almost strictly Lamb Of God-inspired, to sounding more Psycroptic-esque, to sounding pretty whiny. Then there will be moments that have a Benighted-brand touch of insanity. The album goes all over the place, both into boring, overdone, heard-it-before regions and into more straight-forward fun ones. And it's the variation on this that makes it an entertaining listen. It isn't just a modern-metal clone, nor is it purely for the people who just want to put their head through walls. Rather than just being your average death metal album, Judas Complex incorporates both proggish meandering and some more straight-forward slamming that makes it pretty fucking cool.

If you can get past the occasionally lame cleans, a suspiciously familiar riff or two, and the preachy sound-bites thrown in here and there, there's a really solid death metal album somewhere in this.

Written on 25.01.2012 by Wormdrink's real name is George and he's an American.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 148 users
25.01.2012 - 14:52
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I think I'm going to check this out.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
25.01.2012 - 18:13
Edmund Fogg
Haha from the review it sounds more like a comp. then an album. Still got me curious.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
25.01.2012 - 18:46
Coconut Racecar
Although i thought this would be a more well liked suggestion i'm glad that it was added and even reviewed . but after reading this it really does make sense that the album is pretty all over the place. i guess i just never realized it until someone else brought it to my attention.
12.03.2013 - 03:49
3xcalibur
I think this band is great!!! I have noticed though, that all the reviews on forums that I've read about them mention them being death metal... I don't think they sound like death metal (other than a riff or two and some occasional brutal vocals). Some strange hybrid like brutal/melodic/thrash or something comes to mind.... Their newer stuff even sounds like Shadows Fall or in that vein. Interesting depiction of Judas Complex though. Very thought provoking.
15.12.2013 - 14:22
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Spot on review

Hits total: 4158 | This month: 20