03. Tomorrow Might Never Come
04. Blind Sheep
05. No More Blood
06. Impostors
07. Whirl Of Death
08. Under Control
09. Chimera
10. Awaken The Sun

When it comes to standard death metal, the term songwriting is more important than in many other genres. No one asks for originality, people who play death metal riffs must know how to work with their instruments and the production is focused on brutal blasting in nearly every album. Therefore, it is quite easy for an album to fail and now I'd like to present this wonderful example, Sold Out by Awakening Sun.

What you get here is death metal in its most typical forms, containing extremely fast riffs, blast beaten drums, riding bass lines and deep dark vocals. There also are slow, doom influenced passages, some rare melodic leads and solos. Now it's mainly two things which are really bad on this record, namely vocals and songwriting. I better start with the first problem. It's not as if the vocals were not fitting; they attempt to be deep guttural death vocals. But they are not. The growlings have some amateur touch, like the singer does it only as a hobby. There is actually nothing professional in it. I have heard the same talent already in an unknown black metal release that came out somewhere during the late 90's, but there it felt much better. And so is my first advice to the band: Get a professional vocalist!

The second problem I've already spoken of is the bad songwriting. It is not as if there were only shitty riffs, there are actually some good ones, but some passages are way too generic while others are so dissonant that you think it's the most nasty doom metal you've heard in years. Best example for a most generic riff can be found in the track "No More Blood" at 0.16 and somewhere later in the song. It sounds like it was stolen from a practice CD for guitar newbies and the only appropriate question here is: "Are you fucking serious with that???" But other songs are bad examples too, after the first minute you just stop listening. Ok, second bit of advice: Try it with communal songwriting, so various ideas can replace the boring 48 minute song that this album is.

But after all criticism, there are also two positive sides worth being mentioned. First one is the guitars, especially the lead guitars, there is much talent in it. Badass riffs in the style of Amon Amarth are played very clean and accurate, solos are included and well played too. Second thing is the production, which is a blast when you see that this band is yet unsigned. Only stigma on it is that it's maybe too crystal clear, what about some dirty tune in it at least? Finally I could pick a song which is the highlight in my eyes, because it's at least good, and the name is "Tomorrow Might Never Come." I like the chorus and it's a bit varied from the other tracks.

To conclude, this album isn't good. Even a death metal maniac might avoid it, but as always there will be people who like it because of some reasons that are beyond my thoughts. Last word to Awakening Sun: Think about the advice above and do it better next time!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 4
Originality: 4
Production: 8

Written by Windrider | 26.01.2012

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 117 users
27.01.2012 - 02:43
Chainer
Witch Hunter Gen
Listened to a few tracks on Youtube, they didn't sound too bad. Must be the cumulative effect of all the tracks that breeds such boredom?
----
Written by Dangerboner on 02.11.2009 at 08:11

Everything he doesn't like is metalcore. Britney Spears, Elton John, Michael Moore, and green beans are also metalcore, in case you guys didn't know.
27.01.2012 - 22:02
Rating: 5
Windrider
Raureif
Written by Chainer on 27.01.2012 at 02:43

Listened to a few tracks on Youtube, they didn't sound too bad. Must be the cumulative effect of all the tracks that breeds such boredom?

It's not boredom mainly, it's just the riffs which are no good. It aint a pleasure to listen, right after I was finished with the review I needed some Kataklysm to see death metal can be better
28.01.2012 - 15:04
Edmund Fogg
Written by Windrider on 27.01.2012 at 22:02

It's not boredom mainly, it's just the riffs which are no good. It aint a pleasure to listen, right after I was finished with the review I needed some Kataklysm to see death metal can be better

And then some good Ex Deo to see that finally anyone can be as bad as Awakening Sun.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan

Hits total: 3838 | This month: 6